Comments (151 to 200 of 303)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Sandy in Quitman, Texas

44 months ago

REALLY!!!! YOU MUST BE A OWNER OR A CEO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gethhyn@yahoo.com in West Palm Beach, Florida

44 months ago

It's hard enough getting respect when you are good at what you do. The rumors always fly whether you're screwing the boss or not. I've worked with women who sleep around. They get laid off like everyone else. Usually more so because then they are a liability.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

alice in Penticton, British Columbia

44 months ago

my boyfriend and i are 19 and are interested into going into welding. he is for sure, i would really love to, and i think i could be very good at it.. i know my mom will "look down" on me because this is the second time i have changed my mind on what i want to do and i am not looking forward to telling her. i want to weld for quite a few years in northern canada to earn good money and save it for when i want to come back down, i am suprised there are many older ladies welding out there! :) good for you! i think when i get older though i will switch careers to something less straining. i would like to do something that, when i go home at the end of the day, i feel like i have done a really hard job well. i have been with this boyfriend for almost 4 years, we don't see us parting.. do you think it is a good idea to go into this with him and possibly work in the same place as him? also, i don't know much about welding but i have been resarching and i am very glad i found this page.. do you think i would be safer or more secure from the discrimination because of my relationship or would they give me a harder time? any advice on anything would be much appretiated.. as for melissas comment.. i am told to be a very attractive girl too.. please let me know how that works out in the feild? if it comes to it i might have to dull myself out for work but i can still dall up for my bf after work and at home ;)

kacie in Birmingham, United Kingdom

44 months ago

Hey Alice,
So many questions!ha ha
First off,I hope all goes well telling your mum about your career choice.my mum was against me welding at first but Is now very proud.
Make sure your doing it for you and not just because your partner is doing it.it's gonna be a long tough journey and no point doing it if your heart isn't in it.
Working with a partner isn't something I've done at the workshop but have in another job.didn't work too well.
In the workshop you'll get guy's having guy talk,just like us girls have girl talk,and if he let's something slip about your private lives it might get uncomfortable for you.
As you've read before it's hard for a girl to be accepted.I'm lucky because my guys act like friends in the workshop.
Oh and the dulling down?jeans,tshirt and hair up is the way to go.never do make up at work lol.they only see me dolled up on a night out!lol
Good luck with everything x

44 months ago

kacie in Birmingham, United Kingdom said: Hey Alice,
So many questions!ha ha
First off,I hope all goes well telling your mum about your career choice.my mum was against me welding at first but Is now very proud.
Make sure your doing it for you and not just because your partner is doing it.it's gonna be a long tough journey and no point doing it if your heart isn't in it.
Working with a partner isn't something I've done at the workshop but have in another job.didn't work too well.
In the workshop you'll get guy's having guy talk,just like us girls have girl talk,and if he let's something slip about your private lives it might get uncomfortable for you.
As you've read before it's hard for a girl to be accepted.I'm lucky because my guys act like friends in the workshop.
Oh and the dulling down?jeans,tshirt and hair up is the way to go.never do make up at work lol.they only see me dolled up on a night out!lol
Good luck with everything x

thank you so much for replying! i have been resarching welding for the past few weeks and i love doing things like wood work and plumbing so i think i could really enjoy welding! and thank-you for the advice, make-up free sounds kind of nice actually ><
and me and my partner are very open with eachother plus he doesn't talk about much of our personal life and when he does i don't mind much, i am a pretty easy going gal and we work through things very well :) i am looking forward to a challenge ;) if you have any more helpful tips that would be great :D like... what is the best paying kind of welding job? and there are three classes right? C being the lowest and A being the highest? and the specializing? i am really looking forward to adding to the womens reputaion in welding :) i hope i can do us proud :D

Sher in Red Deer, Alberta

44 months ago

Hey Alice...just wanted to say Hi! and to say at the age of 42 yrs.I decided to do a 360 in my job/career path welding it is.....So,I did a lot of research about school and apprenticing....and this is what I found: Each Canadian province is different in their specifications,requirements(example:I may be from Alberta but without being tested again I can not work in B.C). This what I did: I just out my local college sure enough they did apprenticing. I went to the open house/info session I got to meet instructors and see the shop I was hooked. I had one problem I have never welded before,no experience -nothing! No worries there as in Alberta they have a program called Pre-employment to the Trades,a 12 week study of the 1st yr. welding modules(my day was split 50/50-half day was theory the other was shop hands on) after 12 weeks my marks were college approved to then write and challenge the Alberta Apprenticeship test.....a 3hr.shop exam and a 3 hr.written exam......I passed all! that was last June 2010. Now I just need my shop time 1560hrs.to be logged into my Blue Book(work time with a journeymen welder)and my 1st yr. will be complete. A slow economy and a family matter in 2010 I was unsuccessful in finding employment...2011 will be different......I did fill in sometime taking some safety tickets H2S Alive(working around sour gas) First Aid...anything to make my resume look trades ready.

