What are typical x ray tech salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

deborah

87 months ago

i wanted to know if i became an x-ray tech. how long would it be and whats the pay.....thanx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (283) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

silver in Las Vegas, Nevada

81 months ago

$25/$38 an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

mike

80 months ago

how much does an x ray tech after 2 getting an associated in ft lauderdale make?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

jimmy in Escondido, California

77 months ago

deborah said: i wanted to know if i became an x-ray tech. how long would it be and whats the pay.....thanx

it takes two years and expect to make 70,000 in san diego county. if you hussel you can make 80,000

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Kissimmee, Florida

56 months ago

DIANNE in Brunswick, Ohio said: I am looking at A certificate program. Does the pay differ from having an associates degree? What is the entry level salary?

I just recently finished a certificate program for xray tech....and in the state of florida you can not work in a hospital with more than 150 beds...which in central florida is rare to find a small hospital. Basically you can work in a clinic and usually the pay starts anywhere between 11-17 dollars. Depends on that doctor and how stingy he is with his money lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

38 months ago

Celeste in Wilmington, Delaware said: High Crime big Cities/ Metropolitan areas and Trauma Centers Pay the Most..averaging 70k or more. Tip. get more experience once you become a tech and get another modality under your belt..example Ct scan..MRI...Mammography

...and don't forget very high cost of living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

33 months ago

Caitlyn Gullett in South Charleston, Ohio said: I;m 17 and a junior in high school. I was thinking about being an x ray tech but not sure. Is there any way I can get a job in Ohio, or would I have to move? I also want to know how much an hour I would be paid.
Thanks.

Starting pay is right around $16/hr.
I don't know anything specifically about Ohio but if it is anything like the rest of the country there probably aren't any jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

S629 in Newark, Delaware

32 months ago

Celeste in Wilmington, Delaware said: High Crime big Cities/ Metropolitan areas and Trauma Centers Pay the Most..averaging 70k or more. Tip. get more experience once you become a tech and get another modality under your belt..example Ct scan..MRI...Mammography

I'm also from Delaware, did you go through the Del-Tech Rad Tech program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

johnny in Bullhead City, Arizona

30 months ago

what do the top paid techs make in bullhead city ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DEPYPOLI in Athens, Greece

29 months ago

johnny in Bullhead City, Arizona said: what do the top paid techs make in bullhead city ?

HELLO FROM GREECE..I AM A XRAY TECH AND WE OUR SALARY IS 850EUROS A MONTH TRAGIC??? WE HAVE THE BMD THE MAMMOGRAPHIES THE CLASSIC X RAY AND MORE..I AM SEARCHING FOR A JOM IN ANOTHER COUNTRY ...BECAUSE OF THE ECONOMIC CRISIS. I AM 28 YEARS OLD AND I WANT TO LEARN ABOUT MY FIELD IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES..MY EMAIL IS DEPYPOLI@WINDOWSLIVE.COM..IF SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME DETAILS ABOUT THAT I WOULD BE GREATFUL...FORGIVE ME FOR MY ENGLISH. GREEDING FROM ATHENS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Bronx, New York

29 months ago

JBONE in Westbury, New York said: I actually started at exactly 25$ an hr haha

Hi, what school did u go to? And how is the market in NYC for x-ray techs, I really was interested in this field ^__^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

prove it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nicole

28 months ago

I started at 23.50 an hour. Its a government job and I don't understand what GS 8 step one means...

Jenn in Lenoir, North Carolina

27 months ago

Drones you cannot even compare Nebraska to Cal. Berkely is in the Bay Area which has a high price of living. I made 14 as a dental assistant 14 years ago. xray was always 10 more than that so add on the years and you get what she says. Same with New York.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Meg in San Francisco, California

