Wildlife biology as a career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 178 of 178)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

NicoleH in Wilmington, Delaware

21 months ago

Wow this thread is still just as depressing as ever! I'm starting at a new college in the fall for a bs in wildlife conservation and refuse to accept that I am not going to find a job doing SOMETHING. It may not be like what you see on the discovery channel but it HAS to be better than working in a cubicle all day.

I am actually just curious if anyone on here can clarify specifically what the differences are between a wildlife biologist and an ecologist? There is an ecology major at the school I am transferring to and it seems very interesting to me also, but I am honestly not very clear on what an ecologist would actually do on a daily basis as oppose to a wildlife biologist? Also, are ecologists in any more demand or is the outlook still just as grim?

Thanks for any info :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Northstarr in Edmonton, Alberta

21 months ago

hi Nicole,

You would basically be doing the same sorts of activities. Sorry, but the reality of the field is that no - you will end up working in a cubicle ALL DAY. That is the whole point of this thread is for people to see the reality of it. You will be in the field for a few weeks at a time during your masters and possibly if you are lucky, in your full-time job if you get one, after you graduate. The irony is that the most interesting, exciting positions where you are in the field all day actually working with wildlife, are the most lowest paid jobs ever if that, most of them are volunteer. Actual biologist/ecologist jobs are mostly office work, being on a computer all day, endless data analysis using statistical software, writing reports, and writing funding proposals to further your research. All the cool national geographic photo spreads and discovery channel documentaries are just smoke and mirrors to make people think that those types of jobs are so exciting, when in reality it just reflects maybe a few days or weeks of that type of work compared to a whole year of inane drudgery. You are always vying for funds, your job security is pretty low, and the more money you make the less time you are actually outside. If that sounds like your bag then go for it. See my above post a few weeks ago for more details.

NicoleH in Wilmington, Delaware

21 months ago

Thanks for such a quick response. To clarify when I say working in a cubicle I am mainly referring to my previous jobs working for banks and lawyers. It's not the desk I have a problem with...to be completely honest I am quite comfortable at my desk a lot of the time. It's working at a desk for countless hours for something I do not believe in or even really care about that is the problem. To be honest I am not even hoping to enter the field to be outdoors all the time or have some glamorous job like you see on tv. So the idea of working at a desk all day does not deter me at all. I would like to think that my previous experience would actually just help with some of the things you mentioned above. I do appreciate you being very honest with your responses. This thread has definitely been very informative and it is nice to actually hear how things really are from someone with experience in the field.

backcountry in Denver, Colorado

20 months ago

Hi everyone,

I have a BS in Wildlife Biology. I've worked several seasonal tech jobs and now have a FT job with an NGO. It's not exactly what I want to do, but its a job and I get out in the field a bit. For the last several years, I've questioned if I made the right "degree path" as I have learned through this process that moving around for jobs isn't what I really want. I love traveling, but not by myself. I'd rather have my partner there to experience it with me. So I'm in a situation now, where I still have to travel for work (during field season) when I'd rather be working in one area. ( I currently travel to several different states). I can't say I got much help during my undergrad for advise (years back). And I'm considering a different path/career change. I'm wondering if there is much hope for me to find a wildlife biology job that keeps me in my current city/surrounding area, and allows me to work with and study terrestrial mammals? Any advice?

My other career choice is my DVM. But that's in Fort Collins and I just bought a house... Isn't life grand? ;)
A Masters might get me more options in my current field, but I want to be near home. And I question if that's the wrong direction if I'm less willing to travel now?? Advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MontanaWildlife in Bozeman, Montana

20 months ago

The one thing I really remember my advisor telling me in school is that wildlife degrees don't give you many fall-back options. You either do wildlife, or get a different degree and do something else. That has stuck with me because it turns out to be pretty true. I guess the real question is what specifically is it that you want to do? If it's work near Denver in a job that lets you be outside most of the time studying terrestrial mammals, how many such positions really exist (maybe you've looked into this, maybe not?) I'm going to venture a guess that it's not many. Take it a step further...that sounds like a pretty sweet job. How many folks with Master's degrees or higher would apply for said job if it did come open? I'm going to guess that this would be a very difficult job to land. If it's less computer time, less travel time, more hands-on time you are looking for, a DVM might not be a bad option. Given the current job outlook for wildlife positions (particularly for Gov agencies), it probably has better prospects for work in the forseeable future. Who knows... you could always be a wildlife vet :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mlund95 in Denver, Colorado

20 months ago

hello everyone! I am currently a high school senior and I am looking between two different schools to go to. One offers a Bachelor's of Arts in "Ecology and Evolutionary Biology" and the other offers a Bachelor's of Science in "Biology".
I aspire to be a wildlife biologist or something along those lines in the future, which school should i go to just looking at the facts above? Which of those two degrees would be best for my career? Thanks!

