Too many Radiography schools/programs in your area?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 173)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

47 months ago

Donald_ in Cliffside Park, New Jersey said: "Being laid off is sometimes the best thing that can happen..."

I have some laid off friends you can tell that to. Although you better not, because that might get you thrown out a window.

With my quote you contradict your argument. The high flying executive now Starbuck's guy even admits this in the article you posted.
You left off the rest of my sentence so I'll finish it and I think most know what I meant. "...it forces you to re-evaluate your life." It does not speak for everybody, you may notice that I put "sometimes."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donald_ in Cliffside Park, New Jersey

47 months ago

Most people who get laid off end up making LESS at their new jobs. Once again you continue to peddle nothing but nonsense. I am sure the guy at Starbucks would take back the job he lost if it was offered to him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Donald_ in Cliffside Park, New Jersey

47 months ago

I have decided to learn a trade. Either electric or HVAC. At least you can make money doing side jobs if the job market is weak. Not so with x ray tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

47 months ago

Donald, whatever floats your boat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle2801 in Parkville, Maryland

46 months ago

If you are going to do it...Go into ultra sound. The vascular field is wide open for women. Stay away from Nuclear Medicine, there is a shortage of Medical grade radioactive material....therefore...No work. Cardiac Catheterization is a great field also.

Joe in Brooklyn, New York

46 months ago

New to the forums. Going to be starting in Radiography hospital-based program next week. From reading on the forums, it is the consensus that this field is slowly dying. I tend to not believe it as the mass population is slowly aging and the field eventually need the specialty to accommodate the aging population.

I live in New York City, and there are plenty of hospital with a dense population. I can not believe that there will not be a need for RT as the population is increasing. Can anyone share some thoughts on my thinking?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daryll in Marion, Texas

46 months ago

I’ve talked to several long-term professionals in the administration part of hospitals and they state the following. There will not be reimbursements in the future as the past. Doctors will not be paid for 8 x-rays when one is needed. Medicare is reducing how much will be paid period for diagnostic work. While true 70 million baby boomers are retiring, I just don't think we will still be here to fully take advantage of this fact. We got stuck in a 10 year period where we will be unemployed. And in the future some young, good looking students with 2 "certified" modalities willing to work for 15.00 an hour at a major hospital will get the jobs available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Brooklyn, New York

46 months ago

I certainly hope that is not the case. RT is still a skilled profession that will be needed. Demographically speaking, wouldn't there be more opportunities in a city like New York City than other part of the US?

Daryll

46 months ago

You would think so but big also means hundreds of more students graduating. I am in san antonio, a city of 1.2 million and there are only 5 jobs a month opening here that are full rad jobs not the urgent care limited tech jobs. for those 5 jobs there are an average 100 techs from recent schools applying. an almost one to ten ration. Yes its that bad. choose another field like nursing or repiratory therapy. In New york the numbers would look like this.
Population 7.5 million, 40 jobs open monthly and nearly 700 unemployed techs applying for those jobs. Another job that has a lot of opening recently is Medical lab technician which pays abou tthe same as beginning rad tech about 20/hr. a lot of the community colleges have no waiting list for this program. It might be something to look into. Yes I agree with you that rad is a skilled position but unless the ARRT ever gets that CARE bill passed, the companies don't care about skill they will hire those 4 month trained limited techs for 12/hr. Did you know in Texas the limited tech can xray almost every body part including spine, skull and ab, everything but obliques and and a few other fews. why would an urgent care ever want to hire a full tech. In Az where I came the limteds could only xray chest and lower extremities not even the upper femur or hio area and certainly not ab or spine. Please don't choose rad, choose nursing or radiation therapy if you can get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jraley4 in Adrian, Georgia

46 months ago

Denise, CST,FA said: Hey, come to Greenville, New Bern, Wilmington and Jacksonville, NC. We need Radiology, Respiratory, and Medical Assistants with Phlebotomy certs. also. We have tons of openings here and also many on the Marine Corp Bases with great pay. North Carolina has beautiful uncrowded beaches.

