Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 241)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Radiographer in Beaverton, Oregon

95 months ago

donotapply in Turlock, California said: The market is down at the moment, but that happens ever 7-10 years when the schools put out too many students. It will return. It just takes some time.

Of course referring to us we prefer to be called Technologists.

In California, technicians are limited and are not as educated!

I wonder about this, allot of schools will need to close their doors for this to happen, and they are so used to lying to people about the job market I don't see them closing anytime soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

donotapply in Turlock, California

95 months ago

What happens when supply out does demand, some schools close, take fewer students. The good schools are soley dependent on their Radiology Programs to keep the school going. The good ones have learned to ebb and flow with the tide.

gd in Pompano Beach, Florida

95 months ago

Sick of Wall St, NY in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello,

Can someone advise me on this? I am 39, unemployed since the beginning oy May, have been working on Wall St all my life, and am TIRED of it. All the garbage that goes on with these financial companies is so horrible, i am tired of being laid-off every few years and watch these bozo CEO's make millions of $$$. I was told this weekend to look into X-ray technician jobs. I am collecting unemployment now. #1: Is this a good career switch? #2 Are there any schools nearby Manhattan or Woodbridge NJ for this? #3: How much does it cost to go to these schools for X-ray Technician jobs, and could i get financial aid to pay for it? #4: How long does it take to complete a course if i went full-time?

Thanks

Sick,
I think your best bet is to go to MRI school. I was working in Brooklyn when I met some dude who was going to school for MRI. He wasn't an x-ray tech and it was only gonna take him a year to finish. You can start at about 30.00 in the city for MRI. The going rate at MT. Sinai for new x-ray tech is only 22.00.

The field is flooded so your might want to go into nursing instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jaime, Raleigh,NC

94 months ago

Patricia in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I have 10+ years of experience in radiology. Worked everything from mobile on. Live in Charlotte N.C. a pretty large city and CAN NOT BUY A JOB.

Have you found a job yet? I am considering this field on study but after reading all of the posts..not so sure. Not interested in the nursing route. Do you know if Raleigh is overflowing with tech's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jaime, Raleigh,NC

94 months ago

Jman in Raleigh, North Carolina said: From my experience the number of x-ray students is far exceeding the number of available jobs and this trend will continue for the foreseeable future.

As a recent graduate I have been unable to find a job in Wisconsin or North Carolina. I have been told that there are at least 20 applicants for each job opening and if any of those applicants has more job experience the chances of landing that job are slim to none. This will only continue to get worse in the near future as schools continue to pump out as many x-ray techs as they can in order to make as much money as possible. When you graduate they can care less whether or not you have a job, which in my opinion is unconscionable.

I would recommend looking at another field such as nursing which has a much more promising future outlook.

Hello. I emailed another person from Charlotte b/f I saw that you are from Raleigh. Is Raleigh overflowing with grads? Thought of this field, former nursing student 15+ years ago and not interested in going that route again. Please let me know if you have any info. Thanks.

kg in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

I'm taking my pre-requisites to get in to a hospital based Rad Tech program. I just did a site visit the other day and it seems like a very interesting field. They also said they make very good money. . . An Angio tech said he made $90,000 last year, a nuclear medicine guy said he makes over $34/hr, and the CT/MRI people said they make $35/hr. Does anyone have any experience with working in these areas and are these realistic incomes??

Gabriella in New Orleans, Louisiana

94 months ago

Yes, the money's good, IF, and that's a BIG IF, you can get a job. Otherwise, you'll be in the poorhouse with the rest of the techs who are looking for one.

