Women Welders

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 306)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

gethhyn@yahoo.com in Jupiter, Florida

43 months ago

I am a pipefitter/welder only 6G cert.(I cannot go on to Tig unless I pass my UA 28-still an apprentis) in the Union. I can tell you this much:the only jobs really hiring right now are industrial/powerhouse jobs. If you don't have Tig certs, you will not get in as a welder. You can get in as a fitter if you have your red badge,know someone that can get you there and/or are willing to travel. If you are in the Union and they are not helping you-assuming you have been at the top of the list when callouts came and you were not called. Then you may have to sue. If you are not in the Union and you can't get in because of the Union, there are two choice:see if you can join the Union or find out what the regulations are for non-union workers. Unions have contracts with companies. If the company is 100% Union, you will not get in. If the company needs to only provide a % of Union work, then the issue you have is with the company itself. I am on the list for both industrial and in-town work. The work is coming but it is slow. Right now, there are still a good bit of welders on the bench. Most of our welders travel to make money right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Second Guessing in Lethbridge, Alberta

43 months ago

I want to get into the trades. I took a small MIG and TIG welding course and I love it! I now have some interviews for general labour/apprentice positions but I'm starting to second guess myself. I've talked to a few welders and they say it's a good job when your young but you'll regret it when you're older because it's so hard on the body. I don't that to get in the way of me choosing this career but it sort of is... any experienced welders out there who can shed light on being an older welder?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I am an older welder-39-and I am doing fine. You do need to think and work smarter, not harder. Take care of your eyes. Take care of your knees. Don't lift more than you know you can handle. Stretch before work. Alot of things are common sense. Alot of older male welders have been drinking for years or partying or not doing things in a safe manner. Some of this was do to lack of safety years ago. No days, many companies have safety meetings and classes to prevent injury.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sandy in Quitman, Texas

43 months ago

I am 63 and still welding. I agree with work smarter not harder.
My suggestion would be to set your goals to where when you get to the older years you will be the boss. There are so many directions you can go in so that when you do get in the older years it won't be hard on your body. That takes thinking outside the box and looking into what is out there not just your everyday kind of welding. Work towards specializing. There is Aluminum, bronze, stainless and many more. I would say do your research and talk to people in the area you are interested in and ask questions lots of questions. I have my own business but i had to learn the hard way. Use your head now and maybe you can keep from having to learn everything the hard way. Above all PERSEVERANCE is the key word.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

La Reyna Combo welder in Deer Park, Texas

43 months ago

i started welding 5 years ago, its been a roller coaster. I am proud to say i have been raising my kids and paying the bills. they Say its a mans job and i agree, so i tell them: its a mans job thats why my balls are bigger than yours.....

anyways there is a lot of abuse and discrimination towards woman in construction; advise i can give: respect yourself and demand respect.

your badass skills will be acknowlegded, JUST BRING IT!

and some times you got to fight back. a stupid Project manager told me when i complained about my pay rate, that i could work for him 2 day 2weeks 2months 2 years and he would never pay me what he pays a man. to make a long story short i took my complaint to the eeoc, and they found that they discriminated me against my gender.

usually the person discriminating or just hating on a woman welder is a man that wanted to weld but couldnt. I laugh at them all the way to the bank!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

La Reyna Combo welder in Deer Park, Texas

43 months ago

gethhyn@yahoo.com in Jupiter, Florida said: I am a pipefitter/welder only 6G cert.(I cannot go on to Tig unless I pass my UA 28-still an apprentis) in the Union. I can tell you this much:the only jobs really hiring right now are industrial/powerhouse jobs. If you don't have Tig certs, you will not get in as a welder. You can get in as a fitter if you have your red badge,know someone that can get you there and/or are willing to travel. If you are in the Union and they are not helping you-assuming you have been at the top of the list when callouts came and you were not called. Then you may have to sue. If you are not in the Union and you can't get in because of the Union, there are two choice:see if you can join the Union or find out what the regulations are for non-union workers. Unions have contracts with companies. If the company is 100% Union, you will not get in. If the company needs to only provide a % of Union work, then the issue you have is with the company itself. I am on the list for both industrial and in-town work. The work is coming but it is slow. Right now, there are still a good bit of welders on the bench. Most of our welders travel to make money right now.

zachry is hiring in Florida, apply online if intrested

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

They won't hire me, I'm Union. I just got hired on at St. Lucie nuke on Monday.

