Give it to me straight up

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 155)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

barbara

36 months ago

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska said: barbara, how many students from a given class do you hire? How big are those classes? Are you hiring for full time, part time, or PRN?

DRONES~Per Diem is the most common position that opens here. Students are usually hired per diem. When a permanent position becomes available, they are posted internally first, allowing perdiems to transfer to the newly opened position. Very common practice for large hospital systems and why you will rarely see a PT or FT position advertised. On average, I get 2-4 per diem slots that open up annually. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jiggish in St paul, Minnesota

36 months ago

I have been also looking for work for over a year now and can't even find per diem job in Nuclear Medicine, even here in Minnesota where the economy is much better. Are there any Masters degree program related to Radiology or other related field that would be valuable besides Masters in Radiologic Science which is a complete waste of time and money and can't get you anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

barbara

36 months ago

behavioral Health. This puts you in line for management/administration or teaching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

barbara

36 months ago

jiggish in St paul, Minnesota said: I have been also looking for work for over a year now and can't even find per diem job in Nuclear Medicine, even here in Minnesota where the economy is much better. Are there any Masters degree program related to Radiology or other related field that would be valuable besides Masters in Radiologic Science which is a complete waste of time and money and can't get you anywhere.

May I suggest Behavioral Health. It puts you in line for management/administration or teaching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

john99 in Mount Royal, New Jersey

36 months ago

Behavioral Health or HealthCare Management or MBA degree is totally useless. You will not be able to find a job with these degrees because you need years of experience as a supervisor to get into management. Best route would be to get a Masters degree in Health Informatics or Management Information Systems and then you can get a good job in Imaging Informatics in your department.

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

36 months ago

barbara said: DRONES~Per Diem is the most common position that opens here. Students are usually hired per diem. When a permanent position becomes available, they are posted internally first, allowing perdiems to transfer to the newly opened position. Very common practice for large hospital systems and why you will rarely see a PT or FT position advertised. On average, I get 2-4 per diem slots that open up annually. Hope this helps.

barbara, how big are the class sizes from which you hire? How many total applicants do you have per posted position, both internally and externally? How often does a full tim position open up? How many hours per week, approximately, does the average per diem work? Thanks for answering my questions.

john in Mount Royal, New Jersey

36 months ago

Does anyone have a Masters degree in health Informatics or Know how the job market is for Informatics and salary Information? I am leaning towards this area after finding nothing in Nuclear Medicine and would like some insight before going ahead for the Master program.

mattiemjk in Yorkville, Illinois

36 months ago

Bottom line all of Radiology is saturated (right now). The fact is Hospitals and Medical Centers love the current job market. There is an endless supply of Radiology workers being produced in mass quantity that are willing to do ANYTHING for a job and work a low wage. Healthcare likes to hire cheap labor, Per Diem, PRN, etc.. The schools MUST downsize their program volumes to create a new demand for Radiology Professionals. Until then the job market will remain tight and the Hospitals will have the ability to pick and choose whom ever they want for positions. Advanced degrees in healthcare modalities may not help job prospects if there is a low demand, positive or negative it's just a fact.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mattiemjk in Chicago, Illinois

35 months ago

lil red in Gulfport, Mississippi said: There are plenty of Job openings in Florida for X-ray techs

Note, stay away from Florida job prospects are non existent here. There are 52 Radiography Schools graduating hundreds of techs and most of them cant even find a PRN position. True here in Florida there are tons of hospitals and medical clinics with more retired people than anywhere else but (right now) there is no demand for Radiology Techs. Hope change is on the horizon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

masterblaster in Avon, Colorado

34 months ago

Tammy in Fall River, Massachusetts said: ]

Are there shortages in alll of the modalities or just rad tech? .. i am interested in both rad tech and nursing and have applied to both. I was sure rad tech was the job for me because i am interested in the ever changing technology aspect of it and the idea of doing advanced modalities like MRI are very intriguing. However, I fear that I may get bored with radiology after having shadowed I realized that there is a lot of down time which in some aspects is good yet I dont want to get sick of waiting for the next patient to take a quick xray and then they leave and here i am back at square one. With nursing it may be tougher but in the same 2 yrs you get an associates in nursing and have a lot more opportunities such as working in pediatrics, being a school nurse, hospital care, nursing homes etc ...its seems to be the more rewarding because u develop a close relationship with patients which of course can be hard to deal with if the patient does not pull through .. my question is can u help me think of some pros and cons for each and give me your opinion as to which you would choose if given the opportunity to do both. I realize its ultimately my call but it does not hurt to get another educated persons perspective. thank you all!

there are No shortages period been in the field 9 years never seen it this bad.

