Women Welders

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 303)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

DryRiver in Little Rock, Arkansas

63 months ago

Alondra GR in Los Angeles, California said: I am 19 years old and am about to start my classes for welding I college. I did some MIG welding in high school and I loved it. I want to work my way up to become a pipe welder and get certified in a combination of welding. Please give me honest advise in to what to expect as a beginner and any other advice you think will be helpful. Thank you.

College is great, but once your out is when the real learning begins. Welding in various situations, under different conditions is what gives you the knowledge you will be able to apply to become the best. Learn as much as you can about different metals (ie. aluminum, steel, stainless, black iron etc.) and also get some TIG in too if you can. The more you weld the better you will become. NEVER EVER allow anyone to discourge you while looking for a job or tell you "its not a woman's field". The more knowledge you can apply the greater you will be in demand. Many jobs you have to become or pass a certification test. Like the Coast Guard. Please elt us know how it goes too!
dry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jo Holly in eugene, Oregon

62 months ago

After reading all these posts I am both relieved to find I am not the only one, and terrified that I may never find another job!!! I love welding!! I have my associate degree in welding/fabrication and have worked in manufacturing for the last two+ years. I was just permanently laid off last week and am looking for a new job. There aren't ANY in Eugene and was looking to possibly relocate, seems that the most positions are in Texas. I am not opposed but I am terrified!!! Eugene is pretty liberal and I have always felt comfortable in school and my job. The men I have been working with have said Texas is more sexist than other states, and oregon for sure. Tell me there is hope!!! I desperately want to believe in the goodness in this world, please tell me I won't end up stranded and alone with a horrid experience!!!
Jo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Winnsboro, Texas

62 months ago

Hey Jo I was born and raised in Texas it may have it's share of rednecks but there is hope. I found that if you just keep knocking the door will open. There are alot of those men but I have also talked with men who don't feel that there manhood is at risk if you can do the job. I worked for a temp placement company doing structural welding and out of 100 men it was me and one other women (she worked as a carpenter) on the job site and I had no problems. Try some of the temp placement companies to get your foot in the door. I have looked on the web and the pay scale alot of the companys offer for a welder is not good and that is not just Texas. You have a friend in Texas if you need one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Columbus, Georgia

62 months ago

Hello. I'm a 21-year-old who is majoring in welding at a local tech college. I'm in my second quarter studying stick, mig, and tig welding and I love it! I was so scared that I wouldn't be good at this, but so far I've been getting positive feedback from both my instructor and classmates (I'm one of three women in the program out of about 70 men). I am told all the time about how steady my hands are and how great my welds are. I was recently told by an elderly gentleman at a welding supply store that some of the best welders he's seen were women. That REALLY made my day! Many people are very impressed and surprised when I tell them that I'm studying welding, especially when they see how attractive I am. One guy even told me I was too pretty to be welding and that I should become a nurse or teacher. I laughed because I thought that was ridicules and crazy. On the flip-side, a man from a nearby department in our school saw me walking down the hallway and said, "There she is: The hottest welder on the planet!" I couldn't help but smile. When people ask me why I chose welding, I tell them that I didn't want to do something that was typical for a woman;
I wanted to do something that would challenge me mentally and physically, plus I wanted to step outside of the box and work with my hands; it's kind of a high for me. You women that work in this field really inspire younger women like me to strive harder and challenge ourselves even more. You guys are my heroes.

God bless you all.
Melissa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Campbell, Texas

62 months ago

It is not the going to school that is hard it is the getting out in the real world when thing get a bit tougher. When I came out of school aloooooong time ago I had no ideal about decrimination but it hit me right between the eyes as soon as I started looking for work. I hope for your sake you don't have that to deal with. If you do just keep going and don't give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lynne in Winnipeg, Manitoba

61 months ago

Vicky said: Hey guys

Im living in Newfoundland Canada, and just got accepted into the welding program at my local college. Im really excited to start but I am a little concerned about the way I will be treated once I enter the work force.

Any other canadian woman welders out there?