44 months ago

Sher in Red Deer, Alberta said: Hey Alice...just wanted to say Hi! and to say at the age of 42 yrs.I decided to do a 360 in my job/career path welding it is.....So,I did a lot of research about school and apprenticing....and this is what I found: Each Canadian province is different in their specifications,requirements(example:I may be from Alberta but without being tested again I can not work in B.C). This what I did: I just out my local college sure enough they did apprenticing. I went to the open house/info session I got to meet instructors and see the shop I was hooked. I had one problem I have never welded before,no experience -nothing! No worries there as in Alberta they have a program called Pre-employment to the Trades,a 12 week study of the 1st yr. welding modules(my day was split 50/50-half day was theory the other was shop hands on) after 12 weeks my marks were college approved to then write and challenge the Alberta Apprenticeship test.....a 3hr.shop exam and a 3 hr.written exam......I passed all! that was last June 2010. Now I just need my shop time 1560hrs.to be logged into my Blue Book(work time with a journeymen welder)and my 1st yr. will be complete. A slow economy and a family matter in 2010 I was unsuccessful in finding employment...2011 will be different......I did fill in sometime taking some safety tickets H2S Alive(working around sour gas) First Aid...anything to make my resume look trades ready.

HI SHER! thank-you so much! that was really helpful :) I have been researching for my province and it's looking good :D i am going to apprentice up north when i am done with the collage work so i can get a higher pay ;) I am actually getting really excited and cannot wait to get the ball rolling, if thing go the way i'd like i might be into the program by feb. or april! I really hope i will be good at this, i am an excelent artist so i know i have a steady hand and i enjoy chemisrty so working with the metals should be fun! :D

ashley franks in Spartanburg, South Carolina

43 months ago

hi i'm 18 and really thinking about going to college and majorin in welding.. i've had a few people tell me that it was a really bad idea, that most people wouldn't hiar a female welder.. the school im lookin at going to right now is a tech school but it has a welding program that offers a diploma and they teach you how to read blueprints, safety, gas, electric arc, MIG and TIG welding.. this is a field im interested in but i'm kind of confused and could use a little advise..

43 months ago

.....GO FOR IT!!!!! research and ask lots of questions go to any open houses at the tech/trade school.....look at the shop.At 42 yrs old I am going from retail and restaurant stuff to make a better pay cheque and be more creative....I have an arts background.

Sandy in Winnsboro, Texas

43 months ago

Hi Asley I stated out that way in 1972 going to goverment program and learning just those things. What i have learned through the years is you can start there but you should think more about what direction you want to go after you get out. It would be better if you decide what kind of welding you want to do and go for that. There is so many different fields in welding and just know that it is not going to be a walk in the park. You will face discrimination and be ready for it. Just be determined not to quit and keep going if this is what you want to do. As long as you know what your up against it helps. I had no clue when I stepped out of school. learned the hard way. Do alot of reshearch and see what type of welding you might rather do and go in that direction. like I said before some welding is inside some is in the field some is hard some is dirty. Are you ready to work out in all kinds of weather or would you rather work in a shop where you work inside and go to the same place each time and do the same thing everyday. What type of metals do you want to weld.
So many directions to go in just give it alot of thought. Not sure if this helps but good luck either way.

Amanda

43 months ago

I didnt realize how many women welders there actually were. Im 20 and have been welding for seven years now. I started my welding course in highschool at 13 yrs which was a tech school. I read that some women here had problems with men in the workplace but ive been workin at my shop full time for over three years now and havnt had any problems. True at first nobody believed i could do the work but i stuck with it and showed them just who the hell i am and now im in charge when my boss isnt here. I suggest everbody get as much experience as possible. Ive done everything from mig tig and stick arc welding to custom fabrication and heavy soldering. Im more valuable then other coworkers so thats what earned my place here when lay offs came around. And i kno what you guys been about bein attractive. Im the only woman here and i like to think im pretty but the guys here have not bothered me. Im sure things were said behind my back but idont care. One thing id like to do in life is open an all female custom fab shop. That should get some attention lol but if theres any adivice id like to give newcomers to the feild its to learn your math!!! I was a D student in math in highschool but ive learned alot at my shop. O and one more thing. School will only teach your the basics. You will never be prepared enough to go into the workplace; you just go and learn on the way.

