X-Ray / Radiology / Medical Certificates

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Dr. Williams in Hilliard, Ohio

36 months ago

Hospitals, Doctor's offices, out patient facilities all employ X-Ray Techs, right(?)... WRONG.

They usually employ people who are certified as X-Ray Techs. However, x-rays are just one of their job duties. Usually successful "X-Ray Techs" fill several jobs within the medical community. An X-Ray Tech may actually be a Medical Assistant who holds certification as an X-Ray Tech. Many Doctors today do not even employ X-Ray Techs due to the cost involved. They instead send patients to local hospitals and out patient facilities to get an x-ray taken.

I was approached this morning by a young lady who requested my opinion on her thoughts to attend a local school to earn a certificate as a "Limited Radiology Technician." The school is a state community college in this area. As far as schools go I believe they do a good job making affordable education available to the community.

The problem is that my experience has shown me that while the graduates of "Certificate" only programs may receive training and a good base knowledge in a field they do not have a fair chance to be competitive in an over populated field. Organizations hire those with the most education first and a person with a certificate only does not even clear the first round cut; No job.

It is difficult enough for a person with only an Associates degree and certifications to get a job in this field so why an individual thinks they can bypass the full education process and still be employable is beyond me. Would you want a brain surgeon to operate on you if they ONLY studied the brain and not the rest of the body? I think not.

In this job market less than half those that graduate with an Associates degree will even find a job in their chosen field. This is not 1995 anymore and those "Certificate programs" that worked well then do not get you a job today.

Get an education before you get the job specific training unless you like wasting your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.