Hi Vicky,

I'm in Manitoba, Canada, and have been out of school for about a year. Am in a job-shop, doing some assembly and assorted jobs, field work and such. I've found I was always more anxious about how I'd be treated than how I actually was treated. If I'm polite and respectful, I get treated the same way. Generally speaking. I hope you're enjoying your classes and the welding. Its a good satisfying career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

christina in West Palm Beach, Florida

58 months ago

I've been reading everyones comments. I'd like to put my two-cents in. I am a woman welding apprentice,last year in the program,been in the welding-pipefitting field for five years. In the begining the men were polite but the longer I stay, the more obvious it is that they don't want me here. I have dealt with instructors that don't want to teach me,apprentices that are "surprised" I'm still here,co-workers that step in front of me to do my job, and bosses that intentionally don't tell me information under the opinion that if they don't tell me, I can't or won't be able to figure it out. I have been laid off for over a year. I have found that employers want to hire men because they have a family to feed-like I don't-and that I should stay home and make babies. I am surrounded by dumb ass rednecks that are afraid to look bad or lose their jobs to women. One of the most complimentary statements a former boss had to say about me was that"she is smarter than she let's on,so don't under estimate her" and another boss said that I was one of the few women in the field that didn't need a man to carry her. My advice is to stick to your guns,find someone you strust to get a second opinion about welding techniques,ALWAYS keep your eyes open-they may not tell you what you need but if you watch them, you can learn from them and NEVER let them know they got to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Mount Vernon, Texas

58 months ago

Yes, is truley sad that some men can't handle the fact that women can do what they do and sometimes do it better. It is not just in the welding business I have been their in the concrete business. If you can start your own business do good work and the word will get around and get you alot of business. Do specialized welding like Alumunum or Stainless not as many men choose to do that type of welding at least not where I live. Start small with a welder on a trailer that is what I did.
But right now it is slow everywhere.
I do understand what your going through and I also know that it does not help very much

Yvette Methot in Brantford, Ontario

58 months ago

I hear ALL of you lady welders out there.... I have been involved in the welding trade since 1985, when I started out at the local college, I got into the trade out of NEED (single mom in need of a man's wages & benefits) I fell in LOVE with welding after I began the course. Little did I know about how great a struggle it was going to be, but also it was ALL of what I was looking for as well. I have never failed a weld test EVER, which shows my skill level, I hold a C of Q Structural Steel/Platework & can build just about anything structural, Safely, I also am a certified Visual weld Inspector certified in Process Piping and am considering writing my structural Steel Inspector as well, am I going to run into the same red-neck attitude in white collar work??? I have no doubt about it. But alas I am at a crossroad in my life, I have been working in an underqualified job (production) for the last 16 yrs because the money was great & the benifits were even better. The job is gone now, plant closed up, happens to the best of us, but I'm just not looking forward to proving myself all over AGAIN to a new bunch of guys, It is tough out there for us girls or women if you prefer, We ALWAYS have to prove ourselves more than the guys & yes they will try & screw you over(bosses included) & sometimes just screw you. Thing is, why do we have to always be at the top of our game but they can come into work hung-over or drunk or misserable do a lousey job & still have their job, if it were me (a women) that came in like that, I would be FIRED!!! Sooo will I continue in this feild?? Or do I look for work at Walmart. I'm 49 & not sure I have very much fight left in me

indtructor dan in East Hampton, Connecticut

58 months ago

you keep on fighting for what you believe in as I said long ago in this forum women are better welders then men(sorry guys) but out of all the students I have taught the women always prevailed over the men.

christina in West Palm Beach, Florida

58 months ago

You will most definitely have to prove yourself again. I have to every time I go to a new job site.Even a new job site with the same company. In this economy, when jobs are scarce, and favoritism is rampant, the "boys" need to go to work and the "girls" are supposed to sit home and knit. I am glad to see you have made it this far and this long. I,too, love the work, and need it to support my child.

