Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 298)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What are typical x ray technician salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

xray1995 in Reston, VA

94 months ago

Been an xray tech for 11 years and having a very hard time finding a job. I was earning 30 per hour if anyone out there knows of any openeings in Central JERSEY E-MAIL XRAY1995@AOL.COM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Tristan in Stamford, CT

94 months ago

Are you checking both "xray" and "x-ray" in your job search? I searched both and found more results using the hyphen. Just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

c-dawg in Phoenix, Arizona

83 months ago

going to school for computers or x-ray tech which one is better?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

JANE in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

That depends on your likes. As far as job security and plenty of jobs available, then
the medical field is #1 people will always need medical attention, so go check out being a radiologic technologist, mri technologist, or ultra sound technologist are all very hot feilds right now. You wont be sorry, Im very happy with my career as an mri technologist.
best of luck!
j

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CWIlson in Phoenix, Arizona

83 months ago

Your awesome thanks... Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Woodbridge, Virginia

82 months ago

What type of classes do you have to take to be a x-ray tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (121) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Monika in Houston, Texas

82 months ago

heyy i justt need some help with X-ray technician stufff likee how muchh doo you make an hour and what kind of classes doo you take in collage??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Hannah in Fort Worth, Texas

81 months ago

Im basically asking what everybody else is asking...Im thinking about starting school to become a radiology tech, and was wondering what classes you have to take, and about how long does it take you to become a radiology tech. If you have any answers for me please comment. Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (144) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

I am doing a project for school on careers, mines x-ray tech. what are the job requirements?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ANTONIO in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

Kevin in Los Angeles, California said: I am doing a project for school on careers, mines x-ray tech. what are the job requirements?

Thanks!

JOB REQUIREMENTS, ARRT CERTIFICATE FOR STARTERS. PRODUCTION OF XRAY FILMS, TAHT IS FROM POSITIONING THE BODY PART, EXPOSING THE FILM (ACTUAL GENERATION OF RADIATION) TO DEVLOPING THE FILM INSIDE THE DARKROOM.UNLESS THE SYSTEM IS DIGITAL AND THERE IS NO DARKROOM.. EXPERTISE IN PATIENT CARE, KNOWLEDGE OF HOSPITAL COMPUTER SYSTEM, PROFICIENCY IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, AND MORE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Harlingen, Texas

81 months ago

I have been doing this for 27 yrs. I am a general radiology technologist, cross trained in CT. I make almost $33 per hour at a local hospital. Most Accredited schools are 2 years for a Assc. in Applied Science. Look for a school that has a accredited x-ray program

good luck

Monika in Houston, Texas said: heyy i justt need some help with X-ray technician stufff likee how muchh doo you make an hour and what kind of classes doo you take in collage??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MONICA in West Palm Beach, Florida

81 months ago

I NEED TO GET ON MY FEET AND DO SOMETHING WITH MY LIFE. IM THINKING ABOUT BECOMING A X-RAY TECH. ONCE YOU HAVE COMPLETED TECH SCHOOL DO U BECOME AN ASSISTANT? HOW MUCH DO U MAKE?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Griselda in West Hills, California

81 months ago

Hi Antonio,

Are there any other requirements that need to be taken prior to starting the Licensing? I've always been interested in the medical field, but just never got myself to do it when I graduated from High School...I'd like to have a career, not just a job. What school do you recommend? Are the courses difficult? Sorry for all the questions, but I need some guidance. Thanks!

ANTONIO in Los Angeles, California said: IT TOOK ME 3.5 YEARS TO GET IT DONE. NO BACHELORS DEGREE. JUST FULL LICENSE CERTIFICATE.
YOU'RE TAKING ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, DARKROOM SCIENCE, RADIOLOGIC PHYSICS, STATISTICS, POSITIONING, PATIENT CARE, AND THE RULES AND REGULATIONS......
IT WAS FUN. NOW THERE'S A LOT OF JOBS FOR ME IN CALI.
I CAN'T EVEN FIND SOMEBODY TO RELIEVE ME SO I CAN GO ON VACATION.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Miami, Florida

81 months ago

What i recommend is that, you go to school, pass your boards and study mri or ct b/c xray is to competative not allot of jobs!!!!! ( to many techs)
mri or ct, thats where the money is at!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Largo, Florida

81 months ago

Hannah in Fort Worth, Texas said: Im basically asking what everybody else is asking...Im thinking about starting school to become a radiology tech, and was wondering what classes you have to take, and about how long does it take you to become a radiology tech. If you have any answers for me please comment. Thanks again.

