Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 272 of 272)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6   

Diana in Kalamazoo, Michigan

30 months ago

MJ in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Jman,

I am the one who waiting for interview for X-ray school. According to your experience, it must be not a good choice to study. Anyway...was it hard to study?

No not hard to study but now its hard to find a job and after going to school for 2 years and expect great pay FORGET IT...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

brian g in Yanceyville, North Carolina

29 months ago

Do not become a X-ray tech the market is so flooded it is unreal and if you do you will not find a job the market is goin to be so flooded that it cant keep this pace, I have been a tech for 11 years and I know people who graduated 3 years ago and still not working thanks brian

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

royce456 in Indio, California

26 months ago

mich in Long Beach, California said: I am sopose to finish my 2nd year in rad tech school in aug. Im concerned about the job market? everyone keeps saying go nursing Im confused.

I wold suggest going into a multi-modality registration , or seek nursing the radiology field is flooded have been in radiology for 21 years it has taken me 35 days to obtain a per diem position. The market is flooded and will remain so for an undetermined amount of time .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kadel in West Covina, California

25 months ago

Wow, these comments amaze me, heartwarming and heartfelt.....LOL

Just curious as to which schools did some of you attend? I mean, student loans, really?

Those who take shortcuts to obtain a certificate, usually wind up jobless. There's plenty of schools out there that will "take your money" that should be the first clue.

Community colleges offer these programs, for next to nothing.

I want to hear from the So Cal graduates, Mt. Sac, LACC, etc. I want to hear from those Rad Tech grads who can't find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rgood1970 in Texico, New Mexico

25 months ago

You are completely out of touch with what is going on in these fields. I am a radiation therapist and radiologic technologist arrt number 230643 the market has been flooded for at least 5 years, thanks mostly to community colleges. We have students who rotate through our center from amarillo community college and the past two classes maybe 2 out of 20 students actually found full time jobs and the rest are fighting for a prn in clovis new mexico yes clovis. Furthermore, going to a community college is not that cheap especially if mommy and daddy aren't footing the bill. People in these programs invest lots of time and money and not too mention, the cost of living while you are attending school isn't cheap either. You sound like some spoiled rich kid who lives in beverly hills who was born with a silver spoon in your mouth. News flash that isn't the real world for the working man!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica Fletcher in Corpus Christi, Texas

25 months ago

Well I know for a fact that one of the biggest hospital that hires most of the modalities down here is laying people of and cutting hours of those that don't lay off.This is even in their little satellite regional hospitals in the area. Its getting to the point that my clinic is getting applicants from them.

I don't believe the market has turned around at all..

Kadel in West Covina, California

25 months ago

rgood1970 in Texico, New Mexico said: You are completely out of touch with what is going on in these fields. I am a radiation therapist and radiologic technologist arrt number 230643 the market has been flooded for at least 5 years, thanks mostly to community colleges. We have students who rotate through our center from amarillo community college and the past two classes maybe 2 out of 20 students actually found full time jobs and the rest are fighting for a prn in clovis new mexico yes clovis. Furthermore, going to a community college is not that cheap especially if mommy and daddy aren't footing the bill. People in these programs invest lots of time and money and not too mention, the cost of living while you are attending school isn't cheap either. You sound like some spoiled rich kid who lives in beverly hills who was born with a silver spoon in your mouth. News flash that isn't the real world for the working man!!!!

See, that's exactly why you are you and you are where you at. (Mentally and physically). I specifically asked about grads from local colleges in S. Cal. Then you go running about, Bev Hills and start making accusations. Pay attention, contrary to popular belief, it's actually free to do so. Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

spira in Eugene, Oregon

25 months ago

qweenuvharts in Owasso, Oklahoma said: I've been an x-ray Technologist for 20 years! I still love it! Yes, there are fluxes in the market for techs every 5-10 yrs, but in an area like Tulsa, OK... where there are numerous radiology schools pumping out @25 students/yrs x 5 schools we're slitting our own throat in this area of town. Employers think they can pay you starting/beginning tech salary & unfortunately with the flood of techs in the area employers are getting away with it so most of the seasoned techs settle or move on. I've been traveling the last few years AND love it mostly. Working 6-9 months out of the year is great IF I manage my $$ right! I vacation when & where I want and take time when I want to. Not bad being semi-retired @40 something! and to those who don't like the profession.. get on out! some of us Love what we do and do it well! find your passion.

