Too many Radiography schools/programs in your area?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 172 of 172)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

Daryll in Tucson, Arizona

40 months ago

I'm going to advise you exactly what to do. DO NOT TAKE RAD TECH. although, it will help that you are military, especially in military towns, but you won't be hired at a hospital without 5 yrs experience, unless you are one of the students that they keep on after school, which is becoming less likely lately. This is where you will work realistically. You will be working at an urgent care clinic as a part time tech, while drawing blood and medical assisting. This is the big thing now in imaging clinics. Your pay about $14.00/hr In Texas where I am limited techs can image all parts of the body except tangential skulls and a few specialized angles. Some states still don't require a license at all, while others like Arizona allow the limited tech to only image the extremities and chest. The hire rate/ turnover rate for new jobs in x-ray is only 1.4% right now from a high of 10% a decade ago. A better two-year field for you to be in is medical laboratory technology. Its not sexy, but you start about 19.00 an hour upon graduation and there are jobs available. You could consider nursing, where you will make that 24.00 an hour you are looking for. There are always jobs. One of my sisters quits a nursing home every 2 months and never has a problem being rehired the next day. Lpns after one-year school make 20.00 an hour here in Texas. Rn's with 5 years experience make 35.00. If you aren't cut out for nursing, you may want to consider another field than medical. With the new rules governing Medicare, the next 5 years is not a good time to be in healthcare. I suggest you change your prereqs immediately to pursue medical laboratory technology, nursing, or IT (computers specializing in Cisco or Microsoft networking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Pompano Beach, Florida

40 months ago

There are way too many schools for rad techs and not enough jobs in almost every state. Don't waste your time going to one of the MANY schools out there offering you a degree as a rad tech. You'll never get a job without experience when you're up against thousands of applicants who are more qualified than you. There are plenty of other careers in the medical field that you'll actually be able to find work in after you graduate. The only thing you'll gain from earning a degree as a rad tech is a student loan payment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

csixray in Roseville, Michigan

37 months ago

Anyone interested in Forensics? Please go to Radforensics.com explains everything and this includes CT, MRI, Sonography, and PET Scans.....let's make a change!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

soccerbug7 in Oakland, California

37 months ago

Daryll in Tucson, Arizona said: I'm going to advise you exactly what to do. DO NOT TAKE RAD TECH. although, it will help that you are military, especially in military towns, but you won't be hired at a hospital without 5 yrs experience, unless you are one of the students that they keep on after school, which is becoming less likely lately. This is where you will work realistically. You will be working at an urgent care clinic as a part time tech, while drawing blood and medical assisting. This is the big thing now in imaging clinics. Your pay about $14.00/hr In Texas where I am limited techs can image all parts of the body except tangential skulls and a few specialized angles. Some states still don't require a license at all, while others like Arizona allow the limited tech to only image the extremities and chest. The hire rate/ turnover rate for new jobs in x-ray is only 1.4% right now from a high of 10% a decade ago. A better two-year field for you to be in is medical laboratory technology. Its not sexy, but you start about 19.00 an hour upon graduation and there are jobs available. You could consider nursing, where you will make that 24.00 an hour you are looking for. There are always jobs. One of my sisters quits a nursing home every 2 months and never has a problem being rehired the next day. Lpns after one-year school make 20.00 an hour here in Texas. Rn's with 5 years experience make 35.00. If you aren't cut out for nursing, you may want to consider another field than medical. With the new rules governing Medicare, the next 5 years is not a good time to be in healthcare. I suggest you change your prereqs immediately to pursue medical laboratory technology, nursing, or IT (computers specializing in Cisco or Microsoft networking.

Don't go into nursing, this is sooo over saturated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Davenport, Iowa

36 months ago

Hey- Im a recent graduate from july and i have filled out 100 applications and i still read that there is xray tech shortage....WHERE? I have only had one interview also. I also almost have my BA...I only need one more year to get it but i need a job to pay to go back to school....ive gone to college for 6 years and dont wanna go back but i do feel like ultrasound is the only answer...am i right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

36 months ago

Nicole, unfortunately things aren't any better in ultrasound. Seems like I've given this advice a thousand times over the last 3-5yrs, but you need to cut your loses and look for another field to get into. Looking into Nursing, Occupational Therapy, PT, Respritory Therapy or get out of medicine all together, which is what I ended up doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

csixray in Canton, Ohio

36 months ago

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska said: Nicole, unfortunately things aren't any better in ultrasound. Seems like I've given this advice a thousand times over the last 3-5yrs, but you need to cut your loses and look for another field to get into. Looking into Nursing, Occupational Therapy, PT, Respritory Therapy or get out of medicine all together, which is what I ended up doing.

