classes for x ray tech?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 81 of 81)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Dana in Fresno in Hanford, California

53 months ago

Dana in Fresno in Hanford, California said: Takes 2yrs. of college to get an associates degree, until then, you have a long way to go.

You need to contact your community college for a start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michele in Louisville, Kentucky

51 months ago

I am seriously thinking about becoming an x-ray tech. Just wanted to know how the job market for this career is out here. Can someone please let me know asap. I start school this fall.

Jim789 in Englewood, Colorado

51 months ago

Michele in Louisville, Kentucky said: I am seriously thinking about becoming an x-ray tech. Just wanted to know how the job market for this career is out here. Can someone please let me know asap. I start school this fall.

I would not suggest going into the x-ray field right now. The market is flooded with too many techs. The only other thing I would say is that you should check the job market in your area and see if there are really any jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in San Leandro, California

50 months ago

Im 21 female, i did 2 years of college at a university but I am thinking of leaving for a lil bit and taking up x-ray tech classes, is it worth it? I hear the demand for them here in the bay area is high and can someone tell me what classes i need to apply for the program and what cc colleges have the program out here in the hayward,oakland,fremont,san jose area? How hard is the program? Does it take alot of work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jim in Columbia, Maryland

49 months ago

Becca in Delaware, Ohio said: Actually, you're dumb because you can't spell. You should have written "you're" as opposed to "your", u know, the contraction for you are.

you are terminology. the othe guys grammer was correct not yours. Also, this is not an essay. It is a message board so why try to put the guy down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

49 months ago

Vanessa in San Leandro, California said: Im 21 female, i did 2 years of college at a university but I am thinking of leaving for a lil bit and taking up x-ray tech classes, is it worth it? I hear the demand for them here in the bay area is high and can someone tell me what classes i need to apply for the program and what cc colleges have the program out here in the hayward,oakland,fremont,san jose area? How hard is the program? Does it take alot of work?

Kaiser-Permanente has a school of allied health sciences in Richmond. They are jcert accred. and teach fluoro. Keep in mind that this a certificate program and not associates. Both are good, but may very long term, so you may want to find which type will fit your goals the best. CCSF also offers any x-ray tech prog. so you may want to look into that as well. Yes, the prog. it does take a lot work - you have to be very dedicated to the field. Thinking about doing a short cut route such as attending "fast" programs will only cause frustration, money and most likely create a mediocre technologist. Think of your education as an investment and how good of a technologist you want to be. People who say that it's possible to find a job should make you more determined. Use it as motivation; they're doing you a favor depending on how you look at it and your work ethic.

"Well-behaved women seldom make history." - Ulrich

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

49 months ago

I meant to say people who say it's impossible to find a job - I guess it just reveals my positive state of mind when I say "possible."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RT in Hood River, Oregon

49 months ago

The job market is awful, there are too many x-ray schools and too many people going into x-ray because they read in the local paper that it was a "hot market", that simply is not true. The last place I worked didn't even interview 90% of the technologists that put in applications when we had a casual position because we had plenty of experienced applicants to choose from. As a experienced tech it is a bad market. As a new grad it is a extremely bad market, most new students can't even find casual positions. It is simple supply and demand, the demand is not there anymore. I know of techs with over 10 years of experience who are going back to school right now because they can't find work and everyone on the street is asking me how to become an X-ray Technologist because they have no clue how bad the job market for us is. It is simply the truth that the market has dried up, it is not a lie or someone just being "negative". It is someone being honest, so if anyone decides to get into it they know what is going on in the job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Untiltime in Acworth, Georgia

49 months ago

Its all about who you know when it comes down to it, and thats with anything

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jack Johnson in Quinton, Virginia

48 months ago

Nii Wilson in Bronx, New York said: Hey Jay. I am also a current student looking to choose nursing or radiology tech and have been hearing about the "economny" situtation with the rad tech market. I have friends and my wife is a nurse and have NEVER heard them complain about "the economy" and my wife graduated in Dec 2008. I also hear that nursing has a high turnover rate. This makes it kind of scary
when a school tells you that there "SHOULD" be jobs AFTER you graduate. I say look into a 2 RN nursing program. I am not sure what jobs are currently available to nurses but my friends mostly work at nursing homes. Not my thing but I know nurses that make $60K part time (3 days a week)

Most hospitals want experienced nurses. Thus, you better be top notch in Nursing school to get hired. A Hospital in my state has a nursing school with 150+ students that graduated. 3 landed a job with the Hospital. I talk with nurses daily, and most all agree, the average nursing career is less than 8 years because of burnout, no respect from Doctors and other Hospital Staff, and the Patients treat you as though your a waiter in a restaurant.

