Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 240)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

mike RT(R) in Kennesaw, Georgia

78 months ago

donotapply in Turlock, California said: BE patient if you are able. I have been in the field a long time, and have seen cylces of too many techs, and then not enough. I couldn't get a job out of school, finally landed one in NY...in the early 70's. And it has happened three or four times since!! We always bounce back!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mike RT(R) in Kennesaw, Georgia

78 months ago

I've been in the field since 1984 ,and I've been in 2 cycles so far were there has been a shortage,and way to many tech's .You just have to be patient ,and wait.There will come a point when enrollments at the schools will drop because people will realize there are no job's ,and then a year,and half will go by ,and the demand will be there...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lina RT(R) in Sacramento, California

75 months ago

I have just graduated from x-ray school for two months. It was hard to look for a job at first, but you need to have patient. You will have plenty of time looking for jobs because once you passed your ARRT, you still need your CRT to work in CA and the process is about 1-2 months waiting. You can't apply for any job without those licenses. I have to say that I am very fortunate to get hired by the clinical sites that I used to intern for. Although, the jobs are Per Diem and Part time, I really like it because you have the opportunity to make money just like a full time employee from those areas. I have to admit that jobs are hard to find nowadays for x-ray field. There are a lot of Per Diem and Call in positions in northern CA. However, those are usually for connection or hiring within. So, if you do get into an x-ray program, remember to do well in those clinical sites because you will never know that they might be the one who will offer you the position after you're done -- do not burn bridges.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marks. in Sacramento, California

75 months ago

Lina RT(R) in Sacramento, California said: I have just graduated from x-ray school for two months. It was hard to look for a job at first, but you need to have patient. You will have plenty of time looking for jobs because once you passed your ARRT, you still need your CRT to work in CA and the process is about 1-2 months waiting. You can't apply for any job without those licenses. I have to say that I am very fortunate to get hired by the clinical sites that I used to intern for. Although, the jobs are Per Diem and Part time, I really like it because you have the opportunity to make money just like a full time employee from those areas. I have to admit that jobs are hard to find nowadays for x-ray field. There are a lot of Per Diem and Call in positions in northern CA. However, those are usually for connection or hiring within. So, if you do get into an x-ray program, remember to do well in those clinical sites because you will never know that they might be the one who will offer you the position after you're done -- do not burn bridges.

I'm also in Sacramento and start x-ray tech school next year. What program did you go through? I read all the posts on here and I'm getting more and more nervous if I picked the right career....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

z3 in Grass Valley, California

74 months ago

Lina RT(R) in Sacramento, California said: I have just graduated from x-ray school for two months. It was hard to look for a job at first, but you need to have patient. You will have plenty of time looking for jobs because once you passed your ARRT, you still need your CRT to work in CA and the process is about 1-2 months waiting. You can't apply for any job without those licenses. I have to say that I am very fortunate to get hired by the clinical sites that I used to intern for. Although, the jobs are Per Diem and Part time, I really like it because you have the opportunity to make money just like a full time employee from those areas. I have to admit that jobs are hard to find nowadays for x-ray field. There are a lot of Per Diem and Call in positions in northern CA. However, those are usually for connection or hiring within. So, if you do get into an x-ray program, remember to do well in those clinical sites because you will never know that they might be the one who will offer you the position after you're done -- do not burn bridges.

im just starting rad tech school at yuba city college. pretty nervous about landing a job after reading these posts. i guess i should just make the best impression in my clinicals to hopefully score a job in the future. my concern would be that this is everyones idea in the program and competition will be tough with existing rad techs as well. do you think the outcome is worth it? i want to do this, but am concerned i may be wasting my time when i could be working towards a better career market...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Roy in Texico, New Mexico

74 months ago

I would not recommend the radiology field at this time the schools have already pumped out way too many students and flooded the market thus no jobs not too mention salaries have decreased and people are being laid off. But if your heart is set on going into the allied health field I would recommen physical therapy assistant, occupational therapist or RN those are the fields in demand now. Hope this helps you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

z3 in Grass Valley, California said: im just starting rad tech school at yuba city college. pretty nervous about landing a job after reading these posts. i guess i should just make the best impression in my clinicals to hopefully score a job in the future. my concern would be that this is everyones idea in the program and competition will be tough with existing rad techs as well. do you think the outcome is worth it? i want to do this, but am concerned i may be wasting my time when i could be working towards a better career market...