Joe jobless in (H)elmira, New York in Endicott, New York

43 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas said: I am a woman welder and have 35 year experience. Why is it so hard for men to accept a women out in the field. I am 6G certified have my own rig. I apply and they say they will call back but never do. I had one man tell me that he thought it would be to destracting to have a woman in the field. I have worked as a structural welder and was the only woman there. I did not stop production and I did not cause any accidents. What is it with all the excuses?

It's not because you are a woman, it's because you are not young anymore. 35 years you've been doing this? Think about this; employers want young inexperienced people (mostly men) that willingly work for lower amounts of money while working long hours! Thats a short cut through the paperwork for said employers and it's cheaper and easier for them. All that put together equals descrimination! Think about that when applying for a job in the future. We all should.

43 months ago

Amanda you start an all female welding shop and you would have plenty of customers. The only problem you may have is that women working together is different than men working together. All women only has its own set of problems.

Gina from Yaks in Seattle, Washington

43 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas said: I am a woman welder and have 35 year experience. Why is it so hard for men to accept a women out in the field. I am 6G certified have my own rig. I apply and they say they will call back but never do. I had one man tell me that he thought it would be to destracting to have a woman in the field. I have worked as a structural welder and was the only woman there. I did not stop production and I did not cause any accidents. What is it with all the excuses?

I want to be a welder.. I'm only in high school though and my teacher thinks I'm a very good beginer. I'm better then most the boys in my classes.. I would love to become a woman welder, All they guys in my welding class act like I'm helpless or something.. I can function everything myself if someone tells me what to do.. I'm a fast learner, and I will try and try until I get it perfect and still try harder, expecially if I love doing it.. And i love to weld.. I hope to get a caree in this business

Lindsey Lou :) in Ames, Iowa

42 months ago

My advice to any woman out there that would like to take on welding, is go for it! I am only 20 but I thought right out of high school I wanted to do cosmetology and I was very wrong. I did what everyone else wanted me to do, and after four months of being miserable and putting myself FAR into debt and having nothing to show for it (besides family haircuts) I am now finally doing something that makes me genuinely happy, welding! I started welding in an auto collision coarse I had taken in high school and I fell in love I am now going to a community college and going for my welding diploma! Its going to take one year and its pretty cheap when you look at how fast you can make good money if you work hard and believe in yourself! I love waking up on a school day and knowing I get to weld. I am SO excited to see where welding is going to take me in life, and I hope I can be of some support and encouragement to other women who want to follow their dream in whatever that may be! .....Lets go show those men who really run this world! :)

Adrianna in Lethbridge, Alberta

42 months ago

WOW. I'm a 22 year old and I've have been looking into welding as a career and this forum has been the most helpful thing I could ever ask for! It's so great to hear that despite job discrimination, women still love their jobs as welders and they still keep on truckin! I know my parents opinion on this whole career change will play a great deal and it's comforting to know, that I am not the only woman out there going through the same things. Sher, I was wondering what trade school you are attending? I'm currently living in the Lethbridge area and looking into trade school. Most people head over to SAIT but I'd like to stay in the area I'm in. Any thoughts?

On a final note, to whoever in the world started this forum and all of those who have shared their experiences, both positive and negative, thank you. Because of you, I am getting more serious about welding as a career.

42 months ago

Hey,Adrianna.....I went to Red Deer College....a 12 week pre-employment welding.I figured it was most suited for me as I am doing a complete switch in careers going from low paying sales/restaurant work to the trades......I have never been in a shop short of art studios in art school.

MaryB in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

42 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Quitman, Texas said: What I am finding is how bad the discrimination is in the field of pipeline welding. I had one man that I talked to about a welding job say that he thought it would be destracting to have a women working in the field. Another said he was not having a women welder on the job. I am sure if I wanted to weld on a ship in a ship yard right now I could but that is not the field I was interested in. I can get a job in a shop (been there done that, not interested) I have paid my dues. The question is how do you fight the discrimination?

Very slowly,
Thanks to many women to have faught it already, Opera, Hiliry Clinton to name a few.

Basically, this is not about your Job persay, it is women in general. They are not supposed to have any power, In a man's field of work it may be doubly so, unless you make friends only with co workers. Let them see it is not against them and their manhood, but it is something you want to do.

women have a tough time proving the conpetence in any field. A fine line between being a feminine lady and a competent worker.

