Women Welders

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 303)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Melissa in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

65 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Quitman, Texas said: What I am finding is how bad the discrimination is in the field of pipeline welding. I had one man that I talked to about a welding job say that he thought it would be destracting to have a women working in the field. Another said he was not having a women welder on the job. I am sure if I wanted to weld on a ship in a ship yard right now I could but that is not the field I was interested in. I can get a job in a shop (been there done that, not interested) I have paid my dues. The question is how do you fight the discrimination?

Hey my opinion if you are certified and have the papers to prove it and they have an ad and they wont gibe you the opportunity then file a lawsuit against them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in East Texas in Winnsboro, Texas

65 months ago

I went to a trade school years ago that the goverment was offering the head of the household. They paid you while you went and they helped me with daycare. The best I think is a college. I talked to a guy that went to one of the trade schools that advertise on tv and you pay them big bucks to go to and he said they had to many students and not enough equipment. They had three student using one welder. You can not learn very much that way and the teacher is spread to thin. It cost alot of money and you can get just as much from a college class. maybe more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ana in Gijón, Spain

65 months ago

hi,
i´m from spain , i´m 32 years old and i´m also a welder, and it´s very difficult to find a job over here, they don´t want woman working on the field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Hi Ana I guess the ginder problem in the work force is live and well all over the world. Before this forum I thought it was just here in the United States. The only thing I can figure out is that they feel threated that a women can do the work that they do and some times even better. Just inscure people but I do know if you knock on enough doors one will open. Does not make it rignt but it is the way it is.

ana in Gijón, Spain

65 months ago

hi Sandy,
I agree with everything you say, i don´t know in the states but here in spain , there are not many women welding, so that´s why they don´t accept us in the field.I don´t have any problems once i start working, i mean with my work mates, but it´s hard to find a job.
How long have you been welding? if u don´t mind the question.
kind regards from spain

65 months ago

Started in 1972 and I am still welding. I have my own rig and shop. It truly has been a journey.

tig welder in Greenwood, Arkansas

64 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas said: I am a woman welder and have 35 year experience. Why is it so hard for men to accept a women out in the field. I am 6G certified have my own rig. I apply and they say they will call back but never do. I had one man tell me that he thought it would be to destracting to have a woman in the field. I have worked as a structural welder and was the only woman there. I did not stop production and I did not cause any accidents. What is it with all the excuses?

Like to know if you are still interested in a welding job ? We hire any qualified personnel to fill our positions. We are looking for a TIG welder - have you used a finger reostat before vs a foot pedal controller ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Quitman, Texas

64 months ago

I have used both. The one in my shop is operated by hand. I found it very hard to weld under a boat with a foot petal. I would tell a story on myself but I am not sure I should.

tig welder in Greenwood, Arkansas

64 months ago

I would request you send me a copy of your resume if you have one ?
Are you working now ? We are looking to hire a TIG welder currently with experience ideally using a finger reostat vs foot pedal due to the work / areas we weld in - typically small areas ie: kitchen sinks etc. It's ok to tell a story on yourself too by the way --
it's the human condition.

Sandy in Winnsboro, Texas

64 months ago

Where is this job located? The story is before I knew that they had a hand held device you could use, I was using the foot control and because I was under boats trying to weld upside down it was not easy to push on the foot petal laying on your back in some very odd positions, so I would call my neighbor and have her set next to the boat and push on the foot control and I would tell her to push more of less on the foot control. It worked. No one told me they had a hand held device I could buy. I went to my welding store and finally asked if there was anything to solve my problem. Wow! what a difference, it took me a little while to get use to it but now that is all I use.

christy trease in Wheatland, Missouri

63 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas said: I am a woman welder and have 35 year experience. Why is it so hard for men to accept a women out in the field. I am 6G certified have my own rig. I apply and they say they will call back but never do. I had one man tell me that he thought it would be to destracting to have a woman in the field. I have worked as a structural welder and was the only woman there. I did not stop production and I did not cause any accidents. What is it with all the excuses?

Thank you Sandy I am a woman welder, I have been welding 11 years i have always worked hard and grew up on a farm welding was the fastest shooling and most money i could make entry level and i love it there are still lots of old way thinking out there, i don't want to take a man's job just work equally and make the same wages to take care of my family i am the man of my family.

Monica Haines in Phoenix, Arizona

63 months ago

We are distracting...to them. Heck using multisyllabled words is distracting to them-LOL. We just have to remember that we are breaking down barriers for future women. And it is getting a little better when I came out of trade school twentyfive years ago it was no joke they didn't want you out there. Not even out of curiosity. Hang in there it took eons for them to quit dragging their knuckles.

