Tips for zoo keeper interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming zoo keeper interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

katy gladman in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

95 months ago

I am actually filling in an application form to be a zoo keeper at present. Unfortunately I dont have as much experience as they require. Do you have any tips on how to make my application more positive? I really want to be considered for the role.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

braishel in Des Moines, Iowa

94 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming zoo keeper interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

try your best and practice with a experienced worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

lily in Honolulu, Hawaii

87 months ago

braishel in Des Moines, Iowa said: try your best and practice with a experienced worker.

why do you want to work at the zoo? What would you do if a dangerous animal escape? Describe your responsibilities in the diet and nutrition in zoo animals? Describe your responsibilities in the propagation of zoo animals? Describe responsibilities in the exhibition of zoo animals? Describe the types of safety precautions you applies in exhibiting zoo animals. I hope this helps you. Good luck. Aloha Lily.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jcurry in Columbia, Missouri

69 months ago

BE PREPARED TO ANSWER QUESTIONS THAT START WITH..NAME A TIME WHEN..I can tell you first hand. I recently had an interview with a pretty high up national zoo and they gave me atleast 4 of those questions..."name a time in your life with you were the most stressed and how you overcame it" those type questions. I was NOT at all prepared for those and sat in silence for what seemed like forever trying to remember a time when that happened. Luckily they still hired me..but be prepared for those!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Fresno, California

61 months ago

lily in Honolulu, Hawaii said: why do you want to work at the zoo? What would you do if a dangerous animal escape? Describe your responsibilities in the diet and nutrition in zoo animals? Describe your responsibilities in the propagation of zoo animals? Describe responsibilities in the exhibition of zoo animals? Describe the types of safety precautions you applies in exhibiting zoo animals. I hope this helps you. Good luck. Aloha Lily.

One that I have heard is if a sort of infection occurred in one of the animals in an exhibit, how would you react.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

waley_860448 in Cedar Park, Texas

39 months ago

If you work at a zoo, and a dangerous animal escapes you won't have to worry because #1 there will be people there that are trained exactly for that reason, and #2 you would be trained and warned so that if something like that happened you would know what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

lily in Honolulu, Hawaii

38 months ago

waley_860448 in Cedar Park, Texas said: If you work at a zoo, and a dangerous animal escapes you won't have to worry because #1 there will be people there that are trained exactly for that reason, and #2 you would be trained and warned so that if something like that happened you would know what to do.[/Q if you are a zoo keeper and a dangerous animal does escaped is everybodys responsibity to deal with this situation not just certain people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mia in Glendale, California

38 months ago

Learn zoo procedures for handling injuries and escapes. Make the most of the animal experience you do have and be ready to show how it relates to the job. Talk up your people skills, most animal people arn't the best working with others( hence their interest in animals) so working well with people will be an asset. And epically with the public, sharing knowlagable, answering questions, and remember to know what you want out of the job and how you can help make the zoo a better place, that your goals and theirs are similar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Willow Sky in Flagstaff, Arizona

26 months ago

jcurry in Columbia, Missouri said: BE PREPARED TO ANSWER QUESTIONS THAT START WITH..NAME A TIME WHEN..I can tell you first hand. I recently had an interview with a pretty high up national zoo and they gave me atleast 4 of those questions..."name a time in your life with you were the most stressed and how you overcame it" those type questions. I was NOT at all prepared for those and sat in silence for what seemed like forever trying to remember a time when that happened. Luckily they still hired me..but be prepared for those!

Would my answer pertain to a stressful time while working with animals, or my life in general?
I too have an interview in December, and I'm trying to prepare. Thanks, Willow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Willow Sky in Flagstaff, Arizona

26 months ago

waley_860448 in Cedar Park, Texas said: If you work at a zoo, and a dangerous animal escapes you won't have to worry because #1 there will be people there that are trained exactly for that reason, and #2 you would be trained and warned so that if something like that happened you would know what to do.

If you are in charge of the safety of the animals and public, you do have to worry. Mostly you need to respond in a quick but calm manner so you don't cause a panic and chaos. Even if it means dispatching the emergency response team, or 911. YOU NEVER JUST DO NOTHING!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.