How can I become an x-ray tech? I already have a bachelor's degree (in Economics)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 72)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Cara in San Francisco, California

83 months ago

Does anyone know how long it would take for me to become an x-ray tech? I'm not interested in going to school for very long. I have a 4-year degree in Econ. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (249) / No (52) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Yuba City, California

83 months ago

I am currently on a waiting list for an x-ray tech program at Yuba College, in Marysville, CA. The wait is estimated to be two years long. Then the actual program is another two years. (Also, all the pre-req. must be completed before applying for the program) So, it would take 4 years at Yuba College's program. I have heard that all of the x-ray tech programs in California have a long waiting list. I know someone who has traveled to the east coast to become an x-ray tech because she didn't want to have to wait to get into a program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Pomona, New York

83 months ago

i thought about this as a career change. i called the local colleges in new york. there is a 3 to 5 yr waiting list and they only have daytime classes. i think when you start taking classes you have to go thru the program from beginning to end without stopping with your classmates that you started with from day one/ it's not like going to college for accounting and picking when you want to take a class or not take a class and finishing up in 6 years. i believe what judy said in yuba city is correct.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Fayetteville, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

Im going to be a senior in high school and i have no idea where to go after it, i was thinking of x ray technician, i work well with computers, and im in chemistry classes. I dont know if i need to take any other classes? maybe some premed classes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

sam thinker in Charlotte, North Carolina

82 months ago

I plan to go to college for x-ray tech. but i haven't found a school in Charlotte that offers the classes. Along with is there any classes out programs for that field that is shorter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Karl in Denton, Texas

82 months ago

Most programs take 2yrs to complete. It helps to have your A&Ps and algebra out of the way before you start. Different programs have different reqs so the fact that you have a degree may or may not help you. Here in N.Texas the programs I know about don't have waiting lists. Its the best candidates available. I'm in my 2nd year now and believe me its a huge committment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

yep in Watertown, New York

80 months ago

i would like to become a x-ray tech. however, there are no training programs where i live now. can i become a medical assistant or lpn before moving to where the radiology program is available??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Hixson, Tennessee

74 months ago

for a limited license its one year, you take a test and pass your state boards, you work in a clinic.

To be a radiological Technologist (x-ray tech) you would need to go to a two year institute, and then take a national regestry, you get three chances to pass, if you fail all three times your bared to take it again, you might as well use that degree as toilet paper, if you want to go past a 2 year degree, then get to a school that goes by semester hours, dont be dumb like me and attend a technical school that goes by quartly hours, and then there not transferable..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

lindsea in Provo, Utah

74 months ago

I was thinking about becoming an x-ray tech, but I have been out of highschool for 6 years and didn't attend any college. I don't know what I need to do to get into school. Do I need to get generals out of the way before I consider it? Or does it matter?
Like i was saying I was thinking about it and have not done any research yet. what should I do to get started?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Lawton, not Elgin in Elgin, Oklahoma

74 months ago

Kind of in the same situation as Lindsea, only I have some college and have been out of high school for four years. I have a 1 yr old son to work around and currently am a single parent b/c my husband just left to Korea 2 days ago. But I REALLY want to do this. Anyone have any ideas on what classes I would need to knock out? What are the pre-reqs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Lawton, not in Elgin, Oklahoma

74 months ago

Sara in Hawley, Minnesota said: Minnesota State Community and Tecnical College has an online RT program. Its very interactive through the internet. You would do your clinical training in your town or near-by towns.

Happen to have a link of some sort?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Butterbird in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

74 months ago

Jennifer, if you are going to a typical community college, you would probably have to take some Gened classes to round out the degree. These include, Speech, Psych, a humanity class, english comp class. Depending on the college, these would probably be part of the curriculum plan already. A&P and medical ethics/law, pharmacology (yah I know, it's a NURSING class), are typical classes that should be taken care of, but again, it all depends on the requirements.