I am enrolled at a school in Tampa called Ultimate Medical Academy. It will prepare me for my state exam for Basic X-ray Tech RT. From what I understand its way better money to take the two yr program at like a junior college(rad tech), it will train you in flouroscopy and you will make way more money because you will be ARRT certified upon passing the state exam. My program is just basic X-ray tech stuff. I'm limited to a 150bed hospital or less and the pay is between $15.00 to $18.00 dollars to start.(according to research I've done on statistics across the state of Florida. Now, a Rad Techs pay is $23.00 to $32.00 per hour starting. My particular school(supposedly)has further training in Lakeland(for flouroscopy)I'm told which would increase wages. I havent gotten the full details of that situation yet, a student told me about that. Pro's and cons...a basic X-ray tech program like mine is 4months of class and labs, and 240hrs of externship...so basically about 7months...and a certificate. A Rad tech is 2yrs(hence a 2yr degree ...an AS)and ARRT certified. Hope I helped alittle bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie Calvert in Satellite Provider

81 months ago

Im told that all you need is an associates degree to become a xray tech. Do you have to take more than 4 years of college to specialize in ct or mri? Also can you take most of your classes online?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Miami, Florida

80 months ago

Can anyone give me some pointers in CT??
Which is a good book to get?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in San Angelo, Texas

80 months ago

Hannah in Fort Worth, Texas said: Im basically asking what everybody else is asking...Im thinking about starting school to become a radiology tech, and was wondering what classes you have to take, and about how long does it take you to become a radiology tech. If you have any answers for me please comment. Thanks again.

The pre-requisites you have to take include, Anatomy and Physiology Part 1 and 2 and College Math. It is a 2 year program earning you an Associates in Applied Science. I will soon start the Program this fall 08. The salary I still haven't asked but I figured it is better than my current salary as Secretary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Cape Coral, Florida

79 months ago

Diana in Largo, Florida said: I am enrolled at a school in Tampa called Ultimate Medical Academy. It will prepare me for my state exam for Basic X-ray Tech RT. From what I understand its way better money to take the two yr program at like a junior college(rad tech), it will train you in flouroscopy and you will make way more money because you will be ARRT certified upon passing the state exam. My program is just basic X-ray tech stuff. I'm limited to a 150bed hospital or less and the pay is between $15.00 to $18.00 dollars to start.(according to research I've done on statistics across the state of Florida. Now, a Rad Techs pay is $23.00 to $32.00 per hour starting. My particular school(supposedly)has further training in Lakeland(for flouroscopy)I'm told which would increase wages. I havent gotten the full details of that situation yet, a student told me about that. Pro's and cons...a basic X-ray tech program like mine is 4months of class and labs, and 240hrs of externship...so basically about 7months...and a certificate. A Rad tech is 2yrs(hence a 2yr degree ...an AS)and ARRT certified. Hope I helped alittle bit.

Hi Diana, my name is Jeremy. I am looking into starting X-Ray Tech school and was wondering if you would recommend Ultimate Medical Acedemy's program? My plan is to go through that short program to get started in the field, and then go on to a 2 year college for my associates. Thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

carissa in Kirkland, Washington

79 months ago

Well i live in Seattle Wa and here you have to do almost 2 years of pre reqs and then get on a waiting list for any of the programs. Im currently in a program that took 2 years to get into AFTER i sunmitted my finished pre reqs. Its a increasinly popular carrer in this area. So if you can get into a program in your state right away, do it! people are making over 100k a year here if you do extra training like MRI CT Nuc med ext oh and the program is 21 months

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NIKI in San Diego, California

79 months ago

I am thinking of starting school for X-ray tech, but I am really interested in doing CT or ultrasound. Once finished with x ray tech school, how does one become an ultra sound tech or CT tech? Thanks alot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ADRIANA in Miami, Florida