I'm going to the Yuba program in 2011. It will end up being a 2 year wait to start the program. Of course that's after almost 2 years of pre-req's. I too am very nervous about what the job market is going to be like when I graduate in 2013!!!If I had not put so much time and effort into trying to get into this program, I would probably go for something else; but I can't wait this long and take all those classes just to jump ship now. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

z3 in Grass Valley, California

74 months ago

marks. in Sacramento, California said: I'm going to the Yuba program in 2011. It will end up being a 2 year wait to start the program. Of course that's after almost 2 years of pre-req's. I too am very nervous about what the job market is going to be like when I graduate in 2013!!!If I had not put so much time and effort into trying to get into this program, I would probably go for something else; but I can't wait this long and take all those classes just to jump ship now. Good Luck!

i feel the same way about putting all the effort into pre-reqs, but wasting 2 years in the program with no job at the end would be awful. not to mention ive pretty much forgot everything since ive been on a 3 year wait list and started pre-reqs about 5 years ago. im a different person now and really not sure if i got the energy to put into studying 24/7 for something that is unsure in the job market. on the other hand, everything is unsure in the job market today. i did a job search and couldnt find crap for full-time RT's within 100 miles...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Howard in Gilbert, Arizona

74 months ago

Hey,You know what? JUMP SHIP!I had my 21 yr old in a local X-Ray tech school in Phoenix. It took some compeating to get in but as the program was $28,000 he got in within 6 months. The local Community College which was way cheaper but was 2 or 3 years pre reqs then a 3 yr wait then a 2 yr. program . So he would have been nearing 30 yrs old when he finished that one. Well after 1 semester in his school I found out that 4 months after graduation the previous graduating class had 6 people out of 30 with a job and they were part time with no benefits. So I yanked him out and lost $5,000 for the one semester but that's better than losing another $23,000 and wasting 2 yrs. for him to be partially employed. Learn when to cut your losses. Get Out Now! PTA and OT are good right now and are much cheaper and easier to get into. As for nursing? I became one 20 yrs ago when I was 38 yrs. old. The pay is good, the jobs not bad, but it's the nurses. They're passive-agressive and fight with each other constantly for no reason(and that WILL include you). If you don't believe me Google " Horizontal Violence in Nursing". No other trade has that much infighting. I will never expose my son to that trade. Especially if you're a guy you need to stay away from nursing. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Howard in Gilbert, Arizona

74 months ago

Hey,You know what? JUMP SHIP!I had my 21 yr old in a local X-Ray tech school in Phoenix. It took some compeating to get in but as the program was $28,000 he got in within 6 months. The local Community College which was way cheaper but was 2 or 3 years pre reqs then a 3 yr wait then a 2 yr. program . So he would have been nearing 30 yrs old when he finished that one. Well after 1 semester in his school I found out that 4 months after graduation the previous graduating class had 6 people out of 30 with a job and they were part time with no benefits. So I yanked him out and lost $5,000 for the one semester but that's better than losing another $23,000 and wasting 2 yrs. for him to be partially employed. Learn when to cut your losses. Get Out Now! PTA and OT are good right now and are much cheaper and easier to get into. As for nursing? I became one 20 yrs ago when I was 38 yrs. old. The pay is good, the jobs not bad, but it's the nurses. They're passive-agressive and fight with each other constantly for no reason(and that WILL include you). If you don't believe me Google " Horizontal Violence in Nursing". No other trade has that much infighting. I will never expose my son to that trade. Especially if you're a guy you need to stay away from nursing. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shani in Newbury Park, California

