Too many Radiography schools/programs in your area?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 172)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Dannielle in Eugene, Oregon

58 months ago

RT in Conn.

Sarcasm is sometimes lost a bit in blogs I suppose. What I find interesting is to hear such conflicting information regarding the field especially from those in it versus what the Bureau of Labor notes on their page. If there is such a massive growth trend/outlook for over a 10 year period you would think that those on this forum would be able to find a job. And I do say trend since their information includes the past years of 2008 and 2009.

"Employment of radiologic technologists is expected to increase by about 17 percent from 2008 to 2018, faster than the average for all occupations." ( I too can cut and paste). Even if it only increased by 10% that is still a pretty significant number of job openings.

But the majority of the comments on this page seem to say that they were misled with the job outlook and stability, there are no jobs, and that the RT schools are nothing short of mills churning out more people than needed for the field. So while on one hand I was being sarcastic, there does seem to be a disconnect between what it supposed to be and what is. And yes, I am fully aware that there is a geographical factor involved in the equation but it does seem to be fair cross section of the country and experience on this forum saying similar things. For now I am just trying to sort out the best route for my own career, whether or not to skip RT and go straight into therapy or risk spending the extra time and money on a potentially closed field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

desperately rob in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

Hi.im a radiologic technologist graduate in philipines with 8 years of hospital experienced in CT-SCAN.i recently came to chicago.what i've knwn is that foreign Radtech is not recognized in the US.so do u think folks i need to go to radiography school again and finish the 2 years or 4 years course to be able to sit for the ARRT exam?so worried now.any one same as like my situation now please give me some info.thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Daryll

58 months ago

Dannielle in Eugene, Oregon said: RT in Conn.

Dannielle do not choose this as a field because of the job outlook. Please choose to be an RN. You will only go to school about 2 1/2 to 3 yrs and will start off at 25/hr, and after about 5 yrs you will be around 32-34 /hr. I have 3 sister in laws that are newly minted RNs. They all received jobs. One quit 3 different places, and the next day got jobs with no interviews.. The demand is over whelming. There are 100 applicants for every scarce job in Rad tech, and I hear regardless of how many years experience a hospital will look at on your app, the automatic screening software at the companies that filter their apps like Hire bridge, Taleo are set to only send the few % of apps that a human will actually view. Saying, like I only want to see people with minimum 5 yrs experience with 2 modalities etc etc......Also in certain cities, there is an abundance of military retirees and the software is set to only forward military people who received training in the service in this field. Why did I go to school for 3 yrs? Why did I try hard maintaining 3.80 as it is all relevant, when if you don't have CT, and you don't have minimum 5 yrs, they won't even consider you? I hear also that the HCA/Tenet hospital systems only hire 4 month schooled practical techs from the Philippines and then "train" them to have just enough clinical hours for them to sit for the ARRT registry. But, they then don't give them the full 24/hr Rad tech salary because they just look for another batch of part time techs with the H1B visas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dannielle in Eugene, Oregon

58 months ago

Thanks for your input Daryll.

I am still curious about radiation therapy though, does anyone out there have any personal experience with this field? One of the paths that I am considering is getting the AAS in radiology then the Cert in Therapy. Would love to hear any insight from those with experience.

Daryll

58 months ago

Radiation therapy is big money Danielle. Some community colleges certify primarily in Radiation therapy. You should get the Radiation therapy at the forefront instead of hoping to get the certificate later. Go to a Primary program, even if it is a bachelors program. I am in a program leading to a bachelor in health sciences degree with an emphasis on radiation therapy although I will stay in diagnostic. But, I highly recommend you as a female to take Sonography. There are now 2 yr programs, and you will always be in demand. I have a friend who is taking a 2 yr online radiation therapy program though you have to find your own hospital. This guy is a nice guy, 24 and energetic, smart. The hospital where I did my Rad clincals only took two students to train in radiation therapy and luckily, he was one of them. He is so happy. So this may be a field where the opportunities are very small and limited, but if you have that get go patient orientated outlook, it may be for you if you can get in. I think he is going to Walden University. I got my AAS at Community college and am now online pursuing Bachelors, although I can't get a hospital job with 6 months experience as a mobile tech. And your clinicals don’t mean squat, even if you spent it at a level-one trauma center.

