Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 241)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Janis in Scottsdale, Arizona

91 months ago

Ditto, all around :-).....I even wrote with glue and glitter one year on Santa hats and stockings!

Have you traveled?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriella in Clarksville, Indiana

91 months ago

Traveled? Not cross country, but did work on a mobile CT that serviced an area in a 100 mile radius of my home. It's hard to travel when you're married and/or have kids at home.
Family comes first in my book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Gabriella in Clarksville, Indiana said: Traveled? Not cross country, but did work on a mobile CT that serviced an area in a 100 mile radius of my home. It's hard to travel when you're married and/or have kids at home.
Family comes first in my book.

Agree about the family first......but then something has to come in second and or last......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

qweenuvharts in Chinle, Arizona

91 months ago

Hate to bust your bubble, but the Tulsa Market is & was saturated with new xray techs. With like 4 or is it 5 school in the area (depending on how far one will drive)The market is STILL flooded with xray techs especially the new ones. Take the 25 in your program times the number of schools in the area... That makes 100-130 techs/ year pumped out into the Tulsa economy. I've had to move on & OUT of my home area& I've lived @ Tulsa most of my life:( I IS VERY frustrating!& then they promise you x $$$$ (no~
I miss home very much, but I've gotta eat, pay bills & such. I will repeat myself, I LOVE MY JOB/CAREER, but saturating the market provides a dog-eat-dog environment, so if you can find a good employer... Praise God! and stick with 'em. Best Wishes...as it IS WORTH the work & effort!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

qweenuvharts in Chinle, Arizona said: Hate to bust your bubble, but the Tulsa Market is & was saturated with new xray techs. With like 4 or is it 5 school in the area (depending on how far one will drive)The market is STILL flooded with xray techs especially the new ones. Take the 25 in your program times the number of schools in the area... That makes 100-130 techs/ year pumped out into the Tulsa economy. I've had to move on & OUT of my home area& I've lived @ Tulsa most of my life:( I IS VERY frustrating!& then they promise you x $$$$ (no~
I miss home very much, but I've gotta eat, pay bills & such. I will repeat myself, I LOVE MY JOB/CAREER, but saturating the market provides a dog-eat-dog environment, so if you can find a good employer... Praise God! and stick with 'em. Best Wishes...as it IS WORTH the work & effort!

After checking you out on the map, you my dear are a credit to the profession.
You need to do whatever it takes.....God Bless you! Must be freezing up your way! Cold down here~!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Janis in Avondale, Arizona said: With this economy, the worst since the depression, I would recommend you go where the job is for the moment. If you need a job badly enough, they you up and go! Galveston just put out an ad! Check indeed.com. It shows you ads all over the US. This is not an economy where you are guaranteed a job in your back yard. Radiology is a very good profession, but sometimes in life, sacrifices have to be made. This might be the one that changes your who life to something better! Nursing and Radiology are two different professions, attracting two different kind of people. This is a time that we all have to do "whatever" it takes! There are challenges across the board!!!

Yes, it's been difficult moving and trying to relocate EVERYTHING, but that's part of growing... I would have Loved to have a job in my 'backyard'...almost did/ but Gotta do whatcha gotta do. Thanks for the encouragement. Agreed, these professions attract and Maintain 2 different types of people & the good ones stay & endure the hard times. Kudos, Janis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

qweenuvharts in Chinle, Arizona said: Yes, it's been difficult moving and trying to relocate EVERYTHING, but that's part of growing... I would have Loved to have a job in my 'backyard'...almost did/ but Gotta do whatcha gotta do. Thanks for the encouragement. Agreed, these professions attract and Maintain 2 different types of people & the good ones stay & endure the hard times. Kudos, Janis

Avondale? I am in Scottsdale :-). I don't even know where Avondale is :-)
Kudos, to you too! Enduring the hard times brings many rainbows!!!

91 months ago

donotapply in Turlock, California said: What happens when supply out does demand, some schools close, take fewer students. The good schools are soley dependent on their Radiology Programs to keep the school going. The good ones have learned to ebb and flow with the tide.

Yep! I agree. It's about supply and demand in a market. Just seems that the supply of technologists outweighs the demand of the constant market. I left a job in my 'hometown' that was willing to hire a brand new grad and cut their wage by a few dollars, instead of keeping me on..I'd worked for them to get them out of their slump, but there's rare loyalty among employers anymore. Great career field, I just don't like the disrespect of some; basically anyone that strives hard for a career and is 'put down' by staff or prospective employers. I even had a prosp. employer tell me I had Plenty of Experience, exceptional resume, but ...they wanted someone with MORE experience in a certain area, but I might try down the road for a job. I did tell her, that if I'd have wanted to go there, I would have (politely..after all they'd called me in for an interview. weird huh) Hang in there folks. The one thing you can count on is change.