Lissa in Fargo, North Dakota

43 months ago

I am new to the welding production field. I attended Lynnes Welding and Training in Fargo, North Dakota. Fortunately for me, the owner of the welding school also had a welding shop of his own and I was hired on after I graduated. My boss, Dave Lynnes, who has since merged with Fargo Tank and Steel, now known as TrueNorth Steel. I have worked for Dave Lynnes since shortly after graduation. I am the only female in our shop. I have NEVER been treated differently and the men I work with are very respectful I wouldn't trade them in for anyone else. My suggestion is if your looking for EOE.... come work for Dave Lynnes, I swear the guys have never treated me anything but respectfully and they are just a great bunch of guys. I could not say this any time before.... But.... I love my job and my co workers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

crrry00 in Harlingen, Texas

42 months ago

Hello, I am 39 years old and have always worked in clerical jobs. I recently thought of becoming a welder since I have always heard it is a very good paying job and I would sure like that since I'm the head of household in my home. Is it too difficult to learn and once you learned how to weld, can you weld any material or do you have to specilized in one?

42 months ago

It is not "difficult" to learn per se. You have to be physically able to do the work. You need to understand that you will get burned. You don't pay attention to the typical burns-slag hitting you, bb's popping and hitting you in the neck,ear head,etc. The days you talk about are the ones that you've caught fire. You can specialize in Tig welding and get into stainless or aluminum welding. It is a cleaner welding process and usually more detail oriented. It can be a long process to go from just learning to weld to being proficient at it. I would count on at least five years training plus work experience to have a good welding base. You will deal with attitude issues from males. I just ran into a problem at a company that did not want to provide me with a woman's port-o-let on the job-which is required. And they laid me off as a pipefitter to bring in more pipefitters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Bakersfield, California

42 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas said: I am a woman welder and have 35 year experience. Why is it so hard for men to accept a women out in the field. I am 6G certified have my own rig. I apply and they say they will call back but never do. I had one man tell me that he thought it would be to destracting to have a woman in the field. I have worked as a structural welder and was the only woman there. I did not stop production and I did not cause any accidents. What is it with all the excuses?

I have yet to understand why they think welding is a mans job. It's frustrating and stupid. I am having a similar situation I don't have as much experience as you but. I say we get our money right and start our on companies,hire other woemn that want to do this kind of work form some sort of something that will help us get along in our trades

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sandy in Mount Vernon, Texas

42 months ago

Wish I knew how!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jazz in Edmonton, Alberta

42 months ago

Hi i'm a young woman looking into the welding field and i have a great interest in this trade! i know how males are like when they think their the dominant ones and believe woman are not equally able to get the job done! But i do not know how to prepare myself for the male environment in the real world that i will be facing...could you give me some advice on how i can prepare for whats out there???

42 months ago

Basically you go in not acting like a stupid girl. Go in like a person looking to learn a trade and be good at it. It's ok not to know things when you get in-most people don't know it till they learn it. Pay attention to everything. Not all men are down on women. Many are great at helping you along. Some want nothing better than to make your life hell and "prove" that you don't belong there. Like being out in the real world, you have to learn who to trust and who to look out for. For some reason, some men think that a woman has to be better than a man to be as good as one. I am an "average" welder. I do not have perfectly straight stringers, but they are tied in and consistant. What I lack in perfection, I make up for in knowledge. I make sure I know how to read prints,take proper measurements,have knowledge of the job. When I fit for a welder, I make sure that I am the best fitter I can be. Alot of times the respect is earned. You do have to prove that you can do the work. And that you are not there just to shake your ass and sleep with the crew to get by.