RTinCT in Madison, Connecticut

58 months ago

Dannielle in Eugene, Oregon said: RT in Conn.
Sarcasm is sometimes lost a bit in blogs I suppose.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I've seen dozens of posts, as you have, about how "they" (sometimes the government, sometimes schools, sometimes I'm not sure) are misleading people into thinking that imaging is the goose that laid the golden egg, and I don't know where that comes from.

I don't know how anyone can hear their neighbors, watch or read the news and think that any industry (including healthcsre) is flourishing.

4 years ago, when some of these folks getting ready to graduate got on a wait list for a radiography program, they were being told that there were jobs - because there were. We ALL thought that healthcare would never slow down, that cuts to reimbursement would not affect us, that massive jobs losses (=fewer patients with insurance=fewer patients that pay their bill=less revenue for healthcare providers who have to take non-paying patients) would not have any affect on us ... 'cause were in healthcare, for heaven's sake.

And here we are. No one is untouched. I just shake my head when I read things like, "Be an RN, there are lots of jobs for RN's". No, there aren't. There are jobs in some areas of the country and fewer jobs in others. Just like radiography, and trucking and the airline industry.

No terrific answers, no great solutions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Spectro in Washington, District of Columbia

58 months ago

Hoover in Dothan, Alabama said: I'm sorry, but I just don't believe this at all. This is the most over-saturated the market has ever been. I can't imagine anyone paying that to a new hire, let alone someone with less than 5 years of experience. Granted I live in one of the lowest paying areas in the nation...

It's likely true. I live in the DC metro area and Washington DC is one of the most expensive areas in the country. Hell, if you can find a decent 1BR apartment in a nearby VA suburb (MD is generally cheaper) that is less than $1,000/month AND a 30 minute commute to/from work, that is a major accomplishment...lets not even talk about amenities.

Keep in mind that those were PRN pay rates and I could be wrong, but there are no benefits.

I am about to complete my hospital-based RT program in a few months. This is for a certificate, not an associates degree. These forums really used to scare me, but now I really think that the demand for RTs (in any modality) is a regional phenomenon. People who have graduated from my program have had success in getting jobs. Graduating classes can be anywhere from 8 to 13 people. A couple have cross-trained in CT or MRI immediately after graduation, some have gone into IR. Note that getting into advanced modalities is very competitive and a degree in the sciences can help. If not, it will give you career options.

Jobs are out there everybody. You just have to rise above the rest and TALK to everybody. I met a CT manager at my barber! His name came up in conversation a year later when I was speaking with a nurse at a party and BOOM, I got a full observational/hands-on day at their hospital's radiology department. Learn to summarize your bio and ambitions into a few sentences that anyone can understand in regular conversation. If you want it, you can get it, you just need to find out who can help you or how to get it.

good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LadyK in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

58 months ago

Thanks Spectro. That really gives me some hope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anna in Smithtown, New York

57 months ago

hi, i am interested in radiology.which schools are offering radiology in longisland,ny.please help me

susan in Mocksville, North Carolina

57 months ago

spectro - you're lucky the classes are so small. the cc i attended graduates on average 23...and i was unfortuante enough to find myself graduating last july after 25 had graduated in may and another 20some graduating this may. additionally, our 2 hospitals here (and they are large) are laying off techs - one laid off 11 in one day! so in addition to competing with new grads, i am up against experienced techs as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Williams in Richmond, Virginia

57 months ago

Sad about the job Market in Martinsville, Virginia said: There seems to be no jobs in VA. The new grads definitely have an upperhand versus experience. I used to work at a Virginia and The turnover was horrible because the the old timers sucked and there were too many students, Not to mention lazy students. Also, the students got accepted into the programs before some of the regular employees. Now people have to stay in there jobs because there are none and when one opens up there are usually over fifty applicants. There are probably ten schools in central VA alone. Sick

Totally agree, I graduate in May and there's hardly anything out there. I've looked all over VA and applied to a new hospital, but so far no luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rich in Panama City Beach, Florida

56 months ago

Brian in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am going to School for X-Ray Technician here in Cleveland OHIO where the Cleveland Clinic is located and where University Hospitals connected to Case Western Reserve is. My ambition is too work as a X-Ray Technician and learn the MRI Machine where the sky is the limit. The salary to start here is 50K+. Nurses make the same starting. I did the research and the field is growing here and needs alot of X-ray techs until 2019 where it may level off. Ohio needs X-ray Techs and Nurses to endure the Baby Boomers that are reaching an older age and need more healthcare. Ohio and Florida are 2 states where healthcare is booming and the salarys I feel are going to go up with the demand of healthcare professionals. I did meet Healthcare Professionals in X-Ray Techs and they all were there for several years. So i do think it depends on where you live.