78 months ago

JANET R.T. in Las Vegas, Nevada said: HI ,
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE AT LEAST 60K A YEAR, STUDY FOR THE MRI REGISTRY, PASS, REWRITE RESUME , AND START JOB SEARCH AT MONSTOR . IM CURRENTLY IN THE SAME BOAT, SO IM STUDYING FOR THE REGISTRY AND HOPING TO START A NEW CAREER IN MRI. ALOT OF JOBS OUT THERE. I SUGGEST STUDYING WITH A BOOK CALLED MRI REVIEW QUESTIONS & ANSWERS BY NICHOLAS JOHN AT AMAZON BOOKS.
MY CLASS BOUGHT 30 TO HELP US STUDY. WE LOVE IT, COMPARED TO OTHER BOOKS WE BOUGHT. WE ITS YOUR CHOICE. GOOD LUCK!
JANET

Janet, Is this the only way to get certified in MRI? pls help me,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Mike in Miami, Florida said: What i recommend is that, you go to school, pass your boards and study mri or ct b/c xray is to competative not allot of jobs!!!!! ( to many techs)
mri or ct, thats where the money is at!!!!

Mike in Miami, how can I get the MRI or CT certificates?,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kc in Palm Harbor, Florida

78 months ago

Diana in Largo, Florida said: I am enrolled at a school in Tampa called Ultimate Medical Academy. It will prepare me for my state exam for Basic X-ray Tech RT. From what I understand its way better money to take the two yr program at like a junior college(rad tech), it will train you in flouroscopy and you will make way more money because you will be ARRT certified upon passing the state exam. My program is just basic X-ray tech stuff. I'm limited to a 150bed hospital or less and the pay is between $15.00 to $18.00 dollars to start.(according to research I've done on statistics across the state of Florida. Now, a Rad Techs pay is $23.00 to $32.00 per hour starting. My particular school(supposedly)has further training in Lakeland(for flouroscopy)I'm told which would increase wages. I havent gotten the full details of that situation yet, a student told me about that. Pro's and cons...a basic X-ray tech program like mine is 4months of class and labs, and 240hrs of externship...so basically about 7months...and a certificate. A Rad tech is 2yrs(hence a 2yr degree ...an AS)and ARRT certified. Hope I helped alittle bit.

You do not even need school to be a basic xray tech. You buy the book to study through the state and take the state test. You will save a lot of money that way. It is hard to find a job doing just xrays though. You will probably need to be cross trained in some other position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Largo

78 months ago

To Diana in Largo,I amvery interested in hearing more about the UMA. I was just there and I need more info. Can you help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MJ in Colorado Springs, Colorado

78 months ago

Did anyone know about Pueblo Community College's Radiologic Technology program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MIKE FT LAUDERDALE

78 months ago

KC YOU WERE SAYING THAT YOU DONT NEED SCHOOL TO B A BASIC X RAY TECH.IF I JUST GO AND PASS THE STATE EXAM CAN I GO STRAIGHT TO SCHOOL FOR MRI AND CT OR DO I NEED COLLEGE CREDITS FIRST. DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON THE STATE EXAM?

THANK YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kc in Palm Harbor, Florida

78 months ago

Mike I am looking into the MRI right now. From what I looked up online you do need college credits for MRI. What I found out from talking to someone who runs a MRI business you do not.(I guess its who you know, not what you know!) I am not sure though???
To get your Basic Xray you just need to pass the state test. I will find the phone number for you to call and order the book to study. I will get back to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MIKE FT LAUDERDALE

78 months ago

thank you very much i really appreciate it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MIKE FT LAUDERDALE

78 months ago

thank you very much i really appreciate it

Mike in Miami, Florida

78 months ago

ADRIANA in Miami, Florida said: Mike in Miami, how can I get the MRI or CT certificates?,

Adriana, CT you could only learn it hands on.
Mri, there are a couple or courses in miami, South Florida Diagnostic Imaging has there own course but it's 3K.
YOU MUST BE ARRT CERTIFIED.

78 months ago

Thanks a lot for the info

MIKE FT LAUDERDALE

77 months ago

i am looking for A TOP SCHOOL IN BROWARD COUNTY OR PALM BEACH. DOES ANYONE NOW ANY GOOD SCHOOLS

JESUS in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

Doe anybody knows about PMI School is it good?www.pmi.edu. Is it real?