Give me some info...Im registered(R) in GA and cant get anything anywhere ...would move in a heartbeat....Thanks

ACH in Raleigh, North Carolina

46 months ago

Has anyone graduated from a Radiology Tech program in the Raleigh, NC area? I am looking for the most hands-on program and considering Wake Tech and the UNC certificate. I'm also somewhat interested in the sonography tech program at Johnston Community college. Any feedback on the local programs and job market would be greatly appreciated.

zoobie in Goldsboro, North Carolina

46 months ago

I went to an information session at Wake Tech this summer, where we were told up front that most of their graduates aren't getting more than per diem work with bad hours. This economy has just decimated the job market.

Royer5 in Jacksonville, North Carolina

46 months ago

Denise, CST,FA said: Hey, come to Greenville, New Bern, Wilmington and Jacksonville, NC. We need Radiology, Respiratory, and Medical Assistants with Phlebotomy certs. also. We have tons of openings here and also many on the Marine Corp Bases with great pay. North Carolina has beautiful uncrowded beaches.

You have got to be kidding me right? We graduated 8 students from our class in May, and 1 person has a full time job, 2 people have prn. 2 of these people are currently in jeopardy of losing their jobs already due to hospital cuts. I agree there are plenty of openings for resp. therapy and cna, but not for radiography.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tucsonguyt in Tucson, Arizona

44 months ago

I don't usually respond to forums but if I can save one person from working for two years for free ( Xray school) then it is worth it. No jobs for any new graduates here in Arizona or anywhere else in the country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daryll in Marion, Texas

44 months ago

Hi, Tucson guy I agree with you. I wasted 3 years in school and am still in school with a 4.0 ave. That dosent matter Ive sent out over 100 resumes, and they only want 2-5 years experience with multi modalities, nothing else matters. I have moved to Texas from Tucson, and it is the same here, only worse because this is a military town; they said military people get first preference. What a shame huh? Who are you, are you a recent student, maybe I know you?

Daryll

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Calder Young, Little Rock, AR in Conway, Arkansas

43 months ago

Wow this forum scares the living crap out of me. I have finally just finished all of my prereqs. and I apply to a few hospitals for the RT program. Only about 20% get accepted, at first i was just worried about getting into the program. but now i am more concerned if this is the right career choice for me. I was also lead to believe that the field was not too saturated and that there would be a increase in job demand for RT within the next few years. What i really whanted to do was to get a masters and become a Rad Assistant. Am i wasting my time here people? I was also looking into Resp. Therapy. i don't want to get into this program and have it do nothign for me. does anyone have advice for what i should do? I am already so far into this program already, if i changed majors now i wouldn't get a bachelors of anything for a nother year or two. I feel hopeless, stress, anxiety, and above all I feel like i am getting screwed over.

-Calder, aspiring x-ray tech

Tom in Tucson, Arizona

43 months ago

I know it seems like a great opportunity , especially when you have to wait to even get in the school. I graduated in 2005 and was out of work in 2009. None of the dozens of rad tech graduates are getting jobs here in Tucson. I feel really sorry for them, they worked two years hard for free while in school. It isn't considered a profession and probably never will be. Low wages, bad environments, repetitive tasks.

Calder Young in Conway, Arkansas

43 months ago

So what am i supposed to do, give up on being Rad. Tech. and start doing all different prereq's? It would be another 5 years before i could even get a bachelors non the less a good job. This system is ridiculous. What is my best option here? i seriously don't think changing majors now is a good idea... Forums like this are not helping my opinion. Basically every single healthcare field is flooded not just RT. Yes it will be hard to get a job, but is it worth wasting 3 years on busting my as.s.?