DON'T go into this field just yet, any of you who are thinking about doing so. The jobs just are not there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

qweenuvharts in Owasso, Oklahoma

94 months ago

ditto! IF, you are lucky enough to find a job, then IF you are lucky enough to find a good job and people to RESPECT your talent then you will enjoy your skill and chosen profession, but otherwise you might end up being temporarily frustrated until the glut in the tech market slows down. Technology seems to be exceeding the demand for techs. I just feel fortunate to have a job, but I won't be treated like a peon after having 20+ yrs experience as a technologist. I SO hate it when they say techs are a dime a dozen, but they get what they pay for at that rate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JMan in Raleigh, North Carolina

94 months ago

Jaime-
Raleigh is still a tough place to find a job as a graduating student. Someone told me that they graduate over 130 students a year in this area. Where I work now they had a part time opening and they had over 100 people apply within 2 days. There just aren't enough jobs to go around for the volume of students graduating.

Good Luck in the future, I wish you the best.

Jerry in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

Is there any jobs for new graduates from x-ray school out there?
I am thinking of going back to x-ray school? Had to drop out due to a death in the family.
Should I go back or not? I enjoyed the work? But if there are no
jobs than...????

kg in Hacienda Heights, California

94 months ago

are most of the experienced people on here limited or unlimited techs??

Patricia in Charlotte, North Carolina

94 months ago

I am ARRT Certified Technologist 15 years experience and can not find a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alyssa in Greenville, South Carolina

94 months ago

Patricia in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I have 10+ years of experience in radiology. Worked everything from mobile on. Live in Charlotte N.C. a pretty large city and CAN NOT BUY A JOB.

I just moved to Greenville, SC from West Palm Beach, FL. I can NOT find an xray tech job to save my life! I thought it was just the area, but reading everyone's comments, it seems like I'm not the only one struggling! The only job interview I've had offered me $12.00/hour- are you kidding me? We are worth way more than that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Janie in Muncie, Indiana

94 months ago

Mickey in Drums, Pennsylvania

94 months ago

I would suggest doing a broad search on "healthcare" jobs. You will see there are few to none in X-ray, including the specialties. I search every week, and it is always the same. There are always jobs in nursing, and then Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy. An x-ray Technologist will work in a Hospital, Outpatient setting, and perhaps doing mobile. Nurses and other Therapists can work in the same areas, but in addition: private duty, in home nursing-think Bayada nursing, nursing homes-very large arena, schools etc. There are more places to get jobs.

If you really want to invest in this field, perhaps go to a school where they offer a BS, AND get trained in one of the specialties.

donotapply in Turlock, California

94 months ago

Indeed.com, radworking.com and absolutely healthcare.com
are good sites to find All types of Imaging jobs, all modalities.
And most of them are very current. You can also sign up for alerts when new jobs hit the boards.

The ASRT also has a job bank, that has quite a few job listings.

I still see many, many jobs, even in PA, all the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

trish in Chicago, Illinois

94 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: 1. No it is not a good career switch. 2. I'm sure there are plenty of schools. 3. Community college is reasonable and yes you can get financial aid. 4. 2 years if you ever hope to be employed. But don't be fooled there are lay-offs. Right now there are NO jobs. I'm a NMT with PET/CT and was laid-off after 10 years and all I can find is PRN. I would not have this PRN job if it were not for friends, which you make after years in the profession. Anyone graduating from the program now is not employable. Sorry but that is the reality. Tech's with 5+ years are having a difficult time finding work. I'm thinking it may take me another year before I am FT again.

I agree with this. I just graduated from Radiology school in July and I finally just landed a job two days a pay period only because a tech died and I've been working at the same hospital as a lab tech for 18 years.... if it weren't for that I most likely would not have been hired there either.... don't go into Xray....

94 months ago

I agree also. DO NOT GO INTO RADIOLOGY AT THIS TIME. Have been laidoff since January can not find a job in Radiology. 10+ years experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shavon

94 months ago

Patricia in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I agree also. DO NOT GO INTO RADIOLOGY AT THIS TIME. Have been laidoff since January can not find a job in Radiology. 10+ years experience.

what are you going to do now? I've been thinking about either going into Radiology or nursing. i don't know if i would like nursing though. I'm 30 yrs. old and looking for job stability. If you could give me some advice i would really appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriella in Louisville, Kentucky

94 months ago

I believe Patricia already gave you advice. Nursing is a much more lucrative career. I've got over 20 years experience and have been laid off since April. Moved to another city/state to find work. Not much here either, but a few more than there are in NOLA.