yikes in Vancouver, British Columbia

42 months ago

I'm in my third month at welding school and love it. the guys are great and I am having no issues learning the material or welding! (no idea how I can catch on so quickly), But I am having an issue with gloves. I have small hands and gloves are much to large making me clumsy and my pinky and ring fingers are in contstant pain due to my gloves being large. I have spoke with the other womwn in my course and they are having the same issue. Could you guys point me (us) to a brand of glove that fits smaller?
thank you so much!!
Kay

42 months ago

I don't use regular welding gloves never have for the same reason.
I use the short leather work gloves made out of deer skin (soft leather). Don't last as long but that is what I use

42 months ago

Do the best job you can stay focused on the job and don't date the
men you work with. Be a lady even though you work like a man. Listen watch and learn all you can. Anytime you can take an extra
class and learn something new go for it. You will have to earn the
respect and not expect any favors just because your a woman. In fact sometimes you will have to work harder because they will test
you. Good luck

Andrea in Bakersfield, California

42 months ago

They don;t have many women welding gloves but I wear Angelfire glves they are fo women and fit well search for them online and they will show up. As far as the young lady asking about how can you prepare to work with men. Men are cool to work with I've never had any problems and treat them like brother or friends there is no big deal I have always looked at it like that. I am the only black woman welder in my city and I get along great with everyone I've ever worked with. Learn as much as you can and practice makes perfect. We really need more women in industry and I wish you the best of luck

42 months ago

gethhyn@yahoo.com in Jupiter, Florida said: Basically you go in not acting like a stupid girl. Go in like a person looking to learn a trade and be good at it. It's ok not to know things when you get in-most people don't know it till they learn it. Pay attention to everything. Not all men are down on women. Many are great at helping you along. Some want nothing better than to make your life hell and "prove" that you don't belong there. Like being out in the real world, you have to learn who to trust and who to look out for. For some reason, some men think that a woman has to be better than a man to be as good as one. I am an "average" welder. I do not have perfectly straight stringers, but they are tied in and consistant. What I lack in perfection, I make up for in knowledge. I make sure I know how to read prints,take proper measurements,have knowledge of the job. When I fit for a welder, I make sure that I am the best fitter I can be. Alot of times the respect is earned. You do have to prove that you can do the work. And that you are not there just to shake your ass and sleep with the crew to get by.

Thank you so much for the advice...it encourages me to do better and now reall y look forward to the welding career! Thank you so much!

P.S. I'm not in it for the guys at all, its not who i am...i'm in it for hands on experience and hard work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

sandy in Mount Vernon, Texas said: Do the best job you can stay focused on the job and don't date the
men you work with. Be a lady even though you work like a man. Listen watch and learn all you can. Anytime you can take an extra
class and learn something new go for it. You will have to earn the
respect and not expect any favors just because your a woman. In fact sometimes you will have to work harder because they will test
you. Good luck

Thank you so much...i appreciate your advice! i will deffinitly keep that in mind! i am really looking forward to the education, training, and most of the work involved!

P.S. And i don't date work colleuges and never have...its not part of the job or who i am! i am in a serious relationship...and i am very independent woman and ask for no favours just advice for how to get the work done! Thank you for the advice!

Dani in Kamloops, British Columbia

41 months ago

Hi this is my first time on this site, i have read alot of blogs. And i know all to well what it is like to try and find a welding job as a women and be in a male dominated work force. I have been called all the nasty names, picked at and not hired, being given all the crappy jobs the guys pawn off, because i am a women. But im still proud to say that i am a level A journeyman welder:) I have been working on heavy duty equipment since the start. I finally have a great bunch of guys i work with now. They have accepted im not going anywhere and that im very talented at what i do. And that i do have rights, and can us them if need be. I am 26 years old and have been welding for 7 years now. I am considering a career change because my little 125 lbs body is just tired. I enjoy my job but i am having to get adjusted every week at the end of my shift, to get rid of my headaches, due to my neck going out of place constantly. I would like to find something that i can still somewhat be apart of the trade. Does anyone have any advise for me? Thank alot :)

