How to get into pipe welding in Alberta

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Jordan Johnston in Gatineau, Quebec

32 months ago

Hi. I'm 17 years old turnning 18 in april. After highschool I would like to go to school for welding, but I don't know where to start. I would like to move to Alberta and do some pipe welding but I don't know what tickets I need. Can anyone help me out, I live in Gatineau Quebec witch is close to Ottawa. Is there any schools around that I can get a high pressure welding cours? I'd also like to note that iv welded in highschool and I was pretty good at stick welding. I am very motivated to do this, and I do understand that it's not easy. Any peace of edvice would help me right now. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

-FIRE-AND-SMOKE-- in Edmonton, Alberta

27 months ago

Jordan Johnston in Gatineau, Quebec said: Hi. I'm 17 years old turnning 18 in april. After highschool I would like to go to school for welding, but I don't know where to start. I would like to move to Alberta and do some pipe welding but I don't know what tickets I need. Can anyone help me out, I live in Gatineau Quebec witch is close to Ottawa. Is there any schools around that I can get a high pressure welding cours? I'd also like to note that iv welded in highschool and I was pretty good at stick welding. I am very motivated to do this, and I do understand that it's not easy. Any peace of edvice would help me right now. Thank you.

Hey Jordan, first off, you need to know that there are alot of politicsinvolved with the welding trade. Alot more so than any other trade. Every time you go a new job or
company there is a job test required. There are ticket check tests to keep all of your tickets up to date. If you want to be a B Pressure welder, you first have to complete your apprenticeship. And you can't start your apprenticeship in Quebec and then move here to Alberta and expect that they will give you credit for your time because Alberta will not recognise a Quebec aprenticeship. If you live in Quebec and you want to work in Alberta, you will have to either complete your apprenticeship in Quebec and get your Red Seal , then come here. Or come here and to the whole thing here, which , by the way will give you favor when it comes time to do your B.
I hope this helped a bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.