Eula in Memphis, Tennessee

63 months ago

I'm a female G6 D.O.T Certifed Combanation Welder and I been at this for 32 years,just had my first accident Oct 17 2008.One of the guy's that I worked with had a problem with me being there because I made him look realy stupid,One day he hit's me in the mouth with a crain hook 2 day's later we almost fight because He tried to knock me off a ladder while I was rewiring a mig welder that hung on the line one month later he realy got me good he took the hook's off what I was welding and dropped 1,615pd on me broke one arm ripped the muscules in half in my other arm a clip ripped my face open the company called me two day's later and told me I had to return to work then January 22 thay laid me off there way of getting rid of me I got a laywer from the first day..Ready to make a move might try a ship yard in Va..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sparky in Quitman, Texas

63 months ago

Well ladies I think its BS that y'all get treated like that. I broke out in April of 06' and I have worked with several lady welders. Are they a distraction? Sure, lets face it, its a sex thing. But when a young girl fresh out of school works up from structural to tube welder and is plenty slick or an old school vet comes in and runs circles around the guys and takes time to pass on some knowledge to me...I don't hate. Hang in there and keep pushing ladies. I bet I aint the only gut that appreciates a woman that can roll with the best of the boys

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina

63 months ago

Well Sandy , I myself is a Pipeline Welder I have the same problems as u but I try to work harder and most men will forget i'am even there .Its hard to get your foot in the door with most but if your not union jOMEX WELDER FORMAN will hire u if he has any open slots . I have worked for him off and on for yrs . Bluewater Cont out of houston will work u to ,have worked there for yrs and was a welder forman pipeboss for a bit ,until I had to have cancer surgery witch is healed now .I live up the road from u in between Quitman and Yantis so I do understand your problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

What a small world it is. We are neighbors. I know through experience that if you just keep kocking on doors one will open.

63 months ago

Thank you for the encouragement. I don't take it personal anymore I know as I have said before it is their personal problem not mine. As the lady before made a point if they do not want you there they will find a way to get you out. I don't want to work with people like that. Not worth it. It has been hard but looking back it has been worth it. It has been quite a journey.
Again, thank you

Tina

63 months ago

well Sandy send me your email and we can get a beer and talk shop LOl , Realy talk about the BUBBa'S welders lol.

TROY CASEY in Alvin, Texas

63 months ago

Tina said: well Sandy send me your email and we can get a beer and talk shop LOl , Realy talk about the BUBBa'S welders lol.

Have "OFFSHORE WELDER"jobs (stick rod, 7018) please contact me at RDL ENERGY SERVICES at two eight one five eight five eight three three three ask for TROY OR DOUG Thanks (JOB IS OUT OF CARYLAS,La.)
NEED OFFSHORE CERT.
FALL PROTECTION
WATER SERVIVAL
SAFE GULF
TWIC CARD (A MUST) OR RECIEPT
RIGGING CARD
25HR. 37.50 AFTER 40
THIS JOB WILL LAST TO THE END OF THE YEAR(IF NOT LONGER)

scottchajkowski@yahoo.com in Fort Myers, Florida

63 months ago

They are afraid to admit that women for the most part make better welders. I have tought a few women how to weld and they were better than most of the guys that I have tought.

Sandy in Yantis, Texas

63 months ago

I have been told that ever since I have been welding. I think one of the reasons is because being a women in what is usually a man's world you know you have to try and be the best you can be, because they really watch you. I have worked with alot of good men that were very good welders who was not threatened by me being there and taught me alot.

Vicky

63 months ago

Hey guys

Im living in Newfoundland Canada, and just got accepted into the welding program at my local college. Im really excited to start but I am a little concerned about the way I will be treated once I enter the work force.

Any other canadian woman welders out there?

John Scott Chajkowski in Fort Myers, Florida

63 months ago

Vicky said: Hey guys

Im living in Newfoundland Canada, and just got accepted into the welding program at my local college. Im really excited to start but I am a little concerned about the way I will be treated once I enter the work force.

Any other canadian woman welders out there?

Go in with a little adatude and show them how good you are. And that you are not afraid to get your hands dirty.

Tina in Decatur, Georgia

63 months ago

John Scott Chajkowski in Fort Myers, Florida said: Go in with a little adatude and show them how good you are. And that you are not afraid to get your hands dirty.