Men do not have to decide this issue, but maybe they will one day wished they had.
Women are gaining more respect.

Hope it works out.

Catherine in Singapore, Singapore

41 months ago

I'm learning 3G welding and have 4 days of welding under my belt, and I have no prior experience in welding. Let's just say that men will judge a lady by the way she looks.

I'm 21 years old, 162cm tall, I weigh 46kg, I'm really thin, and also really fair. The boss of the training center said that I'm too "feminine" and "delicate" and it'll take me 5 days to be able to run a bead. However, during my first day of training, it took me 2 hours to run a complete bead. My trainer said I proved to a lot of people that you cannot guess the ability of a person by their looks, gender, and prior experiences in the field.

He also said he understands that to be a good welder, it doesn't matter what your gender is. It's the interest that matters. But he hopes that future employers will have the same view because, he knows that Singaporean shipyard companies are not willing to hire female welders especially local ones (I'm half american and half singaporean) and he admits that I'm at a disadvantage because of my appearance. However he did state that it'll be easier for me to work in other countries as they're not as close minded as singapore.

It's really comforting to know that there are other ladies out there who are welders, still fighting on in their careers. The road may be though for us but we'll keep on fighting.

kelly lott in jacksonville, Florida

40 months ago

I have been welding for 8 years and i love it i love everything about it the sound the smell the way you feel when you see the finished product. i have worked in many shops ship yard and as an iron worker and every where i have gone i have been one of the best welders there. i was always told from the begining by my instructors that women make the best welders because we have a steadier hand and we pay more attention to detail. i was at one job where my boss would let me get an hour for lunch instead of thirty minutes i was aloud to come in an hour late because i am a single mom and had to get kids off to school on days there was nothing for me to do he would send me home and keep me on the clock...but i also made him alot of money....my production in one day was what two other welders did in a day and i never one time had to go back and fix anything...i was with the iron workers so many times i was sitting on my welder reading a book instead of going home off the clock. because there was nothing for me to do we already did all the welds for that floor and they were xrayed that morning and the only thing to do was for everyone to reweld all the welds they had that failed..well none of mine failed i always passed all of mine....and some of the guys dont like that a girl is better than them....they do things sometimes to try and mess me up and make my welds fail but they could never do it (hey when your good your good)....i have gotten so much crap also and trying to get jobs is the worst they think its funny a woman welding and i get those interviews that they just call u in just cause im a woman and when they give me my welding test they are extremely shocked and they will say i did better than the guys thats been there for 20 years but then i never hear from them again....and i have worked for and with people that treat me just like im one of the guys but dont let someone off another crew or with another company come on that job site and mess with me

kelly lott in jacksonville, Florida

40 months ago

cause then they would have the whole crew to deal with i was always and have always been the only woman at work.....and to be honest i love peoples reaction when they find out im a welder its the best... i grew up around welding my dad was a pipe welder and he was one of the best people from all over the united states would call him if they needed anything welded. so i grew up around the welding machines and torches my favorite thing to do when i was younger was light the torch i loved playing with the stricker. i told him i was going to learn to weld and he begged me not to....but he is very proud now especially when he seen how much i loved it he was the same way he loved it and when he found out how good i was he always said its in my blood,,,lol...but all the discremination i do see y he didnt want me to get in it. but to deal with it you have to be tough and have a tough skin. i am 5'6" 135 pounds i used to model as a teenager and i am girly so they are shocked when i can carry just as much (sometimes more) angle iron as they can up the same amount of flight of stairs....but i do get the respect very fast after about a week on the job but some of the men are very hard headed and just cant stand me being there well i hate to burst their bubble i love welding and im here to stay so they need to get used to it if they dont like they can go some place else....and florida is the worst because all the red necks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey Lou in Ames, Iowa

40 months ago

kelly lott in jacksonville, Florida said: cause then they would have the whole crew to deal with i was always and have always been the only woman at work.....and to be honest i love peoples reaction when they find out im a welder its the best... i grew up around welding my dad was a pipe welder and he was one of the best people from all over the united states would call him if they needed anything welded. so i grew up around the welding machines and torches my favorite thing to do when i was younger was light the torch i loved playing with the stricker. i told him i was going to learn to weld and he begged me not to....but he is very proud now especially when he seen how much i loved it he was the same way he loved it and when he found out how good i was he always said its in my blood,,,lol...but all the discremination i do see y he didnt want me to get in it. but to deal with it you have to be tough and have a tough skin. i am 5'6" 135 pounds i used to model as a teenager and i am girly so they are shocked when i can carry just as much (sometimes more) angle iron as they can up the same amount of flight of stairs....but i do get the respect very fast after about a week on the job but some of the men are very hard headed and just cant stand me being there well i hate to burst their bubble i love welding and im here to stay so they need to get used to it if they dont like they can go some place else....and florida is the worst because all the red necks