Sandy in Sulphur Springs, Texas

58 months ago

I say don't give up. Can't say I have the answers but I feel the way you do. You spend all of these years learning a trade and fighting to get where you are and you don't want to go backwards and feel like it has been for nothing. I am older than you and it does get old having to proving your self. If your like me you won't last at wal mart anyway not made for it. It would be like being put in jail. Have you thought of an welding supply company or something in that line of work. May God meet you at your crossroad and show you what way to go.

58 months ago

sparky in Quitman, Texas said: Well ladies I think its BS that y'all get treated like that. I broke out in April of 06' and I have worked with several lady welders. Are they a distraction? Sure, lets face it, its a sex thing. But when a young girl fresh out of school works up from structural to tube welder and is plenty slick or an old school vet comes in and runs circles around the guys and takes time to pass on some knowledge to me...I don't hate. Hang in there and keep pushing ladies. I bet I aint the only gut that appreciates a woman that can roll with the best of the boys

Thanx Sparky, There really are some gentlemen out there & you my man are one of them OX Thanx for the encouragement. Yvette AKA WELDRWMN

58 months ago

indtructor dan in East Hampton, Connecticut said: you keep on fighting for what you believe in as I said long ago in this forum women are better welders then men(sorry guys) but out of all the students I have taught the women always prevailed over the men.

Hi Instructor Dan, I would love to teach the welding trade But have had NO positive feedback at all, in fact there was no response at all to any application....any advice for a skilled gal looking to get out of the grunt work??

58 months ago

Sandy in Sulphur Springs, Texas said: I say don't give up. Can't say I have the answers but I feel the way you do. You spend all of these years learning a trade and fighting to get where you are and you don't want to go backwards and feel like it has been for nothing. I am older than you and it does get old having to proving your self. If your like me you won't last at wal mart anyway not made for it. It would be like being put in jail. Have you thought of an welding supply company or something in that line of work. May God meet you at your crossroad and show you what way to go.

Thank-you Sandy for your encouragement, I know I'd never make it at WalMart but some days it is just so discouraging fighting against the whole male attitude, I'm sure I will go on & fight the good fight, maybe in the welding supply store (thanx for that idea, I just never thought of it) or continue the fight for the visual Inspection field, either way thanx a bunch again.

sparky26 in United Kingdom

56 months ago

hi there.
i started at college when i was 16 on an introduction to engineering course (did a bit of everything) and i originally wanted to be a mechanic but got interested in the welding side of things.
Started that course the next year and within 2 months i was offered an apprenticeship (the company went to the college and asked for applicants.my tutors put my name forward along with a male classmate) we both got the start but after about a year and a half my male co-worker got the boot as he didn't want to do the college work.
my experience with the guys at my work has been very good on the whole.you always get the odd d**k but they've all come around eventually :) I seem to have a way with them.
Been there 7.5 years now (4 for the apprenticeship and 3.5 after) and i still love it.
I love going on works nights out with them, the older guys treat me like a daughter and can be protective i.e. making me get into taxi and insisting on paying, standing in a circle round me (that was funny as hell!!)
The younger ones are like good mates or brothers. They've been through everything with me almost but when we're working they treat me like an equal.
It's taken me a long time to get to this point but it does happen!I get guys askin for my opinion on how to do stuff(almost fell down when that happened!)all in all i like my job.
I did have problems when i started but when they figured out i wasn't going anywhere they had to learn to accept me :)
(i know i've been rattling on so i'll go now, just thought i'd share my experiences)

Nita in Mililani, Hawaii

55 months ago

" Many people are very impressed and surprised when I tell them that I'm studying welding, especially when they see how attractive I am. One guy even told me I was too pretty to be welding and that I should become a nurse or teacher. I laughed because I thought that was ridicules and crazy. On the flip-side, a man from a nearby department in our school saw me walking down the hallway and said, "There she is: The hottest welder on the planet!" I couldn't help but smile. When people ask me why I chose welding, I tell them that I didn't want to do something that was typical for a woman;