Dani in Kamloops, British Columbia

41 months ago

yikes in Vancouver, British Columbia said: I'm in my third month at welding school and love it. the guys are great and I am having no issues learning the material or welding! (no idea how I can catch on so quickly), But I am having an issue with gloves. I have small hands and gloves are much to large making me clumsy and my pinky and ring fingers are in contstant pain due to my gloves being large. I have spoke with the other womwn in my course and they are having the same issue. Could you guys point me (us) to a brand of glove that fits smaller?
thank you so much!!
Kay

I have been welding for 7 years. And i had the same issue. Miller came out with a glove called the power of blue. Comes in a small and is a heavy duty glove. They are nice and light and they last a long time i find i can get a few months out of them. Best of Luck

gethhyn@yahoo.com in Delray Beach, Florida

41 months ago

You should look into stainless/aluminum tig welding. It's cleaner, almost no heavy duty grunt work like heavy machinery type welding. You could get into the boating industry. My dad used to make the bow rails for boats-more delicate and less heavy work. Or look into machine shops that need someone that can be an all around worker, i.e. run equipment, do repairs, welding, sheet metal.

sandy in Scroggins, Texas

41 months ago

You could try being an instructor at a welding school. There is the artistic side of welding where you deal with interior decorators.

STEELHEART WELD'N FAB in Edmonton, Alberta

40 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas said: I am a woman welder and have 35 year experience. Why is it so hard for men to accept a women out in the field. I am 6G certified have my own rig. I apply and they say they will call back but never do. I had one man tell me that he thought it would be to destracting to have a woman in the field. I have worked as a structural welder and was the only woman there. I did not stop production and I did not cause any accidents. What is it with all the excuses?

hey sandy

my name is tamara and i am a rig welder in alberta.
i out weld alot of the guys, run my own rig and my own farm.
i get no respect, and these young guys, they are the worst.
most of them are not skilled and only care about money.
i get alot of abuse of every kind, just so that i can do the job that i love.
i wish that we all lived alot closer, we could support each other and maybe even work together
in my 12 years of welding it has gotten worse not better
it doesnt matter how good a welder you are.
you still dont have a dick
i know that i sound btchy, but i aint never gonna give up. and you cant either.
i dont want to work in a shop either
been there done that payed my dues.
i guess what i am saying is that we are screwed.
you can email me at steelheart@live.ca
hang in there sandy,

TAMARA- TICKETED ALBERTA JOURNYMAN WELDER

har969 in Federal Way, Washington

40 months ago

We should definitely support each other and it would be a good thing for us women to bond together and maybe start companies that employ each other...
I am a certified FCAW, SMAW structural steel welder and can fit and pipe weld and pipe fit.
If there are any women out there that own there own business and have job openings.....
Drop me a line
I live in the pacific northwest
H Rogers
I am at the point where, I get a job and then I get harassed and treated badly by a group of people at the company.
I am almost to the point where I think that the companies are paying people to run me out of there, because they are afraid of a harassment suit.
I just recently left a company because they hired me as a welder and then they started giving me labor work to do, and I am doing all the grinding and needlegunning, when I was hired before all the people around me on this boat that I was working on.
I had finally had enough, and walked out.....
I called the next day to talk to the guy that hired me and found out that because I walked off the company and didnt tell anyone they terminated me for making racist remarks.....
Which, never happened...... That is the type of things that I am dealing with, where as they go to great lengths to cover themselves by ruining my credibility/reputation.
So, what do you do?
I have had people call me up, that arent even in my union telling me that I should get out, the union doesnt want me!
What would you guys do?????