Starting over in OC, California in Lake Forest, California

91 months ago

I am just digging into my first class "Survey of Medical Terminology". It's an online course....not sure if I should have taken a on campus course of it instead. It's seems overwhelming yet very interesting.

I can honestly say that this class is all "greek to me". :)

(the humor is that it is mostly greek and latin terminology...for all of you that have taken it would get giggle out of my comment) :)

Any tips or trick to memorize this stuff would be appreciated.

Sorry for being off topic.

91 months ago

"ab"duct away from the body
"ad" duct towards the body....

Follow the direction of the b.....away
Follow the direction of the d....towards (the loops of the letter)

Never Let Tillie Pants down
Mother Might Come Home (The eight bones in the wrist)....

There are others.....some newer ones some of the others might want to jump in!
You are right most of the words are taken from the latin and greek! Enjoy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

qweenuvharts in Chinle, Arizona said: Yep! I agree. It's about supply and demand in a market. Just seems that the supply of technologists outweighs the demand of the constant market. I left a job in my 'hometown' that was willing to hire a brand new grad and cut their wage by a few dollars, instead of keeping me on..I'd worked for them to get them out of their slump, but there's rare loyalty among employers anymore. Great career field, I just don't like the disrespect of some; basically anyone that strives hard for a career and is 'put down' by staff or prospective employers. I even had a prosp. employer tell me I had Plenty of Experience, exceptional resume, but ...they wanted someone with MORE experience in a certain area, but I might try down the road for a job. I did tell her, that if I'd have wanted to go there, I would have (politely..after all they'd called me in for an interview. weird huh) Hang in there folks. The one thing you can count on is change.

Boy, you are sure tripping thru the forum today....that's something I wrote when I was still in Turlock. One of the trends that is different today, that I think is effecting jobs more, is that a lot of our bosses are "business degreed" and not "radiology degreed"......and really don't have an honest clue of our dedications to patients.....and are only looking at their year end bonus for meeting budget demands......

rgood1970 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

90 months ago

Yeah, I agree but until the ASRT and the ARRT STEP IN IN AND LIMIT THE NUMBER OF SCHOOLS AND THE EXORBITANT AMOUNT OF STUDENTS THEY ARE PUMPING OUT WE WILL BE STUCK IN THE SAME VICOUS CYCLE THAT WE HAVE BEEN IN FOR DECADES. THAT IS PERIODS OF FLOODED JOB MARKETS FOLLOWED BY SEVERE SHORTAGES. AFTERALL ISN'T THAT WHY WE PAY OUR DUES TO THESE PROFESSIONAL AND CREDENTIALING ORGANIZATIONS???

N.Holmes in Savannah, Georgia

88 months ago

qweenuvharts in Gallup, New Mexico said: I AGREE! ...(that's why I try to find a woman gynecologist whenever I can)but for those times I can't I'll take the PROFESSIONAL EVERY TIME!

Well down here in Georgia, most of the women i have talked to say that they prefer a male gynecologist and it doesn't matter who does the mammo job. Only the old heads don't want a male doing it on them.

x-tech in Jacksonville, Florida

86 months ago

donotapply in Turlock, California said: Registered is at the national level ARRT. Certified is just at the state level, and each state can have their own license structure. Some choose none at all. Those are the toughest states to get jobs. The coasts are far better, and closer to bigger cities as to getting jobs and better pay!

Certification and Registration are both at a national level with the ARRT. A person is certified as they pass thier registry exam, the registration is an annual process. So to say you are a certified or registered technologist is basically the same thing - registered is preferred. Licensure is at the state level and varies from state to state.

86 months ago

x-tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: Certification and Registration are both at a national level with the ARRT. A person is certified as they pass thier registry exam, the registration is an annual process. So to say you are a certified or registered technologist is basically the same thing - registered is preferred. Licensure is at the state level and varies from state to state.

THANK YOU for the accurate explanation from JAX, FL! I'd love to move to JAX! It's my favorite place to date. Don't you have to have state licensure there? How long does the application process take and is it difficult?