I also did the same thing, went back to school for a new career that I know will never have enough personnel; Criminal Justice! Graduated with my Associates. Now I'm starting an online university in January for the BS in CJ, minoring in Forensic Sciences. I'm getting ready for the new modality in Radiography; Forensic Radiography! If this sounds interesting to anyone, go visit radforensics.com.

36 months ago

csixray in Canton, Ohio said: I also did the same thing, went back to school for a new career that I know will never have enough personnel; Criminal Justice! Graduated with my Associates. Now I'm starting an online university in January for the BS in CJ, minoring in Forensic Sciences. I'm getting ready for the new modality in Radiography; Forensic Radiography! If this sounds interesting to anyone, go visit radforensics.com.

I went to that website and it didn't say anything about how to become a Forensic Radiographer.

However, it does sound pretty cool. I'm glad you were able to find your way to a new and exciting career.

csixray in Canton, Ohio

36 months ago

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska said: I went to that website and it didn't say anything about how to become a Forensic Radiographer. I'm from Cleveland btw, not Canton....

However, it does sound pretty cool. I'm glad you were able to find your way to a new and exciting career.

The person who created that page is going for PhD and almost done. She is trying to get this interesting modality here in the States. Mark Viner founded Forensic Radiography in 2001 in the UK and is working with her so that classes/courses may start here. May 2012 just might be the fundamental time for this happen.

36 months ago

csixray in Canton, Ohio said: The person who created that page is going for PhD and almost done. She is trying to get this interesting modality here in the States. Mark Viner founded Forensic Radiography in 2001 in the UK and is working with her so that classes/courses may start here. May 2012 just might be the fundamental time for this happen.

Thanks for the info, how it didn't really answer my question.
What types of classes or degree should someone take in order to get into this exciting and new career field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JimBob in Lawrenceville, Georgia

36 months ago

This forum has gotten way off topic by someone trying to promote their BS.
The fact is, Xray school is a "members only" field. Firstly, They practice the worst kind of discrimination available to them that is legally compliant. The background check and interview is a good indication. Secondly, the hospitals have the schools in their back pocket. They're the ones that actually run the schools and hand pick the "privledged" few that get accepted. They're looking for people that are willing to get through the program(Pay for it) and put up with their unlawful hazing practices which they start employing after you've invested time and money. They figure, if your stupid enough to stay in an put up with all this adversity then they have narrowed the field to "potential" employees. If you don't get a job upon graduation, then chances are you did, said or behaved in a way that you've been blacklisted. Do you really want to pay thousands of dollars to be blacklisted? This field is so corrupt that it's sickening. It abuses the inherent trust and goodwill in people looking to have a fulfilling career and reduces it to a money making scheme for the schools, hospitals and publishers of the "chosen" people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

csixray in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska said: Thanks for the info, how it didn't really answer my question.
What types of classes or degree should someone take in order to get into this exciting and new career field?

You don't need any certificates or degrees for this new modality, as long as you are a registered Technologist you can join the IAFR in the UK or the association here in the States; click on the American flag on IAFR's site. There is going to be courses in Baltimore, Maryland, on May 9th-11th at the first dedicated institution pertaining to Forensic Radiography/Sciences.

36 months ago

csixray in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: You don't need any certificates or degrees for this new modality, as long as you are a registered Technologist you can join the IAFR in the UK or the association here in the States; click on the American flag on IAFR's site. There is going to be courses in Baltimore, Maryland, on May 9th-11th at the first dedicated institution pertaining to Forensic Radiography/Sciences.

You still have not answered my question about how a person goes about getting into this field. Let me ask the question another way. How did you get your job as a Forensic Radiographer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

csixray in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

Noone in the US is a Forensic Radiographer, yet. We had a petition for the ASRT to add this new modality as a new chapter, so that we can start classes, courses, and hands-on training. I'm not a Forensic Radiographer, just a Registered Tech., waiting for May to arrive so I can go to Baltimore and participate in the first American, Forensic institution courses. All you need to have is your ARRT card

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

36 months ago

csixray in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Noone in the US is a Forensic Radiographer, yet. We had a petition for the ASRT to add this new modality as a new chapter, so that we can start classes, courses, and hands-on training. I'm not a Forensic Radiographer, just a Registered Tech., waiting for May to arrive so I can go to Baltimore and participate in the first American, Forensic institution courses. All you need to have is your ARRT card

Doesn't sound like a good career to get in if the career field doesn't exist and there aren't any jobs out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

B-Rad in Raleigh, North Carolina

32 months ago

JimBob in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: This forum has gotten way off topic by someone trying to promote their BS.
The fact is, Xray school is a "members only" field. Firstly, They practice the worst kind of discrimination available to them that is legally compliant. The background check and interview is a good indication. Secondly, the hospitals have the schools in their back pocket. They're the ones that actually run the schools and hand pick the "privledged" few that get accepted. They're looking for people that are willing to get through the program(Pay for it) and put up with their unlawful hazing practices which they start employing after you've invested time and money. They figure, if your stupid enough to stay in an put up with all this adversity then they have narrowed the field to "potential" employees. If you don't get a job upon graduation, then chances are you did, said or behaved in a way that you've been blacklisted. Do you really want to pay thousands of dollars to be blacklisted? This field is so corrupt that it's sickening. It abuses the inherent trust and goodwill in people looking to have a fulfilling career and reduces it to a money making scheme for the schools, hospitals and publishers of the "chosen" people.