40 months ago

jason@pacifictradesplus.com in San Diego, California said: Well if any of you girls want to weld in San Diego you will get plenty of respect around here. I've got several gals working and some of them are absolutely amazing. And I'm hiring.... :-)

I saw your ad Jason and I am interested in a position as a welder.
Certified FCAW and SMAW all positions structural steel, Innersheild, stainless....Shipfitting experience as well as pipe welding and pipe fitting experience.
Attached you will find my email har969@yahoo.com If you are still hiring, let me know...
If there is per diem, I will travel

itzmee312 in Pasadena, Texas

39 months ago

at most welding supply stores small sizes are available. you could also use a small leather hand glove in your tig glove to make them a little tighter

guieb in Makati, Philippines

38 months ago

i am 29yrs. old, i am a woman and also studied welder SMAW NC2 passer... i'm just high school graduate... no experience in working as a welder... i want to learn more about welding so that i can find jobs for welder or even just a welder helper... i hope somebody out there could help me..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sandy in Quitman, Texas

38 months ago

Not sure how to help when you live in the Philippines. Just start
knocking on door and applying to ads until a door opens. Just be sure they are going to help you in your welding career and that they are not helping you for other reasons. Good Luck

Patrea in Auckland, New Zealand

37 months ago

Im very new to welding,got an apprenticeship at the beginning of this year, have some amazing quality guys to work with and some complete and utter @$*%#%$@& also. Am loving the welding work and have been thrown in at the deep end a little with the work, but am learning fast. Am lucky that am very tall and strong and find it fairly easy to put the nasty guys in their place, and the worst ones are pretty lazy and incompetent at their jobs anyway.The ones that back me really do and all the truck drivers that we fix the trucks of (mostly male) are fantastic. I guess Im fairly lucky compared to what Ive read on this site. Im so impressed by the strength expressed by so many of you,espescially the ones that have done this long term.
Thanks, Pat
T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Where do you work, like what city?
How did you get involved in welding?

37 months ago

I work in Auckland City, New Zealand and am 37.I decided to get into mechanical work a few years ago after being made redundant in child care work. It was something I have always wanted to do since I was very young and my daughter was getting old enough to for me to do longer working hours. After going to tech on and off for a few years,doing paid driving work and free mechanical work that wasnt leading towards a paid job,I finished tech and offered free work again. Knocked on alot of doors and finally got taken on by a trucking co. After a month they were pretty sure they wanted to hire me, sent me out to their ex-welder (a very tough employer) who gave them great feedback and they took me on as their apprentice welder.Turns out I love welding more than mechanical work (though I still enjoy it and get to do also). Pat
ng unusm

37 months ago

I work in Auckland City, New Zealand and am 37. I decided to get into mechanical work a few years ago after being made redundant in child care work. It was something I have always wanted to do since I was very young and my daughter was getting old enough to for me to do longer working hours. After going to tech on and off for a few years,doing paid driving work and free mechanical work that wasnt leading towards a paid job,I finished tech and offered free work again. Knocked on alot of doors and finally got taken on by a trucking co. After a month they were pretty sure they wanted to hire me, sent me out to their ex-welder (a very tough employer) who gave them great feedback and they took me on as their apprentice welder.Turns out I love welding more than mechanical work (though I still enjoy it and get to do also). Pat
ng unusm

Gwendolyn in Los Angeles, California

37 months ago

I run a small portable welding company, and we are always looking for new welders, I have plenty of work for anyone who is a L.A. certified welder in structural steel. We are portable and it is a different experience every time you go to a new job. We do everything from doggy doors in security screen door, to stainless steel for restaurants, you name it I get a call for it. I am a woman and have to say all my interactions with men in the field of welding have been positive. Maybe, Los Angeles is a more forward thinking city, but I believe if you are good at what you do, no one can hold you back. When I first started I could not carry my portable welder, but I worked on building my strength up so I could and in the meantime welded a cart to haul the welder to and from jobs. The only obstacle truly I have found is finding gloves that fit properly. Most places don't stock women gloves or even small men gloves. My best advice to women in welding is keep learning, practicing, and don't assume that people don't want women welding. WE NEED MORE WELDERS in America.