Starting over in the OC in Lake Forest, California

86 months ago

Not to get off topic. How strict is the ARRT in relationship with criminal record? I mailed out the other day a pre-qualification to the ARRT prior to starting the program. I have a Class E felony back in 1997 which was "not complying with an officer". It was a suicide attempt. A dumb mistake, yet glad I didn't go thru with it. I also have a DUI in 2001. The letter I wrote showed all of my advancements since those two incidents with referrals and a letter of recommondation from my probation officer (1997 incident). The felony was 2 years probation.

nancy in Tulsa, Oklahoma

85 months ago

how long is the waiting list to become a rn?

nancy in Tulsa, Oklahoma

85 months ago

N.Holmes in Savannah, Georgia said: Well down here in Georgia, most of the women i have talked to say that they prefer a male gynecologist and it doesn't matter who does the mammo job. Only the old heads don't want a male doing it on them.

how long do you have to wait to get in to nursing school in Ga

FEMALE XRAY TECH in Dayton, Ohio

85 months ago

I have been in the x-ray-CT field for 25 years at a few different Hospitals. Has anyone out there ever noticed that men, even the freshly graduated men don't have to do any flouro work like BE's or UGI's? The hospital I am at now is really bad about it. There are a few of the female techs that are starting to speak out and bring it to the attention of the supervisors. I was just wondering is other hospitals in other states have the same problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cc in Stuart, Florida

85 months ago

Sick of Wall St, NY in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello,

Can someone advise me on this? I am 39, unemployed since the beginning oy May, have been working on Wall St all my life, and am TIRED of it. All the garbage that goes on with these financial companies is so horrible, i am tired of being laid-off every few years and watch these bozo CEO's make millions of $$$. I was told this weekend to look into X-ray technician jobs. I am collecting unemployment now. #1: Is this a good career switch? #2 Are there any schools nearby Manhattan or Woodbridge NJ for this? #3: How much does it cost to go to these schools for X-ray Technician jobs, and could i get financial aid to pay for it? #4: How long does it take to complete a course if i went full-time?

Thanks

hey i was interested in beginning my career in x ray technincian tooo in ny, did you find answers to your questions? i need the same questions answered

Gabriella in Clarksville, Indiana

85 months ago

cc in Stuart, Florida said: hey i was interested in beginning my career in x ray technincian tooo in ny, did you find answers to your questions? i need the same questions answered

Perhaps it would be helpful if you read what these people have to say:
www.indeed.com/forum/job/radiologic-technologist.html

dcain in Edmond, Oklahoma

85 months ago

i currently have all the prerequisites completed to apply into OSU OKC's associate program for rad-tech, i was wondering if anyone could tell me how long it would take to finish the professional courses, and also what you would have to do for MRI, is a x-ray tech with cert in MRI the same as an MRI tech? any help would be appreciated, thank you

me in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

okay i know there is a lot of talk about the field being saturated, does that also apply to the los angeles or southern cali area as well? I figure by the time I'm out and graduated in 4 years, it will get better. Does anyone believe this? Or should i really just not pursue it. It sucks because this is the only field in healthcare that I like and am interested in.

85 months ago

me in Los Angeles, California said: okay i know there is a lot of talk about the field being saturated, does that also apply to the los angeles or southern cali area as well? I figure by the time I'm out and graduated in 4 years, it will get better. Does anyone believe this? Or should i really just not pursue it. It sucks because this is the only field in healthcare that I like and am interested in.

Hard to say. I'm in a similiar boat as you and have been watching the job market. Seems that there are jobs out there, yet with OCC and Cypress College(alone) kicking out 40+ people into the field a year. Ever think about relocating?

me in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

No I don't want to relocate..how long are the waiting lists at those schools ne way..im planning to apply to Los Angeles CC when i'm done w/my prereqs. I was also thinkin bout the Ultrasound at Cypress College but its so far from me...ugh

85 months ago

Radiology for both OCC and Cypress are 4 years at the moment. I got on the list for OCC just when it turned for 3 years. Same goes for all the schools down in San Diego.

wantajob in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

which is better radiology tech or ultrasound tech? once you are accepted into either of this program, how is the situation- stressful, time-consuming, not enuf social life or time for urself? how is physics related classes, as it's been years and I am scared of physics-not my favorite. Please help me..

wantajob in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

A little advise for those who wanna go into nursing field just for money and job stability and who does not have a little passion for this career- it will b very tough for you. It is very hectic, and you have to do alotta care-plans, do bedside nursing, hear patient's BS and still treat them good, read alot and know them when you go to clinicals. it can be very challenging. Critical thinking and ASSERTIVIENESS is a MUST in this field. If you have a passion for it, it will be better. But there are some people who hate nursing and graduated and some who dropped. After all you are dealing with patient's life and that is why you have to love the job otherwise your license can go if you do a bad mistake. You deal with doctors too. If you have questions about nursing, feel free to ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriella in Jeffersonville, Indiana