-sincerely thank you
-calder

Daryll

43 months ago

Sorry Calder, I wasted 3 yrs too. I graduated, then I am 2 yrs into a bachelors in this same field still with no job. I enjoy school. Calder the occupancy rate in our field is now 1.4% the lowest in twenty years. If you have a chance to go into something else, try Medical laboratory or respiratory therapy. If your x-ray program has already started, of course don't drop out. Calder you could be a practical nurse in 8 months at a trade school. I know you are a guy and may not want to be a nurse but you will have a job. In San Antonio LVN’s as practical nurses are called get paid 19-23 an hr. I know it may not have sunken in to you yet but this field is dead for new grads. My wife’s three sisters here make 19, 21, and 24.00/hr as LVN’s. My wife makes 44.00/hr as a ten-year nurse. I make zero as an unemployed one-year graduate, who has a 4.0 average towards his bachelor’s degree. There are only 7.25 jobs working at Walmart. I spent almost 40,000 on my education and gave my clinical locations 2000 hrs of help while I was training. I appreciate that training though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daryll

43 months ago

Tom in Tucson, Arizona said: I know it seems like a great opportunity , especially when you have to wait to even get in the school. I graduated in 2005 and was out of work in 2009. None of the dozens of rad tech graduates are getting jobs here in Tucson. I feel really sorry for them, they worked two years hard for free while in school. It isn't considered a profession and probably never will be. Low wages, bad environments, repetitive tasks.

Tom did you go to PMI or PCC? I had a friend, Ben Wells who also graduated in 2005 from PCC. He had two jobs. I wonder if he is still at the same hospital he was at? I graduated from PCC in 2009. I had a mobile job, which was fun, but then moved to texas with my nurse wife for advancement and gave my job to a classmate, who is now working full-time at that mobile company. I am unemployed one year now in Texas and in school halftime for bachelors.

Tom in Tucson, Arizona

43 months ago

Don't worry, you are young and I bet the classes you took will apply to many majors. Just be glad you didn't work 2000 hours for free. Tom

Daryll

43 months ago

Calder Young in Conway, Arkansas said: So what am i supposed to do, give up on being Rad. Tech. and start doing all different prereq's? It would be another 5 years before i could even get a bachelors non the less a good job. This system is ridiculous. What is my best option here? i seriously don't think changing majors now is a good idea... Forums like this are not helping my opinion. Basically every single healthcare field is flooded not just RT. Yes it will be hard to get a job, but is it worth wasting 3 years on busting my as.s.?

-sincerely thank you
-calder

Calder you could get into that medical laboratory tech program, probably with those same pre reqs with probably the addition of chemistry and the good part, ill bet a lot of schools have no or little waiting list for that program. And there are jobs in that field as I see them everyday on indeed.com. The pay is about the same as x-ray tech in a small clinic about 18.00 an hr. I know x-ray in hospitals pay about 24.00, but the problem is now they want you to have at least 3 years experience with 2 modalities and they really want you to have c-arm, surgery experience. They want the best bang for their dwindling salary buck.

Tom in Tucson, Arizona

43 months ago

I went to PCC, I graduated in 2005. Let's communicate by email if you wish. I was the only male in my class, Tom thomw@hotmail.com

43 months ago

Daryll,
Where are you getting this information from? and i am not even sure if my area has medical laboratory tech programs. But i have to start somewhere, in some field. I know that all areas of the workforce are hurting right now, but the health care system is tanked. I should have thought about the economy before picking this job preference. Nursing is tanked though also daryll so i don't know why you suggested that. Everything is down, so should i waste the time taking(more prereqs) organic 1&2, biochem, etc, for two more years? That will mean i have spent almost 5 years just trying to get my Bach. FML

43 months ago

Oh, and why is the Bureau of Labor Statistics lying to us if that is true?

