Can I become a radiology technician if I have a 3yr. old felony?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 155)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

FYI Screening in Columbus, Ohio

68 months ago

According to The American Registry of Radiologic
Technologists(ARRT®) Rules and Regulations...

Section 3.01 Application for Certification -
Applications may be investigated by the Board of Trustees to
determine moral character, educational preparation, and
other qualifications of the candidate. Investigations may
include criminal background checks through an examination
of public records.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

fred_Derf328 in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

did alot of research about this topic and found out that the only field that a convicted felon cannot can apply for a job is government work or as police official except as a parole officer. so don't be discouraged and go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (81) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

optimistic in Texas City, Texas

66 months ago

fred_Derf328 in Los Angeles, California said: did alot of research about this topic and found out that the only field that a convicted felon cannot can apply for a job is government work or as police official except as a parole officer. so don't be discouraged and go for it.

thanx for the info, because im interseted in becoming an x-ray tech and i have a felony conviction! i also have 2 misdemeanor weed charges? but this is all 10 years ago, and i have totally changed my life! maybe i will contact the aart and do some research of my own on convicted felons! for so long my background record has discouraged me, but i'm feeling a lil better about it now! at least i'll be able to say i tried!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

MBAinCA in Poway, California

65 months ago

optimistic in Texas City, Texas said: thanx for the info, because im interseted in becoming an x-ray tech and i have a felony conviction! i also have 2 misdemeanor weed charges? but this is all 10 years ago, and i have totally changed my life! maybe i will contact the aart and do some research of my own on convicted felons! for so long my background record has discouraged me, but i'm feeling a lil better about it now! at least i'll be able to say i tried!

I am in the same boat, in that I have a 7 year old misdemeanor and I am applying to an accredited Radiologic Technology Program. According to the Special Admissions Advisor, anyone with ANY convictions-other than non-drug related traffic offenses-should submit a "pre-application" to AART. AART will then conduct an investigation and make a determination as to whether or not you can be certified. If they decide that you can be certified, you don't have to go through the screening process again when you graduate from your program. I would reccomend taking this step, since it would be a shame to go through two years of full-time school only to find out that you can't get certified. Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Stephen S in Long Beach, California

63 months ago

Schools don't just do background checks for the AART. The hopsitals that you intern will have guidelines for students that are going to operate in their facilities.

The school can run the check and then they can review your case with the hospitals and see if they would accept you as an intern before you start the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Starting over in the OC in Trabuco Canyon, California

63 months ago

I'm in a similiar situation. I have a class E felony from 1997 and a DUI from 2001. I never had an issue getting a job that I applied for (yet I never went government because they do not accept felons). I was on probation for the felony for 2 years and and fullfilled my obligations and haven't been in trouble since. I am currently in school for the medical assistant program. I contacted and applied to the ARMA (American Registry of Medical Assistants) and as long as I keep out of trouble there will not be an issue. I also applied to the ARRT for a prequalification and am waiting to hear from them. Right now it is reviewed by the board. I pray everything goes well, should know by the end of September. I am on the waiting list for the Rad program for 2011.

So I think there is some hope. My question is are there any successful stories from people of similiar circumstances "already" in the medical field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nervous to take 1st step in Monticello, Kentucky

62 months ago

mariega in Nebraska said: You can become an xray tech! I was convicted of a felony over 7 years ago. After that I decided to change my life for the better. I went to college and now I am a registered radiologic technologist. I did, however, have to submit an application to ethics committee of the ARRT. They approved me, and a school accepted me! Good luck!

Thanks! You have encouraged me to apply to the x-ray tech program, but do I need to submit an application to the ethics committee before I apply for college? And how do I apply to the ethics committee? Any information or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mariega in Nebraska

62 months ago

Nervous to take 1st step in Monticello, Kentucky said: Thanks! You have encouraged me to apply to the x-ray tech program, but do I need to submit an application to the ethics committee before I apply for college? And how do I apply to the ethics committee? Any information or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!!

Go to ARRT.com, and I think under ethics you can find the pre-approval application. Fill it out and submit the required documentation. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mariega in Iowa

62 months ago

!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Starting over in the OC in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

62 months ago

mariega in Nebraska said: You can become an xray tech! I was convicted of a felony over 7 years ago. After that I decided to change my life for the better. I went to college and now I am a registered radiologic technologist. I did, however, have to submit an application to ethics committee of the ARRT. They approved me, and a school accepted me! Good luck!

