classes for x ray tech?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 81)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Lauren in Fayetteville, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

Im going to be a senior in high school and i have no idea where to go after it, i was thinking of x ray technician, i work well with computers, and im in chemistry classes. I dont know if i need to take any other classes? maybe some premed classes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (222) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

Lawrence Townsel in Flint, Michigan

83 months ago

Interested in x-ray tech program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

interested in x-ray tech

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Lawrence Townsel in Flint, Michigan said: interested in x-ray tech

what classes do I need to take.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (90) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

chelsie block in waupaca, Wisconsin

83 months ago

interested in becoming an x ray tech, but im only a junior in high school, and want to know what it takes to become one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

j in Paramus, New Jersey

80 months ago

first and for most hs students or about to be in college, the market for everyone in the radiology field regardless you are in nuclear medicine, radiation therapy, CT or MRI plainly stinks. Too many reasons why. The classes you need to take depends on the program you are taking but usually anatomy and physiology 1 & 2. Do not listen to carolyn; however, you need to be computer literate because of the new technology today like digital radiography. It's simple enough though especially that you are young, you'll be able to understand it. Just do not go to limited x ray schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Chester, Virginia

77 months ago

carolyn in Saint Catharines, Ontario said: your dumb u don't need computer skills to beocme an x-ray technician

To Carolyn in Ontario:

I find it quite humorous that you called someone "dumb" for specifying that they have computer skills and want to become an x-ray tech. Why don't you look at your reply again to her statement and tell me who's the dumb one, since you obviously can't spell a simple word, like BECOME. And yes, computer skills ARE necessary to becoming an x-ray tech. Here's some food for thought: have some knowledge in what you're giving advice on before judging others. Have a great day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Conor in Vallejo, California

77 months ago

"J" - the market for x-ray tech work doesn't stink. There is a HUGE need for them...more so in large areas like the bay area of California where I'm at. We are in dire need of them out here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Hixson, Tennessee

75 months ago

That is def true. there are alot more x-ray jobs in the west coast then there are anywhere, i work for erlanger and they just cut 600 jobs thank god it wasnt mine. There are more x-ray schools in the southeast than there are anywhere else in the country, in order to find a decent one you haave to go north or more out west..Dont forget when your looking for jobs, also look at clinics, thats where your best bet is, sometimes they only require a limeted scope practice license but it gets your foot in the door.

Steven W. ARRT RT (R)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Pete in Oakland, California

74 months ago

What are the schools in the Bay area for X ray tech what the time to finish the programs is it worth it , I am getting kinda old job wise.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Fremont, California

72 months ago

Conor in Vallejo, California said: "J" - the market for x-ray tech work doesn't stink. There is a HUGE need for them...more so in large areas like the bay area of California where I'm at. We are in dire need of them out here.

I'm in the bay area and would like to know more about what schools to go to. Can you help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

XMR in Portland, Oregon

72 months ago

There are little to no x-ray jobs available for new grads right now. Be wise about picking a profession before you get into debt. X-ray is in a dark time as far as job growth. Schools are putting out more x-ray techs then we need and it has finally caught up with everyone ask some recent students or some that are close to graduation. Don't ask the schools they won't tell you the truth period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Fremont, California

72 months ago

Thanks. I thought there was a need for them. I'm glad I asked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Huntsville,AL in Toney, Alabama

72 months ago

I would have to agree with everyone who states there are no jobs for x-ray technologists right now. I work at the number one trauma hospital in northern AL and we are on a job freeze along with every other hospital around us. I am thankful for my job and I hope the market opens up soon for all the new graduates out there. I would not go into the radiology field right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Saraaaaaaa in Davenport, Iowa

72 months ago

Would somebody please tell me the high school courses you need to take if you would like to become an x ray technician?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jessi in Maywood, Illinois

72 months ago

I am graduating an x-ray program in Illinois this year. IL is one of the worst states to get a job but most of the last graduating class has found employment in x-ray. Just do not expect full time or day work. As far as classes that are community colleges outline what you need for ya. The accrediting board made it mandatory for all programs, including hospital programs to have 15 college credit hours before entering Rad Tech programs. English and Math, Anatomy and Physiology,and Medical Terminology are some of the requirements I have seen. There is a rumor that they want to make a bachelors necessary to get into school (not to affect current techs) in the near future...that would probably open the field up again. I also heard Northern California has more job opportunities than the midwest, not sure about the rest of the country. Also, there are too many x-ray schools I agree, but also remember there are hiring freezes and people are losing jobs all over the country due to the state of the current economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