Daryll in Marion, Texas

43 months ago

I suggested that about nursing because it is true. I have three sisters who got a job on the first day. Two of them did not like the nursing home they were working at and got new jobs the next day (twice), and they are only out of LPN school one year. The nursing jobs are there..... You may need to move to a larger area. I have experience with Phoenix, Tucson, San Antonio, and Austin Texas and nursing is booming. As far as x-ray, if you want to know where I got those percentages when as you said the labor dept says our field will be the hottest in 50 years, don't believe the labor dept. They have been saying this for 10 years about the boomers retiring and the need for healthcare will be in demand. This is true but not for us. For those x-ray %'s go to ASRT.com or auntminne.com and look up rad tech occupancy rate, and they do a chart which shows our field went from 10% occupancy to 7.5, then 5, then 3.5 in 2007, and 1.5% now. Yeah, in 10 years, the demand may be 5%, but what are you going to do for 10 years?

43 months ago

Well i am not going to even consider nursing.. Med Lab Tech would take me an extra 2 years doing the prereqs like every other major. The only thing relatively close is respiratory therapy which i was considering but you can only work in a hospital and i don't want to have snot covering me for the rest of my life. The only thing that i can do for now is finish out for Rad Tech. Everything else would take too long to be able to able for a program. All of these jobs are saturated. It seems i will just have to distinguish myself from the others and cross my fingers for a few years. Maybe i won't get a job immediately but at least i will have a degree. Nothing much else i can do. FML

Tucsonguyt in Tucson, Arizona

43 months ago

I think it would be time very well spent to do some serious shadowing of a nurse, RT or a hospital based RT. If you see the job done and the environment, for a full day at least, you may avoid the double edged sword of no jobs/working in the wrong field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tucsonguyy in Tucson, Arizona

43 months ago

Maybe the hospitals don't have enough free labor, shooting free xray after xray, on and on in the name of education lol .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dubsy Max in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Tucsonguyy in Tucson, Arizona said: Maybe the hospitals don't have enough free labor, shooting free xray after xray, on and on in the name of education lol .

I've looked into "shadow" or volunteer work, hospitals frown apon it unless you wanna be a janitor. It doesn't help you get a job. I'm currently looking for transport/orderly work to get by.... no luck atm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

christy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

I just went to the open house for BS is Rad sciences at jefferson in philly. Of couse jobs are hard to find and layoffs are everywhere. its the market itself not the actual job. This site sounds like a bunch of disgruntled employees who aren't the best at what they do. Stop putting the rest of us down because you cant make it. good luck to you all!! go for it. if they dont want to work and are unhappy, then they need to quit. Il take your job, where do you work???????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Daryll in Marion, Texas

43 months ago

Good bye Cristy,

Make sure you smile a lot and giggle at your clinical instructor's jokes at your clinical site. You'll be all right and will get a job. Are you under 25? 19-21 would be better for the above criteria.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dubsy Max in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

christy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I just went to the open house for BS is Rad sciences at jefferson in philly. Of couse jobs are hard to find and layoffs are everywhere. its the market itself not the actual job. This site sounds like a bunch of disgruntled employees who aren't the best at what they do. Stop putting the rest of us down because you cant make it. good luck to you all!! go for it. if they dont want to work and are unhappy, then they need to quit. Il take your job, where do you work???????

Jeff is WAY over priced,BS in rad is bs, more bang for your $ is CCP. You may not get a degree from a "university" but you will get a superior education. I graduated in '05 and can tell you Ms. Rench runs a great ship, real shame Ms. Wesolowski retired. We have Jeff students at Methodist, they are very under-qualified in both modalities they study. Also, you have the wrong idea, a lot on this forum are disgruntled, but its not just the market it is the job. And since you just attended the open house you really aren't "us" yet, get your scrubs soaked in blood or puked on then see the film and notice the line still isn't in place before you pass judgement. Also since your from Philly, as am I, Jersey and the burbs compete for our jobs, we don't have to pay the same fee in PA they do. E-A-G-L-E-S, GO BIRDS!!!

anna in Portland, Oregon

41 months ago

christy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I just went to the open house for BS is Rad sciences at jefferson in philly. Of couse jobs are hard to find and layoffs are everywhere. its the market itself not the actual job. This site sounds like a bunch of disgruntled employees who aren't the best at what they do. Stop putting the rest of us down because you cant make it. good luck to you all!! go for it. if they dont want to work and are unhappy, then they need to quit. Il take your job, where do you work???????

s
I know this posted a while ago but usally rad techs who specailize in MRI or CT get get noticed. I actually looked at BLS.com and they said rad tech should have alot of openings there is even a shortage!! I toatally agree with you!! People should stop complaning SMH. IF you complain things get worse.

