need ARRT after many years as a CRT, ARRT denied me

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

radsticker in Cypress, California

53 months ago

I am a CRT with over 17 years of experience indrer my belt. I have been employed the entire time and in good standing. I was layed off in February and I need the ARRT to get hired. I made some bad choices in my 20's when I graduated and struggled with some personal choices and never sat for the exam and got hired without it. Now it is mandatory. When I looked into sitting for the test, the ARRT denied my request. THe women told me I would have to repeat the entire 2 year program over . I found that to be ridiculous and very demeaning. The posts that were advising Techs on clearing their felonies with the ARRT got cleared so is there a possibility that I can be able to got permission without repeating a program? Has anyone else had the same situation happen to them?f so, were you able to take it and how did you go about it? Thanks everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No Reply - Report abuse

Advanced Placement Programs in Norco, California

53 months ago

Thank you for your response to my post. It was very helpful, however the link you sent did not work. I wanted to find the two schools that offer the program you spoke of. Would it be possible to send me the names of the two schools or perhaps a different link? Again, thank you very much for the advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

concerned in Pontiac, Michigan

23 months ago

I am enrolled in a radiation therapy program and graduate in one year. I am concerned on my inability to take the exam due to the fact that 9 years ago (2003) I received 2 possession of marijuana charges and a minor with a bac of .02 to .07 (zero tolerance statute). I recently received an operating while visibly impaired (2012). All of the offenses are misdemeanors that occurred in Michigan and I was wondering if I am even eligible to take the exam to become registered RT(T). Please help thank you.

ARRT Staff in St. Paul, Minnesota

23 months ago

Concerned, ARRT provides an opportunity for individuals to undergo an early ethics review by submitting an Ethics Review Pre-Application if they are at least six months away from graduation. You can find out more by visiting www.arrt.org/ethics or calling ARRT's Ethics Requirements Department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Peter Venkman in Tulsa, Oklahoma

23 months ago

ARRT Staff in St. Paul, Minnesota said: Concerned, ARRT provides an opportunity for individuals to undergo an early ethics review by submitting an Ethics Review Pre-Application if they are at least six months away from graduation. You can find out more by visiting www.arrt.org/ethics or calling ARRT's Ethics Requirements Department.

I have a problem. I just graduated and sent in my registry application.

However, I violated code 1 and 19 by not telling the ARRT about three charges. Two were DUIs, which I believed (incorrectly) to have been expunged from my record.

And the third was a civil restraining order that a man put on me. Yet I was never served by a police officer or a process server. And I live in Oklahoma...and he lives in San Francisco. So I wasn't even aware that I had the restraining order until the ARRT sent me a letter wanting to know why I didn't tell them about it when I sent my registry application in.

Anyway, my question is this: Due to my code violation, what is the likely outcome? Should I start looking for another profession?

WORRIED SICK!!!!!

23 months ago

Again, I'm not asking for a specific answer.

Just, based on previous situations (because I'm sure I'm not the first to do this) what will the ARRT likely do?

I will not hear back from them until the middle of June. And I'm a nervous wreck at the moment. A few of my professors say I should be concerned. But it's not their butts on the line.

Also, I forgot to add, the ARRT wanted documentation of the events and an explanation as to why I didn't tell them about it in the charges in the first place. So I got all the paper work the Ethics Committee requested and wrote an explanation about how stupid I am.

23 months ago

ARRT’s Ethics Requirements Department is available to answer questions about ethics-related items, and can be reached by calling the ARRT office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

ARRT Staff in St. Paul, Minnesota said: ARRT’s Ethics Requirements Department is available to answer questions about ethics-related items, and can be reached by calling the ARRT office.

Well, I'm assuming from your answer (or lack of an answer), I'm screwed.

It is very disturbing and depressing to realize that I have wasted two years of my life...and $12,000. I am very upset :(

Anyway, thanks for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Newoldguy in Port Richey, Florida

21 months ago

I am considering applying to an ARRT recognized Radiography program. The program requires no felonies, and no drug offenses for a 15 year period. Is this the same requirement for the board? I had a couple of marijuana possession (less than an ounce) and a DUI, all prior to 1997. Would this hinder me from certification? I'm a single dad with custody, and I don't want to waste time or money on a degree I can't use. I did that already with a commercial photography degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

micki in Beatty, Oregon

20 months ago

radsticker in Cypress, California said: I am a CRT with over 17 years of experience indrer my belt. I have been employed the entire time and in good standing. I was layed off in February and I need the ARRT to get hired. I made some bad choices in my 20's when I graduated and struggled with some personal choices and never sat for the exam and got hired without it. Now it is mandatory. When I looked into sitting for the test, the ARRT denied my request. THe women told me I would have to repeat the entire 2 year program over . I found that to be ridiculous and very demeaning. The posts that were advising Techs on clearing their felonies with the ARRT got cleared so is there a possibility that I can be able to got permission without repeating a program? Has anyone else had the same situation happen to them?f so, were you able to take it and how did you go about it? Thanks everyone

Your letter was very interesting. I graduated from xray school in 1974 and have not had a problem working or finding a job until recently. I also have the CRT license. But not able to take the ARRT exam because of the length of time since graduation. After 38 years of working in the field, this is really a disgrace!!!!!
I'm living in Nevada now and will NEVER let my CRT in Ca lapse!!!