JessAbby in Wilmington, Delaware

20 months ago

I am currently a sophomore and working on a b.s. in ecology, however, I am starting to question whether or not I have chosen the correct path. I know it's what I love and am passionate about, but I do not know if I am willing to make the personal sacrifices to do what I really want to do. As much as I love to travel, I am not sure I want to be away from my own animals and family all of the time, or be stuck living in temporary housing working seasonal jobs. Is this pretty much inevitable for this field? I feel like I don't want to give up on my dreams quite yet, but after reading this forum, I am almost more convinced I should think about another path.......just not sure what....sigh

SquirrelBait in Austin, Texas

20 months ago

So, this forum is actually really helpful.

I've determined that if you want to work in wildlife conservation, etc. you need the following:

* a whole bunch of classes in science and math
* GIS knowledge
* data collection and analysis knowledge
* field experience
* low paying tech job experience
* volunteer expereince
* policy knowledge
* fundraising and grant writing experience
* a masters degree in something related

Anything else I should add to my list?

I'm 27. I have a degree in government and experience working on political campaigns and for non profits. Currently I have four squirrels living in my spare room (in a cage), almost ready to release. Other than that, I'm starting at the bottom. Even though I have a lot of work to do, I'm not discouraged. I have the rest of my life to learn and gain experiences. Sure it will be hard, but at least I'll spend my life doing things that interest me. Everything on my list above interests me, so I think I'm in good shape.

I also want to say that if everyone on this forum worked together we'd be unstoppable. Maybe some of us should think about opening our own businesses/nonprofits and including each other in the process...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne5 in Chicago, Illinois

19 months ago

First, I want to say how helpful this forum is. Second, how refreshing it is to find everyone, with differing opinions and experiences, so respectful on an internet forum. I'm feeling all ya'll's frustrations and aspirations. I've been a seasonal biological science technician with the National Park Service for 4 seasons @ 2 National Parks. They were not ideal, but they were where I could get a job living the places I was at (my husband is an academic so I've been following him around, a whole 'nother story and situation). So I kinda "fell" into being a seasonal biotech, in not so ideal gemstone parks, in metropolitan areas. The work has exposed me to a lot that I wouldn't have experienced had I pursued what I most wanted to do. Previous to being a biotech, I dabbled in sustainable ag, environmental education, environmental restoration, poverty work, fundraising for an international environmental org, etc. I started out in the very beginning as a full-time volunteer at another National Park because I couldn't find a job. The NPS offered me housing (better than any place I've ever actually paid $ for), food stipend, amazing friends, and an experience that was unlike any other (sea turtle work on volcanic beaches). That set me up to be paid part-time the next year from the state. Not much pay at all, but I had no student loans, no credit card bills, no partner and no children, and best of all, no expectations. I know this is not the situation for most when they graduate from college, I was pretty lucky and most all of us have major bills to pay. I know it all sounds very bleak at times through this thread but between then (1996 or so) and now, I do believe the situation for wildlife professionals is much better. One big plus is the internet. We used to go to the library and comb through hardcopy newspapers and newsletters and look through the classifieds and send hardcopy applications through the mail! Nowadays, the listings for environmental and wildlife job opportuni

Anne5 in Chicago, Illinois

19 months ago

...opportunities abound on the internet, in real-time too and you find out about more job opportunities more quickly. This may mean more competition, of course. Plus, there is way more awareness of wildlife and environmental issues, so practically every issue has a "green" or sustainable side to it, whether it's politics, business, agriculture, media, news, products, education, etc. Wildlife awareness is much more permeated into our US culture, it's in the news, it's on the internet, it's in our backyards, politics, global and local crime, etc. All this translates to more opportunities to work with wildlife, or at least interact with, wildlife and/or wildlife issues either directly or indirectly. The number of wildlife programs at universities and colleges have also exploded. When I was in school, it was just "natural resources" and if there was any wildlife classes, it was in "game". So yes, the competition is huge, but think of how that is a plus for wildlife conservation in general: more interest, more diverse professionals, more citizen scientists, more awareness. You can now find others who share in your awe of flying squirrels or caddisflies and probably find a conference to go to annually. The ground upon which we build our professional scaffolding shifts constantly, what is woefully underfunded these few years may get a boost in the next five, and then it varies from state to state, agency with agency, taxa to taxa, administration to administration. All I can say is don't lose hope or be discouraged, if it's what you really want to do then do it. And I'll be right there alongside forging my way through as well. Best of luck to all and enjoy yourself!

