Can't find work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 90)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

sharon in Midland, Texas

67 months ago

How can there be no jobs when the medical field (anything remotely relating to medical) is the hottest industry going...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

timmy in Herndon, Virginia

67 months ago

Unless you do a student tech job while your in x-ray school it's very hard to get a job after because no one knows who you are and most places already have enough staff. As you go through your clinical rotations you'll notice they are most likely already well staffed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Thornton, Illinois

65 months ago

All of these comments are so true, there are no jobs! Sorry to say but your best bet is going back to school for a modality like ultrasound or MRI. I have been in the field for 5yrs and things are bad, there are so many schools popping up they are flooding the market with techs and the hospitals are eliminating positions thats the real problem. I work at a very large facility in Chicago and in Radiology alone they eliminated 7 positions....best bet is go back to school. Its not just us either its nurses to, you know its bad when nurses are getting laid off!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mathews70 in Oregon

65 months ago

Why aren't there any jobs? You can thank all the greedy x-ray schools. The field has become more and more flooded every year and have the schools cut enrollment? NO! There are too many schools for one and also too many small schools pumping out half ass techs. I can't count how many students I know of that have given up on trying to find jobs and going back to school because they couldn't find a job. I believe the x-ray programs should be regulated by the ARRT. There should be some kind of accountability. I think states should also mandate that only ARRT registered R.T.'s can practice. I can't believ they allow limited techs out there or these so called x-ray techs from places like Apollo college or these certificate programs. Sorry for the rant, I'm just really steamed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

X-raysam in Happy Valley, Oregon

64 months ago

Mathews70 in Oregon said: Why aren't there any jobs? You can thank all the greedy x-ray schools. The field has become more and more flooded every year and have the schools cut enrollment? NO! There are too many schools for one and also too many small schools pumping out half ass techs. I can't count how many students I know of that have given up on trying to find jobs and going back to school because they couldn't find a job. I believe the x-ray programs should be regulated by the ARRT. There should be some kind of accountability. I think states should also mandate that only ARRT registered R.T.'s can practice. I can't believ they allow limited techs out there or these so called x-ray techs from places like Apollo college or these certificate programs. Sorry for the rant, I'm just really steamed!

The problem is just as much the "colleges" as it is the certificate programs. The so called reputable college programs in the area we live ramped up enrollment over the last few years to a unsustainable degree, like drunken housing Czar building endless subdivisions in the middle of nowhere during the hieght of the housing boom. In addition, I agree that there are many low quality programs out there 2year, 4 year and Cerfiticate. I personally was trained by a JRCERT accrediated private hospital based cerfificate program with over 40 years of history that kept its enrollement low and taught it’s student right. I can tesitfy to the fact that it was much harder than any of the degreed programs for the students I teach in Portland who have far less clinical time and much less consitency of training. Years ago my teachers were talking about how the enrollement practices that other cerficate programs, community colleges and Univeristies were starting to practice would kill the job market and they were right. On an interesing note my school could not afford to stay open after 40 years so they were taken over by the local community college. Techs I have talked to

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

monica in San Antonio, Texas

63 months ago

ive been in san antonio for 11 months and i just got laid off and I can't find a job.. i've been an xray tech for 9yrs and I can't get anyone to call me back... WHY!!!! there are alot of jobs in san antonio especially PRN but I cant even seem to get a prn job. if anyone knows of a job in san antonio please write back I desperately need a job...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

va tech in Nashville, Tennessee

62 months ago

sharon in Midland, Texas said: How can there be no jobs when the medical field (anything remotely relating to medical) is the hottest industry going...

the people in those jobs aren't leaving. where i live, there are three schools graduating a minimum of 20 students a year.. that's 60 students all looking for jobs at the same time..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SteveMc in Ozark, Arkansas

61 months ago

Here is a link to an Ancillary Services Tech job at Mercy Hospital in Fort Smith, Arkansas as of July 2, 2009. Hope that helps someone get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shannonv33 in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Hi Monica. I read your email and first I wanted to know if you found a job and also what is the pay over in San Antonio for a 7yr or more experienced x-ray tech. We live in San Diego and the pay here is about $30 hour due to cost of living. My husband will retire in about two years from the navy and we are looking to relocate to San Antonio.

monica in San Antonio, Texas said: ive been in san antonio for 11 months and i just got laid off and I can't find a job.. i've been an xray tech for 9yrs and I can't get anyone to call me back... WHY!!!! there are alot of jobs in san antonio especially PRN but I cant even seem to get a prn job. if anyone knows of a job in san antonio please write back I desperately need a job...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

some guy tech in Herndon, Virginia

61 months ago

two possible reasons "why" you can't find a job.
1st: hiring freeze
2nd: "they" are just rehiring their interns at techs instead to save money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

1st Timer in Corpus Christi, Texas

58 months ago

I am strongly looking into the medical field, please advise the best field. Pondering on parametic, or Lvn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff With SendOutCards in Naples, Florida

58 months ago

1st Timer in Corpus Christi, Texas said: I am strongly looking into the medical field, please advise the best field. Pondering on parametic, or Lvn.