Motheroftwins in Ann Arbor, Michigan

33 months ago

How much math do you use in your everyday work as an x-ray tech. I am not good in math but would like to do radiography course.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriel in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

Im living in Houston, Texas and im taking my basics to enter the radiography tech. program. They say they paid near 15 and hr to 20 something. But im not really sure about this career. Is there a high demand in this field here? Is this a good program or im just wasting my time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Gabriel in Houston you are wasting your time. The field is flooded.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hopeful in Greeley, Colorado

31 months ago

My friend graduated as a RN. It took her a year to find an entry level job. There are lots of jobs for experienced RN's, but not for entry level. Try to keep your chin up and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Smart tech in Auburn, California

30 months ago

Seems like it depends what state you live in and what hospital you do your internship at. I am a x-ray tech, ct tech, mammography and radiation therapist. I make over $100,000/yr as ct/mammography tech without overtime. The field is flooded, but X-ray fluctuates, this is a rough economy right now. If X-ray is your calling, do it chances are if you enjoy what you do you will work that much harder to advance in your field, you can go so many directions in radiology, X-ray is just the starting point, your stepping stone.
I originally went for extra schooling to become a radiation therapist, but because the field is so small I eventually cross trained in mammography and ct.
Bottom line is you have to have a calling for the healthcare field AND a respect for the field of radiology (unlike some of these people posting) otherwise you will find yourself unhappy and jobless. Work hard show lots of respect and you will be good. I would start scoping out local hospitals and start making contacts if the field is really flooded in your area right now. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

James in Minneapolis, Minnesota

30 months ago

One thing I haven't seen in the previous postings is how HR and your personality factors into all of this. Remember, skill proficiency and a good resume will only get you an interview at best. Culture, meaning the social nature of the department staff, determines who gets a job or not. I have 20 years of customer service experience, I'm a ARRT registerd tech, 3.9 GPA, winner of scholarships and multiple radiology related awards and it all means nothing...NOTHING folks! If you are perceived as too smart, you won't be hired because Rad managers might consider you a threat to the culture of the department. If you're over 40, you will not be hired. Hospitals absolutly RETAIN employees over 40, they don't HIRE new rad techs over 40. If you're a MAN over 40, find another career field or transfer your education credits to Lab Tech or Pharmacy Tech or get into health information. Unfair, but true. The rad tech jobs go to the young women who schmooze the best and don't make anyone feel threatened and they generally only accept younger (20's) men in the department. This is the way it is all over the country for x-ray. The market is saturated, schools are cranking out thousands of techs all over the country and the median age of x-ray workers is 32, so no one is retiring any time soon. Find another career field!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

30 months ago

Smart tech, I call BS on you making $100K/yr. No way no how do you make the much.

I like how people act as if being a Diagnostic Tech is a stepping stone. Diagnostic is th ROCK on which radiology is built. If you want to go into any of those other modalities it is going to cost you a lot more. Anymore it is hard to get into CT/MRI without going through formal training. Cross training is going the way of the dodo bird. Why would an employer cross train when they can hire a fully trained tech. Want to go into US, a year of full time school. Want to go Nuc Med, a year of full time school. Want to Rad Therapy, a year of full time school. Guess what, these programs are all 8hrs a day where you can only work part time all the while accumulating more student loans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

James, What's happening is that hospitals and clinical sites are hiring their own students.