I actually want to become an x ray tech myself. I am super happy for you for working hard and now being able to semi retire at 40!! Have `you done all this working as an x-ray tech?... Where should I start? I have my AA in criminal justice. I know a trade (construction). BUt I'm 28, and I want to do this. I would love your help. YOU ROCK!

-spira

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

spira in Eugene, Oregon

25 months ago

I actually want to become an x ray tech myself. I am super happy for you for working hard and now being able to semi retire at 40!! Have `you done all this working as an x-ray tech?... Where should I start? I have my AA in criminal justice. I know a trade (construction). BUt I'm 28, and I want to do this. I would love your help. YOU ROCK!

Vic in Sharon, Massachusetts

25 months ago

I just graduated in June from a class of 11. Only 2 were able to get hospital Jobs right after school, though it was part time. I didn't find a part time until November and thats only because I was lucky enough my professor knew someone at a clinic. Most of my classmates have jobs by now although not fulltime. I know three or four of them still out there looking.

Jolomite in Eugene, Oregon

23 months ago

spira in Eugene, Oregon said: I actually want to become an x ray tech myself. I am super happy for you for working hard and now being able to semi retire at 40!! Have `you done all this working as an x-ray tech?... Where should I start? I have my AA in criminal justice . I know a trade ( construction ). BUt I'm 28, and I want to do this. I would love your help. YOU ROCK!

In Oregon you can attend Oregon Institute of Technology (Kalamath Falls, Bachelor's degree), Lynn-Benton Community College (AA Degree) or Portland Community College's Radiologic Technology program (AA Degree). The Community college degrees require prerequisites of A&P, Algebra, Chemistry, etc. . ., and have limited space. The time, rigors of study and $$ spent is worth the effort if you truly love the field. I was 34 when I entered PCC's program, I graduated in '09. I will admit that I AM biased and would recommend PCC over LBCC due to the rigors and depth of study that I was offered compared to the style of teaching at LBCC. OIT produces high quality techs, but many employers want Techs with AA degrees due to the ways in which the students are taught. PCC offers the only didactic program in Oregon, meaning that you are in school and shooting X-Rays constantly over the two year program. Pursue your dream, hang in there and do NOT settle for less. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

loralei in Coral Gables, Florida

23 months ago

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas said: 1. No it is not a good career switch. 2. I'm sure there are plenty of schools. 3. Community college is reasonable and yes you can get financial aid. 4. 2 years if you ever hope to be employed. But don't be fooled there are lay-offs. Right now there are NO jobs. I'm a NMT with PET/CT and was laid-off after 10 years and all I can find is PRN. I would not have this PRN job if it were not for friends, which you make after years in the profession. Anyone graduating from the program now is not employable. Sorry but that is the reality. Tech's with 5+ years are having a difficult time finding work. I'm thinking it may take me another year before I am FT again.

GO TO NURSING SCHOOL. I have been a Rad Tech for over 30 years. I am also Certified in MRI and there are NO Jobs. Everything available is PRN work. Good luck trying to get good pay and benefits. I have never seen anything like this in my career life. I always could find a job, sometimes, you even got sign on bonuses. NOT ANYMORE. And it's the ARRT's fault for continuing to crediatial these schools that are robbing people blind. I've heard it costs 40,000 for these programs. Really ? You can get a 4 year degree for that kind of money.
Best of luck to you.

rgood1970 in Texico, New Mexico

23 months ago

Marie you are 100% right, the x-ray job market has hit rock bottom thanks largely in part to schools pumping out too many students if you want my opinion the arrt should close them down and jcert should revoke their accredidation. The field has been steadily going downhill ever since programs moved out of hospitals and into community colleges. Some people may disagree with me, but let me explain. Hospital based programs weren't in it for the dollars, they just wanted to take a few students in order to replace the natural attrition rate ie people moving, quitting, or retiring etc. These programs would balance the number of students that they accepted with what the facilities actually needed; therefore nearly everyone was able to find work. In contrast, community colleges and vocational schools want money so they take as many students as they can,and they could care less if they find jobs or not.