84 months ago

Wantajob in Houston, Texas said: A little advise for those who wanna go into nursing field just for money and job stability and who does not have a little passion for this career- it will b very tough for you. It is very hectic, and you have to do alotta care-plans, do bedside nursing, hear patient's BS and still treat them good, read alot and know them when you go to clinicals. it can be very challenging. Critical thinking and ASSERTIVIENESS is a MUST in this field. If you have a passion for it, it will be better. But there are some people who hate nursing and graduated and some who dropped. After all you are dealing with patient's life and that is why you have to love the job otherwise your license can go if you do a bad mistake. You deal with doctors too. If you have questions about nursing, feel free to ask.

All the above applies to radiologic technologists too...except the job stability part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dana in Arlington, Texas

84 months ago

kg in Los Angeles, California said: I'm taking my pre-requisites to get in to a hospital based Rad Tech program. I just did a site visit the other day and it seems like a very interesting field. They also said they make very good money. . . An Angio tech said he made $90,000 last year, a nuclear medicine guy said he makes over $34/hr, and the CT/MRI people said they make $35/hr. Does anyone have any experience with working in these areas and are these realistic incomes??[/QUOTE

That angio tech is working a lot of hours... sometimes you work till the cases are all done, so him making that much money is a alot of hours...or he takes call.. alot of factors to consider... our market is flooded!! in texas you can hardly find a PRN job and our hospital is talking about layoffs... and if the new health care bill gets passed, we all in health care just might be making less the mininum wage

Jane in Hemet, California

83 months ago

Janis in Scottsdale, Arizona said: Ace:

You are so right!!!! I would never give up my life as a Technologist to be a nurse. Longer requirements, and the work is not as rewarding! We may be labeled only as "support", but NO ER or TRAUMA hospital can stay open without our "support"! As far as I am concerned it is really TWO DIFFERENT jobs, or careers.

SUPPORT OUR PROFESSION!

hello janis of scottsdale....ur comment tells me that u must be a real X-ray technician...i was wondering if i can asked u some questions for my highschool career prodject. if u could answer them i would be in ur debt..^^...if possible could i have ur name too...

1. What is a tipical day for you on the job?
2. Have you ever experienced any accidents from exposure to
radiation? How did you handle that?
3. what would u say is the hardest part of your job?
4. what is the best part about your job?
5. what are your thoughts on the certification exam? Were you
nervious? Was the exam hard?
6. since technology is always changing do you still take classes
to keep up with the advance in technology?
7. What are some of the most wierd and gruesome x-rays you had to
take?

i hope (if you can) answer all my questions...and for anyone else who is an x-ray technician and happens to glance at this coment please fill free to answer them too...just remeber to state your name...thank you very much.

Jane in Hemet, California

83 months ago

FEMALE XRAY TECH in Dayton, Ohio said: I have been in the x-ray-CT field for 25 years at a few different Hospitals. Has anyone out there ever noticed that men, even the freshly graduated men don't have to do any flouro work like BE's or UGI's? The hospital I am at now is really bad about it. There are a few of the female techs that are starting to speak out and bring it to the attention of the supervisors. I was just wondering is other hospitals in other states have the same problem.

hello...your comment tells me that your a real X-ray technician.I was wondering if I can ask u some questions for my high school career project. If u could answer them I would be in your debt..^^...if possible could I have your name too...

1. What is a typical day for you on the job?
2. Have you ever experienced any accidents from exposure to
radiation? How did you handle that?
3. What would u say is the hardest part of your job?
4. What is the best part about your job?
5. What are your thoughts on the certification exam? Were you
nervous? Was the exam hard?
6. Since technology is always changing do you still take classes
to keep up with the advance in technology?
7. What are some of the most weird and gruesome x-rays you had to
take?

I hope (if you can) answer all my questions...and for anyone else who is an x-ray technician and happens to glance at this comment please fill free to answer them too...just remember to state your name...thank you very much.

Patricia5333 in philadelphia, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

FEMALE XRAY TECH in Dayton, Ohio said: I have been in the x-ray-CT field for 25 years at a few different Hospitals. Has anyone out there ever noticed that men, even the freshly graduated men don't have to do any flouro work like BE's or UGI's? The hospital I am at now is really bad about it. There are a few of the female techs that are starting to speak out and bring it to the attention of the supervisors. I was just wondering is other hospitals in other states have the same problem.