i'd mark florida off that list. unless you are talking about a prn job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DJ in Pompano Beach, Florida

56 months ago

IT CRAZY IN MY AREA IN FLORIDA ITS ABOUT 8 SCHOOLS THAT OFFER THE XRAY PROGRAM AND ABOUT 3 HOSPITAL BASED X RAY PROGRAMS I CAN WAIT TILL THE MARKET OPEN BACK UP I LOVE DOING XRAY BUT CANT FIND A JOB SO I WENT BACK TO SCHOOL FOR HISTOLOGY TECHNOLOGY AND I HATE IT CAUSE ITS NO JOBS IN THAT FIELD I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO GO TO SCHOOL FOR THAT MAKE ABOUT 40K A YEAR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jim789 in Anonymous Proxy

56 months ago

I give up on the x-ray field. It's too hard to be successful. I feel like the time I spent in school was a waste of time........

salenn in Phoenix, Arizona

56 months ago

Daryll in Marion, Texas said: You should not get into RT at all, as this field will be dead for about next 8 yrs. Tom; I'm letting you know now before it is too late. You should do RN, or if you don't want all those headaches, become an RT Resp therapist. They are in demand in all states. DO NOT DO XRAY! Even 5 yr techs aren’t even getting a call back. The only people getting calls are 5 yr experienced CT techs. DON'T GO TO A PRIVATE XRAY SCHOOL. My God I wouldn't pay the 11,000 a year they want like PMI for no job when you get out. I was fortunate to get my degree at a community college 1,000/yr. I still have no job 10 months out. I had a part time mobile job but gave it to my friend when I had to move out of state because my spouse RN had to relocate.
Hello,
There have been too many x-ray techs for years. I have been one for many years and realized it is a sad state of affairs in Phoenix. AZ medical imaging office in north Scottsdale,AZ ran an ad on Craigslist for CT and MRI techs for 21.90 and hour. The manager told me GONE are the days of the 40 dollar MRI tech.He told me 16 techs responded and he hired a few that would work for the low pay. How sad. The recession has destroyed the radiology market. I would advise respiratory therapy, occupational therapy, or physical therapy. They are in great demand.

Those private x-ray schools ought to shut down for 5 yrs with the glut in the market. It is a disgrace that they are still open. I do have to admit since the urgent care centers only hire 12/hr practical techs, who must also answer the phones, draw blood, clean the toilets, places like Apollo college are fulfilling a need training "Techs" in like 8 months.

sorry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

No X-Ray Jobs in Irvington, New Jersey

56 months ago

There are little to no X-ray tech jobs anywhere across the country. Just look at the job search websites and other sources. Articles like this fool people into getting into a field where after spending thier precious time and money, will leave you unemployed! To many people have gotten into this filed and have saturated the market. Employers know this, and they are paying less money as demand for workers go down. The future in Radiology is sad at best. Find another career to get into. I don't know where the positive job projection articles about Radiology are getting thier information, but they are lying.

CT girl in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

FLOOD, FLOOD, FLOOD.....it is a crime to keep these schools open and keep LYING to people about a so called "demand". All I have seen in Pa are layoffs and cut hours. No jobs at ALL. When I came into the field 10 yrs ago I received a $10,000 sign on bonus for xray, now I am in CT and can't go anywhere. My job cut everyone from 40 to 32 hours and layed off 42 people.....yet, the schools out there keep lying and sucking these people dry of their money! I tell people no how, no way go to school for this crap! I can't believe how stuck I am. I have no faith in the system....and RN's don't have a chance either. If you don't have a lot of experience forget it. All the GN's in the area are now assistants and wiping asses....worse yet, if you go to unemployment or some government agency for benefits the first carrer "in demand" is health care.....I am not happy with the way things have turned out in Radiology....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kg76 in Port Richey, Florida