Nic in Las Vegas, Nevada

20 months ago

Don't come to Las Vegas in hopes to find an x-ray job. You'll need at least 3 modalities under your belt before they will even look at you and that's if you're lucky to get an interview. 15 yrs. and I'm done, it's time to get into something else.

Bill Bacurat in Richmond, Virginia

10 months ago

rgood1970 in Texico, New Mexico said: Marie you are 100% right, the x-ray job market has hit rock bottom thanks largely in part to schools pumping out too many students if you want my opinion the arrt should close them down and jcert should revoke their accredidation. The field has been steadily going downhill ever since programs moved out of hospitals and into community colleges. Some people may disagree with me, but let me explain. Hospital based programs weren't in it for the dollars, they just wanted to take a few students in order to replace the natural attrition rate ie people moving, quitting, or retiring etc. These programs would balance the number of students that they accepted with what the facilities actually needed; therefore nearly everyone was able to find work. In contrast, community colleges and vocational schools want money so they take as many students as they can,and they could care less if they find jobs or not.

Well, this is not entirely correct where I came from. Bon Secours (hospital based program) in Richmond Virginia has a Rad Tech school, thus 8 instructors on the payroll. The school is constantly trying to justify their existence so they lie about the job prospects, (or at least put a positive spin on the prospects) thus, only concerned about taking your money.

There are 5 Rad Tech schools within 50 miles of each other, all lying to the students about job opportunities. Come graduation day, most all students are cast out never to be heard from again. Personally, I came from this school and was never able to find a job. Working as a volunteer at the hospital doesn't pay the bills, in the faint hopes to get in to even a part time position.

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

10 months ago

Bill Bacurat in Richmond, Virginia said:

Unfortunately you are correct Bill, although Hospital based programs used to not be like this. They are having to compete with the non-hospital based programs to keep up their enrollment and thus they have sold out their students and the profession.

17yrtech in Gardena, California

6 months ago

17 years in, use to work 60 to 80 hrs a week registry. can't get a shift now!! field is flooded

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

5 months ago

donotapply in Turlock, California said: The market is down at the moment, but that happens ever 7-10 years when the schools put out too many students. It will return. It just takes some time.
Of course referring to us we prefer to be called Technologists.
In California, technicians are limited and are not as educated!

It has been almost 6yrs since this post and the market is still down.

rgood1970 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

5 months ago

Truth be known this field has been saturated for over 7 years now the only way i see it rebounding is for alot of schools closing and even then it is going to take a while for it to get any better

Tfoster32 in Chandler, Arizona

5 months ago

There are five schools here in Phoenix, pumping out as many students as they can. The sole purpose is making money. Whole classes can not find jobs.
This field is totally Saturated.
If any body tells you different they have a vested interest.

mgjon in Riverdale, Georgia

4 months ago

Alyssa in Greenville, South Carolina said: I just moved to Greenville, SC from West Palm Beach, FL. I can NOT find an xray tech job to save my life! I thought it was just the area, but reading everyone's comments, it seems like I'm not the only one struggling! The only job interview I've had offered me $12.00/hour- are you kidding me? We are worth way more than that!

I do not know the date of this reply but I do know this: Alyssa please take the 12/hr (if you still can) if only to get your foot in the door/ once you feel the breeze on the other side of the door the air becomes less cloudy (if you know what I mean). I worked at Wallyworld for years at less than 12/hr after making 25/hr. You do what you have to do. Thanks for listening

mgjon in Riverdale, Georgia

4 months ago

Janis in Scottsdale, Arizona said: AS a member GO TO MEETINGS and VOTE! Get your voice heard!
Oddly enough, the crisis' always level out. When there are no jobs, the "not so dedicated" techs find other jobs else where. And then the need becomes strong again. Go ahead and keep encouraging want to be techs to go into nursing....better for our field in the long run! They probably wouldn't have been good techs, anyway! Just my opinion!

That's BS and you know it--- people have got to feed their families

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.