The X-Ray business is Totally flooded with techs nationwide. If there are jobs, like someone above stated in the Bay area of CA, it's because people can't afford to pay 2500 bucks a month for an apartment or 750,000 for a small home, thus refuse to move out there.

Even radiologists (MD's) are worried about their jobs. Along with the advancement of computer networking comes image reading being outsourced to places like India. Don't believe me? Ask any radiologist.

This Medical field is Not the Glory hole people think it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

JOSEPHINE MELTON in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I ALWAYS INTRESTRED IN TAKING MEDICAL CLASSES LOVE TO WORK WITH PEOPLE AND TAKE CARE OF OTHERS.

There are no online x-ray schools (that I know of). The reason is, half of your education includes working at a school sponsored by a hospital to receive clinical credits. Without the clinical credits, can't become an x-ray tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Jack Johnson in Quinton, Virginia said: There are no online x-ray schools (that I know of). The reason is, half of your education includes working at a school sponsored by a hospital to receive clinical credits. Without the clinical credits, can't become an x-ray tech.

Meant to say "working at a school sponsored hospital"

48 months ago

Jack Johnson in Quinton, Virginia said: Meant to say "working at a school sponsored hospital"

Darn, I can't spell either !!

Lori in Vernon, New Jersey

48 months ago

richzelinsky@aol.com in Klamath Falls, Oregon said: I have been an x ray Technologist for 32 years. Your terminology is wrong, a technician is a limited x ray technologist who can only x ray either hands or feet or chest ect. a technologist can x ray anypart of the body and will be hired by hospitals and clinics but not a technician.

Please e-mail me directly at lorraine@warwick.net

What determines who is qualified to perform a CT Scan with contrast and what specialized training is needed?

Is this a procedure that is done by just one person, say an x ray tech or in the case of using contrast,doesn't this require a nurse or highly qualified staff member experienced in using contrast and one who can recognize and respond quickly to any reactions a patient may have during the exam? What equipmebt is necessary to be in the room or department in case of an allergic reaction?

Who would be qualified and experienced to complete this exam safely?

John Kim in Pasadena, California

47 months ago

I'm looking to make a career change and thought something in the medical field. (I have a BS degree in Biochemistry and have been working the biotech manufacturing for the past 10 years.)

Looks like x-ray technologist may not be the best best in this economy. Some one has said there is a demand in the SF Bay area, where I currently live. A brief craigslist search has brought up 2 openings; one required 3 years exp, the other required phelbotomy cert and paid $10-12/hr.

My second choice was nursing, but I don't like the reputation of being treated badly by doctors.

What other medical field would you recommend that pays a decent salary, is in demand, and acceptance requirements are not entremely competition (ie medical school). Looking at a 2-3 year program.

Mary in Santa Cruz, California

47 months ago

Hang in there everyone. Here is a quote from an Associated Press release:

" · HEALTH CARE: The sector is expected to be the leading job generator, adding 4 million by 2018, according to Labor Department data. An aging population requires more doctors and nurses, physical therapists, home health aides and pharmacists.

Many of these jobs will pay well. Physical therapists averaged about $76,000 last year, according to the department's data. Others pay far less. Home health care aides earned an average of just $21,600.

Home health care and personal care aides are expected to add about 900,000 jobs by 2018 — 50 percent more than in 2008. "

They say that by 2015 jobs should be starting to correct.
So if you are entering a program in the next 1-2 years you should be on the spike.

Mary

karen said: christina in thibadeaux,la

there is an accredited program at two schools in Monroe, LA

ULM - 4 year program and Career Technical College - 2 year associate degree program

But read all the comments others have posted. I am a recent graduate of one of these schools and the job market is flooded with potential candidates for very few jobs. New graduates are having the hardest time getting any work. I interviewed for a job (which I did not get) and the interviewer told me that she had found her first job after being out of school 3 years, that was four years ago. Though I trust I will soon have a job, this is the most stressful time of my entire 51 years. The market is just not good, so at this time, this career choice is not for the unmotivated or faint of heart.

Lori in Vernon, New Jersey

47 months ago

Re: Radiologic Technologist

WHAT SPECIALIZED TRAINING IS NEEDED TO QUALIFY THEM TO INJECT CONTRAST FOR CT SCANS?

IT THAT SOMETHING THAT THEY DO?

Solomon Pryze, RT in Bloomfield, New Jersey

46 months ago

1)Online Radiology School?? big no no dont believe ARRT recognizes plus it will be impossible to gain clinical hours cause no hospital will take risk of training you...