53 months ago

OMG- It is so true! I am a recent Graduate myself- waited 3 yrs to get into my program. When I first decided to go for x-ray there were jobs everywhere! Now I am an out-of-work, freshly graduated RT who can't find a job in my area! Some of the places won't even look at you unless you have experience let alone a fresh meat newbie to the field! The sad part is there is no way to get more experience unless someone hires you and no one is hiring! So at the moment I am a stay at home mom since there is no point in working at McDonald's at minimum wage when it would all go to childcare! I had hoped this was going to be my ticket to get off of gov. help and to get enough experience to have the ability to move the heck out of FL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wsnheimer in Crystal Lake, Illinois

53 months ago

My recommendation for anyone going into any specialized field is to contact the associations for that field; talk to HR departments and the Managers of these departments (ie: Radiology Dept Supervisor) and those about to graduate if you can. The ASRT wrote an article just before I graduated in 2009 that basically said "shame on the colleges and hospitals" for misleading people about the job market expectations over the next several years and for flooding the market. They also said in one way or another that they are milling out more graduates than this or any near future market will be capable of sustaining.

One goes into college expecting to become gainfully employed, able to support oneself and family and have full benefits within about 6 months or less of graduation. We are lead to believe this expectation is not unreasonable. Then when there is no work we are told it is "Cyclical" and to go back and add on another modality to improve our odds. (While thousands of others in our shoes do the same and we are right back where we started.)

In 2008 it was taking most techs more than 6 months to find part time work; by 2009 most grads could not even get per diem/float pool/0-hour. after 12 months, I finally found a per diem-per case job where I am underpaid by $5/hr and I am lucky if I earn $50 in one week. I interviewed for 4 jobs. Two months into this job I have had a good interview for a job out of state but it is only float pool so even though it is going to be almost full-time (if I get hired) I have no benefits. My son and I have a need for medical insurance - can't survive without it.

This is not cyclical and it is not geographical. It is all over the country and in the UK from what I have learned through my network. SOMEONE has got to stop this false advertising of this and other specialized programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jpulido in Chicago, Illinois

53 months ago

radtechlady in hughesville, Maryland said: I graduated and passed my boards a year and a half ago. I was offered two jobs before I even graduated from my Radiographer program. I worked as a PRN at both jobs and had no problem getting all the hours I could handle. One job was at Children 's hospital in Washington DC making $35 per hour and the other was as a CT tech making $29 at a local hospital. I saw a full time position as a cardiac cath tech that was posted at the local hospital where I did my CT...I applied and was hired. I am training in that position now at $40 per hour with benefits, working Monday thru Friday, holidays off, lots of on call and overtime, I have a stipulation in writing to get a raise in one year after training. The advice I can offer to anyone going into the field is to work as hard as you can in your clinicals. My success is because when I was in school I had to do 60 hours of CT and while everyone else just tried to get there hours over with, I went to my clinicals with the intent to impress the boss and get a job out of it. I cleaned the room, stocked the cabinets, wiped down films, made sure rooms had sheets and gloves etc. My class mates made fun of me and said that they were there to learn and not to clean...I got jobs and they did not! Don't be discouraged, you can make money in this field and there is so much room to cross over into another modality once you get your foot in the door...so work hard and shine above everyone, you can relax more once your hired!

Thank you so much for having a positive outlook on your career choice and job market. I was a little discouraged reading all the above comments. I am a strong believer that if you work hard enough for it you will shine above the rest. I have 1 more week until I graduate wish me luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TabbyRT(R) in Newport News, Virginia

53 months ago

There really are NO jobs in Virginia, specifically Hampton Roads - unless you want to drive over an hour each way to work. The school I went to has changed from a 24 month program to an 18 month program popping out 30-32 new graduates each time. The market is bombarded with technologist & people are having to move to find employment -- which is fine for those who don't have families, but it's very difficult to uproot a spouse & children. We are ALL annoyed at the statistics....

TabbyRT(R) in Newport News, Virginia

53 months ago

There really are NO jobs in Virginia, specifically Hampton Roads - unless you want to drive over an hour each way to work. The school I went to has changed from a 24 month program to an 18 month program popping out 30-32 new graduates each time. The market is bombarded with technologist & people are having to move to find employment -- which is fine for those who don't have families, but it's very difficult to uproot a spouse & children. We are ALL annoyed at the statistics....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rfigueroa in Orlando, Florida

53 months ago

Thank you for your words of encouragement in a world full of negativity! Again, thanks!