Yes Vicky,if you are going to work with the big boys you need to have a attitude like they do .Your the best there ever was , and get in there and make a hand.Don't be afraid of what the task is, but be butch and be a guy with the rest of the guys ,sure we are gals but out there your a guy that s what think they of u .Oh sure there are soom wanting to get well more ,oh well u know but just do your job and you will do well .
\

Sandy in Quitman, Texas

63 months ago

I dicided early on that I might work like a man but I did not have to act like a man or dress like a man. Just because I worked in a man's world I did not want to be one, I am still a woman and proud of it. I chose not to cuss, tell dirty jokes or listen to dirty jokes, I did not tell them not to tell them I just walked off and chose not to listen. I know for a fact that it was appriciated because I was told more than once by my fellow men workers. I chose not to date the men I worked with because that can cause big problems also. It is all a choice, that was mine and I am so glad I did. I agree you have to do your job the best you can and be willing to get dirty sometimes (very dirty) oh yes and getting burned being a welder thats part of it too. I have had my eyes burned so bad when I first started. If you ever burn your eyes try grating potatos and put the juice in your eyes it will help ease the pain. well that's my two cents worth anyway.

Rae in Bloomingdale, Michigan

60 months ago

Wow! Nice to see other women welders for a change. I am 45 years old and been welding since I was 15 years old. I have mostly done Aerospace welding jobs but have also done some exotic metals like berryllium copper and titanium. I too hate the way men act like we are stupid or something. I now do mostly fabrication work and take a lot of pride in a nice finished product preferring quality over speed or quantitiy. Many places think if your super fast at welding it means your good, HA! I think good means doing it right the first time and having it look nice and hold up over time. I got laid off last time for being too precise?????? Some men are just jerks and don't want women in the shops so they have to make us look bad. I just keep going and I know i am pretty good at what I do. I was taught by one of the best in the field a man named Bill Scrimger at S.w.O.V.E.C. Wixom Michigan. He had no problems with women welders and thought it was great. I have since tried to find him but think he is retired someplace probably in Tennesee somewhere. I can weld just about anything so all you ladies out there just keep on WELDING and sooner or later the men will see, we too can be smart, we can fabricate, do math and whatever other things they claim we can not do, we will overcome it. I am also and Electronic Technician and once again do mostly Avionics work. I am constantly studying on my own to improve my skills and keep up with changes. Men need to learn that we are not going away. We deserve equal pay and equal treatment. I love working with most men but there are still a lot of jerks out there unfortunatly. Men can actually be easier to work with then women if they are not predujice against us.

rae

60 months ago

Melissa in Tuscaloosa, Alabama said: Hey my opinion if you are certified and have the papers to prove it and they have an ad and they wont gibe you the opportunity then file a lawsuit against them.

Sounds to me like he just has no self control or he is just giving you a lame excuse not to hire you. Tell him to weld test you then show him what you got for quality welds and maybe he will shutt up and hire you.

60 months ago

Rae in Bloomingdale, Michigan said: Sounds to me like he just has no self control or he is just giving you a lame excuse not to hire you. Tell him to weld test you then show him what you got for quality welds and maybe he will shutt up and hire you.

OOPs sorry the above reply was for Sandy in east texas, with ref to the man who said woman are a distraction.

Sandy in Mount Pleasant, Texas

60 months ago

They don't even offer to weld test you. This guy was someone I talked to over the phone about a job and he said he would call me back but of course he did not.

Sandy in Mount Pleasant, Texas

60 months ago

Hi Rea sound like you know what it is all about. I am with you I like working with men better than women but yes their are some jerks but there are also some good guys. For me it has been an interesting journey. I have my own business and I stay busy just by people sending people to me. I am like you I work with all kinds of metal and do alot of fabrication. I also like to learning new things. It is good to hear from other women that have been in the field along time and talk to them. I wish I had, had one to talk to when I first started out.

rae in Bloomingdale, Michigan

60 months ago

Hi Sandy

Yeah I think I was luckier then most women welders due to the fact that I grew up in the shops in Detroit. I started welding while in high school and went right into a shop full of men. The men were all older like in their 30's and 40's but they treated me good. I learned a lot of things from them on milling and grinding etc., I was the only welder for about 8 machinists in the shop so I got to pick up a lot of skills and help them with stuff when I was caught up on the welding work. I also have had to deal with the Union attitudes and have mixed feelings about Unions since I have seen good and bad sides of that.
It was really nice to find a forum with so many women welders. I have felt like I was just about the only one for a long time.
Texas is cool and I lived in Houston for a while. Just cant take those darn Moscuitos down there.