But when you do get on the x-ray tech boat, be prepared to be an unpaid intern, because it is like taking an unpaid job, so it is not recommended that you work long hours. Seeing as you have a kid, it's gonna be hard, because as you progress, the internship can be LIKE a full-time job. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Karl in Denton, Texas

74 months ago

Butterbird is correct. In my program we do 2 20wk clinical rotations 36hrs a wk plus classwork. We also split between day and night shifts. After awhile it becomes a real grind but since you're in Lawton, i think midwestern st. doesnt do night rotations and they do some classes online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer24 in Lawton, Oklahoma

74 months ago

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated! The college here is called Cameron University. Any other tips are appreciated as well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tanisha 22 in Sidney, Ohio

73 months ago

i want to be an ex-ray tech but their arnt any schools for it i can find in ohio):

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

shelley in Minneapolis, Minnesota

73 months ago

Sara in Hawley, Minnesota said: Minnesota State Community and Tecnical College has an online RT program. Its very interactive through the internet. You would do your clinical training in your town or near-by towns.

i have been looking for my daughter and the only thing i found was normandale commutniyt, which tech school did you find and are you going ,if so how do you like it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Yuma, Arizona

72 months ago

I have a friend who is a felon. She can not be a registered nurse because of this conviction. Even if she went to school, passed the national test, they would not license her. She is interested in becoming an x-ray tech. I have looked for information on requirements/
restrictions such as this on the internet, can't find anything. Does someone out there know: Is there a restriction on licensing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

cheila in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

sorry nancy in yuma, your friend will not be allowed into any hospital/healthcare based jobs. i am in x ray school and just like nursing you have to have a clean criminal background as well as no child abuse record. they do checks as soon as you apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Yuma, Arizona

72 months ago

Thank you for your reply, not even the enrollment counselors
at Junior Colleges seem to know that. Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin 28 in Fresno, California

71 months ago

I am applying for the xray tech program at Fresno City College after I complete all my pre-reqs. The number of pre-reqs is crazy. I even have to take 2 semesters of PE, sociology, speech, etc.

Evan in Folsom, California

71 months ago

Judy in Yuba City, California said: I am currently on a waiting list for an x-ray tech program at Yuba College, in Marysville, CA. The wait is estimated to be two years long. Then the actual program is another two years. (Also, all the pre-req. must be completed before applying for the program) So, it would take 4 years at Yuba College's program. I have heard that all of the x-ray tech programs in California have a long waiting list. I know someone who has traveled to the east coast to become an x-ray tech because she didn't want to have to wait to get into a program.

Are you enrolling in the Yuba College program? I am in Folsom and am looking for a program but, don't want to wait years on a list.

Stephen Sartarelli in Tollhouse, California

71 months ago

they need to put more money in the budget to go to build more oolleges.

1296 in Gillingham, United Kingdom

71 months ago

Cara in San Francisco, California said: Does anyone know how long it would take for me to become an x-ray tech? I'm not interested in going to school for very long. I have a 4-year degree in Econ. Thanks!

if i were you i wouldn't bother, the job is crap, the pay ain't that good and the working conditions are very stressful and you deal with all sorts of crap and see all sorts of horrific things! really considr this long term and really spend a week at a hospital checking out the job with staff and ask many many questions before you make your mind up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

katie in Hamlin, West Virginia

68 months ago

yep in Watertown, New York said: i would like to become a x-ray tech. however, there are no training programs where i live now. can i become a medical assistant or lpn before moving to where the radiology program is available??

