Getting a zamboni driver job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing zamboni driver work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Edmonton, Alberta

70 months ago

I started 3 years ago peeling board glass for the local arena, and from there got a part time job moving nets. Now I am working as a full time arena operator. All I did was talk to my boss and asked for more hours, and as he noticed I had skills on the zamboni so he bumped me to full time.

Keep in mind I am only 18 right now, (so I only have a high school education) and I am seriously considering it as a career, I just need to find a way to get even more better at what I do ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jordan in Sylva, North Carolina

70 months ago

I've been a zam driver for about six years now in Raleigh, NC at the Reczone. (Hurricanes practice rink) I just applied one day at the rink and from there worked my way up to becoming a zam driver. I am currently seeking out employment as a zam driver on a higher level but I am fortunate to have started at a rink where a pro team practices allowing for some good connections. I am currently a senior at Western Carolina University and will hopefully graduate in May with a degree in history. That really has no connection to what I want to do but it is always a good thing to have that diploma.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mac in Burnaby, British Columbia

54 months ago

The best way to get a job as a Zamboni driver is to become a rink rat and volunteer . Move nets , work in the time box .You could also get a paid job as a skate patroller ,or a referee . Get to know the Zamboni drivers ,and ask questions , watch, and learn . Most provinces in Canada you are required to have a refrigeration class power engineer certificate .Most facilites are always looking for part time Zamboni drivers . With the certification and knowledge and contacts you gain from my suggestions above , you should be able to get a foot in the door to get trained to drive . From then on it all depends on your work ethic and ability .( Just like any job ). Be prepared to pay your dues by working weekends ,afternoons or even graveyard shifts .Private facilities will pay a minimum of $ 15 per hour , and a city run facility will pay $21 per hour to start , plus a percentage in lieu of benefits. I made about $ 60,000 last year working full time and a part time job , with a very good benefit package with a pension and savings plan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rink Maintenance in Metro Detroit, Michigan

46 months ago

mac in Burnaby, British Columbia said: The best way to get a job as a Zamboni driver is to become a rink rat and volunteer . Move nets , work in the time box .You could also get a paid job as a skate patroller ,or a referee . Get to know the Zamboni drivers ,and ask questions , watch, and learn . Most provinces in Canada you are required to have a refrigeration class power engineer certificate .Most facilites are always looking for part time Zamboni drivers . With the certification and knowledge and contacts you gain from my suggestions above , you should be able to get a foot in the door to get trained to drive . From then on it all depends on your work ethic and ability .( Just like any job ). Be prepared to pay your dues by working weekends ,afternoons or even graveyard shifts .Private facilities will pay a minimum of $ 15 per hour , and a city run facility will pay $21 per hour to start , plus a percentage in lieu of benefits. I made about $ 60,000 last year working full time and a part time job , with a very good benefit package with a pension and savings plan.

Wow! $15 an hour. I drove a Zamboni for 6+ years and never got near that. I want to work in Canada!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.