74 months ago

I he current job marketam also starting radiologic technologist program and wanted to know about the current job market.

jwylde in Brooklyn, New York

74 months ago

z3 in Grass Valley, California said: im just starting rad tech school at yuba city college. pretty nervous about landing a job after reading these posts. i guess i should just make the best impression in my clinicals to hopefully score a job in the future. my concern would be that this is everyones idea in the program and competition will be tough with existing rad techs as well. do you think the outcome is worth it? i want to do this, but am concerned i may be wasting my time when i could be working towards a better career market...

I am just starting too and it is making me verrrrry nervous reading all these posts!!! However, it is a 2 year program so, possibly by the time the two years is up it could be better? (I CERTAINLY HOPE SO ATLEAST!!!!!)

admac in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

Stay away from field of Radiology! I've got 15 years experience and this is the worse I've seen. The hospitals are cutting back in every section, looking for cheap labor, only hiring PRN, and white gloving to remove unwanted employee's. Rad Tech graduates are bottle necking, too many for each job, and creating a supply that will take years to place. Don't take the gamble that things will be fine by the time you finish school, we are living in times that we've never seen before...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Which program did you graduate from?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

admac in Atlanta, Georgia said: Stay away from field of Radiology! I've got 15 years experience and this is the worse I've seen. The hospitals are cutting back in every section, looking for cheap labor, only hiring PRN, and white gloving to remove unwanted employee's. Rad Tech graduates are bottle necking, too many for each job, and creating a supply that will take years to place. Don't take the gamble that things will be fine by the time you finish school, we are living in times that we've never seen before...

wow, that's really aggravating!!! But maybe a time and money saver so thanks!!!!
Since your in the medical field, what would you suggest (besides RN) to go into that is decent money and may need people in the near future>>?

74 months ago

Which program did you graduate from?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

z3 in Grass Valley, California said: i feel the same way about putting all the effort into pre-reqs, but wasting 2 years in the program with no job at the end would be awful. not to mention ive pretty much forgot everything since ive been on a 3 year wait list and started pre-reqs about 5 years ago. im a different person now and really not sure if i got the energy to put into studying 24/7 for something that is unsure in the job market. on the other hand, everything is unsure in the job market today. i did a job search and couldnt find crap for full-time RT's within 100 miles...

Since we're going to the same program, I'd like to chat with you if you don't mind. I havent had the opportunity to talk to anyone that is also going to Yuba. i_be_mark@sbcglobal.net

admac in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

Have done the A.A. path and B.S. path to survive. Can't say there is a perfect field to go into now, everyone has been told to go to the health field for dependable jobs. Not sure what's going to happen, there will be more sick people in the future with less services.

starting over in OC in Lake Forest, California

74 months ago

Don't go by the words of few about the market. Do your own research. There's plenty of jobs out there, just might not be wherever your living at the moment. I have friends that are in radiology and they get emails or calls from recruters each week. I've finished my AS in medical assisting and found a job a week after graduating. Starting radiology next year. Heck they are building 6 hospitals in the county that I live in...healthcare can't be that bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Oh by the way. Before you say to yourself "hey I'm moving to california!" Keep a few things in mind. It will cost you about 8k just to resettle and you will have to make 80k per person to survive (having a house, a life, etc). My wife and I know this from experience and also took 3 years to resettle.

74 months ago

What's really annoying and not helping with anything is articles online you find about "upcoming careers in 2010" THE TOP LISTED CAREER IS HEALTHCARE!