You inspire me. :) and I don't say that often, it's women like you that get me through my toughest days!

kelly in Fort Valley, Georgia

40 months ago

Awwwww thanks well I just consider myself lucky I get to do something I love and its fun it has its challenges like the things I have too put up with from the men but that's ok because of them I'm just that much better because I have to prove myself more often than a man does so I have to make sure I'M constantly at the top of my game at all times but that's ok with me cause I love what I do and being one of the best makes it that much more enjoyable....

Kathy in Sugar Land, Texas

40 months ago

Lorena Herrera in Houston, Texas said: I am 21yrs old and I went to school for safety and since I have gotten my certification I havent had no luck. They tell me they want someone with experience well how are you suppose to get that if no one will give you a chance. I am wanting to learn welding and I am willing to pay someone to teach me the basics so I can land a job as a welder helper.. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

Lorena-my company occassionally hires beginning welders and helpers in our fitness equipment manufacturing plant. If you're interested , e-mail me at kkinsella@promaxima.com and I will scan you an application and get it to the right people. The plant is located off Chimney Rock and Ashbrook near 59 and 610.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ruth in Antigonish, Nova Scotia

39 months ago

Vicky said: Hey guys

Im living in Newfoundland Canada, and just got accepted into the welding program at my local college. Im really excited to start but I am a little concerned about the way I will be treated once I enter the work force.

Any other canadian woman welders out there?

Hi, I am from Nova Scotia and a welder for 14 years, and have worked with at least 20 other women welders. It has been tough dealing with men in the industry. But i must say I love to weld . I haven't welded much in the last few years but talking to other women welders I have worked with say the same, welding is almost addictive...lol

kelly lott in Albany, Georgia

39 months ago

I got a job I'm going to work with caterpillar I was the only girl there testing and I beat all those men whoop whoop so excited

welder2670 in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

Congratulations!!! I understand your pain. I am also a Certified Welder, and I still go through the same craziness. I am the first female Welding Instructor in the history of the second largest school district in the nation, the Los Angeles Unified School District, and I still get looked at funny. I do side work for an architectural design company and am now working on a project for Thom Mayne, Brad Pitt's architect here in Culver City. I wear my pink hardhat and strut my stuff proudly. Just do your job superbly and forget the rest!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beauti1980 in Lumsden, Saskatchewan

39 months ago

I am starting my welding course at SIAST in August this year. I totally agree with you saying that it's not a person's looks. I am very "feminine" as well. I have done a bit of welding in a friends garage and the moment I struck that first ark, I was hooked. My friend told me that I am better than a lot of men who have come through his shop. I hope you are doing well in your schooling and loving every moment of it.

Amanda in Maple Shade, New Jersey

39 months ago

just remember that regular shops do repetitous work. custom fab shops are very hard to come by. ive been employed for four years now and i hate my shop and my work. i thought welding would be great eight years ago when i started my vocational highschool but now i hate all the repetitous work and would rather do it on the side now or even somehow have my own shop that does didnt custom fab jobs but at 21 that a very bleak outlook right now lol

but one suggestion to everyone just getting into the field, learn as much welding as possible, even soldering. all arc, brazing, pipe welding, everything. itll make you more valueable when layoffs come around and youll be rewarded with raises for your impressive range.

Beauti1980 in Tuxford, Saskatchewan

39 months ago

kelly lott in jacksonville, Florida said: cause then they would have the whole crew to deal with i was always and have always been the only woman at work.....and to be honest i love peoples reaction when they find out im a welder its the best... i grew up around welding my dad was a pipe welder and he was one of the best people from all over the united states would call him if they needed anything welded. so i grew up around the welding machines and torches my favorite thing to do when i was younger was light the torch i loved playing with the stricker. i told him i was going to learn to weld and he begged me not to....but he is very proud now especially when he seen how much i loved it he was the same way he loved it and when he found out how good i was he always said its in my blood,,,lol...but all the discremination i do see y he didnt want me to get in it. but to deal with it you have to be tough and have a tough skin. i am 5'6" 135 pounds i used to model as a teenager and i am girly so they are shocked when i can carry just as much (sometimes more) angle iron as they can up the same amount of flight of stairs....but i do get the respect very fast after about a week on the job but some of the men are very hard headed and just cant stand me being there well i hate to burst their bubble i love welding and im here to stay so they need to get used to it if they dont like they can go some place else....and florida is the worst because all the red necks

Its like we are still living in the 1930's with all this discrimination. They just need to do their jobs and go home. Not worry about the hot chick welding across from them. Sad.

