How do I become an Employed Yoga Instructor?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Nathan C in Los Angeles, California

44 months ago

I have spent, due to a life changing spinal problem, the last 5 years learning yoga, meditation, intense dieting, 24 hour breath/mind/body awareness and I've decided that I want to put all this knowledge to practical use by teaching it for a living but I don't know where to start. My question is what is the best course of action/actions to take in order to guarantee that I can teach yoga for a living?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lolaforbes in San Diego, California

43 months ago

I am taking a teacher training course. I figure do what you love and the money will follow but will it? Im a single mom with a daughter to support, and I have some other income but it needs to be practical too.

Nathan C in Los Angeles, California said: I have spent, due to a life changing spinal problem, the last 5 years learning yoga, meditation, intense dieting, 24 hour breath/mind/body awareness and I've decided that I want to put all this knowledge to practical use by teaching it for a living but I don't know where to start. My question is what is the best course of action/actions to take in order to guarantee that I can teach yoga for a living?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Glendora, California

26 months ago

Is there anyone who is in their 50s and older who are new to being a yoga instructor? Do you feel its harder to get started in this career at this age? My husband (40) and I are taking instructor class right now in hopes to one day have our own small studio. ITS hard for me but I dont want to give up! I dont want to think I am too old to make a new start in a dream I have had for many years. Just looking for supportive feedback is all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

suemarie in Peoria, Arizona

26 months ago

Holly in Glendora, California said: Is there anyone who is in their 50s and older who are new to being a yoga instructor? Do you feel its harder to get started in this career at this age? My husband (40) and I are taking instructor class right now in hopes to one day have our own small studio. ITS hard for me but I dont want to give up! I dont want to think I am too old to make a new start in a dream I have had for many years. Just looking for supportive feedback is all!

Holly, I'm not a yoga instructor but I am 55 years old and I too am interested in becoming an instructor. I've been practicing yoga for the last 4 years or so. I started with an instructor who has become one of my very best friends, but for the last 2 years I've practiced mainly on my own at home. It's a regular practice that I enjoy very much, but I thought how wonderful it would be to teach something I enjoy so much. I hope you find some answers. I would encourage you and your husband to follow your heart. I know it can be a challenge to make your living as an instructor, from what I've read, but not impossible. Like any business, it takes hard work to succeed. I would also like to know if there is anyone out there in their 50's living their dream as a yoga instructor. Good luck to you and your husband. Namaste, Sue

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.