74 months ago

I am fully aware of the cost to relocate and saving MINIMAL 8g's prior to doing so. I relocated to NY from TN at the age of 18 ON MY OWN and have managed this rediculous cost of living for the past 6 years. Need to slow down and enjoy life :)

74 months ago

jwylde in Brooklyn, New York said: I am fully aware of the cost to relocate and saving MINIMAL 8g's prior to doing so. I relocated to NY from TN at the age of 18 ON MY OWN and have managed this rediculous cost of living for the past 6 years. Need to slow down and enjoy life :)

Yea I know, but we didn't realize how much work it was. Just wanted to help others before making a move like we did. Also ur right, need to slow down and enjoy life. It only happens once :)

74 months ago

yep, only happens once, and thank you for the advice, much appreciated....
I still think the only way to truly make real $, you have to have your own business...... but then you have less time to enjoy life because your always running a business, lol- catch 22.......
So perhaps a hotdog stand by the beach in california.... (LOL!!!!) or a bar on the beach in the caribbean .... LOL

qweenuvharts in Fort Defiance, Arizona

74 months ago

I AM SO WITH YOU THERE! I'M SURE WE CAN FIND SOME ROLLERBLADER THAT NEEDS AND X-RAY...;0
I agree that jobs in the 'prime' areas are short to nil. I had one place offer to keep me If I dropped my temp wage to $15 (student wage in OKLA). They were not-to-subtle about replacing me. They'd even wanted me to train my replacement. (not) I took a travel job of all places to Nashville, but that too was If you don't do what WE Want, WE will replace you..they actually threatened to call the sheriff IF I wasn't out of the apt by 8am (12hrs after my assignment ended) Jerks! Lesson learned. I took a job in the middle of nowhere, but I really like it except I'm 40 miles from 'town'. But it's job security, mostly. Best of Luck. They'll always make threats while they can intimidate, but those of us who dare have confidence in our experience..it helps. Best wishes! Healthcare workers will always be needed...only the few that are good will remain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Nobody is saying that healthcare is all that bad first lets define healthcare it is a huge field that runs a gammut of support staff to brain surgeon not all branches of healthcare are in demand as much as others. I agree with you that there will always be a demand for health care workers as long as there are people. I have been in the radiology field since 1984 and right now overall this field is flooded with new grads. By the way who are these recruiters names and numbers that email your friends about all of these jobs every week you conveniently left those details out of your comment.

tfoster32 in Chandler, Arizona

74 months ago

I posted this on the MRI forum.
There is not as much need for xray techs as MRI techs but they still go threw techs like water.
There is a company in Phoenix that has built 25 clinics in three states in the last 5 years. They pay well. Top of the line 3T scanners. Beutifull imaging centers. The down side is they treat there techs like dogs. 8 hours no breaks no lunch. Will fire you in a second. But they are always hiring MR Techs, and X ray Techs. they go threw techs like crazy that is why they are always hiring.
Send your resume to Grant, at SIMON MED IMAGING. They have a web page.

74 months ago

Roy in Texico, New Mexico said: Nobody is saying that healthcare is all that bad first lets define healthcare it is a huge field that runs a gammut of support staff to brain surgeon not all branches of healthcare are in demand as much as others. I agree with you that there will always be a demand for health care workers as long as there are people. I have been in the radiology field since 1984 and right now overall this field is flooded with new grads. By the way who are these recruiters names and numbers that email your friends about all of these jobs every week you conveniently left those details out of your comment.

I conveniently left those details out? Sure I have complete access to his emails (sarcasim). A better question would have been "Could you ask him who the recruiters are and provide us with the information?" Roy you seem to have a really bad attitude...might wanna check into that. Anyway, I'll ask him the next time I see him.

74 months ago

It is not about attitude just reality you don't have to take my word for how bad the current market is for xray just ask anybody in these forums who has been in the field a while besides educators and they will pretty much tell u the same story.

wilsoj35

74 months ago

Janis in Scottsdale, Arizona said: Ace:

You are so right!!!! I would never give up my life as a Technologist to be a nurse. Longer requirements, and the work is not as rewarding! We may be labeled only as "support", but NO ER or TRAUMA hospital can stay open without our "support"! As far as I am concerned it is really TWO DIFFERENT jobs, or careers.

SUPPORT OUR PROFESSION!

