WHY ARE THERE SO MANY STUDENTS ENTERING RT SCHOOL IF FIELD IS SO SATURATED???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

heather in Toledo, Ohio

34 months ago

a lot of people are saying there are no jobs in radiology technology right now, however at my local community college there is a THREE YEAR waiting list to get into this program. the waiiting list is even longer than the nursing program. why are so many people pursuing this field if its so saturated? this many people have not discovered how saturated the field is or are they being told by other former rad tech students that the employment rate is good?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dubsy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

Heather, most of those "waiting lists" do not exist. Some schools do have them but they are mostly the result of rumors. The field has been beaten to death for several years, the simple fact is that the ARRT and the ASRT are front companies for each other. They pass many ridiculous rules that only benefit the other's bottom line. Nothing can change until a new organization is formed, unfortunately this would require all members of the field to actually unite.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

heather in Toledo, Ohio

34 months ago

I called around to a few community colleges and each of them told me that their Rad Tech Program has a three year waiting list. I was actually shocked that they have that many students waiting to get in considering how saturated the field is; or many the waiting lists exist because the field is TOO saturated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

mattiemjk in Florida

33 months ago

heather in Toledo, Ohio said: I called around to a few community colleges and each of them told me that their Rad Tech Program has a three year waiting list. I was actually shocked that they have that many students waiting to get in considering how saturated the field is; or many the waiting lists exist because the field is TOO saturated.

Heather, correct. Many of the academic intstitutions offering programs in Radiology Technology are at full capacity and on wait lists 1-3yrs out. Nuclear Medicine, Ultrasound, and Radiation Therapy schools remain filled also.

The majority of the statistics for Rad Techs/Diagnostic Imaging employment outlooks, salary, and career growth are 7-10 yrs old which is obsolete and bunk for todays market. Naive students continue to stream into programs unaware of true conditions waking-up to a harsh reality upon graduation - unemployment and debt. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

33 months ago

mattiemjk in Florida said: Heather, correct. Many of the academic intstitutions offering programs in Radiology Technology are at full capacity and on wait lists 1-3yrs out. Nuclear Medicine, Ultrasound, and Radiation Therapy schools remain filled also.

The majority of the statistics for Rad Techs/Diagnostic Imaging employment outlooks, salary, and career growth are 7-10 yrs old which is obsolete and bunk for todays market. Naive students continue to stream into programs unaware of true conditions waking-up to a harsh reality upon graduation - unemployment and debt. :(

Same with Information Technology. Far too many applicants for too few openings. Stay away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.