Smart Tech in Auburn, California

30 months ago

It's unfortunate that you don't know of hospitals that don't cross train. It actually is a benefit to my management because they are aware of the type of employee they are bringing into their department. I apologize if any one is offended by xray is a stepping stone comment, it was for me.
As far as the BS remark on my income, California is a comlpleyely different state than Nebraska. I work for a major hospital who contracts w a union who pays their employees including techs significantly higher than their competitors, oh I forgot to mention free benefits, our EVS (janitors) workers make around $20-25/Hr, maybe that is what you are making in Nebraska??
Formal training is not needed for cat scan, most xray programs offer an anatomical cross sectional course where you learn the basics, our facility will give you more PAID training if necessary. MRI is a different story, elected techs and I agree that it is rare, are cross trained and go through a small program training that is employer paid, most hospitals need more CT techs than MRI.
Cross training in your field is highly dependent upon the organization you work for. Most people need to hire within a company first where that modality is in demand, that is how you become a ct/MRI tech, you can't just acquire the training on your own. Nuc Med, Ultrasound and Radiation Therapy are all about a year extra of a full time program. Some colleges and private programs offer a fast track evening course for x-ray, like my organization's school. I hope this helped explain more. Remember though that every region/state and organization is different, that is why it's important to make contacts and learn more about the facilities in yoyr area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mattiemjk in Marco, Florida

30 months ago

@James,

Interesting point,

Yeah, some(not all) of these Radiology Departments can be quite the challenge for men. Many of the older female techs can be quite stubborn and forthright, they may not want a "man" interupting "their business",, and if you do get hired watch your back (for the knife).

Been in the biz for awhile, and have seen all kinds of nonsense. In regards to the hiring and "culture" you're talking about, basically it goes like this, if you're a young very attractive female..forget-it.. the chances of getting hired are slim, the other women techs will probably be way too jealous and bitter to allow you in their circle.
Disagree with what you said about guy techs over 40 though,,I know quite a few male techs in their mid 40s and 50s that got hired fresh out of school back when I did, and they do quite well... probably because they're considered less of a "threat" than the younger guys.

My advice, apply to the smaller departments/clinics and avoid some of these social games.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Smart Tech, thanks for you comments. I have to admit that it's difficult to debate salary as there is no way to disprove when someone claims they make $X amount of dollars. From my personal experience a lot of the statistics seem a bit inflated. California is in the 90% range for tech salaries, but of course that is offset by the cost of living and higher taxes as compared to Nebraska. The reason my employer doesn't cross train anymore is because we have a CT/MRI program at our hospital. Their philosphy is why pay to train when they will pay us to go to our school and we don't have to eat the cost incurred from cross training, which takes at least 3 months. Despite the fact that Nebraska has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation there are still techs lined up around the corner looking for jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RAOL in Bronx, New York

28 months ago

What is the job out in nyc?

RAOL in Bronx, New York

28 months ago

what is the job out look in nyc?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Buck in Phoenix, Arizona

27 months ago

mattiemjk in Marco, Florida said:

Been in the biz for awhile, and have seen all kinds of nonsense. In regards to the hiring and "culture" you're talking about, basically it goes like this, if you're a young very attractive female..forget-it.. the chances of getting hired are slim, the other women techs will probably be way too jealous and bitter to allow you in their circle.
QUOTE]

Assinine comments like that make me wonder if any of you actually do work, or are just disgruntled trolls lurking on message boards. If you honestly believe that anyone would not be hired because they're attractive, as though the hiring manager gives two craps about what anyone working in the department thinks about a candidate's appearance, then you are a complete and utter fool.

Alice105 in New York, New York

27 months ago

Hi, I was really, really interested in becoming a tech, is it hard to find a job in the NYC area, it seems it's been discussed to death on these forums about there being no jobs, and is the schooling hard?

Nicole

27 months ago

Personally x ray school was not that hard, challenging but not impossible. Study hard and u should be fine. I just graduated this year and yes im very worried about jobs. I graduated from a class of 12, 5 of us got full time jobs, and 4 have prn. The remainer are still looking. I applied for a job through ihs, indian health services, and i am hopeful i can get the job. If i do its only cause the job is given to native american preference and lucky me im navajo. I think the job outlook depends on area u want employment. Where i live we have only one x ray school that graduates only 4 students a year and they all land jobs no problem. If this is what u really want for a career go for it. Good luck