So you would reccomend this field? I am a freshman in college and am seeking a good job in the Health sciences. Do you feel this career is a smart move to make? I'll have a lot of student loans to pay back when I get out and I need something that can help me pay them off.

Gabriella in Jeffersonville, Indiana

74 months ago

32 months later and this thread is still going... To those of you who want to become techs, go ahead, go to school. But remember this, it may be YEARS before you find a job in the field. People have been posting just that for the past 32 months, and apparently people will be asking about the job market until they get the answer they want.

I've been looking for another RT position for over 2 years now and am currently working outside the profession....but STILL looking. The job market's horrible all around, but the market for techs is even worse due to the fact that the supply greatly outweighs the demand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

74 months ago

Gabriella in Jeffersonville, Indiana said: 32 months later and this thread is still going... To those of you who want to become techs, go ahead, go to school. But remember this, it may be YEARS before you find a job in the field. People have been posting just that for the past 32 months, and apparently people will be asking about the job market until they get the answer they want.

I've been looking for another RT position for over 2 years now and am currently working outside the profession....but STILL looking. The job market's horrible all around, but the market for techs is even worse due to the fact that the supply greatly outweighs the demand.

Right Gabriella and things don't change? If they didn't we would still be in the Great Depression. Your future is manifested by which attitude and perspective you chose. They people who thought that the Great Depression was survivable rose out of it -- made something of it. The radiography job market is not even close in comparison - so please save the drama.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I am with you all the way people just don't want to face the facts of the current situation ther has been and still is a glut of xray techs out there. Radiation therapy is worse but each year there is always a new class of students. There are people who graduated in 07 still looking for work. Fortunately, some schools are closing and others are seeing there enrollments dwindle so maybe some people are starting to wake up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Fairbanks, Alaska

74 months ago

I'm 38 and have just spent the last year doing all my prereqs. This spring I'll be submitting my radiology packet and hoping Im one of the six students chosen to begin the program next fall. I stumbles across this site and am now panicked. Is this field really that bad off right now? Because I have alot of student loans to pay back after graduation and honestly feel I'll be to old to go back to school. Ive wanted to do this since I was fifteen, finally there and now am scared to death I wont find a job Please help!

74 months ago

I am going to tellyou the samething i have told other people who are thinking about entering this field now is not a good time because it has been flooded with too many new grads for a while and they just keep pumping them out. although this field does cycle between a glut of techs and then shortages i thought the next shortage would be in 2010 but it is only worse with all of the online programs flooding the market. However if your heart is set on the medical field I would recommend physical therapy assistant speech therapy, or occupational therapy those are the hot fields now they are where we were 10 years ago in demand. Whatever you decide to do I would recommend you do your homework before going into xray right now, in other words go out to some hospitals and talk to some technologists in the field who also train students and get feedback. Ihope this helps you in making your decision look before you leap.

angel care in Hendersonville, North Carolina

73 months ago

Alyssa in Greenville, South Carolina said: I just moved to Greenville, SC from West Palm Beach, FL. I can NOT find an xray tech job to save my life! I thought it was just the area, but reading everyone's comments, it seems like I'm not the only one struggling! The only job interview I've had offered me $12.00/hour- are you kidding me? We are worth way more than that!

I know what you are sating. in NC anyone can do xrays ass long as the dr shows them how. I challenged the CNA test and passed and added it to my xray/ I sub contract with several urgebt care centers 17-20 an hour.....check us out www.angel-care.os

angel care in Hendersonville, North Carolina

73 months ago

Alyssa in Greenville, South Carolina said: I just moved to Greenville, SC from West Palm Beach, FL. I can NOT find an xray tech job to save my life! I thought it was just the area, but reading everyone's comments, it seems like I'm not the only one struggling! The only job interview I've had offered me $12.00/hour- are you kidding me? We are worth way more than that!