20 months ago

Newoldguy in Port Richey, Florida said: I am considering applying to an ARRT recognized Radiography program. The program requires no felonies, and no drug offenses for a 15 year period. Is this the same requirement for the board? I had a couple of marijuana possession (less than an ounce) and a DUI, all prior to 1997. Would this hinder me from certification? I'm a single dad with custody, and I don't want to waste time or money on a degree I can't use. I did that already with a commercial photography degree.

Thanks for the question. We recommend you call ARRT's Ethics Requirements Department (www.arrt.org/contact-us) so that we can provide you with the most complete information based on your situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

ARRT Staff in St. Paul, Minnesota said: Thanks for the question. We recommend you call ARRT's Ethics Requirements Department ( www.arrt.org/contact-us ) so that we can provide you with the most complete information based on your situation.

LINK CORRECTION: Thanks for the question. We recommend you call ARRT's Ethics Requirements Department (www.arrt.org/Contact-ARRT) so that we can provide you with the most complete information based on your situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Newoldguy in Port Richey, Florida said: I am considering applying to an ARRT recognized Radiography program. The program requires no felonies, and no drug offenses for a 15 year period. Is this the same requirement for the board? I had a couple of marijuana possession (less than an ounce) and a DUI, all prior to 1997. Would this hinder me from certification? I'm a single dad with custody, and I don't want to waste time or money on a degree I can't use. I did that already with a commercial photography degree.

www.arrt.org/pdfs/publications/Annual-Reports/Annual-Report.pdf

Newoldguy,

The above link is to an ARRT Annual Report from 2010. If you go to page 33, you will see that the Ethics Committee reviewed around 2,800 cases in '10. Of those roughly 2,800 only 6 people were denied eligibility to take the registry. To put it another way, only .002% of those individuals that had their cases reviewed got denied a license.

The data (from an official ARRT Annual Report) is very promising for someone in your situation. It's not that the ARRT doesn't have high standards and lets everyone in.

It's just that, as long as you're upfront about your past and provide documentation to prove you've completed all punishments imposed on you by the court, there is a 99.9% chance you will be accepted into a program and allowed to get a license from the ARRT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

elpaso

15 months ago

I lost my ARRT registry about twelve years ago, i was taking a certification class for Radiation Safety Officer, a three month course 24 CEUs, when i asked for an extentsion i was denied. between than and five months ago i was doing fine. now i cant even get hired, i have been without work for five months. I have been an outstanding technologist for twenty plus years. I'v worked my way up the ladder and now i can't even get a job as a radiology technologist, it's frustrating you give your life and soul to treat others to be denied work in something that you truly enjoy doing. I did try to take the exam, i failed, than after that there was no heart in following through, there was so much family death. I need help, taking the course all over again is too much, finacially i can't. Please help me.

dadlynn in Naples, Florida

15 months ago

Hi.My husband need help studying to pass his ARRt test. He took a 2x and failed. Any help about materials and training would help. Thank you

toffy in Las Vegas, Nevada

14 months ago

i just arrived from the philippines and i am a BSRT graduate in the philippines...how and where can i apply or get a license or certification to work as a radiologic technologist here in vegas?what are the requirements?

radtechstudent in fresno, California

12 months ago

afriend in Santa Maria, California said: I have a very dear friend who was a certified RAD Tech and had obtained AART Certification. He was suspended after reporting he was convicted of a misdemeanor. He was suspended for 3 years . Now years later, he unfortunately received a felony conviction for a domestic violence charge. He renewed his California license each year and has taken the necessary continued eduction. Now is there any hope at all of him being able to get certified by the AART again to continue practicing. It has been over 4 years suspension.

what was he suspended for? this would help out a lot of people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

haley in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

10 months ago

dadlynn in Naples, Florida said: Hi.My husband need help studying to pass his ARRt test. He took a 2x and failed. Any help about materials and training would help. Thank you

I am in the same position did he find more materials or training

radtechstudent in fresno, California

10 months ago

haley in Upper Marlboro, Maryland said: I am in the same position did he find more materials or

Go to radrevieweasy.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Haley in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

10 months ago

radtechstudent in fresno, California said:

Thanks but I need help with ARRT RT(T) exam that site is for RT(R)

john doe in Escondido, California

10 days ago

I understand the ARRT has an ethics review, however, some of us as students do not have the income to pay $100 for a YES or NO answer on top of court documents. I have a 3-year-old Misdemeanor possession of Marijuana/Internal use of, would this disqualify me? My hopes and dreams of becoming a Rad Tech and much more completely hit the fan when I was in the wrong situation at the wrong time at age 19, now being 25, I am set in becoming what so many have already become.

I am in the process of expunging my record, mostly setting aside to the law definitions, and in turn hope this helps my situation--giving my family pride in what I have done to become a professional in the medical field. This forum is old, but can anyone who is ARRT current clarify with more than the basic contact this company and so and so?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.