starting a career as an xray tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 60 of 60)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

PatchesPal in Sacramento, California

15 months ago

I'm not understanding why anyone would rather spend 17,000 to make just over minimum wage when spending between 4 and 5000 at an ARRT accredited facility will get you so much more. Support your family, own your own home, etc. Also not understanding why anyone would rather spend 30,000 to save themselves 6 months of training. Maybe it's because I spent years living in poverty and tend to put more thought into these things...

In my opinion, a limited license is a rip-off. They want you to do a job that requires certain skills, but they don't want you to make a decent living. I think it's wrong on every level, and if this is what you want to do, wouldn't it be more worth your while to get fully licensed and have some financial security? I can't imagine what facility would charge students more for a limited license than most people pay to be ARRT licensed. Don't let anyone scam you into it.

Also, look into the job market for your region. In some places finding a job as a rad tech is nearly impossible. I have friends who graduated and have been unemployed for years. The schools and tech programs are eagerly snatching up all your dough and over-saturating the field with new grads. Hopefully at some point the course admissions process will have a few more restrictions (like 10 years ago when I graduated - facilities were desperate for rad techs and it was relatively easy to find work) but as of now, they're counting on those of you who've done no research to keep filling their pockets.

It's not worth it to get totally ripped off to enter a field in which you can't find work. It's not worth it to spend all your time and money to live in a crappy apartment in a crappy area. Look for that ARRT accreditation and research research research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

15 months ago

T.R.R. in Raleigh, North Carolina said: The military option will no longer be an option after 2016. Per A.R.R.T all incoming techs students will need to be in an associates degree program or already have an associates before being able to challenge the registry exam, plus there will be no exempt status for military people.

That is not quit correct. Yes, starting January 2015 all x-ray techs will be required to posses at least an Associates Degree before they can sit for the registry. However that associates degree can be in any discipline. It doesn't necessarily have to be in Radiology. None of that changes the fact that the ARRT still accepts Military training and education. This is directly from the ARRT>>
"ARRT leadership fully expects non-degree granting programs to continue graduating well-qualified professionals who are eligible for ARRT certification — either through an articulation agreement with an ARRT-recognized degree-granting organization or by admitting only those who already have an academic degree."
www.arrt.org/Certification/Academic-Degree-Requirement
Nothing in any of the documentation disqualifies military training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MarioGonzu in Venezuela

13 months ago

About radiology career, the salary of radiology technician is around $65k per year, according radiologytechniciansalarysource.com/

lukensue@frontier.com in Haskins, Ohio

12 months ago

Does anyone think our xray market will open up after Obamacare is officially in operation?

Sue

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

11 months ago

lukensue@frontier.com in Haskins, Ohio said: Does anyone think our xray market will open up after Obamacare is officially in operation?

Sue

ObamaCare will force hospitals to cut jobs.

www.Dailyjobcuts.com

And read about all the lay offs at hospitals.
Cleveland Clinic announced a $330 million cut for their 2014 budget...
which means lay offs in all departments including radiology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Radguy1 in Wilmington, North Carolina

8 months ago

kayla in Mountain Home, Arkansas said: I'm also thinking about this field.
while the training is shorter for an xray technician,
i'm sure theres better pay for radiologists and way more job openings.
i'm still looking at info online, let me know if you find any info andwhat you decide to go with.

Hey I think this site would answer some of your questions or maybe point you in the right direction www.radtechnologist.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Radguy1 in Wilmington, North Carolina

8 months ago

lukensue@frontier.com in Haskins, Ohio said: Does anyone think our xray market will open up after Obamacare is officially in operation?

Sue

This guy could probably answer your question www.radtechnologist.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Markemark in Tustin, California

4 months ago

I can't find a job after 9 moths of searching. I lost al of my hopes :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Showard in Boise, Idaho

2 months ago

Short programs that are only 9 months only allow you to obtain a technicians license. The associates let you get a full technologist license. Without the full license you cannot work in a hospital and perform many of the exams like fluoroscopy, surgery or even some xrays like abdomens. There is also a pay difference. As a technologist you can choose where you want to work. You could work at a hospital or you could work at a clinic too. You can also advance into other modalities like CT or mammo.
I attended a 2 year associates program (3 including pre-requisites), and just recently graduated a few weeks ago and was actually offered a job before I graduated. And it was not at one of my clinical sites. My class was 13 people and so far half of us have already been hired. The market is tight yes, but you do have to be willing to move. I accepted a job 9 hours away and had to move but I would have moved halfway across the country if I needed to.
The average pay of a radiologic tech is not $67,000 dollars everywhere. It very much depends on where you live. Here in idaho starting out if you are lucky enough to be full time you will probably make about $40,000. However, in this state that is not bad because the cost of living is much lower than say california. Here, your first job will probably not be full time. Many times it is PRN... but that is ok because you have to get your foot in the door. It will most likely turn into a better position. It is said by many, that if you do not get a rad tech job in a year after you graduate you will most likely never get one. All employers have to do it wait for a new batch of technologists to graduate who have more current knowledge and have actually worked with equipment in the last year.
one mistake some people make is thinking they should go into xray becuase they cant be a nurse because they are squimish around blood....What do you think happens when someone breaks their arm in half? You still have to deal with all that.

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

2 months ago

It is a sad state of affairs when Technologists are fighting for PRN positions. When a technologists gets one or multiple PRN positions that person has take the first position offered to them. Technologists can't interview at multiple locations and take the best offer instead they take what they can get. This is not the sign of a strong career field.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.