IF I had it to do over again, I would have gone to nursing school instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Fairfax, Virginia

94 months ago

If you do the schooling you MUST do an internship of sometype. The only people who got jobs after they graduated from x-ray school where either interns at their clinic sites or where super good techs by nature.

Tim in Fairfax, Virginia

94 months ago

I agree.

Janis in Scottsdale, Arizona

94 months ago

Tim, is making an excellent point on how to "judge" a good school.
Good schools should include internships and clinical experience with the program that you are paying to obtain, whatever degree, certificate, registry eligibility, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Allison in Ross, Texas

94 months ago

I'm in 9th grade and already doing research papers for x-ray Technician. Hopefully this job is right for me especially for the rest of my life!! Please tell me if u this job is not good (Should i be looking for a different job or should i be a X-Ray Technician!!
Thank You
Allison
Email me at AllisUnnnPaige05@aim.com

Starting over in OC, California

93 months ago

Mike in Modesto, California said: I'm thinking about attending the 2 year program for Radiologic technology at Foothill college in California. Is this a good choice? I always hear that everyone needs xray technicians, but how is the job market?

I've been in the printing biz for 18 years. I'm looking to go back to school as an X-Ray Tech, yet am also curious about the job market. The college that I am looking to attend is in Oceanside, California and I live in Foothill Ranch, CA. I see a few jobs here or there for X-Ray techs yet seen alot for RT. I could use some advice before dropping $24,000 and 15 months of schooling.

Thanks,

Mark

93 months ago

Go into Nursing or Physical Therapy. Jobs everywhere for both. Not everywhere in Radiology.

Tim in Herndon, Virginia

93 months ago

The job market in general is pretty bad for x-ray techs. If you do decide to be an x-ray tech then in order to get a job you have to either A) demonstrate your an A++ x-ray tech in clinic so they will REQUEST you after you graduate or B) Do an intership as a student tech during the program. They will most likely just hire you as a full time tech after you gradute. If you just graduate pass the exam like everyone else does you'll have a very very hard time finding any kind of work. Most places will not call you back or say "we're gonna have to pass you up for someone with more experience" It really does not make a lot of sense. A tech you has passed all the exams and has been watched by they radiology instructors for 2 years in clinic has what it takes and has enough experience already. If newly graduated tech didn't have enough experience the instructors would have failed them. Bottom line is the supply for tech's is too high and the demand is too low. Plus the pay really isn't all "that" great. $50,000 a year is minimal but I wouldn't raise a family with that salary. Sure you can do CT, MRI, Nuke Med etc. to get a salary increase but remember you gotta be a x-ray tech first and the job market sucks. All I have to show for my hard work is a student loan and no job.

93 months ago

Starting over in OC, California said: I've been in the printing biz for 18 years. I'm looking to go back to school as an X-Ray Tech, yet am also curious about the job market. The college that I am looking to attend is in Oceanside, California and I live in Foothill Ranch, CA. I see a few jobs here or there for X-Ray techs yet seen alot for RT. I could use some advice before dropping $24,000 and 15 months of schooling.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, I am from that area, and there are no schools in Oceanside????
If you do go to school make sure you go to a "full" school and not one with a limited program. I know Maric is in Vista? Is that the one you are speaking of?
They are limited. The only full Radiology School in the San Diego area is Mesa College!

Janis

Starting over in OC, California in Lake Forest, California

93 months ago

Hey Janis,

It was Maric, now Kaplin College. There is an x-ray technician/office support program. It's about 15 months long.

What would you recommend?

