Welding Student Seeks Guidence From Veteran Welders!!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

dedicateddoug in Fort Collins, Colorado

63 months ago

My name is Doug Hall, 35, I am currently in my second semester of welding at frontrange community college. I plan on getting the associate degree in welding in the hopes it will make me more employable. I am taking MIG, TIG, and SMAW, Oxy welding/cutting, and possibly down the road Pipe.

I need some direction on where to get decent paying jobs locally or abroad. Which field is the best to get into? Which jobs you can actually enjoy. Should I go union down in Denver with Pipefitters or boiler makers? I have always wanted to move to Washington State or Oregon, Is there any ship building that goes on that way, or any other field I am not even aware of up that way. What about a Rookie making big money overseas/ offshore?

What websites are the best to learn about what is out there and to network and connect with others?

I thank anyone in advance for sharing any knowlege with me, or even sending me in the right direction....

Doug Hall

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sloboomer in Rock Hill, South Carolina

63 months ago

hi doug, im also looking for advice and guidence. i just finished my second semester and took all of the welding classes you mention including pipe.It's a little tough and intimidating just starting out so i know exactly how you feel. i have no imformation for you at the moment,but as i get something i'll definetly let you know.good luck and keep it up! charlie rock hill,s.c.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dustin in Windsor, Colorado

26 months ago

I also went thru welding school. its a good way to get your foot in the door and nice to know what's actually happening in the weld and metal. i would suggest going to temp agencies most places hire from them anyway. some advice for anyone from a school background is don't think you know more than anyone and if someone tries to help you take the advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.