God bless you all.
Melissa

Hi Melissa,
I think it's great that you're joining the rare breed of women welders. I've been doing this for about 30 years and have dealt with a lot of different types of men. The only time I actually worked with a lot of female welders was while in the Navy, and as bad as all these other great women are saying about men not taking us seriously, it's even worse if you're pretty and I definitely saw this first hand (don't mean to sound sexist) but it's true. So make sure you learn how to tone it down, that sounds awful doesn't it ladies but we all know what's it's like working in a "man's" field. Good luck to you and if you really love the craft, it's worth the fight. Those of you wanting alternatives should go into welding inspection, I know a lot of female inspectors that switched. You can get certified through the American Welding Society, American Bureau of Shipping needs inspectors, and of course anyone doing Navy contracts have needs for QA (Quality Assurance) and NDT. Check it out and good luck

Sher..... in Red Deer, Alberta

55 months ago

.....thanks to all for the wise words.At the age of 42,welding was on my "list" of things to do....so,here I am just weeks away from finishing a pre-employment welding course(12 weeks rather than 8 wks-same as 1st yr modules)...and the last time I was in a shop atomsphere was 20 years ago as an art student.....Now for the job hunting and I really hope to get somewhere,where they will teach,support and push me to the next level of learning....smiles

55 months ago

Sher..... in Red Deer, Alberta said: .....thanks to all for the wise words.At the age of 42,welding was on my "list" of things to do....so,here I am just weeks away from finishing a pre-employment welding course(12 weeks rather than 8 wks-same as 1st yr modules)...and the last time I was in a shop atomsphere was 20 years ago as an art student.....Now for the job hunting and I really hope to get somewhere,where they will teach,support and push me to the next level of learning....smiles

Nice to hear from another woman in her 40's starting a new career in welding. I'm 45 and have been working for a year in a fabrication and original equipment manufacturing shop, after attending an 8 month welding course. I'll be taking my 2nd year apprenticeship theory this fall. Yeeha! I enjoy the work, especially being able to take a job from drawing to finish. Good luck job hunting and please let me know how it goes!

55 months ago

....thanks! and I will let you know.I must admit what you are doing is what I hope to find for a job.

55 months ago

....Lynne,thanks again for the feed back.Can you tell me how apprentice process works in Manitoba? As I know each province has different regulations but knowing them may open more doors for me.......anyways I must finish my Weld Faults module and Geometric Formulas module...take care,smiles Sher

55 months ago

Sher..... in Red Deer, Alberta said: ....Lynne,thanks again for the feed back.Can you tell me how apprentice process works in Manitoba? As I know each province has different regulations but knowing them may open more doors for me.......anyways I must finish my Weld Faults module and Geometric Formulas module...take care,smiles Sher

Hi Sher, you are very welcome. I think the apprenticeship programs are similar, although I haven't checked. My schooling counted as 1st year welding theory, then my year at work is my 1st year practical. Now I will do my 2nd year theory in Brandon and continue on at work to complete my 2nd year practical. The end of my 3rd year I'll finish with my Red Seal. Does this help? Now I think I'll look up the Alberta system and see what's up. So...what's Geometric Formulas?

55 months ago

Lynne in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: Hi Sher, you are very welcome. I think the apprenticeship programs are similar, although I haven't checked. My schooling counted as 1st year welding theory, then my year at work is my 1st year practical. Now I will do my 2nd year theory in Brandon and continue on at work to complete my 2nd year practical. The end of my 3rd year I'll finish with my Red Seal. Does this help? Now I think I'll look up the Alberta system and see what's up. So...what's Geometric Formulas?

Hi Lynne...during the last 9 weeks I have had about 28/30 modules to do. All the theory first yr apprentices learn...5 were math related(fractions,decimals,metric/imperial conversions and geometry)....Tuesday I have a shop practical test on SMAW and a cut....then that will be the end of the college tests.We will do some other stuff that we might encounter on the job site to finish off the week...then starting June 14th we will get into review and prep for the Government Exams later in the month.Then once those are done I will be job ready to complete my first year of welding.I need 1560 hours of shop practical hours to get the first year signed off.....then at that time I can continue on with the next block of hours(1560) towards my 2nd year or my employer can send me to school to do the next 8 weeks of theory...and repeat for year 3. I hope a gave you a better idea.Have a great week at work....and take care....smiles Sherri