39 months ago

Amanda in Maple Shade, New Jersey said: just remember that regular shops do repetitous work. custom fab shops are very hard to come by. ive been employed for four years now and i hate my shop and my work. i thought welding would be great eight years ago when i started my vocational highschool but now i hate all the repetitous work and would rather do it on the side now or even somehow have my own shop that does didnt custom fab jobs but at 21 that a very bleak outlook right now lol

but one suggestion to everyone just getting into the field, learn as much welding as possible, even soldering. all arc, brazing, pipe welding, everything. itll make you more valueable when layoffs come around and youll be rewarded with raises for your impressive range.

I'm not sure all the repitition would bother me if I am getting a good pay cheque at the end of the day. I have had some awful min.wage jobs. Even commission jobs where I didn't get paid at all after 2 weeks of hard work when a sale would fall through (I was a Realtor). I am just looking forward to being able to provide for my family with a good paying job. Guess the up side to all that repition is you get dam good at that weld. I am starting school in the fall, and am looking forward to learning and making some real money once out in the industry.

Amanda in Maple Shade, New Jersey

39 months ago

Thats what i thought four years ago but as the days dragged on all i would do is just watch the clock all day. once i perfected percision welding it become boring. im looking into becomeing a career major teacher to teach welding in a vocational school.

39 months ago

I think being an instructor would be fabulous. Being able to share your experience. And being a woman on top of that, may encourage more girls to get into it. Thank you for the comment. Take care and best of luck with your studies!

39 months ago

Ladies I have been welding since 1972 and still welding for a living. I have my own business (shop and rig) and I would like to suggest that you think out side the box and think about starting your own business then the rednecks will be working for you. Start small on the side and grow. Learn stainless, alunumum, take extra classes on the side to learn different kinds of welding. Most of my work comes from referals. I hear all the time they were sent to me because I am the best in the area for what I do. It is not boring because I am always faced with different challenge all the time. I took a class to learn how to fix props on boats then taught my self how to fix skegs and cavatation plates on boats. I make all kinds of furniture to sell on the side. I weld on pontoon boats (that is a big need in my area) I taught myself how to weld upside down under boats ( that is were all the leaks seem to be, most of them anyway). There is so many ways to use your skills just keep looking and learning different ways to use them. I have given lessons in my shop. I go out in the field and work with my rig then come back and work in the shop. I would be hard pressed to work in a shop that belonged to someone else doing the same thing every day. I have been there and your right it is so boring. It is a good place to start just don't stay there. Look around and think outside the box.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

gethhyn@yahoo.com in West Palm Beach, Florida

39 months ago

Yes, this is the right way of thinking. My dad-though not a woman:)-started his own shop-at age 21- after being discharged from the Marines during the Vietnam war. He was unable to find work due to the stigma of being a war vet. He was very sucessful. This lead to a career as a tool and die maker.He also writes his own formulas and programs for various CNC machines, etc. He has always tried new things and as such is one of the few people out there with the hard to find skills to work every peice of equipment in a machine shop-new or old. He has never been afraid to just go for it. This has helped me in the welding industry. I am a UA Local630 member. I do find shop work boring and as such enjoy working in the field. I have the opportunity to work power house jobs, school refabs and waste water treatment plants.

LCB in Houston, Texas

39 months ago

Hi Sandy, I'm in the Houston area and I've been thinking about learning welding at a local community college. I'm 47 and my husband has cancer. I was thinking of learning welding because I need a good job-skill to rely on in case I become widowed. Also, I do have an interest in welding, because I think it would be useful around the home. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in a science field, so I am probably over-qualified in academics, but I need the welding skills/classes & could apprentice somewhere. My mother was a WWII shipyard welder, and if she could be in that workplace in the 1940's, then, by golly, why can't I do it in this century? I can hold my own with men, enjoy working with them as long as they respect me, and I can handle any in-my-face harrassment that they would try with me. I'm a native Texan and I can take care of myself, so men and their hang-ups are the least of my concern. I'm more concerned with my AGE, wondering if this is too big a leap for me. But, I do look much younger than 47 (good inherited genes.) I've also worked as a fitness trainer and have taught even men how to lift weights, so I'm fit, strong and have no physical limitations. However my past personal training jobs have never paid enough money to be able to support myself; I've always relied on my husband's income to be our main support. But, his cancer diagnosis changed everything, including any belief I may have had that he will always be around to support me. I need advice from someone who knows where I'm coming from. Thanks.

