I would like to become a wildlife biologist & I am looking for a good school.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Amanda in Kingwood, Texas

93 months ago

I am a Junior in highschool, but I would like to recieve information on college early. I am looking for a good college or technical school on wildlife biology. I would love to go out of state so anywhere in the united states would intrest me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wildlifeguy in Mt. Washington, Kentucky

90 months ago

Amanda,

There are schools with wildlife programs in most states, so it is really a matter of where you want to live for 4 years. As the above poster mentioned, as far as getting a job, the school that you attended doesn't matter nearly as much as how you did and what experience you gained while you were there. I do know that Texas A&M has an excellent wildlife program - not sure how far away that is from you. Here in Kentucky, we have two colleges with wildlife programs - Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond and Murray State University in Murray. I personally went to Murray State and loved it there. It is a relatively small school, with small classes, so you can get lots of individual attention, and it is in a beautiful area with lots of outdoor opportunities. Hope that helps you out.

Brian

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wildlifeguy in Mt. Washington, Kentucky

90 months ago

One more thing. Whatever school you choose, make sure it follows the curriculum required to get your Wildlife Biologist certification from The Wildlife Society, as many jobs are starting to require this certification (or at least prefer someone with it).

Brian

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brad in Wailuku, Hawaii

83 months ago

I am a Junior in high school and I'm wondering if you know of any colleges here in Hawaii that offers wildlife biology?

Steve Emerson in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

Brad in Wailuku, Hawaii said: I am a Junior in high school and I'm wondering if you know of any colleges here in Hawaii that offers wildlife biology?

Pretty sure U of H has a program. What you need to concentrate on is what biotic-community you would like to work in. Marine biologist? Terrestrial biologist? The hottest and most lucrative path currently is in the desert (alternative energy). Good luck, stay focused, and remember that slow and steady wins the race. (Even rainbows end)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.