Frank in Livingston, New Jersey

40 months ago

Not the time to go into radiography!
I totally agree with the statements that there are no jobs for new grads in the x-ray field now and into the future. To tell people this is a field to enter is unethical! I graduated in '97 and am a radiographer who worked with students until the job crash, now the recent (last 2 years) grads are LUCKY if they can get a casual position. Don't mislead people for your own gain (greed), it is just cruel. There are still too many unaccredited and unethical schools telling people there are 100% placements from their school and giving people false hope while taking them into debt for up to $25,000+. Shame on those of you doing this, how can you sleep at night? I love my profession but the job squeeze with budgeting is only going to worsen in the near future as hospital/clinics try to run like factories treating patients like widgets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

reformist in Hackensack, New Jersey

40 months ago

Although there may be some success stories about new grads getting jobs, this is certainly not the norm. Unemployment among Radiography Technologists is at thier highest in history. And, it will remain like this for the foreseeable future. Most of the negative comments made on this blog are true. There are just too many schools graduating new techs, and way to few jobs opportunities. Anyone who says different, is either lucky to have a job, or is a liar. There are definitely a lot of false advertisement from schools that are trying to increase enrollment. The vast amount of technologists in the field, along with a terrible recession, has had a negative impact on employment opportunities for the medical imaging profession for years to come.

Daryll in Tucson, Arizona

40 months ago

I agree with Frank and Reformist. I also want to add that I believe it is disgraceful for any instructor to continue to teach in a program where only about 30 percent of your class MAY be hired after graduation. For you to continue to teach with a clear conscience is abhorrent. You should request to teach other courses at the university or community college in which you are employed, and advise or suggest to the regents to shut down the program for a few years. To do otherwise is disgraceful. Finally, even the ASRT in their latest salary and turnover survey has stated that the turnover rate for RTs is about 1. something percent. When will you shut down the community college programs that are no longer needed? Answer that with a clear conscience...

laloeldoc in Brooklyn, New York

40 months ago

For the people how have experience in NY, I would like if anyone can really recommend a Radiology Technician school in NY and has more extensive programs. For a this time I have some school info’s but not sure with one is one to select. Anybody know if Bellueve College is just for MD degree?
thank you

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

39 months ago

Brian in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am going to School for X-Ray Technician here in Cleveland OHIO where the Cleveland Clinic is located and where University Hospitals connected to Case Western Reserve is. My ambition is too work as a X-Ray Technician and learn the MRI Machine where the sky is the limit. The salary to start here is 50K+. Nurses make the same starting. I did the research and the field is growing here and needs alot of X-ray techs until 2019 where it may level off. Ohio needs X-ray Techs and Nurses to endure the Baby Boomers that are reaching an older age and need more healthcare. Ohio and Florida are 2 states where healthcare is booming and the salarys I feel are going to go up with the demand of healthcare professionals. I did meet Healthcare Professionals in X-Ray Techs and they all were there for several years. So i do think it depends on where you live.

Where did you get your research information from? I believe you have some dubious information.

Daryll in Marion, Texas

39 months ago

Absolutely amazing this still goes on. The cycle will never end as long as this mentality remains.

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

39 months ago

christy go for it! Get into radiology. Sometimes the best lessons are life lessons. You will learn one from this experience.

x rah in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

Joe in Brooklyn, New York said: New to the forums. Going to be starting in Radiography hospital-based program next week. From reading on the forums, it is the consensus that this field is slowly dying. I tend to not believe it as the mass population is slowly aging and the field eventually need the specialty to accommodate the aging population.