17 months ago

UCSF Medical starts around $30-35

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Meg that isn't close to accurate. Nothing I have seen is even close to that. $30-35 is at the upper end of the pay scale and not the lower end. AVG salary is $45,000/yr which is way less than $30-35/yr. Remeber that this is AVG which means that starting will be way less copy and past this link to find out.
www.indeed.com/salary/q-X-Ray-Technician-l-California.html
I believe this one is the most accurate. The max salary in all of California is $36/hr which would probably compare to Nebraska's $26/hr adjusting for COL.
www.techniciansalaryguide.com/x-ray-technician-salary-in-california/
"The minimum X-Ray Technician Salary In California is $17.16, the maximum salary is $36.27 and the average salary of x-ray technician’s is $25.46 per hour."
Here is another link which puts starting at about %50K in one of the most expensive places to live the world.
www1.salary.com/CA/San-Francisco/radiology-technician-salary.html
Here is another one that puts starting salary at about $40K
www.radiology-schools.com/x-ray-technician-salary.html
I believe that most of these numbers are very inflated. "The American Society of Radiologic Technologists reports that the average starting salary for a radiographer in the United States was just less than $44,500 in 2010. The average salary of all radiographers, regardless of experience, was about $54,000 per year." I left the field after 20yrs making only $53K/yr and I was at the very top end of the salary scale. IOW, I wasn't making the Avg/yr salary but I was in the upper 10%.

None of these even address the actual job market, which is horrific. Also, that first link shows that the salary trend for radiology is downward. I worked in the field for over 20yrs. I know what I'm talking about. I'm not making this up. I'm not saying this to scare you. I'm trying to educate you about the current, foreseeable future, of radiology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

17 months ago

I had a X-ray tech friend in Hayward cal and she was making $28 and that was out if school nights 10 years ago. Bay Area is really high compared to others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Night shift differential pays really well. At $28/hr for nights means that her base hourly rate was likely $25. Considering the cost of living would translate to $16-19/hr in the midwest (just ball parking it here)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JBONE in Westbury, New York

17 months ago

Funny that some people disliked this comment (as if I have nothing else to do with my time but lie about my starting salary as an x ray tech...which was IN FACT $25/hr (twenty-five dollars an hour... figured id spell it out in case these yahoos somehow misunderstood haha)...never surpises me how stupid some people are...somebody else hit the nail on the head $25-38/hr at least here in NY...more if you can also do CTS and MRIS

17 months ago

JBONE, I don't dislike your comment, I just know it's not true. All of the research that I've done shows that AVG starting salary in New York to be in the $22/hr range and with the cost of living in New York that translates to about $15-18/hr.

You can spell it out all you want but I have evidence on my side. Perhaps you are so exceptional that your boss wanted to make sure that you were more than compensated. In the end it will balance out and the numbers don't. High end AVG salary, not starting but AVG which means at least 5yrs experience, is about $27/hr. Here's one link, and can produce more if necessary, however they all say essentially the same thing. BTW, the current Max in NY is about $33/hr. This is for diagnostic and not the modalities.
swz.salary.com/salarywizard/radiology-technician-Salary-Details-Bronx-NY.aspx?&hdcbxbonuse=on&isshowpiechart=false&isshowjobchart=false&isshowsalarydetailcharts=true&isshownextsteps=true&isshowcompanyfct=true&isshowaboutyou=true

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Uhh it is true...and I actually know other people personally who started at $26.50 an hr...you can do all the research and look at all the statistics you want. The aforementioned is simply FACT and if you choose to think its not true, then you are a moron and I wont try to convince you any further haha.

17 months ago

Hahaha ok pal...u got me.. I didnt start out at $25.00/hr 3 years ago after graduating a hospital based program at Mercy Medical Centre in Rockville Centre NY (Hell..Im not even an X ray tech who quite honestly deserves a $3/hr raise). Nor do I know other techs who started at $26.50/hr. I also dont still keep in touch with quite a few of the techs I graduated with. So when I tell you my friend Phil is making $32.50/hr doing MRI'S thats also a lie. All of this was complete fabrication in order to impress YOU some guy from the middle of the country who I will never meet in person. This is how I spend my time. Lying to people in Nebraska about my starting salary haha. Don't believe me what do I care...but your a fool, and even my family got a kick out of you so thanks ...godspeed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in New Milford, New Jersey