93 months ago

Maric in Hollywood, I think is a full program. Maric in SD is not. I would not do the limited program. It is very limited and you would probably only be able to work in Orthopedic offices, and those jobs don't come around very often, and don't pay well if you are only limited.
Maric I am pretty sure has filed bankruptcy because of disatisfied students, there for bumping up to the higher corporate name. Kaplan. Kaplan is still owned by the Washington Post. I use to be a program director with Maric in Vista, and know a lot of the inside scoop.
Even though you get a lot of negative people on this forum, rightfully so, if they are jobless, but I have been in the field for over 30 years, and have watched the rise and fall in the jobs. Truthfully if you are a good tech, there is always work, maybe not in your back yard, but in your location, there will always be work. The best way, (for others that are reading), if you don't get picked in school during your internship, is to sign on with a temp service, and wonder thru a few per diem jobs as a fill in. The cream of the crop always gets snatched up. I started the first (in the US) temp service back in 1979. My good techs were always getting job offers even in slow times! The market fluxuates in Radiology as it does it all other markets (Bull and Bear just like the stock market). But,if you take your training seriously, and make yourself an excellent technologist, there will be work. JUST DO NOT GO LIMITED! It is a CA thing and no other states will accept the license. Get into a program where you get registered nationally. One never knows where one will end up living :-)
I started out in CT at Yale, came to CA via NY, spent 30 years there and now in AZ. I have also worked as a traveling technologist, which is also a good paying job, but slower right now. It will balance back out. It always has and will continue to do so!

Good Luck, and write me anytime. jlhahn53@msn.com

Janis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

On a fence in El Cajon, California

93 months ago

Ok so I am looking into a school to better my life. LMRT is a no flippen way....but RT sounds right up my spine! I know the guy (or gal) that takes me back to the little Testies To Sterile room always makes me feel the best when I have to go to the hospital for a broken bone or chest x-ray or whatever! The best bed-side manner seems to come from them. I have great people skills and I am a smart fella. So I thought in my current situation.......why not this? After reading this board I have reservations. To start: I am male! I have a family to provide for. I have about a year and a half of funds to float me through school. (I am understanding I am looking at 2 years of school.......correct?). I make 20 bucks an hour now And could reach 25, but cant do the work anymore due to an injury. Not to mention there is no real future in what I do. Not for good money anyway. So something with a future is what I seek. Am I on the right track? It seems to me that medicine and this field have a future. As for getting a job where a million peeps a week pop out of schools, I have an upper hand. (Relative in HnR of a Hospital near by). So do I make this change in my life? Do I choose this profession? Where can I go with this education later on? Thank you..............

93 months ago

Hey on the fence.... It is going to take you some time to get into Mesa or Pima, with probably a whole bunch of classes to be taken before they let you in.
I've been in the field over 30 years...and made my name in San Diego. I am sure you are talking about Grossmont? (well Sharp Grossmont, now?) I still think it is a great field. And if you bust your tail, while doing your internship, the hospitals in SD will hire you. UCSD, Grossmont, and Scripps are great teaching hospitals, but realize that there usually is a waiting list to get into the schools. You are right to stay away from the limited. But, if you are willing to work hard, the money is there! I use to work tons of OT, and the CA labor law is in your favor for that one....time and 1/2 after 8 hours every single day. Better than any other state (besides NY) in the country. I've had many years, that I've made 90,000, sixty is more realistic, but I busted my tail for a few years to see what I really could do....and that was just as a technologist~ Administrators get paid a lot more~ I have had those jobs, too.

The only bias against men are mammo's but there are still many modalities like nuc med, MRI, ultrasound, cardio and specials that men to very well in. Lots of call backs. lot of work, but if you really want to do it, the work is there~

Look into the prerequistes of the two schools. Pima is much more expensive, but Mesa is a state school, but still a waiting list for both. I know the people at both schools.

It really is a great career. I don't care what every one says above me here, especially the ones that recommend nursing....you have to change a lot of bed pans before you graduate. Radiology is a much cleaner and just as valuable of a profession.