rae

dan camarco in East Hampton, Connecticut

60 months ago

I use to be a welding instructor and I have to tell you that I would hire a woman welder before a man. they have more quality than a man. If you can't find a job or nobody will hire you because your a woman then shame on them because you can out do a man welder any day. I have taught many woman and guy's they can weld alot better (sorry)

60 months ago

Thank you Dan I have always heard that. For some reason some men just have a problem with women being in the same field as they are. I dicided early on it wasn't my problem but theirs and just kept going.

wizard33639 in Pullman, Michigan

60 months ago

Dan

Glad to hear a man say many women welders are better cause I have been on so many jobs where I am the better qualified welder, better quality and more knowledge and experience and yet the guy or in many cases the kid next to me makes at least 4.00 dollars per hour more because he is male? When Women Welders are getting equal pay then I will feel like this country is really changing for the better.

Sarah in Selma, California

60 months ago

I'm just taking my first welding classes and I'm loving it so far! I'm not 100% sure yet if this is the field for me but it's nice to know the pros and cons before committing fully. Most of the other sites do indeed paint a rosy picture of women in the trade, how everything is great and dandy and you can laugh everything off as a joke. I've worked several different jobs (not welding) that are male dominated or "good ol' boy" type worlds, and I liked them. Guys are fun to work with - not all (certainly not the chauvenistic ones, although they have their own "place" in making me laugh, and not in the way they probably think) but I like their mentality and in-your-face styles. I also learned the hard way not to date within the workpool - that is not a "reputation" you ever want to get. Something as innocent as a date and you can be back to "meat" status. It's not right, but it's how it is.

How are the Unions with women welders? Anyone have experiences on that front? It seems the way I'd choose to go (I hear right now they're difficult to get into with the job shortages) but I'm sure there are horror stories on that front as well.

Sandy in Quitman, Texas

60 months ago

I never worked for a union company so I can't say. I know if you just keep going a door will open. I am like you I like working with men despite the down falls. I have worked with women and I did not like it for alot of reasons. I do believe you should work towards having your own business think you would like it, I do. A specialized welding field is even better.

wizard33639 in Grand Junction, Michigan

60 months ago

Men can be a joy to work with but I have found that the older male machinists are easier to deal with, they are more open to women as long as you know your stuff and you work. I find most problems now seem to be with the younger men, for some reason they resent women and I don't think they have been taught to respect others. I think its a generational thing. Women are hard to work with, they hold a grudge too long, they are devious get even types and love to form clicks and gossip. men do not generally do these things and they can have an arguement and five minutes later still get along and come to an agreement. I did have one male supervisor at Whirlpool corp thought that was a complete jerk. He did not check things out for himself and so was easily lied to about others. He should have never been allowed into management. I moved on and ironically ended up working for GE and the managers there are top notch. They know how to handle people and issues that arise. A lot of it depends on the person and proper training to deal with others.

Good Luck in the Field, don't give up,there are some really nice shops to work in out there.

dan camarco in East Hampton, Connecticut

60 months ago

see that is the kind of comments that show you are a immature person that realizes that women are better nice going Robert from nj. And wizard stay with the old guys they are the dieing breed that we will never get back. we lost about 2 genrations of people that want to work hard and make america free. good luck to everyone when they realize what went wrong but then it will be to late and they will blame us.

Eula in Memphis, Tennessee

60 months ago

Got one in top dresser put it out when I want to get it on and put it back when I'm done it don't talk s--- to me and don't put it's hand's on me and it can't walk out and leave me.

Sarah in Selma, California

60 months ago

Eula in Memphis, Tennessee said: Got one in top dresser put it out when I want to get it on and put it back when I'm done it don't talk s--- to me and don't put it's hand's on me and it can't walk out and leave me.

LMFAO!!!

hamlett_rene@yahoo.com in Sugar Land, Texas

59 months ago

DryRiver in Boca Raton, Florida said: Hey there!!! I just saw you are in Arkansas baddwelder. I worked at NAMJ in Benton for 4 years before getting laid off building marine jet engines. Moved to south florida for a few years and am coming back home to little rock in about a month or 2. Of all the places I have lived, this is the WORST place for a woman to find a welding job. And the pay rate here period is bad across the board. Guess they have the mind set welders are not smart? Haven't a clue but cannot wait to get back to somewhere thats normal, which this place is as far as you can find. dry

I am starting school this fall at a Jurnior College for welding. I enjoy reading your comments. Any word of advice will be greatly appericated. Rene'

DryRiver in Little Rock, Arkansas

59 months ago

hamlett_rene@yahoo.com in Sugar Land, Texas said: I am starting school this fall at a Jurnior College for welding. I enjoy reading your comments. Any word of advice will be greatly appericated. Rene'