KSS Careers in Yorktown, Virginia

19 months ago

I am glad I found this forum. I am a recruiter for Kokua Support Services.

I am trying to fill a position at Fort Hunter Liggett, CA. The position is a Range and Training Land Assessment Coordinator that is responsible for management, data collection and assessment of the plants and animals on the ranges used by the Army on the base. I am looking for someone with 3-5 years of experience doing similar field work. KSS is a great company with competitive salary and benefits. Full details are available at www.kokuasupportservices/careers.

biologynerd8 in Tucson, Arizona

18 months ago

MontanaWildlife in Bozeman, Montana said: I have to agree with previous poster. The competitiveness of the wildlife field can not be over stated. I came out of college in a relatively good job market, and it took me 6 years to land a permanent job. The situation has gotten much worse with the recession.... Unfortunately, most wildlife programs give students zero education on what it's going to be like to find a job in the real world.

Yes. The competitiveness is insane. I graduated with my BS at about the same time as you. I had no problem getting technician jobs right out of school. Held seasonal jobs for years. Graduated with my MS in Wildlife in...December 2008, right as the recession killed all the jobs. Today, I am unemployed. I am not picky or unwilling to work entry level jobs. I, too, get interviews. I volunteer. I network. But...no jobs. I would be better off if I could realistically relocate. But I have a husband who has a good job with benefits here.

So I would caution anybody looking to go into Wildlife as a career to realize that education, job experience, hard work, and rave work reviews will not guarantee you a job. And every job you apply for will have dozens of other applicants with your same qualifications. When I talked to advisers and biologists as a student, they said it would be difficult to get a real job but if you put in your hard work, it would happen. I don't know if that's true anymore. Though I love what I do, I think I would have majored in something else if I could do it all over. It's not like you can't volunteer with projects, professors, NGOs, hike, or camp even though you work in a non-related field.

Gone_Fishin in Des Moines, Iowa

9 months ago

biologynerd8 in Tucson, Arizona said:

So I would caution anybody looking to go into Wildlife as a career to realize that education, job experience, hard work, and rave work reviews will not guarantee you a job. And every job you apply for will have dozens of other applicants with your same qualifications. When I talked to advisers and biologists as a student, they said it would be difficult to get a real job but if you put in your hard work, it would happen. I don't know if that's true anymore. Though I love what I do, I think I would have majored in something else if I could do it all over. It's not like you can't volunteer with projects, professors, NGOs, hike, or camp even though you work in a non-related field.

My experience is similar. Got my Masters in wildlife biology in 2008, was told at the time by many people employed in wildlife biology it was a good time to get into this field as many people were retiring....then the economy tanked. There are so few positions and with so many well-qualified people competing for jobs in this field it is very difficult to obtain a interview, let alone an offer.

I am currently going back to school, I just hope this time the gamble pays off.

Joe in Memphis, Tennessee

3 months ago

Biologist = Scientist....you have to think like a scientist to get hired as one and a Masters degree is the first step. More laborous jobs not requiring a Masters degree are available but you are still working next to the entry level biologists. The wildlife field is tough in that it takes blood sweat tears and grime to get established. You have to move, live off of pbj, live in campers surrounded by barbed wire fences; and depend on the very people you are competing against to maintain your sanity. They dont teach this in school and no one slams your passion till the work is completed. This field is tough, country boy tough, you need to understand its importance if you hope to become successful. Since when did scientists make that much money? Its not as much about wildlife as it is the search for truth and answers to the natural world...one every single living person should spend time doing.

Colleen Leyrer in Houston, Texas

3 months ago

This forum has gotten me so down. I finally decided to go to college (graduated in class of '00) and thought i finally had it nailed down what I wanted to do. Now, i did read about how it can be hard to get a job, especially if you don't have any experience, so volunteering was a must. But I didn't know that you couldn't use the degree in anything else. Is a masters in wildlife/forestry conservation not transferable to teaching?