I live in New York City, and there are plenty of hospital with a dense population. I can not believe that there will not be a need for RT as the population is increasing. Can anyone share some thoughts on my thinking?

Easy, more work on one tech as population increase, and NOT more tech being hired...they wanted to save $ by pushing one tech to the limit lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

x rah in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

laloeldoc in Brooklyn, New York said: For the people how have experience in NY, I would like if anyone can really recommend a Radiology Technician school in NY and has more extensive programs. For a this time I have some school info’s but not sure with one is one to select. Anybody know if Bellueve College is just for MD degree?
thank you

Apply to NYU,Columbia,Stony brook for MD (medical doctor) degree

jcalltheway in Alexandria, Virginia

36 months ago

Hoover in Dothan, Alabama said: I'm sorry, but I just don't believe this at all. This is the most over-saturated the market has ever been. I can't imagine anyone paying that to a new hire, let alone someone with less than 5 years of experience. Granted I live in one of the lowest paying areas in the nation...

That's what we are able to make over here in DC. Alabama is just a broke ass state!

tucsonguyt in Tucson, Arizona

36 months ago

Don't forget all the free labor they get from the poor , unsuspecting students. It's as if they have made a deal with the devil.

Lisa in Akron, Ohio

35 months ago

Calder Young, Little Rock, AR in Conway, Arkansas said: Wow this forum scares the living crap out of me. I have finally just finished all of my prereqs. and I apply to a few hospitals for the RT program. Only about 20% get accepted, at first i was just worried about getting into the program. but now i am more concerned if this is the right career choice for me. I was also lead to believe that the field was not too saturated and that there would be a increase in job demand for RT within the next few years. What i really whanted to do was to get a masters and become a Rad Assistant. Am i wasting my time here people? I was also looking into Resp. Therapy. i don't want to get into this program and have it do nothign for me. does anyone have advice for what i should do? I am already so far into this program already, if i changed majors now i wouldn't get a bachelors of anything for a nother year or two. I feel hopeless, stress, anxiety, and above all I feel like i am getting screwed over.

-Calder, aspiring x-ray tech

Calder, I think that the RAD Assitants will be the furture. Just like PA's. So keep going. You could train in MRI/US seems more jobs are out there. While you go for RA. Good Luck

35 months ago

Why not an RN? I am involved in the hospital based program here and believe me, they could use some good candidates. RT continues to be saturated.

35 months ago

Why not an RN? I am involved in the hospital based program here and believe me, they could use some good candidates. RT continues to be saturated.

mattiemjk in Yorkville, Illinois

35 months ago

I wanted to check out this forum to see what you all had to say about RT/X Ray careers jobs, etc. I've been in Nuclear Medicine/Radiology for about 10 yrs. Just like Nuc Med I see RT has become oversaturated by the schools. There are just way too many training programs churning out graduates in a repressed job market. I don't see any of these schools slowing down in the near future, many programs are still on 2 yr waiting lists. Prospective students be wise in your decisions. Radiology is NOT the career to go into (right now). These A.A.S. and B.S. programs are a lot of hard work, time, and money with little or no return on your investment. Sad to see RT/X Ray has suffered the same fate as Nuclear Medicine. The economy needs to recover and the schools will have to trim down class sizes for this cycle of "recession" in Diagnostic Imaging to end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daryll in Marion, Texas

35 months ago

Thanks Mattie, Where were you in 2005, when I needed you? I've wasted 5 years and 40,000 getting a degree that has yielded zero job opportunities. Before the recession in 2007-11, I hadn't missed a day of work since 1975, and now I've been unemployed 5 years. Although most jobs didn't require a degree, like I was a casino dealer for 9 years, I thought my degree in rad tech would secure my future in a credible field. I was surely mistaken.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.