53 months ago

radtechlady in hughesville, Maryland: Your efforts are no different than a great many of us out here who did not get jobs. If you live in a part of the country that is less desirable to the masses (colder, harder winters for instance) your chances are better. No offence, but your statements about your performance insinuate that those who didn't get jobs just didn't try hard enough which could not be further from the truth in many, many cases.

It used to be the case that where you did your internship you and those you trained with were ALL hired before you graduated. Those days do not exist any more.
The ASRT wrote about the over-saturation due to far too many colleges and hospitals milling out far too many grads every year that the job market cannot sustain the masses of RTs in 2009. No one can get through a good program without working their behind off. In Illinois there are a great deal of programs taking large numbers of students that you would have to replace every working tech with the graduates and likely still have grads without jobs.

At my college, you had to maintain a 93% to earn an A, an 86% to maintain a B and you failed if you got less than 78%. If you earned a 92.98, you got a 92%. If you could not comp on an exam without any assistance or mistakes you failed the comp. You could not fail more than 3 and if you missed a day at clinicals for any reason your grade was dropped a full letter grade for that year...miss 3 days and you fail.

Other colleges have given extra credit upon extra credit and rounded up on grades to get the maximum graduates & make their program look successful. Most people who get jobs early do so by knowing someone. For every job posted, an average of roughly 300 techs apply. It is this way in many parts of the county so techs willing to relocate are applying to these jobs as well as seasoned techs, new grads and grads from the past year who haven't found work or enough work.

Keith_ in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

this thread is very depressing. i would really like to pursue going to school for this(thought it was a really great idea until finding this thread) but now i'm definitely considering changing my mind. is there any chance of jobs being more available 3 years from now? (when i would be looking for a job after schooling)

any advice for other medical careers that i can get into with just a 2 year degree?

Denise, CST,FA

53 months ago

Terry in Phoenix, Arizona said: Your absolutely right, There are 5 xray schools in Phoenix alone. there is a flood in the market, for xray techs. The specialties are different. There are a shortage of nuclear med and MRI, and ultrasound techs, and mammo. they are still in great demand.
I would never haven gotten into this field had I known what I know now. you'll never not have to work overtime, if you want to live in the nicer areas. Your wife will allways have to work to help with the bills. you'll never make as much as a successfull career person. (never make a 100k) you can make a living, but you'll always be on a budget. This field tops our to soon, your only worth as much as the market bears. Remember the schools are pumping out students year after year. when you start making good money they replace you with a newly trained person and save on pay.
I don't recomend this field to any body.
Go to nursing school.

Hey, come to Greenville, New Bern, Wilmington and Jacksonville, NC. We need Radiology, Respiratory, and Medical Assistants with Phlebotomy certs. also. We have tons of openings here and also many on the Marine Corp Bases with great pay. North Carolina has beautiful uncrowded beaches.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

53 months ago

Keith_ in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: this thread is very depressing. i would really like to pursue going to school for this(thought it was a really great idea until finding this thread) but now i'm definitely considering changing my mind. is there any chance of jobs being more available 3 years from now? (when i would be looking for a job after schooling)

any advice for other medical careers that i can get into with just a 2 year degree?

If x-ray is something you really want to do, don't allow yourself to be so easily influenced. However, don't expect to be an easy road either when getting started. It's just like any other career, you have be persistent and work your way up. Here you're only getting one side of the story of people who very disgruntled. Follow your passion and success will come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I have a friend in the ASRT who has stated that it is not expected to improve until after about 8 years or more. If you need to support yourself; need to contribute more than 500.00 a month to your family income or need health benefits, this is not the career to go into.

Also new in this field is that employers are moving toward hiring RT's with a Bachelors degree instead of the Associates degree so it will cost you more to go to school and take you longer. The current Associates requires about a year of pre-requisites and then two full years for the program - no summers off.

Another consideration is learning more than one modality. Employers in a lot of the country want people who do x-ray and CT or Mammography and even MRI. If you decide to learn more than one, don't delay between programs. Get your Registry exam scheduled right after graduation (ARRT) and get moving on the next modality. Radiation Therapy is another option which you would only need x-ray for. (not CT, Mamms or MRI)When you graduate, take ANY job you can get and keep looking for something better. MOST employers want paid work experience.