Good luck~~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gabriella in Jeffersonville, Indiana

93 months ago

On The Fence, you mentioned you can't do the work anymore due to an injury. I don't know what type of work and/or injury, but bear in mind, an RT does a lot more than push buttons. The work can be VERY physical. Not all patients can walk in and jump up on the table. Some may be paralyzed, others unconscious, some with major trauma. There is a LOT of lifting involved when it comes to patients like these. Portable machines to push, C-arms. You're on your feet a lot. It is a physically intensive job at times. Many times I've felt I had been wrestling with an alligator.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Two great feedbacks here so far! I like what I hear. I sifted through some of the above comments and came to these conclusions myself but still needed some honest feedback to push me over that fence. As for the injury I got it covered. Dont want to go into the details of it, but it will not be a problem for this type of work. Thank you for the concern and heads up tho! I am not sure what school I will go with. This is the second step for me so far. The first was choosing....the next (here and now) is research! I think I am off to a grand start. Many moons ago.....ok 10 years....I took the ASVAB....uncle Sam offered me anything in medical I wanted. Staring as a coreman and moving up from there. My plans were to go as high as a PA. For personmal reasons that route forked and I went another direction. However with my test scores being what they were, I know I have the aptitude for it. I am still waiting and welcome more feedback on this matter. It was nice to have positive words of encouragement come off this board. Thank You!

93 months ago

What about LVN?

93 months ago

Janis you were not kidding. Most of the colleges that have radiology programs (Southern California) are booked for a minimal 1-2 years. Of course there are openings in Kaplin (Vista). The Kaplin in Hollywood is too far away. The program at their Vista College starts in May which is available.

I know you have mentioned being "limited" going this direction, yet wouldn't it be a platform for the time being and continue with further education? BTW - Did you get my email from a few days ago?

As always,

Thanks!

XMR in Portland, Oregon

93 months ago

[
I just read througha all the comments, I don't think imaging is a bad field. But x-ray is very physical no matter what anyone says. The reason everyone is encouraging nursing is because there are practically no jobs in x-ray. In Oregon and Washington a new student has about zero to none chance of landing a position unless they know someone. Check your area for job listings, then check how many schools there are and how many students are being graduated. Do the math, the same problem is happening in other modalities. Everyone wants two to three years experience minimum. I wouldn't bother with x-ray right now period, not to mention the programs are full and hard to get into. We teach students all day long they having been a little bummed by the job market the last few years and I don't blame them. Ultrasoud is the last in demand modality right now if you could get into a program it might not be bad. Nursing may not seem as glam as x-ray but is pays better and is still in demand. So at the end of the day the real question is do you want to pay off those student loans you will have or not?

93 months ago

Starting over in OC, California in Lake Forest, California said: Janis you were not kidding. Most of the colleges that have radiology programs (Southern California) are booked for a minimal 1-2 years. Of course there are openings in Kaplin (Vista). The Kaplin in Hollywood is too far away. The program at their Vista College starts in May which is available.

I know you have mentioned being "limited" going this direction, yet wouldn't it be a platform for the time being and continue with further education? BTW - Did you get my email from a few days ago?

As always,

Thanks!

Accidently deleted :-( sorry. I was changing to a new computer and it didn't go over to the new one. Write again, please!
Maric Vista is NOT, I repeat NOT a good idea. The full time schools will not take someone into the program with a limited license!!!! Accept, and I think this is only a maybe, because Maric is so money hungary, and that would be Hollywood. When I was teaching and running the program at Maric Vista, I had a student, because of me, fall in love with the whole idea of becoming a "full tech". (Before I knew, about the schools refusing limited techs) I had let the students in the program come down and work with me on a weekend shift, to get a look at how we did our job, and how quickly we had to move). This poor student just loved it, and wanted more. And because of Maric, he was denied! Then lost interest in the Maric limited program, because of no future....just a whole kettle of worms.... limited and full technologist are like oil and water, they do not mix.