JimBob,
I read your post and realized I am experiencing what you are talking about at this very moment. Just completed 1rst semester of RAD program and due to problems with CI in first half of clinical semester driving my points scoring way down, (doing well in all other areas) they are trying to exit me out of the program. Is there any way we can communicate? I am interested in hearing about your story as well.

Just Accepted to RT School in Chandler, Arizona

29 months ago

I was just accepted to school after 3 years of prerequisites and working so hard to get into a program locally. The community college offering school has a great reputation, but the private (high dollar) schools are turning out over 100 graduates in radiography per year in my area; this on top of the public/community college schools. At this point, I may decline the program offer although I still have a belief that I could get a job (valid belief or not) when I finish, as I had hoped to do a parallel CT (with the cooperation of some clinical site, a risky assumption). Bureau of Labor statistics quotes about a 28% job growth in RT, however, they do not take into account the graduate output each year. I am so discouraged and nothing on these posts is really new. From actual data, I gather that these situations will not change for 36+ months; until, as someone mentioned, older RTs have a chance to rebuild their 401K in order to survive their retirement. My brother has been a RT/CT traveler for over 4 years just to support his family. He seldom gets home--not a good life to live.

Shaking my head in Albuquerque, New Mexico

29 months ago

I

Shaking my head in Albuquerque, New Mexico

29 months ago

Just Accepted to RT School in Chandler, Arizona said: I was just accepted to school after 3 years of prerequisites and working so hard to get into a program locally. The community college offering school has a great reputation, but the private (high dollar) schools are turning out over 100 graduates in radiography per year in my area; this on top of the public/community college schools. At this point, I may decline the program offer although I still have a belief that I could get a job (valid belief or not) when I finish, as I had hoped to do a parallel CT (with the cooperation of some clinical site, a risky assumption). Bureau of Labor statistics quotes about a 28% job growth in RT, however, they do not take into account the graduate output each year. I am so discouraged and nothing on these posts is really new. From actual data, I gather that these situations will not change for 36+ months; until, as someone mentioned, older RTs have a chance to rebuild their 401K in order to survive their retirement. My brother has been a RT/CT traveler for over 4 years just to support his family. He seldom gets home--not a good life to live.

What school?

Go Getter in Beardstown, Illinois

29 months ago

Check out EEG technology especially Intra-operative monitoring. This is a field with a legitimate shortage and CNIMs with experience can make good money. Problem is you have to wade though course after course of Neuro anatomy, a subject that goes over the heads of many MDs. Way more involved and specialized than many other health professions out there. And there's not an over saturation of schools offering EEG.

www.caahep.org/Content.aspx?ID=38

roentgeneyes in Glens Falls, New York

28 months ago

Jim Bob and others,
As a Director of a program that is hospital based, it is hard to read comments that generalize the profession unjustly when there are many that uphold ethical judgement. My program once enrolled 12 students four years ago and we now enroll 8 in order to help ensure employment viability. This is a flexibility offered by hospital based programs whose administrators allow freedom of their choosen professionals. Colleges are businesses. They make their money via credit hours, lab fees etc. Hospital programs often are floated along since tuition rarely offsets the cost of payroll alone. However, the job market is what it is and people who are looking into the profession need to research the choices available to them. If one is unable to relocate then options become slim. As a Director, I tend look beyond my community so that the graduates can take their education with them vs. saturate the local market. Also, if the program is good at what it does, many times jobs are not posted and employers phone faculty to ask who may be available in the coming graduation. Upstate New York (my location)has limited work available for RT(R)s' and this has been a trend since 2008; yet, all students (averaging 7 a year) find work, much of it full-time. This happens despite community colleges nearby. The reputation allows for doors to open. The previous graduates make it possible with excellent employment history for employers to go back to the programs for more when needed. Jim Bob, the priviledge few does not exist, and I encourage all to look at themselves and how you portray yourself to the public both physically and on paper (resume) This is what gets you in the door and a well earned paycheck.

Sriggan in Raleigh, North Carolina

21 months ago

Has anyone attended the UNC certificate program in Radiography? Just wanting to get some insight into the progam and any job information after graduating from the program.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.