feel robbed of $30,000.00 R.T. school..

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Melkins in Dayton, Ohio

71 months ago

I feel like I was robbed of 30,000 dollars in school fees. In my class alone there were over 30 of us and there are 3 other schools within 20 miles that carry the same student load. We were told the jobs were plentiful and the pay was in the mid 40's. We were lied to and I know for a fact it is a waste of money. My last interview a week ago had 60 applicants for 1 position and 20 of us got interviews. I mean how do you complete in the market when we were not aloud to be student workers in the state of Ohio. No experience, no job, no money to pay back student loans, robbed of 30,000 dollars! Today I am looking for a food service position just to make ends meet, I have an associate degree that I can basically wipe my you know what with. Thanks university colleges for robbing me blind!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

71 months ago

Everyone know schools are in the business to make money. As the saying goes, suckers and their money are soon parted. It's so easy to get the money for student loans.

You are also responsible. Not too many people are going to borrow $30,000 for a two year degree. I haven't spent near $20,000 for my court reporting degree, my four year Bachelor's Degree, my paralegal degree, and my teaching certification course - all combined. And yes, I am unemployed.

I think student loans should be regulated, just like mortgages. If they were, then those schools wouldn't be getting everyone in the door, for worthless degrees.

Such as, fashion merchandising, nail technicial, sonograms, paralegal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melkins in Dayton, Ohio

71 months ago

I know it was my own stupid belief in the school system that got me in so much debt. I went for 4 years for my 2 year degree due to prereq's. I have never met anyone who has a legit 2 yr degree that hasn't spent longer than that to get it. The schools need to be watched carefully because they are robbing us. They are not being honest and they are taking young adults dreams and making them nightmares!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

funluvnbrenda in Augusta, Georgia

71 months ago

I'm an RT(R) from Augusta, Georgia. We have 4 schools in our area as well. I've been saying now for the past 5 years that they are putting out way to many students. You are right the schools are lying about the job prospects.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Deland, Florida

64 months ago

Many private schools are robbing students and all tax payers, it should be regulated. They charge 10 20 thousand for medical assistant, coding and billing, phlebotomy classes....lol... those jobs pay l0.00 or less per hr, if you can find one, phlebotomy classes are taught in hospitals as on the job training for free, they are given student loans for these classes, backed by the governement, so when they cant pay, the governement picks up the tab and it is passed on to taxpayers. The student is frustrated and still cant find work, before any loans can be signed students should be counseled by an independent professional about their options. These schools prey on uneducated, lower economic, shy or mentally challenged groups. They dont realize they can go to community college for a fraction of the cost, and are intimidated by the college atmosphere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lookingforwork in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Everyone know schools are in the business to make money. As the saying goes, suckers and their money are soon parted. It's so easy to get the money for student loans.

You are also responsible. Not too many people are going to borrow $30,000 for a two year degree. I haven't spent near $20,000 for my court reporting degree, my four year Bachelor's Degree, my paralegal degree, and my teaching certification course - all combined. And yes, I am unemployed.

I think student loans should be regulated, just like mortgages. If they were, then those schools wouldn't be getting everyone in the door, for worthless degrees.

Such as, fashion merchandising, nail technicial, sonograms, paralegal.

Sonogram degree is not worthless. There are many jobs for sonographers and they make at least $30 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Ballwin, Missouri

43 months ago

I feel the same way but mine was unfortunately for 2 degrees 1 in cosmetology & 1 in esthetics (skin care/make-up) I paid for training that i only received half ass because i do booze it up as my younger teachers did! I basicly got an extremely expensive nail tech license, & i have tried working in a couple salons but they are extremely unstable & there fore i am no longer there. I cant find work do to lack of experience :-( i feel robbed & humiliated that i now owe 30,000 dollars for a cosmetology license

Melkins in Dayton, Ohio said: I feel like I was robbed of 30,000 dollars in school fees. In my class alone there were over 30 of us and there are 3 other schools within 20 miles that carry the same student load. We were told the jobs were plentiful and the pay was in the mid 40's. We were lied to and I know for a fact it is a waste of money. My last interview a week ago had 60 applicants for 1 position and 20 of us got interviews. I mean how do you complete in the market when we were not aloud to be student workers in the state of Ohio. No experience, no job, no money to pay back student loans, robbed of 30,000 dollars! Today I am looking for a food service position just to make ends meet, I have an associate degree that I can basically wipe my you know what with. Thanks university colleges for robbing me blind!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nia in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

