welder shortage? economy?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Jane123 in New Iberia, Louisiana

71 months ago

I am a female graduates with diploma in welding, i say this because to some, it makes a big difference. Currently looking for a job, having trouble, have been turned away cause of my sex. I understand the pros and con of a female in this field.

When reading about our country having a shortage with welders(which was why i decide to become one) and now looking for work, i can understand why we have this problem. In the south, a white male is first, then maybe a colored person, then last, a female. Is it that some people have too much F***** ego/pride to work next to someone that they think less of? Because in this field you have lots of a******* who cant handle a younger person with more skills getting paid more. Though some leaders, are trying to promote equal opportunity and appeal to people to slove this problem. But truely it's a problem with our countries's society/morals/values. Without female welders helping in WW1 and WW2, our county wont have the supply to aid our soldiers. It was then,women were paid less, and kicked out/fired after males return from war. Still today, women are not equal. Thank you to those few who see welding as a foundation of our country's infrastruture, and keeping the place positive.

I can say this much, there are lots of unprofessional places out there, but i know there is a small percentage of professional companies that grow because color,sex..etc doesnt matter in the work place. In the mean time, i will go door to door till i find a decent place that looks at my skills first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah

71 months ago

I find it impressive how you vilify the entire industry but have yet to find a job in it. What you say may indeed be true, but it's not fair to knock something when you yourself have not even entered into the particular trade's workforce. I hear good stories with the bad for women welders, but I'm going into the profession with an open mind, knowing the up- and downsides but not allowing for any bitterness (which you seem to have). Such negative behaviors tend to leak through and can taint anything we can do. Be persistant and patient, get your feet wet and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rick in Eden, North Carolina

69 months ago

i would have no problem welding next to a woman at all but not one that thinks the industry owes her something because shes a minority,times are tough you will get your shot in the mean time all you can do is practice ,take classes, get better,make contacts in your community that way when it finally does break you will be setting them on fire instead of bitching about being equal....equal means equal get in line

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jane123 in Mobile, Alabama

68 months ago

Hey. the economy's bad, but slowin getting it back. My first week of job search was harsh. Now im workin(not the idea place), but you cant be picky doing this time. I still get crap from the folks at work. Im didnt take it personal, but the guys in my crew are all professional,luckly. And ways, as long as you go, door to door, you'll find a place. Industrial job hotsheet, is good with job postings. Also check out local unemployment site/agency, some places will only test throught contact there. In the mean time, keep our heads up and take care of what you gotta do.

blippy in Holmen, Wisconsin

54 months ago

i am a weldor, which is how you spell it, and i can say that thru my experience we have all been thru tough times and dont judge anyone. The one doing the hiring is the pencil pusher in the office, not us workers, so dont blame us for your discrimination or inability to get hired. Altho im in the open minded midwest so idk about other regions. good luck!

blaze 'o glory in Shreveport, Louisiana

54 months ago

You're going to find jerks out there, but there are also a lot of great people/contacts you will meet as well! What type of welding do you do? pipeline, structural, shop,etc? I only ask out of curiosity. Chin up, and check your ego! That's all the advice you're going to need!!

BaltoCoder in Maryland

53 months ago

My husband is considering being a weldor? His brother owns two companies (trash and recycling) and they need weldors. His brother said the welding supervisor could teach him. Is this true? My husband has NO experience in construction. Are there licensing or certifications? Do you join a union (although I don't think his brother has union workers; they all work for the company and most have been there 15-25 years)
We are more of in need of the medical benefits than the salary so I am not as concerned with potential earnings as I am with safety and practicality. I assumed this was a trade, almost an art, that you need some type of inherant skill for, not something that just anyone could learn in "a few weeks"

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.