93 months ago

Yes, radiology is physical,but so is nursing! Have you ever followed an ICU nurse for a shift? We may go in and out doing the portables, but it is not the same as having to roll that same comatose patient for eight hours, and usually alone! I think it is spliting hairs trying to figure out which career is more physical. There is such a difference in the science of the careers. Though we are both in a field where we help others, I don't think that the nurses that go into the field for the money make good nurses, nor do the technologists. I for one could never stand being a nurse, and my sister who is a nurse, thinks Radiology is "dangerous". Two totally different mind sets. You have to follow your heart, and not just pick something to fill your wallet. Again, my opinion only. When you do something you love, the money will come~!!

93 months ago

On a fence in El Cajon, California said: What about LVN?

LVN....in San Diego? Due to the nursing shortage there are more places starting to hire LVN's again, but mostly nursing homes, state institutions, and people that hire "sitters". In my head, an LVN is like a limited X-ray tech, a lot of the same headaches, but not the "license" to handle and not as potentially challenging. I really only know of one LVN that had a decent job, and that was only because of the OT, and that was in clinical research, as a clinical coordinator. She wasn't even really working as an LVN, but being used for her aquired skills. I don't advocate people using other people.

Have you check the respiratory or Physcial therapy programs? Also fields in high demand? I am not sure of the schools for that in the SD area. But, they also pay well.

Again, as I said in an earlier note, do something that you love and the money will come. We only have one life, and hating your job shouldn't be part of it!!
You have to love what you do, to make it all worth while.

Gabriella in Jeffersonville, Indiana

93 months ago

Anyone who goes into Xray now is a fool. Read about the trouble RT's are having finding a job. Yes, the job market in general is bad right now. But difficulties with the job market for RT's started much earlier. Supply and demand. Too much supply=little demand. Period.

93 months ago

Gabriella in Jeffersonville, Indiana said: Anyone who goes into Xray now is a fool. Read about the trouble RT's are having finding a job. Yes, the job market in general is bad right now. But difficulties with the job market for RT's started much earlier. Supply and demand. Too much supply=little demand. Period.

RT's cycle, much more predicatably then the economy. Everyone is having trouble getting jobs, in every field. I actually think that this is a GOOD time to go to school. Since we are about three years into the cycle, by the time someone graduates the cycle will be over, and probably get higher paying jobs then people have now that have been working for 10-20 years.

The schools only start pumping out more students when the demand is high, and back off when the demand isn't there. When the demand exceeds the supply, salaries go way up, jobs are more plentiful, because it will take at least three more years to get more techs out of the schools and into the field, and they still won't have enough training...

Good and resourceful techs will always find work....Maybe not in their own back yard, but there is still plenty of work out there. I get job lists every day for places looking and looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Ok I am off the fence so to speak. RN RN RN is the way to go. My brother (an RN) said son......get it done in one shot! If you can do a year and a half then you can do two and a half. POINT! So I am going to just go all the way, not look back, and jump high! 2 1/2 will go just as fast as 1 1/2 because no matter what we do in life......time goes by!

93 months ago

Hey on the fence....go for the nursing, and when you are done, look into Radiology nursing. We have nurses that work soley in the Radiology Dept, to monitor patients, give injections, help in angio...etc. Maybe you can get to the best of both worlds.

Good Luck...and keep us posted!!!

On the Fence in Las Vegas, Nevada

93 months ago

Not in Vegas....just at work! Thank you Janis for all your help. I called Kaplan about the RN courses. This may be tuff as I have no backround to date. They say I have to work in the field for 6 months just to enroll. And even then it based on points before I can start. This is going to put a clitch in our financial plans. We have enough funds to make this happen over 24 months and thats a stretch! the course is 20 but ad the 6 and we are way over. They also say I have to take the 2 month CNA course. But then only need to work for 4 months as one. Hence the full 6. Any way around this? I just want to start classes and get things under way. Classes start in may and yes maybe I could do all this now but I cant work for under what I make now if we are to stay on track with our (my family and I) plan. Again any ideas?

