Compensation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Julia Davis in Greenville, South Carolina

75 months ago

I am about to embark on a journey through a RYT Teacher Training program and am trying to determine whether or I not I will be able to make a salary I can live with making it a full time job. What is the typical pay scale for a beginner teacher teaching hot yoga?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lolaforbes in San Diego, California

68 months ago

me too! Hoping I can get more info. I am in san diego, ca.

Janet in Traverse City, Michigan

56 months ago

It varies by location and studio. Where I live its about $25 per class. Sometimes more with a higher number of students

Margaret in Jupiter, Florida

55 months ago

Until recently a yoga and or experienced fitness instructors were being paid a per head fee of $4-$5 or a $45 to $75 minimum which ever was greater. Three years ago I made $45 -$65 a class (hour) depending on the class. The training is very expensive, as are the CEU's and workshops! Add in the time of planning music and creating the class itself! The over saturation of "boot camp" style RYT teacher training programs, which used to take a year to complete now only a month or a few weeks(at $2700.00 per trainee!) is leaving a lot of bewildered trainees with the misconception that they are going to walk out of their training with a new career (or at least a supplement income) and into a studio and earn $60-$100 dollars a class as they should. It's not going to happen unless Yoga Alliance steps in and puts a tighter rein on the quaility and quantity of teacher training programs. If there's money to be made on the front end and no concern for the outcome some studios will take advantage of misinformed trainees and keep churning out the drones. Find out for yourself before making the commitment, what teachers are demanding in your area. I said demanding. I know some studios that only compensate their new teacher trainees with "free" yoga. If you can stomach pulling in the parking lot next to the owners mercedes go for it. Find a responsible studio that will pay you what you are worth and train with them. They are still around. ( Its ok to ask "whats in it for me". And don't take that "yoga" B.S. that its not about the money. It is about the money or they would not be charging top dollar for the training ) Ask for their background of training also. How long they have practiced, who they trained under, how many training hours they have (they should have at least 500 hr). Hope this helps. Peace & Namaste.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.