If you choose to look elsewhere, forget nursing. Many, many people have turned to nursing because the markets are so bad just about everywhere right now. The colleges are projecting the same problem in the coming years for nurses. Also, I was told that more and more doctor's offices and facilities other than hospitals are hiring Medical Assistants instead of Nurses and CNA's. This is the next big thing right now. It pays a lot less than nursing but the MA can do a lot of things the RN does on the cheap.

Anything you look into, contact the Associations for that trade - they don't want thier membership unemployed so they will be honest about what the job outlook really is.

53 months ago

Dannielle in Eugene, Oregon said: I have yet to see anyone talk about Radiation therapy? Does anyone out there have any experience or info about this field?
I am currently trying to get into RT to get and AAS then move onto the Cert progam in Radiation therapy. The idea was to have the tech job as a fall back incase I couldn't find a therapy job. I am now seriously considering just going into therapy directly and skipping the tech.

Also, can anyone explain why the DOL has so grossly misled us with their statistics? I know that the government is far from infallible, but if the bloggers on this page are accurate it seems that they are bordering on negligence.

When I check this websi

Many facilities want you to have at least 2 years RT(R) experience before they will hire you in RT(T) or anything other than general x-ray. Many programs require the RT(R) before you can take the RT(T) program as well. Contact the ASRT or the ARRT with your concerns and they will be honest with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CT girl in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia said: If x-ray is something you really want to do, don't allow yourself to be so easily influenced. However, don't expect to be an easy road either when getting started. It's just like any other career, you have be persistent and work your way up. Here you're only getting one side of the story of people who very disgruntled. Follow your passion and success will come.

I promise you that you need to reconsider this field prior to shelling out thousands of dollars on a program that will put you in a job at McDonald. Don't get me wrong I have been doing this for 10 yrs and I do have a fulltime job. I have a large network of friends in the field all over Philadelphia. They two have jobs...however there are a large number of them working at 3-5 facilities working prn just to make ends meet. I know that someone is telling you to pursue your career in this but they have no clue. The market is horrible. I am stuck where I am and can not go anywhere. I would never detour anyone from going out and working towards a career to better themselves. I think that you just need to look into this more. Talk to people in the field....go to a hospital and ask the director of radiology if you can shadow. Our hospital does this every day. When you go ASK the techs all the quesions you need to. Good luck in all your efforts.

DJ

53 months ago

CONSIDER BECOMING A MEDICAL TECHNOLOGIST I WENT TO RADIOLOGY SCHOOL TO ONLY DO IT FOR 5 YEARS THEN GOT LAID OFF AND COULD NOT FIND ANOTHER FT XRAY JOB SO I WENT BACK TO SCHOOL GOT A 2YR DEGREE IN MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY AND I LOVE IT ITS IN DEMAND HERE IN FLORIDA

53 months ago

CT girl in Lansdale, Pennsylvania said: I promise you that you need to reconsider this field prior to shelling out thousands of dollars on a program that will put you in a job at McDonald. Don't get me wrong I have been doing this for 10 yrs and I do have a fulltime job. I have a large network of friends in the field all over Philadelphia. They two have jobs...however there are a large number of them working at 3-5 facilities working prn just to make ends meet. I know that someone is telling you to pursue your career in this but they have no clue. The market is horrible. I am stuck where I am and can not go anywhere. I would never detour anyone from going out and working towards a career to better themselves. I think that you just need to look into this more. Talk to people in the field....go to a hospital and ask the director of radiology if you can shadow. Our hospital does this every day. When you go ASK the techs all the quesions you need to. Good luck in all your efforts.

I'm sorry that you feel this way about your profession and the fact that you find me to be so clueless. I have talked to professionals and not one of them have mislead me in anyway. I'm aware very how difficult getting started is and realistic about it. They have in fact have made me aware of the issues and helped me plan a course of action to be successful. They are not affiliated with schools, but are working in the field. Most shocking to me, is you have the gall to give me advice about my career choices when you know nothing about me. No offense, I have plenty of contacts in the medical field that I find much more trustworthy. In addition to this, I've either shared or discussed the comments on these forums with them and what they see or hear they're shocked by the lack of professionalism and amount misinformation that takes place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I don't think anyone means any harm by persuading people not to go into radiology.... Just the opposite.