2) The Job market is very tight... in NJ and many other states it is required for RT schools to be 2 years wether it is cartificate or associates degree... why make it harder to get emplyment?? go with the ASSOCIATES even if you can find xray job it will help you get a clerical, MA, or medical sales position...

3) If your young and think about going into radiography go with mindset of schooling for 4 years not the 2... after associates continue for BS and do nuclear medicine or therapy, it will expand your job oppurtunities..

4)the university i attend now took 60 credits from rad school that means only 2 more to go.....if your a young graduate and stuck in sucky job market like me think outside the box...Continue school immediatley in Pre-Medicine... you made it through Radiography chances are you can accomplish a lot more... you can be a future dentist,Physical therapist,podiatrist,optometrist or medical doctor(like me!!, by gods grace ill be a radiologist or ortho surgeon) trust me being an RT and having that clinical experience go a long way in medical school admission..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Solomon Pryze, RT in Bloomfield, New Jersey

46 months ago

Lori in Vernon, New Jersey said: Re: Radiologic Technologist

WHAT SPECIALIZED TRAINING IS NEEDED TO QUALIFY THEM TO INJECT CONTRAST FOR CT SCANS?

IT THAT SOMETHING THAT THEY DO?

None, that should be training one recieves doing CT just like someone who does xray administers contrast medium for a small bowel that only requires xrays and no floro... btw depends on your state... in NJ a RT is liscensed to be responsible of Xray, CT, Contast Mediums & administration, & venipuncture automatically once they pass ARRT exam so we are educated as such.... SO YEA IT IS SOMETHING THEY DO!! HAHAHA, BTW jus cuz some tecsh dont do something doesnt mean all tech dont... there is Research RTs and RTs that only work in Cardiac Cath labs the feild is broad but is unfortunatley tight

taurus20red in Decatur, Georgia

45 months ago

John Kim, I think you should look into the physical therapy field. You can become a physical therapy assistant after just 2 yrs of school and start off making at least $46,000yr. I done a lot of research on this career and Im interested as well. it is projected to really grow and add lots of jobs within the next 8 yrs. It is physically demanding so I know you need to be in in good physical shape to do this job. But I think it can be a very rewarding career if you enjoy helping and talking to people.

Greg in Palm Harbor, Florida

45 months ago

I live on the in Palm Harbor Florida and xray tech jobs are very hard to come by. Also basic xray does not pay very well. I did not know very much about the field before I went to school for it. I chose a school called Ultimate Medical Academy in Clearwater. You can graduate quick, but I do not recommend the school as they did not let us know we were unable to work in a hospital with a basic xray license until we were almost finished. The best thing to do is go through an RT program at a college. There is usually a waiting period, but it will be well worth it if you want to make some money. With a basic xray license it may land you a job, but it will only be in a small time doctors office making low pay and taking orders from some jerk who doesn't want to work. Also it is rare that you will find a job taking only xrays and your gonna find yourself doing mostly Medical Assisting work which is usually on the job training where you learn as you go. If your serious about an xray career put yourself on the college waiting list, it will be worth the wait.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

OCYRUS in Lake Mills, Wisconsin

45 months ago

Would anyone know if a Tech school for Rad Technology would be a better choice over a university.

stephanie in North Little Rock, Arkansas

45 months ago

richzelinsky@aol.com in Klamath Falls, Oregon said: Out here on the west coast, there are no jobs, you apply and if you hear back, they tell you they will keep your resume for 6 months. Plus hospitals are hiring x ray technitians not technologist, its cheaper that way for the hospital. plus if you have alot of experience, your age is against you, even thoe it's descrimination, it doesn't matter, they won't say that. so what about the radiologic technologist who have given over 30 years in their field. nobody wants to hire them because there to expensive. the hospitals are letting imaging people go or putting a hiring freeze on. this is bad for all good x ray techs. like my self. I want to work, but nobody will hire us. and I'am a good technologist Thank you
Richard Zelinsky RT(R)(CT) ARRT

wow you should learn how to spell, you say you are a good technologist, but no wonder you cant get hired, you cant spell... duh...here is a small hint.......this is how technician is spelled..... NOT TECHNITIAN idiot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

eli in california in Montebello, California

43 months ago

can somebody tell me how can i find chepest radiology or ultrasound class?would u give me more information?

Dana in Tulare, California

43 months ago

Get in touch with your community college counselor, they will have all the information your looking for.

Determined in San Jose, California

39 months ago

Hello Mary. I found your comments very helpful. I live in SJ, CA., have applied to the Kaiser program in Richmond, and would like to email you directly. Would that be alright with you?