I would say give it your best shot, give it all you've got, go for it. Even if there is no program where you live, move somewhere else, be what you wanna be, do what u wanna do, dont give up because someone beat you to it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Karl in Denton, Texas

68 months ago

med asst. and lvns dont have the same skill sets as rad techs so unless there's another reason i dont advise either one. a better but not great 2nd choice would be to find a nct-non certified tech program until you make the move to a real program. You can also get rad tech trainning in the military.
hope this helps.
good luck katie!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

X-raysam in Happy Valley, Oregon

66 months ago

The job can be very stressfull, but it is not that horrible. The job market for x-ray technologists is awful right now though. Do nursing of physical therapy they pay better and have jobs.

weskilds in Las Vegas, Nevada

66 months ago

I have to disagree with the person who said that your friend can not do it as I know for fact that it can be done. However that being said it all varies on so many issues and circumstance. Most importantly what type of Felony was it, how many counts, how many years ago, has she said out of trouble every since, so on and so forth. She would have to petition to the state explaining to ask them to allow her to take the state test and get her license, and yes it has been done before!!! The school can not tell her that she can not take the classes due to a past felony. Now she will have to find a hospital where they will listen to her and take everything into account. She should be very open and honest with them from the very start. Supply them proof that she is of no threat, supply letters from people who know her and I do not mean Mom and Dad. This is a hard road to go down but if she wants it she can do it and she can even get her license for RN. It is not a black and white line there are a lot of shades of grey in it. I know as I have traveled down this road. I refuse to let my stupidity at the age of 20 to govern me now at the age of 40. Best of luck to her. Main thing is that she is working hard to live a normal and productive life. Also there are some state where it is unlawful to not allow her to work simply because of a felony if the felony was over I believe it to be 10 years but I would have to look that up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Rochester, Minnesota

65 months ago

Minnesota has one college that provides a bachelor degree in radiography (St. Cloud State University) but from what I have heard its set up very weird. There are other programs available at Century College, Argosy University and Rochester Community and Technical College that offer associate degrees. There are also a few hospital-based programs that offer certificates of completion (which is all you need to take a radiography registry exam) like North Memorial Medical Center and the VA. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

looking in Fresno, California

63 months ago

the profession is great, the two year program is very hard and time consuming.once you graduate it worth it. one thing i am wondering is, you do not see black technologists. i heard recently two of them graduate but do not get job.sounds fishy? so i change my mind to go to this profession as a black woman

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

karl in Denton, Texas

63 months ago

looking in Fresno, California said: the profession is great, the two year program is very hard and time consuming.once you graduate it worth it. one thing i am wondering is, you do not see black technologists. i heard recently two of them graduate but do not get job.sounds fishy? so i change my mind to go to this profession as a black woman

looking, I feel your pain. I passed the registry in feb. and still havent found work. on the other hand I've been around many black technologists and most of my black classmates are working. i'm keeping the faith i think you should too. things may not be as they appear.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer24

63 months ago

That's bs! My best friend in the world is an X-Ray Tech and is black. I have another good friend who is hispanic and she's an x-ray tech as well. I myself am a hispanic female and started taking classes to become an x-ray tech. Race is no issue in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

:) in Fresno, California

63 months ago

Don't read too much into a couple of people not getting jobs. It's a dog-eat-dog world right now in regards to the economy and plenty of people are unemployed.

I saw the same thing happen in the computer industry. Also, Fresno has one of, if not the best 2 year medical programs in the State = Lot's of graduates in the Fresno area = Someone's gotta relocate.

Not every attorney that graduates from Harvard Law stays in Boston. It's a #'s game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmdguy in Portland, Oregon

63 months ago

Hi X-raysam,

I saw your post and I am in Happy Valley too. For the past 15 years I have been a self employed software developer and I am completely burned out and want a change from the self employed lifestyle. Having a job with benefits (such as health care) has been a dream of mine but being self employed insurance costs me almost $2,000/mo. I have a nephew who is an x-ray tech and has being doing that for years and loves it. I have always been interested in that field too and am ready to make the change and since you are local I'd love to talk with you more to learn about the field. Any chance we can meet sometime over a cup of coffee?