Rene'
Schooling is great but its on the job training which will give you a better idea of were you want to be in time. Or if you want to specialize in a certain type of metal. I have been out of the welding field now for almost 6 years but after 25 years I can still burn with the best of em. I keep an eye out for contract work welding aluminum which I loved doing. Learn what you can but being in the field or in a shop is a whole lot different then school. When I was a shop super many of the grads coming out of school were not good welders. Its an art or ability to me really, not something you can learn totally in school. It might take time to find a job, but they are out there. Do not allow anyone to "bully" you, male or female. And always be the very best you can be too.. Sounds silly but over the years when job cuts came I survived by putting woo% into my work. And not complaining about the heat, sweat or being filthy. Its just part of the territory. Best of luck too, and please let us know how you are doing too. dry~

Shavanna Perry of albuquerque nm

59 months ago

i am a 24 yo women on my way to becoming a wlder. I kinda have a fell for the hardship of job hunting i am going to have, but im still looking forward to proving my self skilled. I am in my first semester at cnm. i am also going to get my masters in teaching so i can teach welding along with doing it! this board is going to help me alot! i need to know the ins and outs of the real world outside of the class. when i get there i will be better prepaired!! thanks!

Sandy in Mineola, Texas

59 months ago

Perseverance honey perserverance just keep on keeping on. When you get out there just believe in your self and keep going. When you get out of school that is when the real schooling begins. You learn more in the field than you ever do in class. Don't get involved with the men you work with (date) can cause you trouble. I talked with a business owner once that fired the girl but kept the man because he was his foreman. Should have fired both but he did not. If you don't go there you won't have to worry about it. Some guy you work with are jerks and some are good stay away from the jerks and learn from the good ones. Keep adding to what you know learn everything you can. I have been at it 37 years now. I wish I had had someone to talk to back then. If you run into any problems one thing about it you can come to this forum and get alot of help and advise. Good luck

hamlett_rene@yahoo.com in Sugar Land, Texas

59 months ago

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your advice. I will let you know how the college classes are going. I am very excited to have a new career.I grew up on a farm in Louisiana so I don't think the bubbas will bother me.
Rene'

wizard33639 in Bloomingdale, Michigan

59 months ago

Well everyone problem now I see is this:

None of the companies want to hire experience, they want wet behind the ears kids with no experience so they can train them to be monkeys. These kids are Arrogant. we are now buying an paying for products that don't last, they have more bugs in them and yet they still go to market and we pay high prices for junk now so the the fat greedy rich can get richer. What the hell happened to American Made with American Quality. I am a damn good welder and can do all processes all positions and yet I am too old so I get pushed aside in the stack. They say we need more technical people, more math and science and engineers well maybe if someone would hire me with all my good welding experience and appreciate it I would finish school and teach things kids how to be smarter and not game heads. I am half way to a math degree and yet because of my age no one wants to hire me and yet the country is screaming for math teachers? They only care about educating and hiring the young now, then wonder where the quality went????????????????? Lack of experience folks. Come on hire back to qualified people and send the gamers back to school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rachelle Moore in Camden, Arkansas

58 months ago

Hi!
I am working on a short video about how women can go into the non-traditional roles of skilled areas (such as welding, mechanic, and construction). I am trying to find some female individuals in the field to interview. The video is geared towards recruiting high school students in to the different fields. If anybody knows how I can find female welders, mechanics, or construction workers in Arkansas please let me know!
Thank you!

58 months ago

I live in Texas but if I can help let me know

DryRiver in Little Rock, Arkansas

58 months ago

Rachelle Moore in Camden, Arkansas said: Hi!
I am working on a short video about how women can go into the non-traditional roles of skilled areas (such as welding, mechanic, and construction). I am trying to find some female individuals in the field to interview. The video is geared towards recruiting high school students in to the different fields. If anybody knows how I can find female welders, mechanics, or construction workers in Arkansas please let me know!
Thank you!

Rachelle,
I am no longer in the field but was for over 25 years. Any help I could give please let me know. All the very best on your project.
DryRiver

Alondra GR in Los Angeles, California

58 months ago

DryRiver in Little Rock, Arkansas said: Rachelle,
I am no longer in the field but was for over 25 years. Any help I could give please let me know. All the very best on your project.
DryRiver

I am 19 years old and am about to start my classes for welding I college. I did some MIG welding in high school and I loved it. I want to work my way up to become a pipe welder and get certified in a combination of welding. Please give me honest advise in to what to expect as a beginner and any other advice you think will be helpful. Thank you.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.