WTFB?!? in San Francisco, California

71 months ago

I love cheez.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Becca in Delaware, Ohio

70 months ago

carolyn in Saint Catharines, Ontario said: your dumb u don't need computer skills to beocme an x-ray technician

Actually, you're dumb because you can't spell. You should have written "you're" as opposed to "your", u know, the contraction for you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

makaila in Van, West Virginia

69 months ago

Lauren in Fayetteville, Pennsylvania said: Im going to be a senior in high school and i have no idea where to go after it, i was thinking of x ray technician, i work well with computers, and im in chemistry classes. I dont know if i need to take any other classes? maybe some premed classes?

I'm in the 8th grade and doing a report on bacoming an x-ray tech. I need to kno what I need to know and how long I have to go to school. If you can help by replying back to give me an idea, it would really help. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kat McDowell in Santee, California

67 months ago

Conor in Vallejo, California said: "J" - the market for x-ray tech work doesn't stink. There is a HUGE need for them...more so in large areas like the bay area of California where I'm at. We are in dire need of them out here.

Can you tell me where the best school is for rad tech?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Merchantville, New Jersey

67 months ago

Hello All,

I am a 29 year old looking for a career change. I'm interested in becoming an X-Ray Technologist. I am unsure of the school details. How long does one have to go to school for this line of work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

taurus20 in Kissimmee, Florida

67 months ago

To Amy, PLEASE read and listen to all the comments from all these people about the job market for x-ray techs right now.It is true that there are NO JOBS. You do have to go to school for 2 years to become AN ARRT REGISTERED x-ray tech but right now the schools have already put out enough x-ray graduates for probably the next 4-5 years. Theres just too many schools teaching it. You would just be wasting your time and you wont start out making that much money anyway. The schools and all those government reports will not tell u the truth about starting salary. Trust me I've been an x-ray tech for 12 years and I didnt start making $2o/hr until after 8 yrs. Pick something else to study. There are many other healthcare occupations out there that pay more and have more jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

67 months ago

TO Taurus20: Well, that's bad news. BUT, thank you for your honesty. I really appreciate it. I'll have to start thinking of another career!! Thanks again for your reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JOSEPHINE MELTON in Las Vegas, Nevada

66 months ago

i LIKE TO TAKE X-RAY TECH ON LINE HAVE KIDS AND WORKING AND i DON'T HAVE TIME TO GO TO CAMPUS STUDY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

iAM VERY INTRESTED IN CLASSES ON LINE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

tHANK YOU VERY MUCH IN SHARE YOUR COMMENTS IN THE X-TEC. I AM LOOKINGFORWARD TO ATTEN ON LINE SCHOOLING PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE WHERE TO GO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

STILL VERY INTRESTED IN ON LINE X-RAY TECH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I ALWAYS INTRESTRED IN TAKING MEDICAL CLASSES LOVE TO WORK WITH PEOPLE AND TAKE CARE OF OTHERS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

salisa in Fremont, California

65 months ago

hi, my name is salisa and i'm interested in taking an x-ray tech course. however i'm clueless on how or where to start. can u please help me out?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Newark, Ohio

65 months ago

I'm a 2nd year student in a program here in Ohio and I guess the whole job market thing varies from region to region. At least where I am at, you still have a chance to get job somewhere. I won't say the market here is good, cuz it's not, but its not horrible either. I know most of our recent grads have been able to at least find part time work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

richzelinsky@aol.com in Klamath Falls, Oregon

65 months ago

Out here on the west coast, there are no jobs, you apply and if you hear back, they tell you they will keep your resume for 6 months. Plus hospitals are hiring x ray technitians not technologist, its cheaper that way for the hospital. plus if you have alot of experience, your age is against you, even thoe it's descrimination, it doesn't matter, they won't say that. so what about the radiologic technologist who have given over 30 years in their field. nobody wants to hire them because there to expensive. the hospitals are letting imaging people go or putting a hiring freeze on. this is bad for all good x ray techs. like my self. I want to work, but nobody will hire us. and I'am a good technologist Thank you
Richard Zelinsky RT(R)(CT) ARRT

Dana in Fresno, California

64 months ago

Where??? I'm in Fresno City College Rad. Tech. 2 yr. degree program and looking at my options for work when the program is completed. What are the names of the hospitals you speak of?

Thanks, all/any info. is appreciated.

Dana in Fresno, California

64 months ago

Saraaaaaaa in Davenport, Iowa said: Would somebody please tell me the high school courses you need to take if you would like to become an x ray technician?