Would you consider going outside your field to find work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Darlene in Tampa, Florida

58 months ago

anonymous in Phoenix, Arizona said: I am a new grad with a ARRT license in X-Ray. I've been looking for work for the past two months and it seems as if no one wants to give me a chance. There are a lot of openings in AZ. But I guess because I'm a new grad no one want to be the first. Any suggestion on how I can get work.

I know what you mean, Im in Fl. and couldn't find a job, or nobody wanted to give a new grad a chance. Now it's time to renew my licence and never got to use it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary Cannot in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Oct 05, 2009 – ICW Group Insurance Companies has streamlined several core projects resulting in a significant reduction of 146 people from its total workforce of 702. Most of the cuts were in executive, IT, Workers' Comp and Explorer insurance staff, with 131 occurring in the Information Technology department, leaving the department with 55 employees.

"Despite this reduction of less than 37% our workforce, our financial position continues to be better than some of our competitors" said president and CEO of ICW Groups. "It allows us to finally align our budget with our revenues that have come under pressure during these challenging economic times. Now that we will be selling our Auto (Explorer Insurance) line and with similar plans for the Workers' Comp line we don't foresee this in any way impacting our ability to continue delivering quality products and services to our remaining Agent and Broker partners. We remain focused on our core initiatives such as the enterprise-wide SAP implementation, IT bonuses, and beefying up our project management PREP 2.5 team, that will allow us to obtain a B- (minus) AM Best rating which is very comforting. Although we were dropped from Wards 50, we anticipate returning to the top 50 well within the next 10 years if everything works out to our advantage"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nicole in Bossier City, Louisiana

57 months ago

It is a very bad thing here we start school and there is to many jobs in this feild but by the time i graduated in 08 they were all gone I still have not been able to find a job I have a degree and am forced to revert to minimum wage jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Prospect, Virginia

57 months ago

F@*k X-ray schools they knew this!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MRI Intern in Herndon, Virginia

57 months ago

They sure did!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Crafty84 in Portland, Oregon

56 months ago

I understand what you mean and agree completely! I spent 5 years getting my bachelor's and some of the best training at OIT it Klamath Falls, even did an externship a trauma II hospital and still have not had any luck getting employment... Everywhere I apply wants more experience, which I understand, but where am I supposed to get this experience? There definitely needs to be some sort of regulation on the # of techs that are being mass-produced!

Mathews70 in Oregon said: Why aren't there any jobs? You can thank all the greedy x-ray schools. The field has become more and more flooded every year and have the schools cut enrollment? NO! There are too many schools for one and also too many small schools pumping out half ass techs. I can't count how many students I know of that have given up on trying to find jobs and going back to school because they couldn't find a job. I believe the x-ray programs should be regulated by the ARRT. There should be some kind of accountability. I think states should also mandate that only ARRT registered R.T.'s can practice. I can't believ they allow limited techs out there or these so called x-ray techs from places like Apollo college or these certificate programs. Sorry for the rant, I'm just really steamed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

56 months ago

There is no "magic" profession that's immune to the economic hardship being experienced in all industries. Or didn't you know that there are 15.4 million people jobless in the US (November stats)?

This recession is not the fault of hospitals who demanded more radiographers, nor the fault of programs (both certificate and degree) who complied by creating more programs to graduate more students.

As people get sicker and RT's retire, there is a need for more RTs to fill open positions. In response, new programs open, current programs allow more students. The news spreads that healthcare is the hottest trend, students flock to those schools, sure that they'll graduate into the promised land of opportunity and bountiful pay. Of course, with all those new and expanded programs pumping out new graduates, open positions fill quickly and suddenly there is a glut of radiographers - and no jobs. This happens at least once a decade.

Unfortunately, the current down side of this cycle happened in the middle of a brutal recession when even hospitals that are expanding cannot afford to hire the professionals to fully staff their facility.

No one saw this coming - not the ARRT, not states, not hospitals, not radiography programs, not radiographers and not students.

