What is the difference between radiology technician and technologist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Curious in Tempe, Arizona

75 months ago

I see these terms interchanged all the time, but technician seem like it should be a step down from technologist. Correct? Like LPN is the level below RN. I've been looking at programs for radiology technologist and see technician all over the place with varying programs. None of them really go into specifics to know what the difference is. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

64 months ago

The terms are not interchangable. Neither are they degrees of education.

Back in the day, ... say, early 1900's, the title of choice was 'technician', I kid you not. By the 1950's, technician had fallen out of favor and was slowly being replaced by 'technologist'. One that seems to be gaining ground since the 80's is 'radiographer'.

Truth is, most nationally certified, professional imagers (Songraphers, Nuclear Medicine Technologists, Radiographers, etc) seem to take offense when referred to as 'technician'. I'm one of those.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

RT in Mission Viejo, California

63 months ago

Curious in Tempe, Arizona said: I see these terms interchanged all the time, but technician seem like it should be a step down from technologist. Correct? Like LPN is the level below RN. I've been looking at programs for radiology technologist and see technician all over the place with varying programs. None of them really go into specifics to know what the difference is. Thank you!

Technologists went through a much more extensive training program and (2yr)internship. Also, there are prerequisites such as an Associates Degree or higher. Technologist pay significantly greater as well.

Technicians are limited licensed techs in Radiology and are trained limited in the amount of exams they can perform. Many hospitals do not hire technicians, and technicians usually work in clinics or outpatient imaging centers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Dallas, Texas

62 months ago

RT in Mission Viejo, California said: Technologists went through a much more extensive training program and (2yr)internship. Also, there are prerequisites such as an Associates Degree or higher. Technologist pay significantly greater as well.

Technicians are limited licensed techs in Radiology and are trained limited in the amount of exams they can perform. Many hospitals do not hire technicians, and technicians usually work in clinics or outpatient imaging centers.

thats correct!.....technicians only know part of the art...and techologists know the entire art

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

FRS IN SURPRISE,AZ.

60 months ago

Just to mention, we are not just Radiologic Technologist but we are ARRT Registered/Certified Radiologic Technologist. We have all worked very hard for this title and always be very proud of what we and family have endured for the sake of patient care and not the paycheck. I have been of this greatness for 22yrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VW65 in Fayetteville, North Carolina

20 months ago

RT in Mission Viejo, California said: Technologists went through a much more extensive training program and (2yr) internship . Also, there are prerequisites such as an Associates Degree or higher. Technologist pay significantly greater as well.

Correction, I am a medical imaging technician and our schooling was a lot harder because we had to learn how to repair the equipment as well as how to do radiography, so it's like two courses in one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VW65 in Fayetteville, North Carolina

20 months ago

Anthony in Dallas, Texas said: thats correct!.....technicians only know part of the art ...and techologists know the entire art

Correction...Imaging technicians know all of the art plus what the physicists knows about setting up a radiology suite...how many "Technologists" knows that in RF the quality of the image is based upon the gravitational pull of the moon? You see we had to learn our jobs plus yours and all of the KVP, MASS, m/sec on how to set a patient up for a scan. There are things that the Dr. does that a technologists isn't allowed to do but we can do everything the Dr. does but he can't do our job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Boerne, Texas

8 months ago

FRS IN SURPRISE,AZ. said: Just to mention, we are not just Radiologic Technologist but we are ARRT Registered/Certified Radiologic Technologist. We have all worked very hard for this title and always be very proud of what we and family have endured for the sake of patient care and not the paycheck. I have been of this greatness for 22yrs.

Hi FRS, I am a 47 y/o, f/t working, single Mom and desperately seeking a career change and a chance to make a better living (personally, compassionately and financially) and was considering going back to school for some type of radiology. Based on your 22+ yes of experience and personal growth, would you be so kind as to offer me your opinions, suggestions or advise ( pro's and cons' if you will) for this field? I would greatly appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Boerne, Texas

8 months ago

VW65 in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: Correction...Imaging technicians know all of the art plus what the physicists knows about setting up a radiology suite...how many "Technologists" knows that in RF the quality of the image is based upon the gravitational pull of the moon? You see we had to learn our jobs plus yours and all of the KVP, MASS, m/sec on how to set a patient up for a scan. There are things that the Dr. does that a technologists isn't allowed to do but we can do everything the Dr. does but he can't do our job.

Hi VW65, I am considering going back to school (has to be nights though) to change my career path completely and was thinking about the field of radiology. Would you be so kind as to offer me your advise on the subject? I would greatly appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

taurus20red in Tucker, Georgia

7 months ago

Hi Michelle.I've been working in radiology for 17 yrs now. I will be glad to give you my opinion. STAY AWAY FROM RADIOLOGY. There are NO FT jobs in this field. No job security whatsoever. This field has been ruined by money hungry radiology schools that saturated the whole field with too many graduates. This field is not regulated properly by the ARRT.This is the organization that is supposed to balance the number of accredited schools that graduate students to make sure there isn't an oversupply of graduates and not enough jobs. They haven't done that in years. All they do is take our hard earned money for membership dues.There are a lot of unemployed radiology techs out there right now. Our jobs are being taken by medical assistants and other noncertified people being trained on the job. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS FIELD. Look into some other field. That's what im doing right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.