27 months ago

Nicole said: Personally x ray school was not that hard, challenging but not impossible. Study hard and u should be fine. I just graduated this year and yes im very worried about jobs. I graduated from a class of 12, 5 of us got full time jobs, and 4 have prn. The remainer are still looking. I applied for a job through ihs, indian health services, and i am hopeful i can get the job. If i do its only cause the job is given to native american preference and lucky me im navajo. I think the job outlook depends on area u want employment. Where i live we have only one x ray school that graduates only 4 students a year and they all land jobs no problem. If this is what u really want for a career go for it. Good luck

Thanks, I live in NYC but might migrate over to Pennsylvania, the job boards up here are limited as well, I was thinking of going back into ultra sound since that was my first choice anyway, thanks!^__^

27 months ago

"You take what you can find, and give it all you have. Good luck and do not give up."
Sad, but very true. Most current grads will likely end up working at a place, or working hours they despise with a very crappy salary and poor benefits package. Employers have you over barrel so you have to take what they are willing to give you. A job is a job.

27 months ago

Nicole is correct. X-ray school is fairly easy. You'll have to learn a bunch of subjects that won't ever be needed on the job, at least not in the current digital environment. Anymore the equipment does the majority of the work. The only things you really need for this job is a knowledge of anatomy and how to position.

Nicole

27 months ago

Actually ihs pays well. If i get the job starting pay is 23.50 and u can work up to 29.50. Its an area out in the middle or no where but i will take it. Raised on the reservation myself it wont be much of a change lol. It will be an hrs drive everyday which sucks but lots of people drive further than that here to work at shiprock. Jobs here but must work in a place that u will possibly feel out of place and in the middle of no where.

lexy in Lake Mary, Florida

26 months ago

To whom it may concern, XRAY FIELD IS FLOODED BIG TIME i just got out of school and can not find a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lexy in Lake Mary, Florida

26 months ago

Gabriel in Houston, Texas said: Im living in Houston, Texas and im taking my basics to enter the radiography tech. program. They say they paid near 15 and hr to 20 something. But im not really sure about this career. Is there a high demand in this field here? Is this a good program or im just wasting my time.

the field is super flooded , i would choose something else ...maybe respiratory or ultrasound

Nicole

26 months ago

I dont know how it works in different states but in the hospitals i did my clinical rotation most of the ct, mri, and ultrasound techs did x ray first. But its not all hopeless i just graduated in april of this year and got a job offer last week. I start in july and most of my class have jobs as well. Theres still a little hope, but i agree jobs are hard to find in x ray. Pta i hear is needed in florida.

caligirl in Richmond, California

26 months ago

Nicole said: Personally x ray school was not that hard, challenging but not impossible. Study hard and u should be fine. I just graduated this year and yes im very worried about jobs. I graduated from a class of 12, 5 of us got full time jobs, and 4 have prn. The remainer are still looking. I applied for a job through ihs, indian health services, and i am hopeful i can get the job. If i do its only cause the job is given to native american preference and lucky me im navajo. I think the job outlook depends on area u want employment. Where i live we have only one x ray school that graduates only 4 students a year and they all land jobs no problem. If this is what u really want for a career go for it. Good luck

hey nicole, i will be starting a radiography program and just wanted to know.............how was the physics part of it for you? i have never really done that well in math, and was just wondering about it. thanks, cali

26 months ago

Smart Tech in Auburn, California said: It's unfortunate that you don't know of hospitals that don't cross train. It actually is a benefit to my management because they are aware of the type of employee they are bringing into their department. I apologize if any one is offended by xray is a stepping stone comment, it was for me.
As far as the BS remark on my income, California is a comlpleyely different state than Nebraska. I work for a major hospital who contracts w a union who pays their employees including techs significantly higher than their competitors, oh I forgot to mention free benefits, our EVS (janitors) workers make around $20-25/ Hr , maybe that is what you are making in Nebraska??
Formal training is not needed for cat scan, most xray programs offer an anatomical cross sectional course where you learn the basics, our facility will give you more PAID training if necessary. MRI is a different story, elected techs and I agree that it is rare, are cross trained and go through a small program training that is employer paid, most hospitals need more CT techs than MRI.
Cross training in your field is highly dependent upon the organization you work for. Most people need to hire within a company first where that modality is in demand, that is how you become a ct/MRI tech, you can't just acquire the training on your own. Nuc Med, Ultrasound and Radiation Therapy are all about a year extra of a full time program. Some colleges and private programs offer a fast track evening course for x-ray, like my organization's school. I hope this helped explain more. Remember though that every region/state and organization is different, that is why it's important to make contacts and learn more about the facilities in yoyr area.