I'm sorry if you thought that healthcare was untouchable. But it is what it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NATE_EASON@YAHOO.COM in Durham, North Carolina

56 months ago

I live in Durham,NC and we have four x-ray schools here that were putting out 20 students per school per year. Since all the jobs have dried up they have all dropped to 4 students per school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rgood1970 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

55 months ago

In response to Heather in new haven. I beg to differ with your comment that no one saw this coming. I went back to school in 2001 to crosstrain into Radiaon Therapy and there were tons of jobs available back then. The xray market started tightening up around late 2005 and has been in steady decline eversince. I am not saying that the poor economy does not play a role in these layoffs but schools and especially internet programs have been pumping out way too many student for quite some time now. Thus, the market is saturated with too many techs. Until some programs shut down and enrollment drops off this problem will not disappear even if the economy turns aroundbecause supply will way exceed demand.

Heather in West Haven, Connecticut

55 months ago

rgood, it's the recession that no one counted on. This cycle of "shortage of qualified imagers/schools bump up enrollments and new schools open/glut of new graduates/job market saturation" has happened every 8-10 years since the late 1970's.

Because the current market is saturated, fewer students will be interested, schools will cut enrollment, and we'll begin the cycle all over again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maluli in Hollywood, Florida

52 months ago

Wy is life so hard. I finally decide to study something that i like, and it was so hard for me, but i did it, and what happened because i don't have experiance i can't get a job any where, so i have to renew my license for second time and still no job, and i have to do it just in case some come out, i need an advise or solution for this situation, since the economi is really bad and money today is hard to have or keep.

sometech in Herndon, Virginia

52 months ago

Renew your licence for ARRT and see if you can't go into another modality. Find someone who is will to cross train you. That's what I did. 2 yrs. no job now I'm doing a higher modality. If you don't have connections find/make them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

sometech in Herndon, Virginia said: Renew your licence for ARRT and see if you can't go into another modality. Find someone who is will to cross train you. That's what I did. 2 yrs. no job now I'm doing a higher modality. If you don't have connections find/make them.

But in order to do ARRT i have to study more because my licence is just basic x-ray machine operator....:(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sometech in Herndon, Virginia

52 months ago

what do you mean by basic? as in you can only do basic x-rays like chest, KUB etc?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

sometech in Herndon, Virginia said: what do you mean by basic? as in you can only do basic x-rays like chest, KUB etc?

No it is only for clinic with 24 beds and if i want to get advanced i have to study more and i don't want to do that anymore....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

annonymous in Winter Springs, Florida

50 months ago

Maluli in Hollywood, Florida said: No it is only for clinic with 24 beds and if i want to get advanced i have to study more and i don't want to do that anymore....

Look on miracleworker.com for jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

megaray in Brooklyn, New York

49 months ago

New grad people! As far as xray examinations would be 30,40, 50,60$ per study nobody can afford to keep xray services in their medical offices.This terrible situation happened 14 years ago because insurance companies(including Medicaid)decreased xray to shameful prices because they want to compensate their loss due to the numerous MRI exams. This is a shame that in medical field the most important part of treating patients is diagnostic imaging. And if one exam cost 1000$ and other 30$ that something wrong in our system !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DaveNCT in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

I just graduated from a NCT school, and all these comments above are so true.
An in-depth job search, seems to me that many clinics and hospitals are phasing out RTs and hiring MA/NCT combinations. As I am not interested in nursing, the MA is not an option. However, I am seeing a lot of MRI/NCT and CT/NCT combos as well. True that most want experience, but that's just the way all industries are. With the glut of grads this isn't going to be an easy field to crack - I'm just going to keep plugging along.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

john boy in Wilmington, North Carolina

47 months ago

NATE_EASON@YAHOO.COM in Durham, North Carolina said: I live in Durham,NC and we have four x-ray schools here that were putting out 20 students per school per year. Since all the jobs have dried up they have all dropped to 4 students per school.

i know of NO schools who have cut back the number of people to join. the schools are making money and so is the ARRT. Its all about greed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GRT in Flagstaff, Arizona

46 months ago

anonymous in Phoenix, Arizona said: I am a new grad with a ARRT license in X-Ray. I've been looking for work for the past two months and it seems as if no one wants to give me a chance. There are a lot of openings in AZ. But I guess because I'm a new grad no one want to be the first. Any suggestion on how I can get work.