rikki in Guthrie, Oklahoma

37 months ago

Lorena Herrera in Houston, Texas said: I am 21yrs old and I went to school for safety and since I have gotten my certification I havent had no luck. They tell me they want someone with experience well how are you suppose to get that if no one will give you a chance. I am wanting to learn welding and I am willing to pay someone to teach me the basics so I can land a job as a welder helper .. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

hi my name is rikki (yeah im a women) and if u really want to weld u can do a jobcorps they have them in a lot of states they have one in oklahoma called guthrie jobcorps its free and u should check it out they offer alot and. thats where i went its gets u certified.... they also offer advanced training to get your 6G its ages 16-24yrs old to go..... good luck :)

sandy in Quitman, Texas

37 months ago

Community college's have classes where you can take welding. I went in the evening classes after work twice a week.

37 months ago

I went through my UA Local 630 union apprenticeship program. I got in because the Local needed women apprentices in the program. Many unions require you to have a family member in the local. You can call the local Union hall or apprenticeship program to see if they are accepting new members.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bailey in Pine Knot, Kentucky

35 months ago

i am about to graduate from a trade school for welding, im a 24 year old woman, and i will be a constant reminder to the men that woman can do anything a man can do!!! i refuse to give up or let them bring me down!! This is my dream and i will make it come true!!

WeldingBabe in Kennewick, Washington

33 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas said: Lorena I would be gald to help if your were closer. I have given lessons before but you could also go to a community college and take classes...........I talked to a welder in Canada and he was looking for a women helper . He said that he would much rather work with a women than a man. I have thought about starting a welding school for women and help women that want to get into the field. A few law suits on womens rights and these companies might think twice.

Sandy,
If you do consider starting up a welding school for women, I would love to teach there. I have a 2yr degree in Welding Technology, and for the last 5 years have been a Commercial Welder/Diver. I coordinated and created a course with the community college near my company to teach and facilitate company employees using a state grant, as well as dedicating my time to instruct there upon the school's permission. I am a big part of the Welding Division at my company. I have also helped other co-workers at the shop and on jobs that have asked for my help to be better welders both in the dry and wet. I don't always have all the answers when someone asks me a question. But, I tell them that I will do my best to find it and get back to them asap. Anyway, every time that I have helped somebody it has always left me with a good feeling that I would teach if it gave me that feeling all the time.
When I was hired, I was 1 of the first 2 women hired in the 10 yrs the company had been in operation. I understand what it's like to feel like I am not going to be hired because I'm a woman. It was difficult the first time and I haven't experienced the 2nd...but, when or if I do...I will persevere.

madwelder in Robertsdale, Alabama

32 months ago

Hey my name is maddie, I am a high school senior in high school take welding courses. I love it sooo much but my welding teacher, mom, and step dad do not want to see me go into that type of field. They believe since I am an attractive young girl that I will be harassed. I am a good welder and I would really like to succeed in the industry. I am just wondering what should I do.
Its a guys job I understand that but at the same time women are really just great welders. Guys will talk their talk I'm used to it but the fear of my family and teacher is that it would be really bad. My heart is set I just do not want to go against the opinions of people I highly respect.

Sandy in Yantis, Texas

32 months ago

Maddie my name is Sandra and I have been welding for a long time. I started in 1972 and I can tell you it was not easy and if this is what you decide to do it will not be easy. Just the way it is. I understand and respect your parents concerns. Your welding teacher does not count. This is your life and a welding teacher in school (which I am sure is a man) does not need to be telling you what to do with it. Yes what they say is true you will be harassed and a lot of other things but you can still be a lady and be in welding. It is a choice. What you learn in school is just a drop in the bucket to what it is like in the real world of welding. That is when you really start learning. There are so many way to go in the field of welding. I would say if this is really what you think you want to do go for it. With respect to your parents concerns I would say they just want a easier life for you. I have daughters and I understand where they are coming from but this is you life and if this is what you what you want to do I say go for it. I will say that you should be smart and think about the big picture. The older you get the harder it is on you. It is hot, cold, heavy work and dirty I have scars from grinders and being burned. If you do want to do this think about going into it and work towards a welding - structural engineer career. specialized welding like stainless steel, aluminum or other special kind of metals. There is the career of Metallurgy that you could add to your welding. You do not want to get my age and be out here still just being a welder. You can learn to weld but think BIGGER. Take the knowledge and keep adding to it( I guess what I am saying is use your head not your back).Welding can take you in so many directions. I took the road less traveled but I wish I had been smarter when I was younger and getting started in welding. What I am telling you don't see yourself as a just a welder but use welding as a stepping stone to something more