41 months ago

I spent almost about 30,000 on my Associates in Surgical Technology not only was the school I went to unstable with their teaching staff but they also lied about future job prospects and a "JOB PLACEMENT" program. I did do my research before I went in but they assured me of a great many things that just ended up being bull. Now I cant find a job and am making $11.00 p/h 2 dollars less an hour that what I was when I began my education. Afterwards I attended another private college for a short time and was told by my wonderful financial aid advisor that I was almost maxed out of federal aid money for my "COMPLETE UNDERGRADUATE" studies! I was shocked to say the least. Apparently the gov caps students out at $60,000 for Undergrad student aid and once you claim your bachelors you are no longer eligible for grants so its only fed aid/loans, and scholarships for those who can manage to get them. I am now trying to become a doctor and am obligated to get my bachelors from the state college which is a nighmare because they are aweful!!!! thats why I did not stay and go their to begin with but anywho, I am now forced to go there because I can not afford to go else where and now I am running out of financial aid so at some point I am going to have to come out of pocket with some serious cash not to mention my student loan payments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brooke in Brandon, Florida

30 months ago

Ignorance is not a disease that a school is obligated to cure individuals of. It is your job to do the research on your course load and the length of time involved to complete your degree. Additionally, it is your job to borrow responsibly. Federal aid is not based on credit worthiness and that is mainly why so many people borrow from it; it's "easy money." or is it? They are called loans for a reason people. You took them on for whatever reason, you requested "refund checks" for whatever reason, and now you're shocked that you have to pay them back? And sorry to break the news but the economy sucks; everyone has their AA these days cause no one wants to work harder they just assume student loans will fix current and future problems... If you couldn't find a decent job before the degree, good luck finding one now because a degree isn't going to earn you a job. Sure, the market is tough but with that comes a surplus of people who turn to college as a fix all. It's sad that so many people believe student loans are meant to help pay bills while they take two classes at a time, barely pass them and then expect their miniscule efforts to be rewarded with a job. College isn't for everyone; if your people skills aren't good enough to help you earn a job without a degree, you won't find one with a degree. You have no one to blame but yourself. I spent 30k on my AA too and have had to pay for my BA out of pocket. It has taken me 6 years while working two jobs but I made it. I will pay back my loans because it is not the taxpayers faults that I didn't educate myself before borrowing money from the US. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself and pointing fingers, put that effort into a job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

lukensue@frontier.com in Norwalk, Ohio

20 months ago

Melkins in Dayton, Ohio said: I feel like I was robbed of 30,000 dollars in school fees. In my class alone there were over 30 of us and there are 3 other schools within 20 miles that carry the same student load. We were told the jobs were plentiful and the pay was in the mid 40's. We were lied to and I know for a fact it is a waste of money. My last interview a week ago had 60 applicants for 1 position and 20 of us got interviews. I mean how do you complete in the market when we were not aloud to be student workers in the state of Ohio. No experience, no job, no money to pay back student loans, robbed of 30,000 dollars! Today I am looking for a food service position just to make ends meet, I have an associate degree that I can basically wipe my you know what with. Thanks university colleges for robbing me blind!

I did my schooling at Sinclair and graduated in 1981. Lots of jobs back then....but there was a time when Sinclair was pumping out 2 classes/year and Kettering was pumping out students, too. You might have to move out of Dayton to find work. I always see jobs in Columbus, Cincy and Cleveland for techs.

Sue

20 months ago

The recession really hurt the Xray field and by Jan/2009 the Recession was in full bloom.
I hope you have found work since.

Sue

20 months ago

Melkins in Dayton, Ohio said: I know it was my own stupid belief in the school system that got me in so much debt. I went for 4 years for my 2 year degree due to prereq's. I have never met anyone who has a legit 2 yr degree that hasn't spent longer than that to get it. The schools need to be watched carefully because they are robbing us. They are not being honest and they are taking young adults dreams and making them nightmares!

I got my degree in Xray in 2 years... I took out a loan and went FT.for 7 quarters....from Sinclair in Dayton.

Sue

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.