17 months ago

there is no need to fight about people's salaries. if you got paid that high as a radiographer, good for you. I think it is exactly what Drones is trying to say period. NY, NJ, and CA will pay that kind of salary per hour because of the cost of living and of course, the market of such job in the area. I got paid well when I was performing diagnostic exams, and I still do it also. There is no need to mock anyone but the sad truth is that xray techs across the nation are underpaid. This is what I say to xray techs who are starting out is simply this: save the money you have while working as an xray tech and go back to do something else for whatever it is. I did it because I want to save my back and I just want to get paid more. However, this does not mean xray is easy by any means. If you talk to a lot of techs who used to be xray techs and only do their specialty now, they will say that xray is hard because there are a lot to remember and if you miss the image, you need to do it again with the pt's body and xray tube unlike a cat scan, mri, or nuclear medicine. This is just my two cents, and yes, I don't believe Drones mean anything bad what he said. Good luck to everyone by the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

reformist in Hackensack, New Jersey

17 months ago

Schools continue to pump out new Radiologic Technologists every year at record numbers, as the unemployment for current technologists continue to climb. At the very best, all you will be able to find if you are extremely lucky are per-diem and temporary, or part time work with no benefits. This is true across the United States. It is not advised that anyone goes into this field because it is already flooded with technologists and the competition is fierce to say the least, also bringing the demand and pay scale incredibly low. Take the advice from all the unemployed graduates and experienced techs. Don't become an X-ray Technologist. Although job opportunities for technologists are scarce in this economy, it's even worse for new graduates. In most areas of the country over the last few years, there appears to be a flooded job market with more technologists than available jobs. With so many community colleges and hospital-based radiology programs producing so many new grads each May, the market is basically nonexistent. The Department of Labor statistics listing Radiologic Technology as a high demand job is outdated and inaccurate. These numbers are based on outdated formulas and statistics. Just go to hospitals and imaging centers and ask the technologists to confirm this information. They will tell you how many applicants they get every week from people unable to secure a position. This was a great field to get into in the past, but good job opportunities are long gone for the foreseeable future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Fair enough, I can accept that if it is indeed the case (as your comments are valid). It just sounded like he was flat out calling me a liar (not once but twice), which even coming from a stranger is as offensive as anything could be. Truth be told I'm underpaid at 25.00/hr...they gave me exactly what I asked for out of school but theres no doubt in mind if I asked for up to 27.00/hr I would have gotten it. With that said, I do realize jobs arent that easy to come by. I work in mobile diagnostics as well so mabey that account for some of the differences in scale I dont know...Good luck to you as well.

17 months ago

JBONE, let me first start by apologizing if you believe that I was calling you a liar, that was not my intent. I'll concede that you're paid what you say you are paid along with other people that you know. As you felt disrespected by so I felt disrespected by you. I worked as an x-ray tech for over 20 yrs, ever where from California(Sacramento) and Texas(San Antonia) back in the 90's to Nebraska in the 2000's and beyond. I realize that people in states like California get paid more, however they get paid more because of the cost of living. Everything is cheaper here in the mid west; homes, food, gas(although recently gas prices have begun to reach the $3.90/gallon a mark), lower taxes etc. I know that in places like California all of those things are much more expensive. All you have to do is read the messages on indeed, yahoo, and Aunt Minnie. The job market for technologists is horrible all across the country. I'll also concede that there are likely pockets where this isn't the case but in Nebraska where the unemployment rate is below %4 technologists are struggling to find jobs. The hospital that I used to work at is going through its second round of layoffs. So, if this is happening in a state like Nebraska it is significantly worse everywhere else. I also know that modalities such as MRI, CT, IR, Nuc Med, Rad Therapy, Mammography, PET, etc pay more than diagnostic. I also spent some time working in mobile x-ray for about 6 months( I had to hand develop films) and I hated it. Driving around in that van all day long, in all kinds of weather, maneuvering the x-ray machine into nursing homes, assisted living, Alzheimer units, long term recovery units, with little to no help from the staff trying to get a cross table hip of a patient in a bed sucked. There wasn't enough money for me to continue working in that environment. By the time I left x-ray all together my hourly wage had maxed out. If you work long enough in the same field that will happen to you as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

anonymous in New Milford, thanks for your help in clarifying my intentions. I really didn't mean to come off so rude and disrespectful. I want to make it perfectly clear that radiology is struggling badly right now. When I hear from my former boss that there are 25 people applying for PRN spots I know that the field is in trouble. All of the horror stories from people in California, LA area, Washington state, Texas, Florida, NY, etc should be a clarion call to those who want to get in the field and those who are thinking about getting out. Once a technologist gets a job they are essentially stuck at the place of employment. Since there are so many technologists and so few jobs it puts the employers in a position of power.