Is you ever wonder that dem guys is relegated to da OR

81 months ago

Patricia5333 in philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Is you ever wonder that dem guys is relegated to da OR

It is that "female" need to tip thing, to avoid harassment suits because of guys. It is also why you will never see male mammograhers in this country. We are the only country that lets woman dictate....in all other countries they get whomever they get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gail

80 months ago

You guys should sue. I am a woman who refuses to have
a woman do a mammogram so I am not getting one done.
A man can do a pap smear but not a mammogram?!
That's BS!!! I don't want a woman to touch me. They have
always been rude and I am never having a woman
do a mammogram again even if it means I do not
have one done. Why don't you sue? I think you
would win. GEC in Tulsa OK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriella in Jeffersonville, Indiana

80 months ago

Gail said: You guys should sue. I am a woman who refuses to have
a woman do a mammogram so I am not getting one done.
A man can do a pap smear but not a mammogram?!
That's BS!!! I don't want a woman to touch me. They have
always been rude and I am never having a woman
do a mammogram again even if it means I do not
have one done. Why don't you sue? I think you
would win. GEC in Tulsa OK.

Sue who? The employer? I've never had a bad experience when I've had a mammogram done. All the techs have been very nice. And yes, they've all been women.

Gail in Tulsa, Oklahoma

80 months ago

Somebody in the comment above mine mentioned
suing. I don't know who they would sue. I just
know that I will not let a woman touch my breasts
and it makes no sense not to let male techs do
the job. I have had a male perform a transvaginal
ultrasound and many pap smears. I see no reason
why a male cannot perform a mammogram. That is
certainly less invasive than both of the above
mentioned procedures.

80 months ago

Gail in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Somebody in the comment above mine mentioned
suing. I don't know who they would sue. I just
know that I will not let a woman touch my breasts
and it makes no sense not to let male techs do
the job. I have had a male perform a transvaginal
ultrasound and many pap smears. I see no reason
why a male cannot perform a mammogram. That is
certainly less invasive than both of the above
mentioned procedures.

I think you meant to say you would let a female touch your breasts? How about a Lesbian.
We are getting so "politically" correct, that the male technologists should get their acts together and form a LARGE class action suit for not being allowed to do mammos or tip females BE's. We are the only country that lets female patients dictate to which gender is allowed to do the exam! Even doctors have to have females in the room when they do examinations....it is getting way out of control. Everyone is looking for a reason to sue......the medical profession should stand up for themselves!

Gail in Tulsa, Oklahoma

80 months ago

No. I meant to say that I would NOT let a female
touch my breasts or any part of my body in a medical
situation. I resent greatly that my male dr. brings his
female nurse in the room when he performs a pap
smear, so I always bring my boyfriend, which means I
have a "witness" too. I feel very violated during these
procedures and when there are two of them it is worse.
Having my boyfriend there evens it out for me.
To repeat, you did not misread my statement above and I
meant what I wrote. I do not care what her sexual preference is.
I am not opposed to lesbians. I am just opposed to women
touching me in medical situations.

80 months ago

WOW!

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

80 months ago

donotapply in Turlock, California said: Registered is at the national level ARRT. Certified is just at the state level, and each state can have their own license structure. Some choose none at all. Those are the toughest states to get jobs. The coasts are far better, and closer to bigger cities as to getting jobs and better pay!

Actually, that isn't correct. Are you ARRT?

If you'll check your own ARRT website, their own description of the difference between 'certified' and 'registered' is
"Certification is the process of initially recognizing individuals who have satisfied certain standards within a profession. A person is certified by ARRT after graduating from an approved educational program, complying with the ethical and character standards, and passing a certification exam"
"Registration is the annual procedure required to maintain registration of the certification. ARRT registrants are those who, having already fulfilled the requirements for initial certification, continue to meet the requirements for annual registration. The ARRT annually registers the certificates of individuals who meet the following three criteria: agreeing to comply with the ARRT Rules and Regulations, continuing to comply with the ARRT Standards of Ethics and meeting the Continuing Education Requirements for Renewal of Registration"

Your best bet for this kind of information is to go to the source, rather than to an anonymous forum.

