Question for Techs in Miami, Florida or the South Florida region

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Anthony in Columbus, Ohio

43 months ago

What is the starting pay down there? I know there are no jobs at the moment, but I was curious about the wages down there. I graduated in June and I have two tech jobs here in Central Ohio. They both started me off at 18/Hour. I was thinking since the cost of living is higher down there that the starting salary might be a little more.

I grew up in Miami and went to High School there. I love it down there and I am hoping I can get back down there soon. Also, are most facilities there CR/DR or are they still using film?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Hialeah, Florida

41 months ago

Hey Anthony, it depends where you apply, for example Baptist normally starts techs out at around $21 per hour, my last tech job started me at $16 so go figure... I dont know how long you have been gone but the cost of living down here is NO JOKE. Also, it will be VERY unlikely for you to find 2 tech jobs down here, I have been searching since 2008 and have not found anything, thats 3 years in case you were wondering. Most facilities are using digital. As someone who grew up here and moved to another state just like you, I REGRET coming back here. You are right there are no jobs down here so think about what you want to do. Where do u work in Ohio? I would gladly take those jobs if you dont want them! LOL. This is MY personal experience, although most techs I know are haveing a very hard time finding work, they are working in other fields just like me. Good luck and I hope this might help you.

Anthony in Blacklick, Ohio

41 months ago

Jason in Hialeah, Florida said: Hey Anthony, it depends where you apply, for example Baptist normally starts techs out at around $21 per hour, my last tech job started me at $16 so go figure... I dont know how long you have been gone but the cost of living down here is NO JOKE. Also, it will be VERY unlikely for you to find 2 tech jobs down here, I have been searching since 2008 and have not found anything, thats 3 years in case you were wondering. Most facilities are using digital. As someone who grew up here and moved to another state just like you, I REGRET coming back here. You are right there are no jobs down here so think about what you want to do. Where do u work in Ohio? I would gladly take those jobs if you dont want them! LOL. This is MY personal experience, although most techs I know are haveing a very hard time finding work, they are working in other fields just like me. Good luck and I hope this might help you.

Thank you for the reply Jason. Yeah, even at 21/hour in Miami I would still only barely be getting by. Cost of living is through the roof. I wouldn't go back to Miami unless I was positive I could find a job within a few months. I have been gone since 2006 and have only been back on vacations.

I hate living here in Ohio but I have a job and that is all that matters (and the cost of living is much cheaper). I work in Columbus full time at Mount Carmel West, and I am casual at a doctor's office here in Columbus as well. I was very fortunate to get those positions because the market here in Ohio is not much better than Florida's.

If the market ever gets better I'm definitely heading back to Miami though.

Anny in San Jose, California

20 months ago

Hi Jason,

I am a bit curious..the $16-21/hr is for a Rad Tech 1 level (beginner) with just general xrays and maybe fluroroscopy (no CT, etc)?

Thanks!

-anny

Jason in Hialeah, Florida said: Hey Anthony, it depends where you apply, for example Baptist normally starts techs out at around $21 per hour, my last tech job started me at $16 so go figure... I dont know how long you have been gone but the cost of living down here is NO JOKE. Also, it will be VERY unlikely for you to find 2 tech jobs down here, I have been searching since 2008 and have not found anything, thats 3 years in case you were wondering. Most facilities are using digital. As someone who grew up here and moved to another state just like you, I REGRET coming back here. You are right there are no jobs down here so think about what you want to do. Where do u work in Ohio? I would gladly take those jobs if you dont want them! LOL. This is MY personal experience, although most techs I know are haveing a very hard time finding work, they are working in other fields just like me. Good luck and I hope this might help you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.