Those who are able to find work with a decent salary should be very thankful. They should realize that their good fortune is the exception not the rule. I would suggest that everyone spend some time reading through all of the posts to get a clear picture of what is going on with radiology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in New Milford, New Jersey

17 months ago

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska said: anonymous in New Milford, thanks for your help in clarifying my intentions. I really didn't mean to come off so rude and disrespectful. I want to make it perfectly clear that radiology is struggling badly right now. When I hear from my former boss that there are 25 people applying for PRN spots I know that the field is in trouble. All of the horror stories from people in California, LA area, Washington state, Texas, Florida, NY, etc should be a clarion call to those who want to get in the field and those who are thinking about getting out. Once a technologist gets a job they are essentially stuck at the place of employment. Since there are so many technologists and so few jobs it puts the employers in a position of power.

Those who are able to find work with a decent salary should be very thankful. They should realize that their good fortune is the exception not the rule. I would suggest that everyone spend some time reading through all of the posts to get a clear picture of what is going on with radiology.

I highly agree. DRONES, I commend you for being here though out the hard times even though you are no longer in the field active, but you still continue to give advises for experienced and aspiring technologists out there about the real truth of radiology today. It is very unfortunate everyone loses their patience through time especially when the economy is so bad like today. I hope the students who are trying to research the radiology field and want to know the real truth about the job market in diagnostic xray, ultrasound, nuclear medicine, cat scan, mri, and radiation therapy finds this forum to prevent themselves to make a big mistake of their life especially if or she has a family already. It is not impossible to find a job, but you need to be extremely lucky to get that "job." I just hope this economy gets better for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Apology accepted. Mobile has its good days and bad. I also have to use film sometimes and theres still a darkroom in the office, but most of the time digital machines are readily available with wifi internet laptops fully equipped. I do like the job actually very much but it is a double edged sword...you want hours? Ull get em...sometimes 16 at a clip due to traffic as u said (picture that in nyc it can take 2 hours to go 5 miles in some places). For what its worth my boss is extremely easy to work for and it really creates a positive work environment as you want to go the extra mile for the guy (no pun intended). But yea drones its fine...i knew what you were saying right from the outset, its just when you called my word into question thats when I got mad...its one of the few things in life that are yours and yours alone. Be well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Thanks JBONE, and best of luck with your career in radiology.

WesD in Chicago, Illinois

13 months ago

Below is an article called "Get a Radiologic Technologist Job"

It covers:

Educational Requirements
Classroom Training
Certification
Employer Requirements
Industry and Work Environment
Skils

www.jobunlocker.com/blog/how-to-get-a-radiologic-technologist-job/

Radguy1 in Wilmington, North Carolina

10 months ago

deborah said: i wanted to know if i became an x-ray tech. how long would it be and whats the pay.....thanx

Hey I think this site would answer some of your questions or maybe point you in the right direction www.radtechnologist.com there's a link to salaries on the site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

delrio in Pompano Beach, Florida

8 months ago

DEPYPOLI in Athens, Greece said: HELLO FROM GREECE..I AM A XRAY TECH AND WE OUR SALARY IS 850EUROS A MONTH TRAGIC??? WE HAVE THE BMD THE MAMMOGRAPHIES THE CLASSIC X RAY AND MORE..I AM SEARCHING FOR A JOM IN ANOTHER COUNTRY ...BECAUSE OF THE ECONOMIC CRISIS. I AM 28 YEARS OLD AND I WANT TO LEARN ABOUT MY FIELD IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES..MY EMAIL IS DEPYPOLI@WINDOWSLIVE.COM..IF SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME DETAILS ABOUT THAT I WOULD BE GREATFUL...FORGIVE ME FOR MY ENGLISH. GREEDING FROM ATHENS

I don't know exactly how much that is in "American dollars" but her in Florida depending what city you can make anywhere from 11 to 20 dollars an hour....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DVT in Woodbridge, Virginia

5 months ago

Hello, I was wondering what is the starting pay an hour in northern Virginia? does anyone know?

Nick92596 in Nyack, New York

12 days ago

Do radiology techs get paid good money in NY?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.