rt in phoenix arizona in Wickenburg, Arizona

80 months ago

Any one out there considering going to school to become a Rad Tech I would NOT waste your time, the field is flooded. I live in Phoenix, which is a very large city and there is absolutely nothing out there for job opportunity here or elsewhere. I even look online in different states as this is not where I am originally from. Schools keep pumping out students and promising jobs, and as an RT I can honestly say there are no opportunities. Even if you specialize in a different modality it is still tight! I would definitely advise going to school to become a Registered Nurse if you are considering the medical field!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Howard in Gilbert, Arizona

77 months ago

You gotta be kidding! I've been a nurse for 20 years. The job is not that hard compared to other things I have done. The pay in good but the nurses are horrible! Go Google " Horizontal Violence in Nursing" i. e. Passive-Agressive nurse on nurse attacks. No other profession that I know of has this. Nearly all nurses I have known and currently work with trade nurse from hell stories on a regular basis. Even the Az State Board Journal hard a cover on Horizontal Violence in Nursing a few months ago but of course there's no follow up and nothing is ever done about it. Why does this persist? Because if the nurse from hell ever gets called on her behavior (which is usually covered up by her boss and friend), she then walks across the street and gets 3 dollars an hour more and infects her new work place. If you act like that in accounting and enginering you get fired right away and spend 18 months looking for a job. So many of us wish we had never gone into nursing. And if you're a guy?
Watch out!! You've never seen harrassment and discrimination until you've entered the nursing trade.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

starting over in the OC in Lake Forest, California

77 months ago

Don't know how this went from the x-ray forum to nursing, but good news...I'm prequalified by the ARRT and finishing up my MA program this summer. Probably be a year or two before i can get into radiology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

buxome in alexandria, United States minor outlying islands

77 months ago

qweenuvharts in Owasso, Oklahoma said: I've been an x-ray Technologist for 20 years! I still love it! Yes, there are fluxes in the market for techs every 5-10 yrs, but in an area like Tulsa, OK... where there are numerous radiology schools pumping out @25 students/yrs x 5 schools we're slitting our own throat in this area of town. Employers think they can pay you starting/beginning tech salary & unfortunately with the flood of techs in the area employers are getting away with it so most of the seasoned techs settle or move on. I've been traveling the last few years AND love it mostly. Working 6-9 months out of the year is great IF I manage my $$ right! I vacation when & where I want and take time when I want to. Not bad being semi-retired @40 something! and to those who don't like the profession.. get on out! some of us Love what we do and do it well! find your passion.

where does one sign up for a traveling R.T.?

priccie32

76 months ago

Janis in Scottsdale, Arizona said: Mark, I am from that area, and there are no schools in Oceanside????
If you do go to school make sure you go to a "full" school and not one with a limited program. I know Maric is in Vista? Is that the one you are speaking of?
They are limited. The only full Radiology School in the San Diego area is Mesa College!

Janis

I just found out that pima medical institute has one too..

Heather in Raleigh, North Carolina

76 months ago

I would just like to say that I love this field!...But the job market is pretty sad, I have managed to land a prn job and I am greatful for it because after applying to so many jobs and going to so many interviews it is obvious the more experience you have the more likely to get the job. It doesnt matter how qualified you are or if you really would do a better job, the more years on your resume, the better. I am staying positive though, as I hope many of you do. In a month I am going to MRI school and I'm just hoping my chances of getting a full time job will increase.

RT in Oceanside, California

75 months ago

kg in Los Angeles, California said: I'm taking my pre-requisites to get in to a hospital based Rad Tech program. I just did a site visit the other day and it seems like a very interesting field. They also said they make very good money. . . An Angio tech said he made $90,000 last year, a nuclear medicine guy said he makes over $34/hr, and the CT/MRI people said they make $35/hr. Does anyone have any experience with working in these areas and are these realistic incomes??

Angio techs do make good money. Downfall to that is that you are going to be on your feet for long periods of time in a surgery setting. You will also have to take call and more than likely work more than 40 hours a week. As you probably already know you will also have to have get a regular x-ray license and a fluoro license and keep up with the continuing education. There is a lot to learn in angio...but it will take up a LOT of time and can be stressful.

taurus20red in Lithonia, Georgia

75 months ago

I am an MRI Tech who lives in Atlanta,Ga. I dont know about pay rates in California but in Ga and southeastern states, Ct and MRI techs dont get paid $35 hr. I dont get paid that much and I have four yrs experience. They will probably start off at $20-25 hr. over here. Pay rates in this field really depend on what part of the country you live in. I've heard the cost of living in California is very high, so maybe they do get paid that much out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

honey in Pasadena, California

75 months ago

is anybody know how the x-ray jobe market in orange county ca. doing? scince

I m thinking to study it

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.