Elizabeth in Lutz, Florida

77 months ago

I am enrolled in UMA in Clearwater, for basic x-ray. I will be finished in 2 months. It was a 7 month course. I hear the most money afterwards is in cross training, like working in a clinic, and they will train you to do everything there, and then you just take a test and get certified and the pay keeps going up with every new certification. I laso hear there is a lot of overtime at clinics. this is all just what I hear from the instructors.

iwona in Worcester, Massachusetts

77 months ago

message board R.T

Mike in Miami, Florida

77 months ago

THERE IS NO WORK IN MIAMI FL!!!!!
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR 1 MONTH, AND NOTHING!!!
CAN ANYONE HELP?!

tran tan tai in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

76 months ago

An xray technician 16years experience, now working for the international Hospital in Hochiminh city, can speaking and writting English, I'm proud of this career, I'd like to know how to find a job in abroad .
Show me please ! Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Chandler, Arizona

76 months ago

JANEMR in Las Vegas, Nevada said: DUDE!
GO WEST, WE HAVE ALOT MRI POSITIONS ON THE WEST COAST AND AZ AREA PAYING $34 HR AND UP.You can also make more being a traveler, $50 hr and up..open up your options...it's a BIG WORLD out there..
good luck!
JANEMR

Has any one taken the mri review tour course. how does it rate in preparing you for the registry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

repunzel in Las Vegas, Nevada

76 months ago

JESUS in Houston, Texas said: Doe anybody knows about PMI School is it good?www.pmi.edu. Is it real?

i go to pmi now as a pharmacey tech , , they teach too fast . every other day there is a test. the counlers dont care if you are unhappy , i am trying to switch schools for xray tech .

Mike in Miami, Florida

76 months ago

Stick with it! You get the same crap in xray school.

x-ray tech in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

76 months ago

Mike in Miami, Florida said: THERE IS NO WORK IN MIAMI FL!!!!!
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR 1 MONTH, AND NOTHING!!!
CAN ANYONE HELP?![/QUO

Same here (more than 1 month now)

Mike in Miami, Florida

76 months ago

x-ray tech in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said:

Check Hotjobs.com. I see lots of jobs up in Fort Lauderdale.

sh42 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

76 months ago

JANEMR in Las Vegas, Nevada said: DUDE!
GO WEST, WE HAVE ALOT MRI POSITIONS ON THE WEST COAST AND AZ AREA PAYING $34 HR AND UP.You can also make more being a traveler, $50 hr and up..open up your options...it's a BIG WORLD out there..
good luck!
JANEMR

Hi, I have just begun looking into taking courses for x-ray tech. I see that you said to go the MRI route. where would I begin for taking classes? I live in florida and wanted to check into this more and begin taking courses. Are you currently working in the field?

Michelle in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

Michael in Harlingen, Texas said: I have been doing this for 27 yrs. I am a general radiology technologist, cross trained in CT. I make almost $33 per hour at a local hospital. Most Accredited schools are 2 years for a Assc. in Applied Science. Look for a school that has a accredited x-ray program

good luck

Does anyone know of any x-ray tech schools/programs that are accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology near Houston, TX?

Jim in Tampa, Florida

76 months ago

kc in Palm Harbor, Florida said: You do not even need school to be a basic xray tech. You buy the book to study through the state and take the state test. You will save a lot of money that way. It is hard to find a job doing just xrays though. You will probably need to be cross trained in some other position.

If you do as you say and pass the state exam,what other position would be best to be cross trained in to get your foot in the door somewhere? Is this very likely?
Do you have a better route you would suggest?

kc in Clearwater, Florida

76 months ago

Some schools offer a medical assistat program that will cross train you for your basic xray. That would be better than going for xray and cross traing for something else. There are not a lot of job openings for xray in this area from what i can tell. Good luck.

Jim in Tampa, Florida

76 months ago

kc in Clearwater, Florida said: Some schools offer a medical assistat program that will cross train you for your basic xray. That would be better than going for xray and cross traing for something else. There are not a lot of job openings for xray in this area from what i can tell. Good luck.

Thanks Kc for your input. The M.A. thing you said does make sense.

Jim in Tampa, Florida

76 months ago

kc in Palm Harbor, Florida said: Mike I am looking into the MRI right now. From what I looked up online you do need college credits for MRI. What I found out from talking to someone who runs a MRI business you do not.(I guess its who you know, not what you know!) I am not sure though???
To get your Basic Xray you just need to pass the state test. I will find the phone number for you to call and order the book to study. I will get back to you.

This state test and book thing. Have you posted any info on this book and phone number for Mike here? I would be interested as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.