What are typical youth counselor salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

sarah in Jacksonville, North Carolina

77 months ago

Joe in Uniontown, Pennsylvania said: This job does not, has not, and never will pay well. A top earner is somebody with a masters degree and previous experience who will only make around $15/hr. Starting salaries are usually around 9-10/hr. It is a hard, stressful job and most people go into it attempting to change the world and quickly become jaded.

You should probably go for more advanced degrees in order to increase your salary, but if you're doing that, why not just get a real job?

That's not true. Most agencies don't pay great, but you can make a decent salary. I said decent. I make 38,000 currently. I do have a masters degree and 5+ years of experience, but it's still about $20 an hour. Big difference from $25.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Gulfport, Mississippi

70 months ago

My salary is starting out around $12 an hour full time with coming out of college with a Bachelors degree not too bad. But I do hope to move up eventually on the pay scale to over $15 an hour after a 1-2 years experience in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AUSTIN POWERS in New Iberia, Louisiana

66 months ago

I AM A STUDENT WHO ATTENDS WESTGATE HIGH SCHOOL. I WOULD LOVE TO COUNSELOR YOUTHS. BECAUSE I AM A YOUTH AT THE MOMENT AND I AM LEARNING FROM THE MISTAKES THAT I AM MAKING OR THAT I MADE. I WANT TO TEACH YOUTHS ABOUT THE WAT LIFE REALLY GOES AND NOT THE WAT THY WANT IT TO GO. AS A TEENAGER YOU WANT THE WORLD TO REVOLVE AROUND YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Kendall in Springfield, Illinois in Springfield, Illinois

52 months ago

I want to be a youth counselor, because I believe I can help many young people who are struggling and dealing with any type of problems or issues they maybe facing in their lives. And I really just believe this is a job task that God wants me to fulfill!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sienna in Moreno Valley, California

51 months ago

I see all these comments above me and it saddens me all because yes the money is important but the job is so much more. You just be giving advice an save a youth from many things such as suicide, drugs, premiscouty, and much more. It would be an honor to be able to help whom ever came across my way. And everything ive been through i would be able to relate to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lizth in Bronx, New York

50 months ago

Yes, is said =( to see that one would only care about "HOW MUCH WILL I EARN!" & not consider that the arising generation is just "CRYING" out for help! Where are the parents!!! Praise God for he is LOVE 1Jn4:16 & and in him, with him, or for him money is not an issue. There are those who HE had chosen to do this job with a willing & obedient Heart in Jesus mighty name!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

JDub in Edmonton, Alberta

50 months ago

Well.... I think after you have some experience you will move up the salary ladder. I think it's a very very reasonable question to ask how much you'll be earning- you need to make bills, rent, food, and genrally live. Money is, clearly, a means of survival in this day and age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

D. Bolling in Cincinnati, Ohio

47 months ago

I would love to be a youth counselor, however I'm in the process right now of obtaining my Bachelor's and eventually my Masters and licensing in social work, do you think that will cover all the bases for youth counseling?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

counseling in Cleveland, Ohio

42 months ago

It depends on where you are counseling. I believe you can do God's work as a therapist and still be practical. You have to survive. Many agencies will begin salary at 32-36K a year just out of college with a MA in counseling or social work. You can make up to 45K as a counselor depending on if you are going in-house or office only. This generally is for a non-profit. If you work for a private practice you can get a 60/40 split (you take 60%) and generally make about $30-60 an hour from insurance. You need good training and to be skilled in your field. Take the job seriously and you will go far. Remember that you work for your clients not an agency. It's a very humbling job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Derrick in Federal Way, Washington

13 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Depends on the degree and experience as well as not much more than the other. Maybe the state that your in also plays a factor in the money as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.