hi smart tech, if you don't mind, what school did you go to for radiography? thanks, cali

Nicole

26 months ago

Hey! Physics wasn't that bad. Im not great at math either but i did fine. Passed with B's. Stuudy and u should be fine. But look at these forums and wonder if you'll be able to work and pay back student loans. The place im working at told me its rough and that i was way lucky cause the man that worked my position before me retired after 40 years. Lol lots of employees moved from ny and california. Most are from california. They say its hard to work in nm but have to stay for work. Just something to think about. I dont want to be negative but its what most rad techs are facing now.

26 months ago

I went to school down in S.California, community college. Kaiser P. has a school in your city, have you looked into that school?

26 months ago

Are any of u from NY, is it hard to find a job as an x-ray tech on the east coast?

26 months ago

hey nicole! thanks soo much for the fast response, and im glad to hear that physics isnt too bad. i swear it would be easier to teach me japanese instead of putting numbers in front of me, lol. i don't think that you're being negative at all, and i appreciate the heads up. btw, i work in a dental office as an r.d.a., so i do have something to fall back on. thanks again, and i will be staying on these forums. they're very informative. :-D

26 months ago

Smart tech in Auburn, California said: I went to school down in S.California, community college. Kaiser P. has a school in your city, have you looked into that school?

hey smart tech! yes, that is the school that i got accepted to :-D. i knew you were talking about the kaiser hospital in your post by the e.v.s.............i always call them qvc (shopping channel) lol. i just thought you had went to the kaiser school also :-D

26 months ago

hey nicole, one more question, so is the x ray physics more or less like elementart, or intermediate algebra? i'm just a little on the scared side because i worked so hard to get in the progrm, and i just don't wanna mess up. thanks again, cali

26 months ago

Alice105 in New York, New York said: Are any of u from NY, is it hard to find a job as an x-ray tech on the east coast?

from what i've been reading, it's hard everywhere :-/

26 months ago

I work for Kaiser, best company to work for, good luck in school, stay positive and motivated, toughest part was getting into the program;)

26 months ago

caligirl in Richmond, California said: from what i've been reading, it's hard everywhere :-/

Sad but true, guess I'll try accounting.

Nicole

26 months ago

caligirl in Richmond, California said: hey nicole, one more question, so is the x ray physics more or less like elementart, or intermediate algebra? i'm just a little on the scared side because i worked so hard to get in the progrm, and i just don't wanna mess up. thanks again, cali

It didnt seem like alot of math. Just inverse square law, heat units, and changes in techniques with grids, pathology, and distances. Its more of alot of memorization on the type of equipment your using, how x rays are made, knowing ur equipment more, and generators. Plus learning the effects of radiation with tissue. I would say its a little like algebra with basic math. If i passed you'll do great! :)

26 months ago

thank you so much, smarttech, and i hope that when i graduate, i stay with kaiser. new facilities in oakland, redwood city, and san leandro should be open by the time i graduate. and you are not lying................it is so hard to get in that school! lol. i will keep you posted smarttech

cali

26 months ago

good luck with that. i was going to go for physical therapy assistant. the classes (pre-req's) are the same for rad techh, and pta, but then i got the call for rad tech, so pta is on the back burner for now.

cali

26 months ago

good luck with that. you know i was going for p.t.a., but then got the call for rad tech, so p.t.a. is on the back burner for now.

cali

26 months ago

ok. thanks nicole :-D school starts monday! ahhhhhh, lol. and we start the physics on thursday. but i will definitely keep you posted, and i appreciate you and smart tech for the advice and speedy responses :-D

cali

26 months ago

Smart tech in Auburn, California said: I work for Kaiser, best company to work for, good luck in school, stay positive and motivated, toughest part was getting into the program;)

i put this on nicoles profile.......i was thanking you too for the advice and speedy response. i will keep you two posted on how things are for me :-D

cali

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.