Very intrested in learning the trade

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Sarah in East Wareham, Massachusetts

85 months ago

Hello, im a 25yo female in MA. Im intrested in learning the trade and making it a career. How can i go about doing this? Do i need to attend trade school or can i et a decent entry level job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dennis in Toronto, Ontario

85 months ago

My advise is to attend a basic welding course,this will give potential employers at least something in writing,second,attend an advanced course to attain you're tickets,then there's no excuse not to hire you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Randolph Scott in Rock, West Virginia

85 months ago

As someone who spent over 10 years in the steel fabrication business, here's my advice:

If you don't know to weld, go to trade school, that way you'll learn how to do everything right without getting bad habits that will be hard to break.

Once you finish school, get your AWS Certification in as man areas as possible and keep them, most of our customers required all of the welding to be done by certified welders. If you're not certified it limits the work you can do, we'd prefer to hire someone that could weld on any job vs. being able to weld only on a few jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rodney R. in New Smyrna Beach, Florida

82 months ago

Hey There.

Nice to see a woman who is looking to get into the trade. If I would also advise that you attend a welding tech course to get the basics down. Dependant on YOU it can take as little as 1 year or as long as it takes. I took a welding course that lasted for two years and it actually did little to prepare me for ht e real world outside of the classroom that comes with actual hands on experience. If you want to learn something tat can garner you a very high salary with a lot of employment opportunities I would suggest that you concentrate on learning how to weld tubes. Tube welders are highly sought after in the welding industry. They are at the very top of the pay scale and there's just not that many of us out there. ANY boiler company or power/gas plant will give you a job. I travel the country pulling my fifth wheel and I average around 150K per year in salary with an added 25k in per diem. Oh and as a bonus women make great tig welders. Some of the best tig welders I have met are women. Its a gently process that suits the delicate nature of a woman. I can tig weld with the best of them but it was harder for me to pick it up then most women do. It's a great way to make money and there will always be high paying jobs out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dusty potoski in Nanaimo, British Columbia

82 months ago

Sarah in East Wareham, Massachusetts said: Hello, im a 25yo female in MA. Im intrested in learning the trade and making it a career. How can i go about doing this? Do i need to attend trade school or can i et a decent entry level job?

the second most unhealthy trade next to a chinese coal miner. ive been doing it 10 years and ill be danmed if my son will be a welder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dennis in Mississauga, Ontario

82 months ago

Yeah...It can be dirty,But a nice clean TIG welding job would be nice,just to sit all daY and tig weld those small parts.AAAHHHH>.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mazhar saeed in Palo Alto, California

80 months ago

Sarah in East Wareham, Massachusetts said: Hello, im a 25yo female in MA. Im intrested in learning the trade and making it a career. How can i go about doing this? Do i need to attend trade school or can i et a decent entry level job?

u should first get certificate or diploma in this trade than join any field job and get experience.i can also help u note my email.mazharsaeed143@yahoo.com i have 10 years experience now i m working as multi welder in dubai onshore project whete are make rigs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

robert in Manassas, Virginia

80 months ago

the best thing for you is on the job training nothing beats it ,and wait a year or so to take test

harleyroadhogdawg in Tchula, Mississippi

77 months ago

yes attend trade school my rec.tulsa welding sch via tulsa===ok. you can get into every aspect of it the right way = = =i was offered a inst. position there but cant get off the road toooo much $$$$$$ right now oh and dont be fooled women make fine welders taught many ===

buckskin and diamonds in Saukville, Wisconsin

75 months ago

Hi i'm looking to get into the welding field too. I'm a 20yr female and I just started my first welding class at the local tech school in wisconsin. I was wondering how you've been doing with school and everything and what you've been up to with work. also to anyone else out there what are good welding schools to get into?

marekjagoda in Williamsville, Vermont

75 months ago

in my opinion its far better to learn on the job.
you get paid for your education, you have to start at a lower rate but its much more worthwhile i think. you do have to remember to keep your mind open to other trades and processes that you might not be doing in your current job, so as not to get ground down into one type of welding and thereby limiting yourself. be a pipe fitter girl. mj

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.