You can find a lot of good advice and make very helpful connections through Linkedin by joining groups in Imaging. They are very supportive. I have gotten some great leads through them and have had a wonderful cheering section during my job search. I even had a connection voluntarily revamp my resume. If this is your true passion, the path will be difficult but worth it! It may take a lot longer than it used to to find work but if you know people in the business you are way ahead of the game. It took me a long time because my area is one the worst saturated areas with more than six school and hospital programs within 1 1/2 hours drive that mill out between 20-50 grads per year. The ASRT and ARRT as well as your state RT associations can all give you information...I recommend getting student memberships if you persue this career.

Employers like to see that and volunteer work on your resume. Many places also will hire you with a limited license where licensing is required. There are certain exams you can't do but you will be way ahead of the other students with experience long before you graduate. I didn't find that tidbit out until I was about to graduate....people kept it a secret so they'd be one up on the rest of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daryll in Marion, Texas

53 months ago

Quote from prior commenter
Another consideration is learning more than one modality. Employers in a lot of the country want people who do x-ray and CT or Mammography and even MRI. If you decide to learn more than one, don't delay between programs. Get your Registry exam scheduled right after graduation (ARRT) and get moving on the next modality. Radiation Therapy is another option which you would only need x-ray for. (not CT, Mamms or MRI)When you graduate, take ANY job you can get and keep looking for something better. MOST employers want paid work experience.

Anything you look into, contact the Associations for that trade - they don't want their membership unemployed so they will be honest about what the job outlook really is.

quote from Daryll

“You mentioned one thing that I don’t believe is exactly true. You feel the association will let you know if the field is saturated so the people wont be discouraged. I maintain if the field gets discouraged, the association won't have new members any more. I have one question for you all. Why is it in the 3 years since the great recession in the US began, the ASRT, the ARRT or even the scanner magazine won’t discuss "IN ARTICLES" the state of the job market, EVER. They only have happy stories about how you CAN succeed with an ARRT certificate. The only inkling of otherwise is when they release their annual job survey. But, they do it in list form not as a dismal article. Even the asrt scanner magazine should be informing naive new students of the current state of the job market."

Daryll

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

To "Daryll in Marion, Texas":

Actually, the ASRT DID address it in one of the journals (Radiologic Technologist) around April of 2009 I believe. They stressed that the market could no longer sustain the vast number of graduates the colleges are milling out and that SOMEONE has got to do something about it to stop the high rate of unemployed techs. It was in so many words saying shame on the colleges and hospitals for this mess.

It is true that associations will tell you how it is...I have asked them. They have nothing to gain and much to lose with high numbers of unemployed members and a dropping off of membership. Membership is how they are funded. They are professionals in our field who want to help us succeed - I know this because I have had plenty of interaction with several of them and have a friend in the ASRT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donald_ in Cliffside Park, New Jersey

53 months ago

I've thought about doing x ray, but I spent a few days searching for entry level jobs on the websites of the major hospitals in my area to see what the market is like. The verdict: Not a single entry level position. NONE. I did not even see any experienced x ray tech positions.

At the same time I was also considering nursing. I went to an open house at a nursing school right down the street from the NY stock exchange and during the session, the head of admissions told us that this January they are going to be starting their own x ray program. So supply will increase while jobs will not.

53 months ago

"Donald_ in Cliffside Park, New Jersey"

Contact an association for nurses and ask about the outlook. I have friends in the business who said the medical offices are no longer hiring nurses but in their place -- Medical Assistants at a much lower pay scale. That is why the MA programs are budding everywhere now.

Always try to contact an association for the field you are interested in.

53 months ago

Thanks for the great info, trying to help people get started, and not contributing to the negativity.

Nobody has a crystal ball about what the field is going to do or about our individual experiences, so will jaded critics please refrain from telling people that they will wind up working at McDonalds because imaging is dead. This is not a from of "protecting." It so far from the truth and is terrible for you and trying to make others to think the same way.