You have just made my day. I'm still waiting anxiously each day for that letter from the ethics committee, should have an answer within the next month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

DLS57 in Venice, Florida

62 months ago

Fellow Rad. Techs. to be; I am encouraged by your feedback re: pre-approval by the AART. I have 2 misdimenors for possetion of weed when I was a kid in the late 70's and 83 as well as a DP for fighting that night. One of the weed charges was dismissed . Mind you these were very small amounts. I then had a DUI around the same time.I haven't had a ticket since and stoped smoking way-back..I'm squeeky clean now and have a CCW. I have considered expongement, however it would cost about$1500. I have begun the pre-approval process and will appreciate any further input.
Another concern , how hard is the AART Exam?
Thanks in advance all you Rads.

Nervous to take 1st step in Monticello, Kentucky

62 months ago

mariega in Nebraska said: Go to ARRT.com, and I think under ethics you can find the pre-approval application. Fill it out and submit the required documentation. Thanks!

Thank you sooooo much for the information and encouragement. I am going to the ARRT site now. Again thanks so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Starting over in the OC in Lake Forest, California

61 months ago

After nine months of waiting, I finally received a letter from the ARRT. The ethics board cleared me :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

DLS57 in Venice, Florida

61 months ago

...now all you need is a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

NOt sure if that was a smartass commet DLS57, but I'm a step closer to my goal than I was a year ago. I still have to do my 2 years of school. The ARRT is a major deciding factor. Without their approval you won't get a license to practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DLS57 in Venice, Florida

61 months ago

I'm quite aware of ARRT cert. & pre-cert. Comment was perhaps faciecious but not smart ass. It was however , realistic.
If the market is any better in Cal., that's great . It sucks everywhere else rite now.
You're talking about certification and I'm talking about employment.
Don't be so defensive. I'm happy your on your way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

No problem. Sorry for being defensive, just trying to live a dream. The job market isn't the greatest out here, yet what job market is doing well? Not many. I figure in a few years things will turn around. At least I hope it will.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

DLS57 in Venice, Florida

61 months ago

...job markets that are doing well...Prisons, Prison Construction, Law Enforcment, Fire Arms, Home Security. What does this say for the state of afairs ?
I'm a year out and I'm hoping too. Hate to change horses in the middle of a stream.....here's hoping!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Greeneyedbully in Fullerton, California

60 months ago

Starting over in the OC in Lake Forest, California said: No problem. Sorry for being defensive, just trying to live a dream. The job market isn't the greatest out here, yet what job market is doing well? Not many. I figure in a few years things will turn around. At least I hope it will.

I just read several blogs and column's on this subject becuase I too am from OC California and have a dream of being accepted into the radiology program at my school. I also have an extensive record. Thanks to you I feel I have the extra encouragement to submit my app to AART. Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EmmanHun1 in San Diego, California

60 months ago

I am a student currently in a medical specialties program and am expecting to graduate it in about 8 months. This program also includes x ray tech. I messed up and got a felony 2.5 years ago but my lawyer said that as long as i complete probation i will be able to get it expunged and then wont need to put it on my record. Do i still have a chance at being an x ray tech somebody please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Yes you can. Contact the ARRT and submit an ethics pre- application review. These people are ultimately in charge of licensing and you will inevitably encounter them when you apply for your certification. It costs $75 but its worth it and it takes several months to get a response so you should do it now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

starting over in the OC in Mission Viejo, California

60 months ago

EmmanHun1 in San Diego, California said: I am a student currently in a medical specialties program and am expecting to graduate it in about 8 months. This program also includes x ray tech. I messed up and got a felony 2.5 years ago but my lawyer said that as long as i complete probation i will be able to get it expunged and then wont need to put it on my record. Do i still have a chance at being an x ray tech somebody please help

Which school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lilmynx67 in Lake Forest, California

60 months ago

I'm in M.V. What is an excellent school in this area for x-ray technology?

60 months ago

Your local junior college is just fine. You get the same if not better training and you can do it for about half the cost of one of the specialty schools. A RAD/TECH school in Fountain Valley was telling me the costs run 60 to 70 thousand bucks for their "accelerated program" of 26 months.

lilmynx67 in Lake Forest, California

60 months ago

Thank you for your response.....

starting over in the OC in Mission Viejo, California

60 months ago

Greeneyedbully in Fullerton, California said: Your local junior college is just fine. You get the same if not better training and you can do it for about half the cost of one of the specialty schools. A RAD/TECH school in Fountain Valley was telling me the costs run 60 to 70 thousand bucks for their "accelerated program" of 26 months.

Accelerated program of 26 months? That's the same time frame as a community college. Unless there isn't a 4-5 year waiting list....not much different.