I know what you are sating. in NC anyone can do xrays ass long as the dr shows them how. I challenged the CNA test and passed and added it to my xray/ I sub contract with several urgebt care centers 17-20 an hour.....check us out www.angel-care.os

Roy in Portales, New Mexico

73 months ago

Alyssa your comment is a prime example of what happens when a field is flooded with too many new grads and the schools just keep pumping them out. It is is simple supply and demand there are way too many techs and too few jobs so this is what happens. Salaries bottom out and older people with lots of experience either can't find new opportunities or they get laid off or there pay cut. Heck I know some new grads that are willing to work for free just to develop their skills. Things will never improve until the following happens: A) Schools start closing down B) Prospective students start doing their homework and stop believing the lies that the schools feed them about all the opportunities in this field that actually don't exist. The arrt has proposed a sanction that may help by requiring that all programs must be associates degree but that won't take effect until 2015 which is no help now.
Until the supply is turned off demand for techs will continue to suffer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

annyli in San Jose, California

73 months ago

kg in Los Angeles, California said: I'm taking my pre-requisites to get in to a hospital based Rad Tech program. I just did a site visit the other day and it seems like a very interesting field. They also said they make very good money. . . An Angio tech said he made $90,000 last year, a nuclear medicine guy said he makes over $34/hr, and the CT/MRI people said they make $35/hr. Does anyone have any experience with working in these areas and are these realistic incomes??

Hi I am a student in the bay area.
I think LA and SF area should be pretty close.
The incomes are very realistic, General Technologist is $25 (state) to $40 (mammo and CT @ a private hospital)

angio and MRI are more specialized so they should be +$5-10 more/hr

also, CTs and MRIs since they are more specialized and scarce, they get paid OT easily...but...it might take around 3-5 years to get cross trained/hired into CT...and MRI longer (based on my interviews with those techs).

My only dissapointment is that I got in at the bad time. When I graduate (2011), I will have to get any perdiem job available (usually the weekend or late shifts) just to get my foot in the door.

We are in bad times right now, Respiratory Therapists on the other hand seems to be a growing one...but not much room of expansion. (as RT we can specialize into other areas)

Good Luck!

reformist in Hackensack, New Jersey

69 months ago

Don't believe all this hype about so many jobs for Radiologic Technicians. It is propaganda perpetrated by the X-ray Technician and Radiologic schools that are trying to get your money. My former classmates and I have been unable to find a job after graduation in 2009. They fooled us all into thinking that this profession offered plenty of job opportunities. They have simply stolen our money and wasted our time. All the reasons why there are no jobs posted here are true, but the schools that are only interested in getting your money don't tell you this, and I assume that people who publish this crap are in on it too. Pick another field unless you want to get screwed like us. So many people have gotten fooled like me, that I assume I will be out of a job for a long time unless I go back to school and spend more money and time learning something else. I regret it big time!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

starving tech in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

68 months ago

well. Glad you have been in the market for 20 years which means you are oblivious to what is actually going on. Shows your lack of intelligence

starving tech in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

68 months ago

Honestly if a hospital wants to higher only women let them slit their own throat when it takes 5 of them to shoot a portable KUB cause the patient is 350LBS. So you want to be sexist go ahead. Have fun with that land monster.

Gabriella in Jeffersonville, Indiana

68 months ago

This thread is over 3 years old now and people are still saying the same thing...the field is flooded. Has anyone else noticed this? I can't believe I'm still getting email notices on this thread for this long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Miami, Florida

67 months ago

I graduated in 12/2009 and I'm unable to find employment either part time or full time. Only 3 students of 20 were able to find employment after graduation one full time earning $14 per hour and the other two part time. Going through a tough program and getting no return on my investment is devastating. If you want to become a part of the stats of unemployed techs be my guest. Unless you have previous employed (not clinical) experience as a tech you will NOT get hired......Research and do not listen to your schools opinion. Their doors are waiting for a sucker to walk through like me wanting to change my life for the better. No one deserves to fail unintentionally. The market will not get better by the time you graduate! Don't end up stuck like so many techs out there educated, certified, and unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roy in Portales, New Mexico