Alberta NDT in Calgary, Alberta

55 months ago

Does anyone know of companies in Alberta looking to hire UT Level 1? Are things picking up for NDT companies? I have been watching job boards, a few jobs coming up for Level 2's but nothing for Level 1's. Like any apprenticeships, we need to work and learn to get to Level 2! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

55 months ago

Alberta NDT in Calgary, Alberta said: Does anyone know of companies in Alberta looking to hire UT Level 1? Are things picking up for NDT companies? I have been watching job boards, a few jobs coming up for Level 2's but nothing for Level 1's. Like any apprenticeships, we need to work and learn to get to Level 2! Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hey,I am sorry I don't I am just new to the Trades,myself and just weeks away from the start of my job hunt.....First Year Apprentice Welder.
Best of Luck,Sherri

55 months ago

Sher..... in Red Deer, Alberta said: Hi Lynne...during the last 9 weeks I have had about 28/30 modules to do. All the theory first yr apprentices learn...5 were math related(fractions,decimals,metric/imperial conversions and geometry)....Tuesday I have a shop practical test on SMAW and a cut....then that will be the end of the college tests.We will do some other stuff that we might encounter on the job site to finish off the week...then starting June 14th we will get into review and prep for the Government Exams later in the month.Then once those are done I will be job ready to complete my first year of welding.I need 1560 hours of shop practical hours to get the first year signed off.....then at that time I can continue on with the next block of hours(1560) towards my 2nd year or my employer can send me to school to do the next 8 weeks of theory...and repeat for year 3. I hope a gave you a better idea.Have a great week at work....and take care....smiles Sherri

Hi Sherri,
Our apprenticeship hours sound quite similar. I was fortunate to be hired by the same company where I did my two-week student work experience. Is that part of your schooling as well? Its a very good company, the work is challenging and there's always something new. No time to get cocky! How was your test today?
Lynne

55 months ago

Lynne in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: Hi Sherri,
Our apprenticeship hours sound quite similar. I was fortunate to be hired by the same company where I did my two-week student work experience. Is that part of your schooling as well? Its a very good company, the work is challenging and there's always something new. No time to get cocky! How was your test today?
Lynne

Good Evening Lynne .....at RDC there is no "student work experience" theory and practical is all done under one roof.That would be great to go out and see a shop and how it operates.....oh,well with any luck in about 3 weeks I'll be out there checking them out.....My SMAW test,74% not bad,with practice
I can only improve .....and I must find away to calm my test anxeity(sp?).How is everything on in your corner?
Sher

ashleigh brooks in opelika, Alabama

53 months ago

i m still in school most of the men in my family are welders and they support me i have been in quite a few welding videos to get other females in welding BE&K or now known as KBR wants to have me in there mag i have one guy in my class that things i am below him because i m a female i dont understand this because my grade in class and lab is higher then his so i dont let it bother me i m not going to stop till i reach my goals i think my welding speaks for itself and if they arnt willing to give me a shot thats on them i took the summer off to work i have two more sem tig and pipe passes my weld test and got a job yay and i have men that work with me that get chewed out cause i work harder

its hard sometimes but i love welding

Linda in Frisco, Texas

53 months ago

I am a 50 year female new to considering the field of welding. I have previously been in IT for about 24 years, but unemployed for the last 2 years. I already have a BS degree in Computer Information Systems, and in 2005 even got a Master's in Information Systems Security.

I guess I'm posting on here to ask if there is hope in seriously pursuing this as I have found a Combination Welder Certification program at my Community College.

Thank you in advance to any helpful advice or info.