We are hiring at our brand new urgent care center in Flagstaff Arizona. Looking for two full time x-ray techs. Go to our web page and download an application. www.troyerurgentcare.com Do it soon, as we are opening in November......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dubsy Max in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

GRT in Flagstaff, Arizona said: We are hiring at our brand new urgent care center in Flagstaff Arizona. Looking for two full time x-ray techs. Go to our web page and download an application. www.troyerurgentcare.com Do it soon, as we are opening in November......

would apply, but thats 1 hell of a commute from Philly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MacDonald in Richmond, Virginia

41 months ago

I believe that the x-ray schools are particularly to blame. Here we have at least 6 x-ray schools within an hours drive. Each school graduates 20 up to 45 techs a year. They have even begun to shorten the hospital based programs from 2 years to 18 months. This over flow of techs has filled the market so much employers practically threaten their employees cause there are techs out there without jobs willing to work for half the pay. As for becoming registered in another modality, employers find it cheaper to hire people without being registered to on the job train and make x-ray tech pay. This is the problem I ran into, being registered in MRI. Most places don't want a registered tech.

arni135 in Tampa, Florida

41 months ago

Iam an mri technologist looking for a PRN in the Tampa bay area. I graduated from MDCC in 1996.( mri certificate program) I have 17 years experience as an mri tech, bilingual fluent English- Spanish. Please fellow tech if you know any openings send me a e-mail to arni135@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Roy in Texico, New Mexico

40 months ago

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut said: There is no "magic" profession that's immune to the economic hardship being experienced in all industries. Or didn't you know that there are 15.4 million people jobless in the US (November stats)?

This recession is not the fault of hospitals who demanded more radiographers, nor the fault of programs (both certificate and degree) who complied by creating more programs to graduate more students.

As people get sicker and RT's retire, there is a need for more RTs to fill open positions. In response, new programs open, current programs allow more students. The news spreads that healthcare is the hottest trend, students flock to those schools, sure that they'll graduate into the promised land of opportunity and bountiful pay. Of course, with all those new and expanded programs pumping out new graduates, open positions fill quickly and suddenly there is a glut of radiographers - and no jobs. This happens at least once a decade.

Unfortunately, the current down side of this cycle happened in the middle of a brutal recession when even hospitals that are expanding cannot afford to hire the professionals to fully staff their facility.

No one saw this coming - not the ARRT, not states, not hospitals, not radiography programs, not radiographers and not students.

I have been in the field since 1984 and I saw this coming in 2006. Between community colleges and the internet programs it was already starting toflood back then now it s completely flooded. When you are talking about the medical field it is a huge industry. I know for a fact that respiratory and physical therapy are very much in demand so is occupational therapy. I have to disagre that the arrt didn't see this coming because they stand to profit by more people taking the exams, and they are the ones reporting to bls that this is still a manpower shortage field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

40 months ago

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut said: There is no "magic" profession that's immune to the economic hardship being experienced in all industries. Or didn't you know that there are 15.4 million people jobless in the US (November stats)?

I completely disagree Heather. This has been going on since before the current recession. The Radiology job market has been declining steadily for the last 10yrs and at a more accelerated pace the last 2-3yrs. If you are currently workiing as a tech hold on for dear life and pray you don't get laid off. If you are a student or considering going into x-ray cut your losses now while you can. Consider it a life lesson and look for another profession.

40 months ago

I agree with drones 100%. Heather is right in that the field does cycle but we were due for that to happen in 2010 and it didn't instead it is as flooded as i have ever seen it i have people fighting over prn poisition in clovis new mexico. I have recieved resumes as far way as florida, missou, and massachusettes. I have been in the field since 1984 and this is the worse downfall that I have ever seen. Not too mention what has happened to wages it is vvery depressing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

HV64 in San Diego, California

39 months ago

Roy in Texico, New Mexico said: I agree with drones 100%. Heather is right in that the field does cycle but we were due for that to happen in 2010 and it didn't instead it is as flooded as i have ever seen it i have people fighting over prn poisition in clovis new mexico. I have recieved resumes as far way as florida, missou, and massachusettes. I have been in the field since 1984 and this is the worse downfall that I have ever seen. Not too mention what has happened to wages it is vvery depressing.

when do you think the cycle is going to improve. One of my co-worker told me that he read somewhere that the first wave of people going to retire from this field is going to be at the end of 2011.

39 months ago

Who knows going from previous cycles we should have had a upturn around 2010, but that sure did not happen. I can't foresee anything getting better until some schools start closing down and the economy drastically improving. Neither of which seems to be happening at the current time, however I have heard that enrollment in some programs is decreasing. More prospective students need to be aware of the state of the imaging field now. Most of the students thay I have talked to are clueless about the oversaturated state of our profession. They are going into this because it is in the medical field and assuming there are plenty of jobs when there are actually none. All the instructors are telling them is that the market is tight and they have to move to find jobs then I ask them what do you think all the other countless number of schools are telling their students??? The same line of bull.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

Roy in Texico, New Mexico said: Who knows going from previous cycles we should have had a upturn around 2010, but that sure did not happen. I can't foresee anything getting better until some schools start closing down and the economy drastically improving. Neither of which seems to be happening at the current time, however I have heard that enrollment in some programs is decreasing. More prospective students need to be aware of the state of the imaging field now. Most of the students thay I have talked to are clueless about the oversaturated state of our profession. They are going into this because it is in the medical field and assuming there are plenty of jobs when there are actually none. All the instructors are telling them is that the market is tight and they have to move to find jobs then I ask them what do you think all the other countless number of schools are telling their students??? The same line of bull.