93 months ago

On the Fence in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Not in Vegas....just at work! Thank you Janis for all your help. I called Kaplan about the RN courses. This may be tuff as I have no backround to date. They say I have to work in the field for 6 months just to enroll. And even then it based on points before I can start. This is going to put a clitch in our financial plans. We have enough funds to make this happen over 24 months and thats a stretch! the course is 20 but ad the 6 and we are way over. They also say I have to take the 2 month CNA course. But then only need to work for 4 months as one. Hence the full 6. Any way around this? I just want to start classes and get things under way. Classes start in may and yes maybe I could do all this now but I cant work for under what I make now if we are to stay on track with our (my family and I) plan. Again any ideas?

Just be careful of Kaplan! Their counselors are like used car salesman, and work for commisson. They will saying to get you to sign, because they know how easily you can get the 20,000 goverment loan, that you have to pay off and not even bankrupt out of!!!

Also teachers are only so-so because of the low pay....

There is an ultrasound forum you should read up on, the reason's why Maric is not called Maric any longer was due to numerous lawsuits, so they just bankrupted the end line of a very long chain that not only includes Kaplan, but Kaplan is owned by the Washington post. Impossible to get money refunded

The second chance, vocational schools.....truthfully if I was going to pict another career, right now, I would go to computer school! And Kaplan does have a pretty good computer class (or I think they call it IT)

All I can say is be careful, buyer beware of Kaplan!!!!

93 months ago

Thank you again Janis! yeah I have done the computer thing. Market swings way too much to keep this up. When a company shuts down so does the network! So I am looking for lifetime job security! My brother went through Meric. He says the same thing about buyer beware....however you get out of it what you take! Take all you can get the clinicals get the goodies they offer and when its time to take the boards who cares how you got the info....just that you got it and did well! Something to that nature! P.S. like how I go from Vegas to San Diego all in a few hours. Love the network!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

93 months ago

Small world. The guy that recommended Kaplan was an IT grad who switched to X-Ray Tech. Reason being, either too many in the field or jobs sent overseas. He went thru 5 jobs in two years before switching careers. He just started working as an X-Ray tech at South Coast Medical $18/hr.

I'm still leary of Kaplan.

Most of the counselors that I've talked to or met with (from various colleges here in California) only guide you to their college or won't give you the time of day. Big difference from the Midwest where I was brought up.

93 months ago

Be leary of Kaplan. Their counselors are used car salesman, that get paid commission to get you thru the door and signed up!!!! They will tell you almost anything if they think you have money or will qualify for a student loan. They also lie about "job placements" after graduation. For example, and this is true.
I purchased my car from a Honda dealer and a Maric graduated Medical Assistant.
She was not medical assisting, but selling cars...and was "counted" as employed, inferring that she was working as an MA, but not really saying that???
But newbies fall for the bull! Please trust me, I was an insider, that was forced to pass people that did not deserve passing, or on competency exams to get in....some went as far as "reading" the questions to the potential students, because their reading comprehension was soooooooooooo low!!!

Any job is what you make of it. $18/hr is low for South Coast???? But it is a small hospital, probably will get bought up by a bigger one, soon. Then salaries will go up. One thing that is good about CA is the overtime law is pro employees and most places understaff and if you are willing to work, the OT money is great. I worked at Sharp....and lots of time was paid double time because of lack of staffing!!

93 months ago

I wasn't knocking the $18. I think that's decent pay just getting out of school in a new industry plus I don't mind OT.

I trust you on the whole Kaplan situation as well. What I do need is a contact (besides yourself) "out here" that can guide me to what schools that are decent to attend. Please remeber, the last time I looked for further education was back in 1993 and that was in a different state. I'm not afraid of the work, I just want to be on the right path! Please help.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.