Jenny Black Fox in Manchester, United Kingdom

31 months ago

I'm 27 and have been TIG welding a couple of years. I really struggled to get a job in this industry. When I was finishing college there was a lad in my class who was a long way behind me in terms of skill and equal in lack of experience. We both applied for the same job - he got it and I didn't even get an interview. The more women that get into welding the easier it will get as attitudes change - there is no reason at all why men would be better welders. It took me about a year to actually get a job and I was made redundant when the company went under, so I set up my own decorative metalwork company at the start of this year, www.blackfoxmetalcraft.co.uk I hope to be able to take on staff and hopefully help out girls in the situation I was a couple of years ago!

Jenny Black Fox in Manchester, United Kingdom

31 months ago

And Maddie I think go for it. I totally understand why your parents are concerned - mine were a little the same when I was getting into welding - its not going to be an easy job but it is so important to be doing a job you enjoy. Life's to short not to! But I think when they see you in a career that is fulfilling and that you enjoy, they'll be really proud that you had the balls to go for what you wanted. Good luck with it.

Elyse in Victorville, California

29 months ago

I'm about to start welding school in just a few weeks . I'm a 24 year old women n ready to kick ass n hang worthwhile boys n show them I'm right there wit them . What areas should I work on more ? What should I look put for? Also anyone know how many welding Jobs In ax? What things should I buy? N can anyone speak of. Pay ?

Sandy in Quitman, Texas

29 months ago

Just learn all you can in school be the best you can be and stay a lady.
Pay depends on what type of welding you do where you live and who your working for. Getting through school is one thing finding a job is the next. It has been along time for me since I stepped outside the class room I hope for your sake it has changed. Remember one word PERSEVERANCE you will need allot of it. Decide what type of welding you want to do and focus on what it takes to go in that field. Good Luck

Crystal Kelly in Athabasca, Alberta

27 months ago

I am a Welder /Fitter with 13+ years experience in the trade. I must say it has done me quite well over the years. I'm in my late 30's and eyes and knees are still holding up great even though I have took on a new position in a management role. It is very true that welding can be tough but to all of you struggling, STICK WITH IT!!!! It does get easier and also opens up so many more opportunities career wise for when you get older. I am a Project Manager as well as a QC Inspector and still currently hold all my Pressure Piping and safety tickets. We need more women in the trades and we can do the job just as good if not better than the boys....I am living proof of that!!!! So good luck to all you women on your journey to becoming a great welder!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tangledstrings in Napa, California

24 months ago

Ever since i first picked up a torched in art school I have been curious about becoming a welder full time. Do you have any suggestions for me when just starting out?

Sandy in Yantis, Texas

24 months ago

First I would decide what direction I wanted to go in. There are so many ways to go with welding. I have been welding since 1972 and there are so much to say and tell you that I wish I had known. It would take a while. What would you like to be able to do after you learn to weld. Do you want to do art are work in a factory out in the field? Tell me some of your thoughts on what you would like to do if you could weld.

Wench Deal in Newyork, United States minor outlying islands

20 months ago

She simply has no restraint or he is simply giving you a faltering reason not to contact you. Let him know to weld test you then demonstrate to him what you got for quality welds and possibly he will shut up and procure you.

www.cairnssteel.com.au/

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.