53 months ago

My advice for what it is worth would be to do specialized welding of some kind. An area where they need a special kind of welding and get into that. Just going into general welding I think would be hard. I am older than you and have been in for over 35 years and am still welding (my own business) and I find it hard to get in doors when I have looked for a job with company's. Being a woman our age group and welding is a rough combination to overcome. Not that you can't just saying it is hard to get someone to let you in. Welding inspection might be an area you might think about. Don't know if this helps just thought I would put my 2 cents worth in.

sparkie26 in United Kingdom

53 months ago

hi there
does anyone know what happens when you work in a shop as a welder and get pregnant?i.e. do you have to stop work immediately?is it safe?
I'm not pregnant but just for future reference
cheers :)

gethhyn@yahoo.com in West Palm Beach, Florida

53 months ago

sparkie26 in United Kingdom said: hi there
does anyone know what happens when you work in a shop as a welder and get pregnant?i.e. do you have to stop work immediately?is it safe?
I'm not pregnant but just for future reference
cheers :)

I am pregnant right now. I notified my employer-I was working in the field, not in the shop-I had to take a temporary leave of absence.My Union considered my pregnancy a safety issue. It is different in the shop. I think if the environment allows for safe moving of materials and the doctor says it is ok for you to be in the shop environment, you may be fine. I am a high risk, so this was not an option. I'm sure each company(and country) has their own regulations. It is worth asking the proper department just for future refence.

sparkie26 in United Kingdom

53 months ago

thank you for that.
i'm not sure if i should ask because they might think i'm planning on getting pregnant!!!lol
might ask one of the "nice" one's tho :)

jkc in San Augustine, Texas

53 months ago

howdy yall ima guy and just wanted to let yall know that i really admire women welders and mechanics

bridges in New York, New York

53 months ago

Hi Daz

I was very curious as to how getting experience and a job as a welder works and starting an apprenticeship. Can you just enter an apprenticeship program or do you need training first? Does this vary by state? I live in NY so I would assume it to be the most available for construction work. Any information would help, when trying to find about these questions on the internet it just spins my head in circles.

Daz in Dallas, Texas said: Hi Lorena, Have you tried to connect with any of the Registered Apprenticeship programs in your area? There are several in Harris County that have welding training programs and because Registered Apprenticeship is a federal program, they are required to make provide opportunities to everyone who qualifies, regardless of gender. Most qualifications for entry are a high school diploma or GED. Take a look at... www.doleta.gov/OA/eta_default.cfm ...towards the bottom of the web page you'll see a link called Program Sponsors Database. That link will allow you to search for apprenticeship programs in your area based on occupation.

Registered Apprenticeship is an earn-while-you learn program. You work full time, pulling a good wage, and in most cases full benefits, and then go to school either one or two nights a week or on Saturdays (usually at no cost to the apprentice ? if there is a cost it's minimal). But don't just look for a Welding apprenticeship as an occupation. Plumbers, Pipefitters, even Sheet Metal Workers all include various aspects of welding in the training process and all offer pretty good wages and opportunities for career growth.

There are a couple of national associations that are geared towards helping women succeed in what was historically known as ?non-traditional? occupations. Connecting with your local chapter of Women in Construction could be a great help. Here?s their site... www.nawic.org/nawic/Default.asp
Hope this helps...

fluxcored in San Bernardino, California

52 months ago

You keep pressing you have 35yrs an GOD on your side!

Sandy in Sulphur Springs, Texas

52 months ago

AMEN AND AMEN TO THAT

52 months ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Men are job scared. When the economy was booming, no one cared that I was on the job. But, as soon as the jobs started to dry up, "the boys" "needed" to work and I "needed" to go home and take care of the man and the kids. Men do not want to be bested at a "man's" job by a woman. They also don't like women to do the same job because then they don't have an excuse for not pulling their weight at work or home. If I can do my job AND come home and take care of things,then a man has no excuse. No more coming home and saying he busted his ass so he deserves to sit on his ass when he gets home.

yvemh in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

I've been reading these posts and geez, I thought the welding field was in high demand with older ppl retiring and most younger ppl wanting office jobs or at least that's what i've read. I'm 33 and have worked office jobs straight outta high school all my life. I'm so ready to make a leap into something completely different. looking for something I can be proud of. I currently make about 50k a year, have 3 weeks vacation, fully vested in 401k, paid parking but the OT is starting to kill me. Would the leap be worth it?

