zoology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

rbwno1 in Auburndale, Florida

76 months ago

marie in Burlington, Ontario said: Hi, I am a grade ten student doing a report on my career choice. I have to include an interview with someone already working in this field- zoologist. If anyone could help me with this, perhaps giving me some information on someone i can interview, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a wide background in various fields. What questions do you have to ask?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Richmond Hill, Ontario

76 months ago

rbwno1 in Auburndale, Florida said: I have a wide background in various fields. What questions do you have to ask?

Hi,

I'm a grade 8 student and very interested in animals and conservation. I know I didn't start this thread, but if you could answer my questions that would be great. I suspect that marie has found her answers somewhere else by now.

1. What type of education did you get to become a zoologist? What would you recommend me to get? Is there any particular school or course you would recommend?

2. What is the most challenging thing about being a zoologist? This can be the thing you dislike most or the thing that you find really hard to do. Basically, what do you wish wasn't part of your job?

3. what is the organization/ company you work for?

4. What is the best thing about being a zoologist? What to you value most about your work?

5. I don't know if have anything to do with hiring new people, but imagining you did, what would you look for in your employees? Basically, what skills, characteristics, are important for someone in this field?

6. What do you think this type of work will look like when I'm out of school (10 - 15 years from now). Do you think the need for zoologist will of increased or decreased?

7. What does your average day consist of? Do you do more field work or paper work? Do you work a lot with people educating them and stuff like that?

8. What is your salary? How does your salary compare with others working in this field?

Reply - Report abuse

rbwno1 in Auburndale, Florida

76 months ago

I am actually an ecologist (broader field). But for a zoologist you would need to take classes similar to a wildlife biologist- herpetology, ornithology, ichthyology, mammology, ethology, population dynamics, ecology, comparative anatomy and physiology and genetics. Of course you would also want to take some basic plant classes. I don’t know of any undergrad zoology degrees so you really don’t specialize until the graduate level. So wildlife biology as an undergrad then zooogy at the masters or PHD level.

You do have to start at the bottom and clean up and feed captive animals. Of course having to deal with human animal interactions and the fact that people kill animals, not always for the best reasons, yet you need to work with people to truly protect some animals and their habitat.
I work for an Environmental Consulting agency- Tetra Tech.

Working with and studying wild animals would be the highlight if you like this then there is no downside.

Just helped with hiring someone new. Employers are looking for an independent thinker who is self directed. Education is important but experience even more important.

I am mostly in the field doing a wide variety of things from water sampling, soil sampling, protected species surveys, animal relocations, environmental resource permitting assistance, environmental site assessments, wetland monitoring. Paper work consists of writing reports when a project is completed. I have worked as a Naturalist educating people. It is fun to spread awareness as people are often unaware about certain animal behaviors.

I make about 37,000 a year. The average ecologist makes about 39,000 but you must take into consideration the state you are in.

Reply - Report abuse

bb007 in Seattle, Washington

74 months ago

Hi Rebecca,

You might have gotten all you need to know from rbwno1's thorough answer, but in case you're still looking for info on careers in zoology, there's a bunch of great stuff at this site:

www.insidejobs.com/articles/zoology-careers

Hope it helps!

Reply - Report abuse

Colin in Rocky River, Ohio

30 months ago

Hi!

I am a 6th grade student and I am working on a project for school. I need to interview a zoologist. If anybody is willing to help me, please answer the following questions:

1. What kind of education do you need to become a zoologist?

2. What kinds of job opportunities are available for people who earn a degree in zoology or a related field in college? How difficult is it to get a job in zoology or a related field after college?

3. What can a zoologist expect to earn upon graduation from college in a related field of work? What about in the future?

4. What can a zoologist expect to do on a daily basis? What is a zoologist's work environment like?

5. What is the most challenging thing about being a zoologist? What do you dislike about being a zoologist?

6. What is the best thing about being a zoologist?

7. What will the opportunities in zoology or a related field look like in about 10 years?

7. What else can you tell me about being a zoologist that I haven't asked?

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.