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

38 months ago

Mary in Santa Cruz, California said: Hang in there everyone. Here is a quote from an Associated Press release:

" · HEALTH CARE: The sector is expected to be the leading job generator, adding 4 million by 2018, according to Labor Department data. An aging population requires more doctors and nurses, physical therapists, home health aides and pharmacists.

Many of these jobs will pay well. Physical therapists averaged about $76,000 last year, according to the department's data. Others pay far less. Home health care aides earned an average of just $21,600.

Home health care and personal care aides are expected to add about 900,000 jobs by 2018 — 50 percent more than in 2008. "

They say that by 2015 jobs should be starting to correct.
So if you are entering a program in the next 1-2 years you should be on the spike.

Mary

Those STATS are very stale. Healthcare reform has changed everything. Hospitals and imaging facilities are cutting costs left and right. In the last 10yrs there has been an almost 80% growth in the number of new technologists(I got those numbers from the ARRT). This means there are almost twice as many x-ray techs, in all modalities, as there where in 2001. Almost 30% of all x-ray techs are out of work completely and 50% are either out of work or only have a prn position. That means of the 18K technologists out there in all modalities there are about 6K who are either out of work or are working prn.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn't know what they are talking about and are completely out of touch. There are no jobs. Do not go into this field.

mary in Santa Cruz, California

38 months ago

Yes, in the past ten years the number of RTs have grown that have registered with the ARRT.(hit 250,000 nation wide in 2005). But so has the industry-imaging has grown proportionately as well.

In the past 3 years, the number of RTs graduating from programs have dropped from around 17,600 3 years ago to 15,900 in 2010, (see a trend here?). The attrition rate for RT programs has increased to a national average of 23% (see a trend here?). The graduation rate has dropped. My advise was to not leave the field of radiography if you are considering it but if you start now and graduate in 3-4 years that the availability of jobs will most likely have corrected itself.The graduates that will have the most difficult time are those caught in the middle of this trend-that has not corrected itself. These are the people like you that are frustrated a angry

The usual percentage of jobs available in RT in the good years is about 10-11% - today in the east and southeast it is 1.9% and in the mountain and west it is 3.6-3.9% (data from 2010). Yes job availability is down we all know that. When managers were asked the reasons the 3 most common reasons were: lower patient numbers, higher throughput (productivity), and lowered budget.

The patient numbers will adjust with more people entering with new insurance coverage and the baby boomers needing more health care, the productivity is what people are not acknowledging (digital is making techs more productive-able to do more in less time), and the budget cuts are due to the economy.
BTW: This information is available from ASRT.org in their Annual Reports.

mary in Santa Cruz, California

38 months ago

And while I am on my soapbox, the vast increase in RT programs that pump out more students are the PROPRIETARY programs, not colleges or universities. Thos programs that do it for the money and their owners.
And as for your comments about not counting per diem as a job-sorry IT IS A JOB. This is how a lot of new grads get experience. Do not dismiss it-it's an opportunity-take it

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

38 months ago

I tend to look at trends over longer periods than 2-3 yrs. What the last 2-3 years show is that the saturation point has been reached for the number of schools out there. Lets see what these numbers look like again in a couple more years with colleges / universities and hospital based programs increasing their numbers. Can't really debate an almost 80% increase over the 10yr period. The industry has grown but is greatly off set by medicare and insurance payments for high dollar exams going down. Another thing going against techs is that the increase in high tech also means that more exams can be done with fewer technologists. Budgets cuts may be do to the economy but it is also realated to healthcare reform, which isn't going away anytime soon.

I'm frustrated and angry for my friends. I guess you just don't care about your fellow technologists. See I can project as well, despite the fact that I don't know you.

You seem to be hoping for corrections. That is pie in the sky thinking. I choose to not burry my head in the sand.

Those people who are working prn until they find a full time job, don't have insurance or benefits and I would venture to guess that the majority of those people don't want to be in that situation but will take it until they get a full time job. If the best a potential student can hope for is prn then then things are really bad. Not a single person from last years graduating students at the hospital where I used to work has found a full time job..almost a full year since they've graduated.

Alina in Wallaceburg, Ontario

31 months ago

WTFB?!? in San Francisco, California said: I love cheez.

That was very helpful thank you very MUCH we should all like cheez U ROCK or trucksrock@hotmail.com thankz PEACE TO THE CHEEZ:) u rock my socks.......NOT my dog rocks my socks!!!! ur such an MJ GET A LIFE DUDE jkjkjkjkkjkjkjk I LOV CHEEZ TOO

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.