3 months ago

If you are talking about teaching wildlife or conservation at a college level, the answer is no. You would most certainly need a PhD for that. Otherwise, a wildlife degree is not going to be particularly useful if you want to teach.

David in Washington, District of Columbia

2 months ago

I am very glad to have found this forum; it is an eye-opener.

I am 46 and I am looking to switch careers into Environmental Science/Wildlife Biology. I have a B.S. in Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics from UCLA. For the past ten years I have been teaching Middle School science in inner city schools and developing STEM curriculum for my school district. However, I wanted a change and after spending ten years with 11-12 year old children, it would be nice to work with adults.

My plan is to complete a M.S in Environmental Science and Policy with a concentration in Environmental Sustainability and a Graduate Certificate in Fish and Wildlife Management. This combination of classes plus my prior B.S. courses would allow me to certify as a Associate Wildlife Biologist with the TWS.

My primary goal is get a Federal government job. My wife works for the State Department and we are currently overseas. There is a Executive Order program for spouses of Foriegn Service Officers that allow us to gain Non-Competitive Eligibilty in any civil service employment after working 365 days in a oversea federal posting. I am hoping that this program coupled with my military preferences will give me a boost in the Federal job market.

I want to work in an interesting field. Wildlife Biologt sounds fascinating but I am equally interested in Environmental Protection work or Environmental Policy.

I read on the forum that there is a bias for career-switchers and that is dicouraging. My question for the experts out there is what do you recommend? What more can I do make myself more competitive in the job market? What field should I be leaning towards? I selected my Masters Program in Environmental Science and Policy with a Graduate Certificate in Fish and Wildlife Management to cast a wide net so I am eligible for many career opportunities. Is this viable? Should I be looking at a different program?

I would appreciate any assistance.

2 months ago

I am very glad to have found this forum; it is an eye-opener.

I am 46 and I am looking to switch careers into Environmental Science/Wildlife Biology. I have a B.S. in Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics from UCLA. For the past ten years I have been teaching Middle School science in inner city schools and developing STEM curriculum for my school district. However, I wanted a change and after spending ten years with 11-12 year old children, it would be nice to work with adults.

My plan is to complete a M.S in Environmental Science and Policy with a concentration in Environmental Sustainability and a Graduate Certificate in Fish and Wildlife Management. This combination of classes plus my prior B.S. courses would allow me to certify as a Associate Wildlife Biologist with the TWS.

My primary goal is get a Federal government job. My wife works for the State Department and we are currently overseas. There is a Executive Order program for spouses of Foriegn Service Officers that allow us to gain Non-Competitive Eligibilty in any civil service employment after working 365 days in a oversea federal posting. I am hoping that this program coupled with my military preferences will give me a boost in the Federal job market.

I want to work in an interesting field. Wildlife Biologt sounds fascinating but I am equally interested in Environmental Protection work or Environmental Policy.

I read on the forum that there is a bias for career-switchers and that is dicouraging. My question for the experts out there is what do you recommend? What more can I do make myself more competitive in the job market? What field should I be leaning towards? I selected my Masters Program in Environmental Science and Policy with a Graduate Certificate in Fish and Wildlife Management to cast a wide net so I am eligible for many career opportunities. Is this viable? Should I be looking at a different program?

I would appreciate any assistance.

2 months ago

Hi David,
Lets get the bad news out of the way first, then get to more positive stuff. First, the sort of alarming trend for those of us in Federal employment is that biologist positions have been deemed "non-essential", and hiring has almost completely stopped. What is most worrisome is that many previously permanent, full time wildlife biologist positions are being reclassified as term jobs. Overall, I would say the job market for biologists in the federal government right now is poor. I know there are a lot of people already in the ranks who are looking to move, and there are almost no opportunities at the moment. Not sure how that trend will play out going forward. Second, I'm a little skeptical that the suite of education/experience you describe is going to make you very competitive for a wildlife biologist position per se. The current applicant pool is just too stacked with folks who have years in the game already, PhDs, Masters etc. Also the term "certificate" isn't generally satisfactory to many hiring officials when you're talking about biologist positions. Implies someone looked for an easier way out than completing research and defending a Master's thesis. Unfair maybe, but reality and something you should be aware of.
Ok, enough doom and gloom. The interests and education you describe above do sound like perhaps Environmental Protection might be a good fit. We see more and more issues with things like ag runoff, energy development, air quality, etc. For instance, EPA just opened a new office in North Dakota to deal with the drastic increase in complaints due to oil production in the Bakken, but they don't yet have the people to staff it. I think things like this will continue for the foreseeable future, and that might be the direction to go for both job availability and satisfaction. That, or helping guide policy for more effective provisions in things like Farm Bills or the like.