Thanks,
Dan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

denise in Salinas, California

60 months ago

i want to become an x-ray technician but i dont know how many years you have to study in order to become 1.can any1 help me out here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan Underhill in Portland, Oregon

60 months ago

Most programs for X-ray tech are 2 years long, full time, not including studies for MRI and/or CT. For most however, there is usually a year of pre-requisites that you have to knock out before you can even apply. If you already have a college degree however it's likely that you have most of the pre-requisites already. The schools for it up here only take applications once a year for the program and so if you missed the enrollment period you would then have to wait until the next year's application period. Typical applications submitted are in the range of 250-350 and only 36 ever get accepted. Your GPA is a big factor, but you also have interviews with HR departments at different hospitals which weigh heavily on whether you get accepted. I've been told directly that many students with 4.0 GPAs are still getting turned down from the program because they didn't "click" well with the hospital interviewers.

Getting accepted into nursing is no better. You're lucky to even get in to these programs and I'm sure law or medical school is probably harder still. Just getting accepted IN to any professional educational program requires a huge amount of work and luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

C.E.L in Montauk, New York

59 months ago

/cracks knuckles/ Okay. So first and foremost i'd like to say that I'm in love with the fact that I'm not the only one who's had such a hard time finding schools and information regarding this field and pre-requisites and graduation time etc...etc...etc...

After much research I have finally found which school I'd like to attend (it's not in New York state). I'm in the process of applying right now (as in, in the middle of writing my admissions essay) and if I could offer any advice it would be to a) be willing to potentially go out of state b) have determination and perseverance

It took me several months before I found the school to which I'm applying. Currently, within the next few months I will have all of the pre-requisites I need to apply (with this program you are allowed to apply while still taking the pre-reqs)

What I found fascinating is that no two schools have the same requirements. Let me repeat that, as I wish someone would have told me that. NO two schools have the same requirements to apply/ enroll/ attend etc...

Therefore, depending on your specific situation it is IMPERATIVE (if you'd like to get this degree/ certification sooner than later, at least) that you find a school that fits you and your existing credits (if any).

I wish you all luck in the following years. Remember: people will ALWAYS break bones!!! :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

edz in Altadena, California

59 months ago

Cara in San Francisco, California said: Does anyone know how long it would take for me to become an x-ray tech? I'm not interested in going to school for very long. I have a 4-year degree in Econ. Thanks!

I am interested in becoming an x-ray tech but I have a background. Can I still become one or would that be a prob lem. I would really apprecciate your help in answering my question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Curtis in Phoenix, Arizona

59 months ago

Christy in Pismo Beach, California said: You know I have to take at least 3 pre courses and then a 3 yr waiting list and then 2 yrs to graduate? I should just go to law school or become a doctor for the time it would take to be a freeken tech! I mean come on!

LOL law and medical school will take a bit longer than 5 years, but you have a good point. There is a ridiculous gap between the amount of students applying for those programs and the amount of classes available. I was on a waiting list for a nursing program for 3 years. In the mean time I started working towards a bachelor's in health management. By the time the school contacted me about getting accepted in the nursing program, I was almost finished with my degree. Then I went and completed my masters (all the while I would have still been taking nursing classes, had I gone ahead and started them) and got a position in management.

And they wonder why there's a shortage of nurses?

rick in Antelope, California

57 months ago

do any of you know any x ray tech programs from a vocational school in sacramento. not from yuba college

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

thinc2@sbcglobal.net in Sacramento, California

57 months ago

Do not waste your time. I am career counselor not an academic counselor. I specialize in career planning and as such I investigate the laboer market. THe supply of Rad Techs far exceeds the need at this time. According to the head of the Rad Tech Program at Yuba College, which takes and usually graduated 30 students per year, 0 from last year's class have employment, may be a handful part time only. This included high performing bilingual students. The occupation is cyclic so the future will be better but then those that do have jobs now and are registered will have the opportunity to access positions . DO RESEARCH. USE EDD STATISTICS AND TALK TO THE HEADS OF DEPARTMENTS. Avoid academic counselors they typically do not have the background or information.