What previous cycles are you talking about? I worked in the field since 1986 and have never seen it "cycle" before.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

HV64 in San Diego, California said: when do you think the cycle is going to improve. One of my co-worker told me that he read somewhere that the first wave of people going to retire from this field is going to be at the end of 2011.

Actually I've been hearing the exact opposite. Some of my former co-workers who are close to early retirement have said they've put it off for 5yrs because of the economy. The only person in my former department who has retired in last 5yrs did not have his position filled, not even by a PRN. People are forgetting that radiology departments are having to cut back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

I have been in the field since 84. Late 80's and early 90's there was a shortage of techs mid 90's a glut of techs. Late 90's early 2000's another shortage of techs here we are with another glut since at least 2007. This is is the worse downfall I have ever seen. If you don't believe me look at previous issues of advance compare the number of available jobs in 2000 compared to now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

39 months ago

Roy, I've been in the field since '86 and I never once filled out an application until after I already had a job. I would just call a facility that I thought I might like working at and ask to talk to the manager. They were practically begging me to work their. I got my first job in '86 when a recruiter stopped me as I was leaving my clinical site.
In the mid 90's I used to get calls from former employers asking me if I wanted a job and they would pay me a $5K sign on bonus moving expenses if I took the job. I was getting double time, + time and half for overtime, to work extra shifts.
Early 2000's I was still taking side jobs at ortho clinics, where I did nothing but take x-rays. No paper work at all.
During the mid 2000's things rapidly changed and there were no more calls and so I started work towards a career change.
As long as I've been a tech Advance used to have more pages of job postings than actual articles, up until the last 5yrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

You are right and like isaid this is the worse downturn that i have ever seen in my career. And it isnt just radiology all modalities are flooded I Have been in radiation therapy since 2001. Too many schools pumping out too many techs. Community colleges and internet programs which are unaccredited have ruined these fields.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jannch in Denton, Texas

37 months ago

I am an unemployed tech, laid off after 25 years experience. A big part of the problem is the "user friendly" equipment being sold to offices and small clinics (Aim and Shoot.)
Doctors buy this equipment, and a trainer comes in for a couple of hours and shows the entire staff (including Front Desk!!) how to operate it. No training on proper protection or positioning. Here in TX, the doc sends one employee to a few weeks x-ray certification school and he is covered. Not legal, but he gets away with it. Do patients get safe diagnostic exams? I think not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

John in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hi, I don't know what other field you are interested, but I can offer you an extra income program that I am persuing and many of my friends are too, when we all could'nt find work in our field of work. This is a residual income program that pays nice daily.

^^^^^^^SCAM ALERT^^^^^^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SCAM ALERT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

happy in Hilliard, Ohio

36 months ago

I wonder how many people in the field of Radiology are currently unemployed. What percentage of trained people are actually working in the field. I would be willing to wager that it is relatively low.

Over the last two decades many thousands have entered the field via training programs at Radiology Tech "Factories" or "Mills" (What ever you choose to call them) only to be disappointed by the job market. It is estimated that more than half have never been able to secure gainful employment in their field.

Employers that do not want to train a fresh out of school newbie, hospital's insurers that do not want the risk from RTs that have minimum qualifications, low paying and high risk positions at small office operations all are factors in Radiology technicians career failure.

I know 3 people that went to a community college and completed a certificate program; two were able to get certified and one never did. Of the two that did get certified neither work in the field; one never did find employment. The one who did find work made $10.50 per hour and only found part time employment. She now works for TSA as a security screener at Port Columbus International Airport.

The few others I have witnessed achieve success in Radiology have completed an Associates degree as a Medical Assistant. They then worked to get a Bachelors degree and to get certification in every available area; they have ALL seen job offers from organizations they did not even apply to.

If you are considering a career in Radiology I would suggest you START with a Bachelors degree or at the least an Associates degree or look into another career choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jo in Addison, Texas

36 months ago

Several yrs ago I took the class for NCT. I could not find a job any where. My license expired. Now I was thinking of going back to school to be a certified tech, but after reading all of this I am afraid to. I am in my 50's & afraid to spend that money & not be able to get a job. Very sad.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.