60 months ago

I understand what you mean. I felt like the coordinator I spoke with was just a saleswoman. After investigating all of my options I realized all of the programs that are trade specific or vocational were just plain expensive.

alanwrench in Marlton, New Jersey

59 months ago

Starting over in the OC in Lake Forest, California said: After nine months of waiting, I finally received a letter from the ARRT. The ethics board cleared me :)

what were your charges that u thought would diqualify u from getting certified.

alanwrench in Marlton, New Jersey

59 months ago

well i guess i might as well describe my story a couple weeks ago i got arrested and charged with a cds ( 2nd degree charge) and intent to distribute in a school zone ( second degree charge) and another charge of possesion of under 50 grams of pot( missadmenor). now i spoke to the arrt and they said nothing can exclude you from getting accepted . so iam gonna wait till court is over to submit my package for the pre application process through the ARRT . now has anyone here herd of a case similar to mine . and got allowed to one, get into a radiology program, and two sit down for the Boards (which allow you to become certified).

Help me.....

Chris in Greenville, Texas

59 months ago

I was convicted of a 3rd degree felony for deadly conduct in 2004 and a class A misdemeanor for theft in 2005. I have completely changed my life and am starting a family and would really like to do something with my life. I live in texas where everything is harder for a felon. Do I have a chance at getting accepted or certified or am i wasting my time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Greeneyedbully in Placentia, California

59 months ago

You ARE NOT wasting oyur time. Go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

IheartMRI in Euless, Texas

59 months ago

CHRIS (in GREENVILLE)
I, too, am from Texas and have a background. I've completed all the paperwork and I will send my review application TODAY. (fingers crossed!!) Don't decide anything, one way or another, until you do the ARRT Review. They are who you need to worry about (since they can deny access to a license). My charges were misdemeanor Assault and Theft. After doing tons of research, I can tell you that our main concern is the fact that these are crimes of "moral turpitude". ARRT needs to know that they will not risk the safety of the patients - that's what they're concerned about. I was only 17 when this happened and it involved a shoplifting incident. Now over a decade later, I have totally turned my life around for the better. I know first hand just how much people can change. This state is full of road blocks for “criminals” trying to do the right thing and turn their life around. We just have to work harder than other people do. Bottom line, don't let the bureaucracies bring you down. You make your own future – for better or for worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

emmanuelhun1 in San Diego, California

59 months ago

just following up to see if anybody has found out if i still will be able to get a job once i graduate from school. I am on probation and get off it in a year. I was convicted of a felony but plan on getting it expunged. Is there hope for me yet or no.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Murphy in Saint Louis, Missouri

59 months ago

If it is a federal case and not state there is no such thing as expunging it. The president could give you a pardon and you would still have to fess up to it to any potential future employer. There was a bill introduced a few years ago to allow for federal felony convictions to be expunged but it died in the water. I have a federal conviction from 20+ years ago that still haunts me. Lots of luck to you. I hope it is a state felony.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

emmanuelhun1 in San Diego, California

59 months ago

it is a state felony and i did look into it and know i can get it expunged. my biggest fear is graduating and not being able to work in the medical field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ochosanders in West Covina, California

59 months ago

Hey everyone Im a 29 year old who was convicted of a felony in 2000 for a fight first and only offense will this deter me from being a CRT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ochosanders in West Covina, California

59 months ago

I have found some good news, just becuase you have a felony it does not forfeit you from receiving your license or certificate. All cases are reviewed as individual cases so each case is different and it is a good chance that you will recieve you cert. so stick with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

DLS57 in Venice, Florida

59 months ago

Depends on the offense, your references, your grades, any priors or post offenses, your explination, the board and it's review criteria.
Try a pre- app. through ARRT $75. Download all necc, forms and info from thier website.
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

starting over in the OC in Lake Forest, California

59 months ago

Well you have to get pre-approved or approved prior or after your done with school because you cannot get licensed without it. No license = no job. According to their website, if its a felony that involves drugs or violence and if it's recent...your going to have a hard time yet still try anyway. Mine was 14 years ago and I did get approved by them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dlr in Columbus, Ohio

58 months ago

I was convicted of attempt to carry a conciled weapon 7 years ago in ohio(like Texas thay see how hard thay can be on felons)nothing els but some driving tickets.How would my chances be?
Also do you go to school first or find out if you can get certified first?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

58 months ago

jean christopher in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

veronica morehead in Houston, Texas said: I want to go to school to become a radiology tech., but I have a 3 year old felony. I was thinking there are lots of places other than hospitals that I can work. Like injury clinics or re-hab facilities.