The third leading cause of deaths in this country is cardiovascular disease. And obesity is an epidemic. Think about it while the negativity here has taken you to flipping burgers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

So what if medical offices are not hiring nurses? The majority of nurses work in hospitals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

It is possible for an x ray tech, or anyother educated individual, to end up working at McDonalds due to a lack of jobs. I don't think you should immediately dismiss such a thing as fear mongering. Check out this story. I am sure there are many more just like it:

www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/worklife/02/05/starbucks.saved.my.life/index.html

53 months ago

Donald_ in Cliffside Park, New Jersey said: It is possible for an x ray tech, or anyother educated individual, to end up working at McDonalds due to a lack of jobs. I don't think you should immediately dismiss such a thing as fear mongering. Check out this story. I am sure there are many more just like it:

www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/worklife/02/05/starbucks.saved.my.life/index.html

Nice article and he's sounds like a great role model for those who slam imaging. Being laid off is sometimes the best thing that can happen and forces someone to re-vaulate their lives.

From what I've read here there are few veterans with their heads on straight and they are the few that give me something to contemplate. Donald you are not one of them.

Here's why, the people I've chosen to listen to love their job for all the right reasons and they love sharing it with new prospects. Not the other way around. They're excited that they can share and teach it to someone who is genuinely interested. So when you are honest with yourself, people are open and honest with you. They have spoken rather frankly to me about what to expect and I know which questions to ask because I read before hand. So, when I ask their opinion on it, they help clarify. These are the experts I surround myself with, yes well educated and beyond masters. In fact, they indicated to me blow off these forums. However, I feel that there are young individuals visiting this site, who are easily influenced which need to read about this. Someday they will make great technologists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Common Sense in Mesa, Arizona

53 months ago

I'm sorry but you all sound pitiful! Get off your asses and go find work! The economy is hurting EVERYONE right now. So is it wise to say that there is no future is Radiology? You'd be a fool to not pursue your dreams just because the economy sucks RIGHT NOW and because of hear say. Who's to say it will be as bad in the next couple of years?? So go ahead and change majors, drop out of school, and b.i.t.c.h and complain about not getting enough hours and not being able to find work because you will be helping those who actually have sense enough to continue their education and be hopeful about the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Common Sense in Mesa, Arizona

53 months ago

Oh and if you think Nursing is where its at.. your dead wrong! They have it terrible right now, and who wants to deal with all of the stress that they have to deal with anyway...be wiser people. Just my two cents, deuces.

Daryll in Marion, Texas

53 months ago

Friend in Mesa, You are an arrogant piece of crap. I hope you fall on your as.... looking for a job in Phoenix you piece of sh..... Ive sent out over 500 apps since I got out over a year ago only one call back. I went straight to NAU for my bachelors in imaging. I carry a 4.0 now and finished Pima college with a 3.90 phi theta kappa and I can't find a job. IT IS THAT BAD OUT THERE MY FRIEND.

Hmmm in Mesa, Arizona

53 months ago

Interesting, how did you get a bachelor's in imaging from NAU when they don't accept Pima's associate degree? Are you sure you're not fluffing your story?

Daryll

53 months ago

I don’t have my degree yet and to clear up the name Pima isn’t “PMI” it’s Pima community college in Tucson an AAS in radiologic technology and yes they gave me 81 hrs out of my 91. Pima College has a reciprocal agreement with NAU. I am taking all my courses online and love it. Nau also has a 90/30 program where I only had to take 30 hrs at NAU for a generic inter displanary BS degree, but I chose the Rad imaging/radiation health sciences degree program. However, I'll bet this degree won't even get me a basic x-ray job somewhere as this really doesn’t impress those rad dept managers very much. Maybe I can teach somewhere someday.

Any way thanks for chatting
Sorry about the harsh words,
Daryll

Hmmm in Mesa, Arizona

53 months ago

I entered into NAU and I am about to start into my AAS from CAC as well. My plan however is to eventually get into Loma Linda and perhaps become an RA, or maybe just go to PA school, I'm not entirely sure at this point.

Good luck to you Daryll

53 months ago

"Being laid off is sometimes the best thing that can happen..."

I have some laid off friends you can tell that to. Although you better not, because that might get you thrown out a window.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Is that a threat? ... because verbal assault gains trust of everyone and I'm sure Indeed would like to hear about it.

53 months ago

Donald_ in Cliffside Park, New Jersey said: "Being laid off is sometimes the best thing that can happen..."

I have some laid off friends you can tell that to. Although you better not, because that might get you thrown out a window.

With my quote you contradict your argument. The high flying executive now Starbuck's guy even admits this in the article you posted.
You left off the rest of my sentence so I'll finish it and I think most know what I meant. "...it forces you to re-evaluate your life." It does not speak for everybody, you may notice that I put "sometimes."

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.