To answer all the high school students interested in rad. tech. you need at least a two year degree and licenced by the state. College students in the program in california will have presidence over high school students. Look into you local city college for more and correct, up to date info.

cc in Stuart, Florida

64 months ago

I AM CURRENTLY RESIDING IN SOUTH FLORIDA, BUT MIGHT MOVE TO SAN FRANSISCO, CA. I RECENTLY GRADUATED WITH MY AA IN PARALEGAL STUDIES, BUT WITH NO EXPERIENCE OUT HERE IN FLORIDA, THEY ARE NOT HIRING. ANY LUCK FOR PARALEGAL JOBS OVER THERE IN SAN FRANSISCO?

AND IF NOT.,I WAS CONSIDERING X RAY TECHNICIAN. IS THE DEMAND FOR X RAY TECHNICIAN'S IN SAN FRANSISCO HIGH?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jay Ren in Atlanta, Georgia

64 months ago

I'm reading all these comments and have a few questions. I'm 39yo w/2 children. I'm changing careers and applied to a RAD Tech Associates Degree Program. I had to attend a meeting, shadow another tech and then interview with a board of 4 local area hospital hiring managers BEFORE I attend school.
The school is telling me there are no jobs out there, but when I grad, there SHOULD be.
I would like to know if they're just saying this to weed out people in their program so they have a better pass rate in their school or if this is the truth? Before I invest time and energy I'd like to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Christina in Thibodaux, Louisiana

63 months ago

I just got my GED, I am 21/f and im really thinking about going for X ray technician, but as im reading all this it seems to be that there is no one hiring even if and when i get my degree in this there will be nothing available. I've went through all my stages on different careers and this is definitly what I want to do. Now I am very discouraged! And also I can't seem to find any college in LOUISIANA that offers it anyway.
If anyone with information let me know please and Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

XMR in Portland, Oregon

63 months ago

The market is getting worse and worse for X-ray Technologist.

OSYRUS in Iraq

61 months ago

This news is very unsettling to hear.I'm almost done with my first tour in Iraq,and I'm very interested in in going to school for X-Ray Technologist when I get home.When I'm finished with school I'll relocate to ATL,GA.I would like to know if the demand is high for this profession in that city?With a wife/3 kids is it possible to take everything I can on line,and the hands on part in the class?Do they let you split it like that?I currently reside in the mid-west.Any insight would help a great deal!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Visalia, California

61 months ago

No, you must attend a two-year program at your community college....Don't get scamed into those online schools for rad. tech. I'm in the program myself at my local college. In many schools there are waiting list to get into the programs, so look heavily into the the program at your local community college to know exactly what you will be getting into before leaping.

The only classes you can take online are your pre-required, general ed. classes, but no classes for the rad. tech. program are online. All hands on are done in the class at the colleges and inturnship in hospitals settings.

Good luck, and don't forget to meet with a health counselor at the college first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Visalia, California

61 months ago

Lauren in Fayetteville, Pennsylvania said: Im going to be a senior in high school and i have no idea where to go after it, i was thinking of x ray technician, i work well with computers, and im in chemistry classes. I dont know if i need to take any other classes? maybe some premed classes?

your need to take biology classes and several others for the program. go see the health counselor at the community college and you will know exactly what you need to take and not take; most programs have a certain grade point average you need to have along with specific pre-required classes you need to take for the program. Don't wing it or guess, go straight to the community college health counselor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

61 months ago

OSYRUS in Iraq said: This news is very unsettling to hear.I'm almost done with my first tour in Iraq,and I'm very interested in in going to school for X-Ray Technologist when I get home.When I'm finished with school I'll relocate to ATL,GA.I would like to know if the demand is high for this profession in that city?With a wife/3 kids is it possible to take everything I can on line,and the hands on part in the class?Do they let you split it like that?I currently reside in the mid-west.Any insight would help a great deal!

You'll have to do research on the job market for the Atlanta, hopefully the following is a good start. I picked up this info from a previous post and it seems that you could benefit from it since your in the military....

"Well my wife is also a Tech. But she has no issues landing a job, as she has landed two jobs in the past year. One thing she has going for her was that she earned her degree in X-Ray in the Army and spent 6 years in the Army doing the job of a X-Ray tech, you to could do the same, if you have interest in this email me at chuck.eaton@us.army.mil I was a recruiter for the Army, but now I work for an operations cell, but I can tell you how it worked for her. Look forward to hearing form anyone!"

