What are the best youth counselor qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a youth counselor? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective youth counselor?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

vicki gibbs in Elysian, Minnesota

80 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a youth counselor? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective youth counselor?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

would like to become a youth counselor, what traing is needed...... cheerio@hickorytech.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

curtis steward in Mesquite, Texas

80 months ago

the reason that i am at this web site is because i feel that it could be a calling for me to help someone else not to make the same mistakes tat i have made in my life and there is so much advise that i can give to youngsters. i went to prison in 2001 for robbery, and did 6yrs, got out and have been having a problem finding a job. not just any job but a job that can support me and my family that has beenbehind me all this time. i went on to get my CDl hopeing that that would help but noone will hire because of my past and it has been very hard. they tell you to change your way of thinking& living and to do right thing , but noone wants to give you a chance.i just need help myself to be the man that i know that i can be, and if i can do that by helping someone to not make the same mistakes that i made i need to know how i can do that a be finicially stable.i would like to hear back from someone please...curtis-steward@sbcglobal.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VICKI G. in Cleveland, Minnesota

80 months ago

HI CURTIS PRAY PRAY PRAY !!! THAT GOD WILL OPEN A DOOR FOR YOU TO GET INTO THIS FIELD. YOU HAVE THE WISDOM TO SHOW OTHERS WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH AND EXPERINCED. IF ITS MENT TO HAPPEN ''IT WILL'' IF NOT GODS GOT SOMETHING ELSE FOR YOU. EXPECT ONLY THE '''BEST ''' FROM GOD AND BELIEVE IT WHEN HE SAYS HE HAS AWESOME PLANS FOR YOUR LIFE!! GODS FAVOR TO YOU......VICKI 2-6-08

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Christopher in Richmond, Virginia

78 months ago

I have worked in Residential, Group Home, Crisis, and Day school settings for over 13yrs and the hardest job in the world is being an effective Youth Counselor.
Hands on training and training in crisis management, conflict resolution and healthy relationships are essential.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

997 in Toronto, Ontario

74 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tanisha in Newark, New Jersey

63 months ago

HI MY NAME IS TANISHA LEAKE AND I WANTED TO BE A YOUTH COUNSELOR ALL MY AND AND I BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS FOR A LONG TIME NOW AND I DON'T KNOW WERE TO START, HOW TO FIND THE JOB THAT WILL HELP ME START OFF BECAUSE I'VE DONE A LOT OF JOBS IN MY LIFE AND NOTHING COMPARES TO TALKING TO SOMEONE YOUNGER THEN ME ABOUT WHATEVER IS ON THEIR MIND AND BE ABLE TO HELP MAKE ME IT MAKES ME FEEL SO GOOD CAUSE I CAN RELATE TO LOT OF THEIR PROBLEMS MY MOTHER LEFT WHEN I WAS TEN YEARS OLD AND HAD TO LIVE WITH MY GRANDMOTHER AND HELP RAISE MY TWO LITTLE SISTERS AND YEAR WHEN BY WHERE I DIDN'T SEE MY OLDEST AND BROTHER IT SAD THAT WE HAVE TO GET TO KNOW EACH NOW THAT WERE OLDER NOW I SEE MY SELF TALKING TO SOME TEENS WERE I LIVE AND HELPING THEM WITH THERE PROBLEMS I JUST NEED SOME HELP FINDING A PLACE TO START SO I CAN HELP MORE AND MORE TEEN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

louise taylor in Westland, Michigan

61 months ago

how do you get started as youth counsler because i have a associate degree in general studies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

louise taylor in Westland, Michigan said: how do you get started as youth counsler because i have a associate degree in general studies?

My suggestion, as someone whom hires and trains Youth Counselors is to apply for an awake overnight position in Residentail or a Group Home setting; you may even want to sign on as relief or PRN in the same environments. In your cover letter, tell the would be reading what it is you will bring to the environment, not what the environment will do for you. Also, always mention any and all volunteer work you have done. Be prepare to talk about the agency you are applying with...... Know their mission and vision..... Be sure it is in line with your own.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Malia jameson in Rancho Cucamonga, California

60 months ago

louise taylor in Westland, Michigan said: how do you get started as youth counsler because i have a associate degree in general studies?

In all honesty, An associates degree cant even hold water. Your best bet is to go back to school to obtain either your Bachelors or your Associates. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Malia jameson in Rancho Cucamonga, California

60 months ago

Go back to school and obtain either a Bachelors or a Masters degree. An associates really isn't worth anything anymore. Have a blessed day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

With all do respect, a degree will enhance your skills in theory and possibly documentation but it will do nothing for one's intrinsic drive to help. I have hired numerous Youth Counselors that come from backgrounds other than Social Work or "ologies"... It's selfless work and a noble career.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jasmine in Irvington,New Jersey in Glenmoore, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

Hello,My NAME Is Jasmine Im 19 Years Old And Im A High School Graduate thats Trying to Find out Is it Possible for me for me to become a Youth couselor. I Love helping people out with there problems and always wanted to be a great role model for young girls. Were i live at alot of the young females can relate to me As there big sister. I want to start something now to work in a Group home with youth girls. I dont have my drivers license But i just want to know how can i Go about being a Youth Counselor even If I have to Start Working for someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.