2 months ago

I appreciate your candor, Montana. After reading this thread, I am rethinking my whole education plan. When I look at USAJobs, there are quite a few Wildlife Biologist jobs. I would not have guessed that the job market is poor.

I am very interested in Environmental Policy but I do not know how to make myself competitive. I have done a good amount of internet research and I like the subject matter. I would like a field where I feel I am making a difference on a broad scale. However, unlike Wildlife Biology, there is no certification program like TWS and no "road map" to ensure I am not spending thousands of dollars needlessly on education that doesn't lead to employment. Does anyone know a good strategy for a career switcher to move into the environmental protection field?

I am overseas and have two years to take any online courses needed to create a new career. I thought I had a good game plan but now I feel a bit lost. Any advice?

MontanaWildlife in Montana

2 months ago

I tend to think of wildlife jobs as being in one of the traditional "wildlife" agencies (BLM, USFWS,USGS, etc) and so my understanding of the current hiring limbo is from that perspective. Some of the other potential places that have biologist jobs would be like EPA, ACOE, APHIS...biologist positions in these would tend to be geared more towards environmental or human dimensions issues (either enviro/regulatory or nuisance/damage/disease) and less of the traditional "management" that most people think of (game species, etc) and perhaps those would be more closely suited to your interests? I don't have experience myself in enviro protection, but I have heard from some folks who do that it is very rewarding work. If I were in your shoes, I would start by researching the various agencies - very different missions will impact what the job will entail. Next, I would find qualifications for various positions at agencies that interest you (quals vary even for the same job title between different agencies). That will hopefully give you a roadmap of what coursework you will need. Specifically you need to know how many credits in what subjects are necessary - it can be very specific and will likely be a big factor in selecting a suitable course of study. In all honesty, having non-competitive status may not help as much as you'd think. You still have to be rated as "qualified" for the position (not to imply you think otherwise, but not everyone reading these posts understand how non-competitive status works) and usually the selecting official still has to agree to the appointment. The problem I think you will run into is that the basic qualifications of wildlife biology aren't generally met with a BS in another biology discipline, so you might find a lot of academic "backtracking" necessary to become qualified vs. Enviro specialist or another job series. Something to investigate...

Muttsky in Dayton, Ohio

1 month ago

This has been a really useful thread.

I'm still sort of stuck, though. I'm doing my best to get info anywhere I can, so I figured I'd post here as well.

At the heart of it, I suppose, my problem is trying to figure out some specific job titles or careers that can be an ultimate goal for me. I don't know for SURE what exactly I want, so I no longer know how to get there.

At this point, I have a B.S, and I'm working on my Master's. My coursework up til now has me well covered for basic FWS requirements, though I'm missing about one class-worth of policy and of management credits for certification through The Wildlife Society.

The problem is I don't know what to do next. I'm fairly sure I don't want to stay in academia as a career, but I'm really limited around here as far as finding out what agency work is actually like. The replies here seem to suggest that it's a ton of desk work and data analysis, which... frankly also sounds pretty unappealing. I know that I want to remain involved in actual research and/or management, but beyond that, it's just really hard to know what kind of work I want to be doing on a daily basis. And it's hard to get a picture of what the available careers are like on a daily basis.

I'll be attending a conference in October that has a lot of non-academic folks as well as a career-information panel one of the days. I'm hoping that will be helpful for networking and finding something that sounds like a great career for me. But in the meantime I'm panicking a little and it's getting to be time to start applying to PhD programs if that's the next step.

Problem being, of course, I don't know whether that's the best next step. I am afraid that I may prefer higher-level biologist jobs for which a PhD will be preferred or even necessary. But I'm getting some VERY mixed information about whether it's a good, bad, or neutral idea to work on a PhD right out of your Master's.