Keep your perspective when reading all these negative posts. "The critical minority is usually the loudest." - anon. This quote was something that I picked from a business sense blog and it's a nice reminder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Dana in Visalia, California said: No, you must attend a two-year program at your community college....Don't get scamed into those online schools for rad. tech. I'm in the program myself at my local college. In many schools there are waiting list to get into the programs, so look heavily into the the program at your local community college to know exactly what you will be getting into before leaping.

The only classes you can take online are your pre-required, general ed. classes, but no classes for the rad. tech. program are online. All hands on are done in the class at the colleges and inturnship in hospitals settings.

Good luck, and don't forget to meet with a health counselor at the college first.

Great advice Dana :D; It's a good idea to stay away from "fast-track" "$30,000+" programs. Make sure it's jrcert accredit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia said: You'll have to do research on the job market for the Atlanta, hopefully the following is a good start. I picked up this info from a previous post and it seems that you could benefit from it since your in the military....

"Well my wife is also a Tech. But she has no issues landing a job, as she has landed two jobs in the past year. One thing she has going for her was that she earned her degree in X-Ray in the Army and spent 6 years in the Army doing the job of a X-Ray tech, you to could do the same, if you have interest in this email me at chuck.eaton@us.army.mil I was a recruiter for the Army, but now I work for an operations cell, but I can tell you how it worked for her. Look forward to hearing form anyone!"

Keep your perspective when reading all these negative posts. "The critical minority is usually the loudest." - anon. This quote was something that I picked from a business sense blog and it's a nice reminder.

(sorry for the typos.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nii Wilson in Bronx, New York

57 months ago

Hey Jay. I am also a current student looking to choose nursing or radiology tech and have been hearing about the "economny" situtation with the rad tech market. I have friends and my wife is a nurse and have NEVER heard them complain about "the economy" and my wife graduated in Dec 2008. I also hear that nursing has a high turnover rate. This makes it kind of scary
when a school tells you that there "SHOULD" be jobs AFTER you graduate. I say look into a 2 RN nursing program. I am not sure what jobs are currently available to nurses but my friends mostly work at nursing homes. Not my thing but I know nurses that make $60K part time (3 days a week)

Jay Ren in Atlanta, Georgia said: I'm reading all these comments and have a few questions. I'm 39yo w/2 children. I'm changing careers and applied to a RAD Tech Associates Degree Program. I had to attend a meeting, shadow another tech and then interview with a board of 4 local area hospital hiring managers BEFORE I attend school.
The school is telling me there are no jobs out there, but when I grad, there SHOULD be.
I would like to know if they're just saying this to weed out people in their program so they have a better pass rate in their school or if this is the truth? Before I invest time and energy I'd like to know.

Nii Wilson in Bronx, New York

57 months ago

If anyone had any info on the state of economy rad techs in FLA, MD, or especially NYC let me know. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

taurus20red in Decatur, Georgia

57 months ago

To Nii Wilson, I'm a rad tech with 12 yrs experience registered in both mri and x-ray. I can tell you from experience that the job market for this career is bad in Florida. Definitely do not move there. I lived there for 7 1/2 yrs and they will NOT pay you the kind of salary you could make in NYC. I moved back to Atlanta last year and the job market here is not that much better. Im only working prn. Theres a flood of rad techs all over the US right now so not much jobs. I would choose nursing if I were you. There will always be a need for good nurses regardless of the economy.

N in London, Ontario

57 months ago

Hi,

I've moved to Ontario and there aren't many xray jobs out here either. I've applied to so many places and can't even get a casual position. I'm quite dissapointed. I think there are too many xray techs.

Dana in Fresno in Hanford, California

57 months ago

I think the problem is partially that, once you get your rad tech assoc. degree, you people really should think about going for another 4, 8, 12 months after this to get a specialty. Seems to me that many stop and try to find a position without a specialty, thus, yes, making a huge pile of just rad. tech. without any other expeience or a specialty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

chelsie block in waupaca, Wisconsin said: interested in becoming an x ray tech, but im only a junior in high school, and want to know what it takes to become one.

Takes 2yrs. of college to get an associates degree, until then, you have a long way to go.

57 months ago

Becca in Delaware, Ohio said: Actually, you're dumb because you can't spell. You should have written "you're" as opposed to "your", u know, the contraction for you are.

It is somebody with the type of attitude you just showed to all of us that I hope never gets into radiology or any other medical field.....You lack compassion and you show a bad attitude....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.