51 months ago

If you have everything paid for and have enough left to survive on,and you like to get training with most likely no work , then go for it. I worked OT for seven months straight(50+ hours + the travel time) when the economy was good. Yes, there is a shortage of welders, but no, no one is hiring right now. I should say, VERY few are working right now. There is supposed to be an upturn in 2011 but most of us are on the bench waiting. Most trade positions do not have paid time off, vacation days, sick days. So if you need that perk, don't look for it here. OT is a fact of life. You may have to do overnight shifts, double shifts, weekends. Many companies will make you the first to lay off if you do not work OT.

britnchick

50 months ago

Hi, Im not too sure if Im in the right place but I thought you might be able to direct me in the right direction if Im not.

I have just put down a deposit to hold a spot for my daughter at Tulsa Welding school down in Oklahoma to start next fall. Its going to cost about $16k. I was wondering if any of you could suggest where i could go to look up or apply for scholarships or grants for her as im a single mum and have no idea where to start. Ive looked myself on the internet but am only finding scholarships for two to four years courses and Tulsas is on a eight month course. Any help would be appreciated.

50 months ago

you could check to see if the local union is taking apprentices. The program is uusually free. As far as a college/technical school goes, if it is accredited, you can try to get a Pell grant, or so to Sallie Mae for several types of loans. Normally, a college will have a financial aid department that will give you a list of scholarships, grants and loan information.

Sandy in Yantis, Texas

50 months ago

Not sure about the scolarships for Tulsa Welding but i will tell you that she can get her training cheaper by going to programs at your local colleges and they have financial programs you can apply for. I know a young man that went to Tulsa Welding and as far as I know he still is looking for work in the area of welding. I went to a government training program many years ago and they paid me while I went to school. What kind of welding does she want to do? If she has an ideal what she wants to do when she gets out she could just those types of classes at a college. I highly suggest that she go to your local college and talk to the welding instructor and get some advice from him. Tell her if this is what she really wants to do she will have to stand her ground and not let what she is going to face when she gets out discourge her.

Sandy in Yantis, Texas

50 months ago

hi Dry sorry i did not get your commit until now. I did not like working in a shop although I did it for years. I now work for my self and do all kinds of welding. Being a woman and getting older and trying to find a welding job is not a easy thing to do. i have ventured into several new areas of welding and looking for more. if you can get you a little equipment and start out in a small shop do good work you will be surprised how fast word of spreads. hope you made it back to Arkansas ok and are finding things better there.

50 months ago

I could not understand a word of this. needs to be translated into english for me.

kay in Texarkana, Texas

49 months ago

i am not sure about an 8 month program, but if you go to a community college you can sometimes get a certificate after one year and some financial aid that is available includes WIA ( go to local workforce center to see if you qualify), pell grants, and AWS offers scholarships also. I have AWS certifications, but no "official" training. The plant I worked in closed, thu WIA and Pell grant I am able to get a certificate and associates degree at no cost to me.

briana in Covington, Kentucky

49 months ago

maybe us women should get together and start a business/company just for women welders. i am 15 and taking welding in school and in the future i want to be a welder, but i cant if nobody will hire me.

female welder in Huntsville, Alabama

49 months ago

Women welders be mindful,welding is a male dominated trade.There are men out there,that donot want to see women makeing more or the same money as them.Welding is a skill,so donot strain yourself,no heavy lifting.I know several women that have back injuries,if you are one,you know what i mean.

female welder in Huntsville, Alabama

49 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas said: I am a woman welder and have 35 year experience. Why is it so hard for men to accept a women out in the field. I am 6G certified have my own rig. I apply and they say they will call back but never do. I had one man tell me that he thought it would be to destracting to have a woman in the field. I have worked as a structural welder and was the only woman there. I did not stop production and I did not cause any accidents. What is it with all the excuses?

Woman to woman its all about the money and control. Men with small winkies have small egos.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jason@pacifictradesplus.com in San Diego, California

48 months ago

Well if any of you girls want to weld in San Diego you will get plenty of respect around here. I've got several gals working and some of them are absolutely amazing. And I'm hiring.... :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.