Muttsky in Dayton, Ohio

1 month ago

(continued)

So, I guess I'm asking for advice. Any advice would be really appreciated, but these things in particular would probably help:
- Advice on figuring out exactly what career you want (I'm leaning agency vs academia, but how do I narrow it down more than that when I have really limited opportunities to speak and meet with people within these systems?)
- Advice regarding PhDs and wildlife careers - will going for a PhD now if a good opportunity presents itself only hurt me? How do the sorts of jobs people with PhDs have differ from those without?
- Advice for if I decide to try to get my foot in the door somewhere. I'm in a very long-term relationship, so while traveling for tech jobs and things isn't outside the realm of possibility, it's not a lifestyle I think I could maintain for super long.

Thanks in advance. It's pretty scary; I've been pretty competitive academically up to this point, but the sudden realization that continuing the academic career might not be preferable for me has left me full of fears and doubts. It's kind of terrifying to suddenly be faced with huge choices and absurd competition no matter what I decide.

1 month ago

Hello muttsky. Sounds like you are in a bit of a pickle. Hopefully being able to work through in discussion will help you sort it out. First, the question of whether to pursue a PhD right away is sort of putting the cart before the horse. For many jobs it isn't necessary, and we wildlife folk aren't generally raking in the dough so it might actually be a very poor move financially. If you want to be a biologist or manager for an agency, a PhD probably isn't necessary. These would be the jobs that are most likely to include at least some outside work some of the time. If you are more interested in doing research a PhD would probably behoove you. But keep in mind that"research" and "fieldwork" are not necessarily the same thing. Ironically enough most research gets done in academia so you might want to rethink that stance. As far as knowing what different "titles" do on a daily basis, that depends on so many things. It depends on the agency, regional and agency culture and priorities and lots of other things. There is no standard answer. Experience in the real wildlife world is the key to figuring that out. Yes, you need to get experience to build your skill set, but it is also in those entry level jobs where you learn about the variety of jobs that are out there and what they entail. I would get a better idea of the possibilities before I jumped into a PhD.

Muttsky in Dayton, Ohio

1 month ago

Thank you so much for the response.

I will post again if I can think of more specific or relevant questions.

It's nerve-wracking to try to figure out what I should be looking for next, if not a PhD program. Up til this point it's been a pretty straight shot through academic levels. So I'm kind of changing track and am worried it will be difficult to really find work and get experience. Figuring out the direction I want to go is so tricky, and the intense competition of pretty much any position is daunting.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Muttsky in Dayton, Ohio

1 month ago

Well, it looks like I have one formal offer of a PhD position, and another position that seems fairly likely to be an option.

These are likely nice positions doing research I would probably at least mostly enjoy.

But it's a huge commitment to make if it is totally unnecessary for agency work or might even hurt my chances in the long term.

I guess the questions that occur to me are these: can I get the same sorts of jobs with a PhD as I can with a Master's? What will ultimately be the difference? Is it really going to be a detriment, or can I use the extra years in academia to build my skill set in things like GIS as well as network?

I don't want to lock myself into being "overqualified" and overlooked for biologist-type positions that I'd really enjoy, and only considered for higher, management types of positions that I might not prefer. But if the PhD might ultimately help give me some more years of experience and make me more competitive, might it be a good move?

1 month ago

I think the rub is that for a general biologist position, the master's with a wider breadth of experience would be preferable to a PhD. (As always, I'm generalizing here). If you are interested in being a manager of some sort, a PhD will not help in most cases. You need to be getting experience with the gamesmanship and politics that go into making the big decisions, which really have very little to do with biology unfortunately. If your interest is with something more specialized (you want to be a habitat modeler or something), the PhD will probably pay off. The more specialized you are, the more of a niche market you are trying to get into, if that makes sense. Do you want to work all day every day on that one thing? That is sort of what the PhD sets you up for. If you want more variety, you might consider diving into the workforce. In general in the agency I work for things go like this: managers have bachelor's. Biologists have master's. Researchers have PhDs. I think this is fairly standard for the feds. There are lots of managers, a moderate number of biologists and a few researchers. Maybe that helps you weigh your options?

Muttsky in Dayton, Ohio

1 month ago

Wow, thank you so much for the response.

I guess what I need to try to figure out now (in a painfully short time), is whether, if I want to shoot for agency work, I want to do more of the general biologist work or specialized researcher stuff. I know it varies a lot by agency and by regions, but I'd love to hear more about what these jobs are like in yours, how they differ.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.