on the job xray training

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

lora in Lawrenceville, Georgia

67 months ago

I recently started working as an assistant for a doctor. I have been shown by the previous assistant and the doctor (only briefly) how to shoot and develope chest x-rays and various other parts of the body (hands, knees, feet). I follow the charts and take approximately 20-30 x-rays a day. My pictures are actually pretty good for someone with no absolutely no training. The doctor assures me that all of the equipment is safe and my exposure to radiation is not a concern. I have a high level of education- just not in medicaine and certainly not in x-ray technology.How dangeruos is my inexperience to myself? I do stand behind an open wall when I shoot, but I am still concerned that I am not taking all of the precautions that I should.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

a tech in Medford, Oregon

67 months ago

If you stand behind the wall, you can't get exposed.

experienced tech in Shelby, Ohio

67 months ago

lora in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I recently started working as an assistant for a doctor. I have been shown by the previous assistant and the doctor (only briefly) how to shoot and develope chest x-rays and various other parts of the body (hands, knees, feet). I follow the charts and take approximately 20-30 x-rays a day. My pictures are actually pretty good for someone with no absolutely no training. The doctor assures me that all of the equipment is safe and my exposure to radiation is not a concern. I have a high level of education- just not in medicaine and certainly not in x-ray technology.How dangeruos is my inexperience to myself? I do stand behind an open wall when I shoot, but I am still concerned that I am not taking all of the precautions that I should.

It is totally illegal to take xrays without a license. Whether your state offers a General Machine Operatos license is something I would look into if I were you. It is frustrating for those of us who went through the training to see someone taking it so lighty and operating such a highly sophisticated machine without radiation protection. Who cares about what you get behind the wall. What is the patient getting by your inexperience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Haley in Starkville, Mississippi

67 months ago

Amen! I just graduated from x-ray school and now I'm struggling to fing a job because people with no experience are taking our positions. Its horribly wrong to do that to people who worked so hard for their education and very dangerous for patients.

karen

59 months ago

that's right, you are not the only person who could be exposed to radiation, only proper training/education can keep every one safe

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

43 months ago

Wow lora. That is extremely frightening. Let this be a leason to all of you. Always ask whether the person taking your x-rays is a registered technician. This is not personal lora, but you absolutely should not be taking x-rays on anybody. The potential danger to yourself and others is great without the proper training and education.

Is your equipment DR or CR?
Are you properly sheilding your patients?
Are you seing appropriate techniques for the exams you are taking?

The potential harm that you could cause yourself or others is very real.

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

43 months ago

How do you know the charts are correct? This is beyond frightening to me.

barbara

40 months ago

Besides the fact, the physician allowing you to take the x-rays would be in serious trouble if this was to become know to the department of health, radiation protection division.

successISaJourney in Allendale, New Jersey

38 months ago

Figures..it's being done in Georgia! Ugh

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.