i got a student loan and went to medical assisting school, and no one would hire me,looked for over a year. i was going to be a meical assistant and a year later get into xray. i have a felony on my record, but why doesn't the scool or someone should check before you get a student loan. now i have to pay off the loan and i could not use it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jean christopher in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

jean christopher in Houston, Texas said: i got a student loan and went to medical assisting school, and no one would hire me,looked for over a year. i was going to be a meical assistant and a year later get into xray. i have a felony on my record, but why doesn't the scool or someone should check before you get a student loan. now i have to pay off the loan and i could not use it.

i guess i expected a reply to me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Omega716 in Lockport, New York

57 months ago

I'm glad stumble into this site. I was convicted of a class E felon in 2003. It's been highly frustrating as far as jobs. I recently have graduated with a liberal arts degree. I'm going back to school to become x-ray tech. I was second guessing myself at first, but reading these stories encourages me. People can change their life, one mistake shouldn't dictate your Whole Life. Gd luck to all

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

57 months ago

Omega716 in Lockport, New York said: I'm glad stumble into this site. I was convicted of a class E felon in 2003. It's been highly frustrating as far as jobs. I recently have graduated with a liberal arts degree. I'm going back to school to become x-ray tech. I was second guessing myself at first, but reading these stories encourages me. People can change their life, one mistake shouldn't dictate your Whole Life. Gd luck to all

Yes, anyone can change their life. However, the ARRT may not be willing to take that chance (and they are the only ones whose ruling matters if you want to be a nationally certified radiographer).

According to the ARRT website (www.arrt.org) -
"Candidates who want to expedite their application processing or might be concerned about whether their conviction record will affect eligibility are encouraged to file a Pre-Application Review with ARRT." The review can be found here - www.arrt.org/ethics/preapp.htm

Please don't rely on the anonymous information you find in online postings. Go to the soure - the ARRT for sure, and your state licensing board if you're a licensure state.

Good luck
hjh, RT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sunrise in Bronx, New York

56 months ago

If you have a criminal record you are screwed. Don't waste your time in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

starting over in the OC in Lake Forest, California

55 months ago

Sunrise in Bronx, New York said: If you have a criminal record you are screwed. Don't waste your time in school.

I just got a job as an MA and didn't have a problem having a criminal record. Still going back for RT and am approved by the ARRT.

If your approved it's not a waste of time and getting a job just proved it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

kaka5235 in Kansas City, Missouri

55 months ago

I currently live in Kansas City, MO but my state jail felony is in Longview, TX. I am currently serving 5 years probation for debit card abuse. (which I still feel was extremely harsh) I am 3 years into my probation with absolutely no bumbs. I have read all the comments about how to go about asking the arrt if you are qualified to be certified. However, my question is...what happens after you are approved and graduate college? The next hurdle is finding an employer that will look past your criminal background and actually give you a chance. Am I correct that just because you have approval from the arrt and certification, you still may not be able to work in the field you went to school for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kaka5235 in Kansas City, Missouri

55 months ago

Also to add to my last comment. Since my case is in Texas and we all know how harsh Texas is, the judge gave me straight probation which means that I will never be able to get my record expunged. I had a horrible, court appointed lawyer that never stood up and said a word and just let whatever happened, happen. Any suggestions on how to get past the employer hurdle?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

StressedinTexas in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

I am also interested in going to school to be a radiographer and have a previous record here in Texas.
3 years ago I was arrested from Prostitution (I was not really doing this for the record but was basically forced in a corner to take a plea to avoid having anything on my record since it was my word against the officers and I didn't have my own lawyer to fight the charges). After being advised by the crappy court appointed attorney to plead no contest and take a deferred adjudication along with probation that then I would have a cleared record upon completing the probation- she just forgot to mention that I'd have to pull $800 out of my arse for a lawyer to file the proper paper work to clear the charge from my public record and that it would take up to a year for it to be in full effecct.

It's hard to come up with an extra $800 for this when I can't even get a job at McDonalds!!

I know many people here have said they had felony's and got approved for the radiography programs and to be certified, but I do know they judge each case individually. I feel very frustrated right now since I will soon have 2 mouths to feed and it'd be nice to support my children with out my mothers help one day before I'm 40! But I feel discouraged since if I can't even get a job at Mc Donalds- I have little faith that the ARRT will approve me.

I am frustrated with the system in general. How does the government expect people to change their lives or better their lives if they can't even get a chance to show what they are worth.
I didn't really do anything close to prostitution- but I can now see how and why the people who have lived a life a crime get caught up in a vicious circle.

Has anyone ever had a sex related charge ( Prostitution is a class B misdemonor btw) and been approved by the ARRT, or does anyone know of the charges the ARRT absoultely refuse to approve?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.