67 months ago

Finally, somebody is telling it like it really is. Sorry for your predicament, but the schools don't care they just want your money wether you find a job or not they could care less. Hopefully, some programs will start to close if perspective students would wise up and do their homework and not enter a field that has been flooded for the past 4 or 5 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gec in Tulsa, Oklahoma

67 months ago

And if you are a man, there is a lot they won't let you do after you get out of school. For example they won't let you do mammograms so that's one place you can't work. I personally do not want a woman to do my mammogram and I feel if a man can do a pap smear he should be allowed to do a mammogram. There should be one tech at each facility for the women who prefer that a man does this. It would give the men more job opportunities and is ridiculous. They do everything else in medicine that is much more invasive to my privacy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

XrayManBlue in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

qweenuvharts in Owasso, Oklahoma said: I've been an x-ray Technologist for 20 years! I still love it! Yes, there are fluxes in the market for techs every 5-10 yrs, but in an area like Tulsa, OK... where there are numerous radiology schools pumping out @25 students/yrs x 5 schools we're slitting our own throat in this area of town. Employers think they can pay you starting/beginning tech salary & unfortunately with the flood of techs in the area employers are getting away with it so most of the seasoned techs settle or move on. I've been traveling the last few years AND love it mostly. Working 6-9 months out of the year is great IF I manage my $$ right! I vacation when & where I want and take time when I want to. Not bad being semi-retired @40 something! and to those who don't like the profession.. get on out! some of us Love what we do and do it well! find your passion.

Hi queen, not sure if you still read this forum as you posted so long ago but I hope you do. Any recommendations for getting into travel? I also LOVE being a tech, if I had it all to do again I would, except for over estimating my job security. I am single with no kids and would like to see what the world has to offer outside of Philly, (we still have the best food :) Any info would be much appreciated. Have a blessed day.
joeytxray@msn.com

qweenuvharts in Chinle, Arizona

67 months ago

Hey, Yes, traveling is great & I heard thru the 'grapevine' (hope it's true) that travel techs are picking up. With employer costs going up this may have facilitated the change. I'd suggest you get online, check out numerous travel agencies, TALK to techs that are traveling (& their RTtravel magazines). Things change dramatically with agencies so be informed AND GET IT IN WRITING, becuz they are notorious for 'changing the rules'. I once got stuck paying for a set of pots&pans, a coffee table and 2 washcloths to the tune of @$500! I got duped and didn't even get the stuff...so much for THAT reference. Just ck them out thoroughly and then have fun and enjoy it!Great exp.

Garret in Alma, Michigan

65 months ago

I completely agree with those of you who are saying that the market is flooded, the case is very true in Michigan as well. I graduated in 2010 and was tech of year for my class, and I could not find a stable job. I was one of a few in my class that secured a contingent position (I average working once a month). I threw in the towel for now, I will remain certified until I finish medical school. As just stated, I will be going to medical school now in order to assure I will have a stable future (provided I can finish).
For those of you who are reading this forum, then still asking how the job market is: you might as well get the degree because you won't listen to reason. Not your fault, the schools have lied to you for so long and you have invested so much (time and money) that it is hard to call it quits on your dream. Also, I am not just a greedy tech who doesn't want you to flood the market further, I am no longer actively seeking a position, so heed my advice if you will. All of my friends are still searching, day in and day out, to now avail. Sorry for offering such a grim perspective, as many have, but at least now you can say someone warned you. Most job markets are very poor right now, if you have the ability, go to medical school or become and engineer. This is not likely a possibility for most due to the complexity and time required, but it is a solid alternative. If you still choose to go through with becoming an x-ray tech, I wish you the best of luck and can tell you it is a very fun and interesting profession (maybe not barium enemas so much, though!).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

65 months ago

This thread was started almost 4yrs ago and things are only getting worse.
Garret said it best. I left the field of Radiology this year for greener pasteurs in IT. The world is wide open for me now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.