Patrick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

thinking@xray in Concord, New Hampshire

57 months ago

Wow reading all these posts is a little discouraging.. The prgram seems hard & jobs are slim.. does anyone have any idea what other medical careers don't take FOREVER and might not be so hard. I am looking into a change of career and don't want to attend school for 4 years and I don't have time to be completely dedicated as I have 3 kids...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wantacareer in Charlotte, North Carolina

57 months ago

Geez I am discouraged also. I keep looking into training for a medical career and the more you research the more discouraged you get. My girlfriend is going to Dental Hygienist school...it pays pretty well for entry level and more with years of experience. But it is also a hassle to apply. She had to do 2 years of prereq's and then had to wait 1 year before she could even start dental hygienist school. They keep telling us medical jobs are in high demand but training is difficult. Wish they would fast track this stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angela,RDH in Lawrenceville, Georgia

57 months ago

Here are some career options...
Respiratory Therapist
Occupational Therapy Assistant
Physical Therapy Assistant
EMT or paramedic

Remember, nothing worth doing is easy! :) Any field in healthcare is going to take time, money, and a lot of work--you are taking care of people, and their safety and health is in your hands.

On another note--has your GF started dental hygiene school yet? If not, recommend to her that she really research the field. The job market sucks, and has for years. None of us hygienists are really sure where we are "in demand," as so many reports say. As for the pay, yes, we are paid well, generally speaking (that's if you can find a job), but we cap out very quickly. We do not get periodic raises, many of us do not have any benefits, many do not even have vacation time. If your honey is still in a position to change directions, it would be a good idea for her to check into the field.

Jennifer24 in Stony Point, New York

57 months ago

Jennifer24 said: That's bs! My best friend in the world is an X-Ray Tech and is black. I have another good friend who is hispanic and she's an x-ray tech as well. I myself am a hispanic female and started taking classes to become an x-ray tech. Race is no issue in this field.

Hey I'll like to know about you and your career as a x-ray teach, I'll like to know is it is difficult for a hispanic to become a radiographer. I don't know if its your case but i only have 2 years in this country and I have a little problem with English, I'll like to know if this is your case too, so that way maybe you can tell me something about it, and if is not i'll accept your comment anyway.
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Kissimmee, Florida

57 months ago

cheila in Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania said: sorry nancy in yuma, your friend will not be allowed into any hospital/healthcare based jobs. i am in x ray school and just like nursing you have to have a clean criminal background as well as no child abuse record. they do checks as soon as you apply.

Actually they only do background checks in the state that u are getting licensed..so if u dont have a criminal background in that state u can work in the medical field and be licensed. Trust me i have plenty of friends that i went to school with that were felons

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

voneill83 in North Haven, Connecticut

56 months ago

I'm also looking to get into an xray tech school. I'm looking to stay on the east coast, I'm having a hard time finding community colleges around here that offer the xray tech certificate programs. please reply if anyone can help me. thanks. im also looking to start this coming fall 2010

DJones in Lithonia, Georgia

54 months ago

Sandra in Kissimmee, Florida said: Actually they only do background checks in the state that u are getting licensed..so if u dont have a criminal background in that state u can work in the medical field and be licensed. Trust me i have plenty of friends that i went to school with that were felons

Hello. Thanks for the input it was helpful. I just started school and I really didnt want to crucify myself by volunteering information. Is there anyone else I can talk to verify your info.

mriteck4u in Cabot, Arkansas

53 months ago

Radiologic technology jobs are oversaturated check the job stats there are no jobs and the pay rate is going down to $11.00 hour for a four year degree. If I had it to do over I would of went into another field I have been looking for a decent job for over a year. Good luck and ask around you will find out that I am right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fernando in Jersey City, New Jersey

53 months ago

The comments about there being no or little jobs for X-ray techs is true. The shcools are graduating to many people and have flooded the market with techs. Ther are little to no jobs in most areas. It will take years for old techs to retire and open up positions. Find another profession if you don't want to be unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

fernando.gonzalez@cit.com in Jersey City, New Jersey

53 months ago

The comments about there being no or little jobs for X-ray techs is true. The shcools are graduating to many people and have flooded the market with techs. Ther are little to no jobs in most areas. It will take years for old techs to retire and open up positions. Find another profession if you don't want to be unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.