LCB in Houston, Texas

39 months ago

Sandy in Winnsboro, Texas said: Ladies I have been welding since 1972 and still welding for a living. I have my own business (shop and rig) and I would like to suggest that you think out side the box and think about starting your own business then the rednecks will be working for you. Start small on the side and grow. Learn stainless, alunumum, take extra classes on the side to learn different kinds of welding. Most of my work comes from referals. I hear all the time they were sent to me because I am the best in the area for what I do. It is not boring because I am always faced with different challenge all the time. I took a class to learn how to fix props on boats then taught my self how to fix skegs and cavatation plates on boats. I make all kinds of furniture to sell on the side. I weld on pontoon boats (that is a big need in my area) I taught myself how to weld upside down under boats ( that is were all the leaks seem to be, most of them anyway). There is so many ways to use your skills just keep looking and learning different ways to use them. I have given lessons in my shop. I go out in the field and work with my rig then come back and work in the shop. I would be hard pressed to work in a shop that belonged to someone else doing the same thing every day. I have been there and your right it is so boring. It is a good place to start just don't stay there. Look around and think outside the box.

Hi Sandy, I'm in the Houston area and I've been thinking about learning welding at a local community college. I'm 47 and my husband has cancer. I was thinking of learning welding because I need a good job-skill to rely on in case I become widowed. Also, I do have an interest in welding, because I think it would be useful around the home. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in a science field, so I am probably over-qualified in academics, but I need the welding skills/classes & could apprentice somewhere. My mother was a WWII shipyard welder, and if she c

Sandy in Quitman, Texas

39 months ago

First of all I am so sorry about your husband being sick. Well being from Houston is a plus. Lots of jobs in welding there. I would first say think about what type of welding would you want to do. Some are more steady than others. Some are more fisical than others. Some pay more than others. I have a hard time doing the same thing over and over so working in a shop where you go to the same place and do the same things every day gets old and boring. Yes your age will work against you but it is not impossible. There is always someone out there that will give you a chance just keep going. Why don't you e-mail me and we can talk about the different directions you might go. There are so many ways you could go with this. I can share with you what I went through when I started and maybe it is better today but by listening to these other women not sure that is true. My e-mail address is neebell@peoplescom.net.

Anna in Cranbrook, British Columbia

39 months ago

im a woman welder i just finished the Level C welding corse in B.C. and i was hoping for a little advice

Sandy in Quitman, Texas

39 months ago

Not sure I can help but what is your question.

tractdentyne in North Charleston, South Carolina

38 months ago

I have found work in Charleston area in Ship yard work. I am a female and there are four women employed where I am at. I got certified and had no actual work experience but it is true your experience will come once you get in to your field as with any job no matter what trade you are in. From my experience men are not threatened by me and do not see me as a threat but are very helpfull and offer plenty of valuable advice and help if you are willing to take it. My experience working in the field has been a postive as of yet maybe you should come to Dentyn Ship Yard in Charleston, SC.

38 months ago

Lorena Herrera in Houston, Texas said: I am 21yrs old and I went to school for safety and since I have gotten my certification I havent had no luck. They tell me they want someone with experience well how are you suppose to get that if no one will give you a chance. I am wanting to learn welding and I am willing to pay someone to teach me the basics so I can land a job as a welder helper.. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

I know it sounds bad but fake it till you make it experience will come from the field and as long as you got your basics and actualy know how to well you can come in as a contractor are you willing to travel? I do not see how they can keep you out if you come in and actualy pass the welding test.

38 months ago

alice in Penticton, British Columbia said: my boyfriend and i are 19 and are interested into going into welding. he is for sure, i would really love to, and i think i could be very good at it.. i know my mom will "look down" on me because this is the second time i have changed my mind on what i want to do and i am not looking forward to telling her. i want to weld for quite a few years in northern canada to earn good money and save it for when i want to come back down, i am suprised there are many older ladies welding out there! :) good for you! i think when i get older though i will switch careers to something less straining. i would like to do something that, when i go home at the end of the day, i feel like i have done a really hard job well. i have been with this boyfriend for almost 4 years, we don't see us parting.. do you think it is a good idea to go into this with him and possibly work in the same place as him? also, i don't know much about welding but i have been resarching and i am very glad i found this page.. do you think i would be safer or more secure from the discrimination because of my relationship or would they give me a harder time? any advice on anything would be much appretiated.. as for melissas comment.. i am told to be a very attractive girl too.. please let me know how that works out in the feild? if it comes to it i might have to dull myself out for work but i can still dall up for my bf after work and at home ;)

I am 40 years of age and me and my husband are both welders and let me tell you I think it is a good move and you will both make good money for your future. I take my marriage vowes very serious and am very careful to not over step my boundaries but I think as long as you and your partner are faithful you will indeed get very far and this can become a very lucrative for you both.

38 months ago

gethhyn@yahoo.com in West Palm Beach, Florida said: I've said it before and I'll say it again. Men are job scared. When the economy was booming, no one cared that I was on the job. But, as soon as the jobs started to dry up, "the boys" "needed" to work and I "needed" to go home and take care of the man and the kids. Men do not want to be bested at a "man's" job by a woman. They also don't like women to do the same job because then they don't have an excuse for not pulling their weight at work or home. If I can do my job AND come home and take care of things,then a man has no excuse. No more coming home and saying he busted his ass so he deserves to sit on his ass when he gets home.

Sorry but I would think they would be more threatened by the illegals imagrantes in the business verses the woman.

38 months ago

britnchick said: Hi, Im not too sure if Im in the right place but I thought you might be able to direct me in the right direction if Im not.

I have just put down a deposit to hold a spot for my daughter at Tulsa Welding school down in Oklahoma to start next fall. Its going to cost about $16k. I was wondering if any of you could suggest where i could go to look up or apply for scholarships or grants for her as im a single mum and have no idea where to start. Ive looked myself on the internet but am only finding scholarships for two to four years courses and Tulsas is on a eight month course. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't believe there are any grant unless she goes for an associate's or bachlores degree. I will say this for her she is going to an awsome school and will get great skills.

gethhyn@yahoo.com in Jupiter, Florida

38 months ago

I'm in the Union. There are no illegals. They do background checks-especially if you are going to the Nukes. They actually call your references. Drug test you and want your proof of graduation or your GED. You need your SS#, a driver's license-cleam record. Ironically enough down here in Florida, even non-union guys will run off an illegal from a weld shop.

38 months ago

If you have a pipefitter/steamfitter local union, they pay pay for your training and help you get on the job training/work. You usually need to be voted in, but Unions like to hire women in a male dominated area.

38 months ago

alice in Penticton, British Columbia said: my boyfriend and i are 19 and are interested into going into welding. he is for sure, i would really love to, and i think i could be very good at it.. i know my mom will "look down" on me because this is the second time i have changed my mind on what i want to do and i am not looking forward to telling her. i want to weld for quite a few years in northern canada to earn good money and save it for when i want to come back down, i am suprised there are many older ladies welding out there! :) good for you! i think when i get older though i will switch careers to something less straining. i would like to do something that, when i go home at the end of the day, i feel like i have done a really hard job well. i have been with this boyfriend for almost 4 years, we don't see us parting.. do you think it is a good idea to go into this with him and possibly work in the same place as him? also, i don't know much about welding but i have been resarching and i am very glad i found this page.. do you think i would be safer or more secure from the discrimination because of my relationship or would they give me a harder time? any advice on anything would be much appretiated.. as for melissas comment.. i am told to be a very attractive girl too.. please let me know how that works out in the feild? if it comes to it i might have to dull myself out for work but i can still dall up for my bf after work and at home ;)

My boyfriend and I have been together 5 years. He's a plumber but now pipefitter. I'm a pipefitter/welder. I cannot work with him. We have very different working styles and he would drive me crazy. When we are "out" at work or union functions, we are business professional in our behavior. Everyone that knows us knows we are together and have a family. If we are at family work functions-picnics,Christmas and Thanksgiving parties- we show affection.

38 months ago

I would also have to say that while it is great that you can work together, it is also good to be able to work on your own. Or to be able to work with someone else. You have to be able to be independant. That is not just for you, but him also. Sometime you can't be a working pair. Bosses need to know that you can work on your own and get the work done. One of the best compliments I got was from my foreman. He was working with me one day and said that I didn't need anyone to carry me. That I was fully able to do the job on my own. Wether you are a man or woman some people out there can't do the job without help.

amanda. st helens in Sheffield, United Kingdom

38 months ago

I have just done a L3 Diploma in Fab & welding, I already have a L2 and i can't even get a job. feel like giving up somtimes but there not going to bet me i will get one oneday!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.