Best companies to work for in Albuquerque?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 124)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

NewtoABQ in Albuquerque, New Mexico

51 months ago

KD in Cherry Hill, New Jersey said: do you miss anything about the NJ/NY/PA area??

YES, as i mentioned on posting - better restaurants, bit more sophistication - if that's a priority, it's easy to get away to cities like LA, SF, Denver and Phoenix..dont come to abq seeking that big city excitement, not here and it shouldn't..that's exactly why we are here in the first place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CookieDL in Albuquerque, New Mexico

50 months ago

Host said: What companies are fueling growth in Albuquerque? Why are they a great employer?

I work for the BEST company in Albuquerque ~ UNIRAC! We manufacture solar module mounting structures and we keep doing better and better! The employees have recognition and reward programs, Quarterly bonuses and celebrations, Bring Your Dog To Work every quarter, 100% paid benefits, life insurance and disability, education reimbursement, reimbursement for joing a gym ~ there are too many to mention! Best place I've EVER worked!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mitchb2 in Sterling, Illinois

50 months ago

Hi, everyone. I just realized that indeed.com has forums.
I have an electrical engineering degree and about 7 years of solid experience. Unfortunately, I'm 42 years old! I left the workforce to raise children and support my wife's career. Now I can't get a job.

I recently dove into the IT world to broaden my horizons. I have a Cisco CCNA certification and I've been teaching the CCNA courses at the college level for the past year.

Sandia doesn't seem to have anything for me.

Any suggestions for me in Albuquerque? I'm perfectly willing to go entry-level because I know that I learn quickly, have a strong work ethic, and I'm hungry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

New gal in ABQ in Albuquerque, New Mexico

50 months ago

Paulo in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Hey guys, lets take it easy on Johnny. With all his experience and education, he is probably very frustrated that he can't land a non-entry level job. As far as hating on the people here, he might just be upset at the slower laid back speed that we operate on. Come this is the "Land of Manana", I moved here from Sacramento, were business operates at a much faster rate. The sense of urgency here in Albuquerque is much different.

I was out of work for months in Sacto and within a few days of searching here in Albuquerque I landed a decent entry level job. Not nearly what I am use to earning or any where near the upper level management job I held for 15 years, but at least I have my foot in the door of a large corporation. I just had to keep an open mind to whatever I could get and keep a good attitude.

I'll take Albuquerque's single digit unemployment rate over California's double digit rate, anytime!

I know it is hard being in a new state and let's face it a new culture, but if you keep an open mind and a good attitude, you WILL find employment here. It may not be what you are wanting or expecting but if you are as good as you say you are, you will advance.

Paulo, any pointers, I am out here from California and have been looking this past week for work. Mostly looking online and driving around to look at the landscape and such. Would like to re-locate here very soon. Need to take a breather from the Cali environment, its choking me........ New Gal in Town...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in La Mesa, California

50 months ago

Host said: What companies are fueling growth in Albuquerque? Why are they a great employer?

I've been visiting Albuquerque and Rio Rancho for over 13 years. I find your comment about the people and the place repulsive. My wife and I have found the people to be warm and friendly 98% of the time. I think you should look inside yourself and see what makes you different. You are the first person whom I've encountered that felt that way. Everyone else I've met and talked too say they don't know why it took them so long to get there and that they'd never go back to whhere they came from. Maybe you're just too snooty to appreciate the place and the people who live there. I suggest you go back to where you came from with all of your other snooty MBA's. Besides, if you liked Florida so much why did you leave in the first place?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

as in Valrico, Florida

49 months ago

I live in FL. Have been here 20 yrs. Coming to ABQ in August to look for work. Will stay if I find a job. I have done commercial loan processing for many years. No college degree. Not looking for a "career". Upper middle age, but need to be able to live. If anyone has any suggestions. Please tell me! We have been to ABQ four times and love it.

Linda in Albuquerque, New Mexico

49 months ago

CookieDL in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: I work for the BEST company in Albuquerque ~ UNIRAC! We manufacture solar module mounting structures and we keep doing better and better! The employees have recognition and reward programs, Quarterly bonuses and celebrations, Bring Your Dog To Work every quarter, 100% paid benefits, life insurance and disability, education reimbursement, reimbursement for joing a gym ~ there are too many to mention! Best place I've EVER worked!!

Is there any job openings, because I moved here 7 months ago, and not having any luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

New gal in ABQ in San Jose, California

45 months ago

KaliDevi in Indianapolis, Indiana said: We want to move to Albuquerque or Santa Fe areas in the near future. Very interested in the job market for multimedia design/development, veterinarian and personal training/security. Any advise?

KaliDevi....you just have to do lots of research like I am. Seems like this area is still in development. But you either need a 4 year degree or masters to make a decent living. I know they are building a some sort of movie studios out there, and try the University of New Mexico website. Lots of opportunities there. Wanted to move out there this year, but have to wait a few more months. Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

New gal in ABQ in San Jose, California

45 months ago

mitchb2 in Sterling, Illinois said: Hi, everyone. I just realized that indeed.com has forums.
I have an electrical engineering degree and about 7 years of solid experience. Unfortunately, I'm 42 years old! I left the workforce to raise children and support my wife's career. Now I can't get a job.

I recently dove into the IT world to broaden my horizons. I have a Cisco CCNA certification and I've been teaching the CCNA courses at the college level for the past year.

Sandia doesn't seem to have anything for me.

Any suggestions for me in Albuquerque? I'm perfectly willing to go entry-level because I know that I learn quickly, have a strong work ethic, and I'm hungry.

You may want to hang tight mitch, last time I was out there visiting, there was a new Hewlett Packard being built. Not sure how or when the hiring will go on there. Also, try the University of NM website, may be some leads. Good Luck,

Pax323 in cheyenne, Wyoming

41 months ago

My partner and I currently live in wyoming. We are looking for a place to be outdoors, and a relaxing place to live. Abq sounds and looks wonderful, and we are planning on moving there in about six months as we need to save up money. :)

I am on disability but would love to work part time from home. Have past customer service experience, but looking for something where I am not on a phone, but on a laptop.

My partner is looking for warehouse work, cashier, just about anything except fast food. She has a seizure disorder, but is taking medication where it has been controlled. If anyone has ideas of a good place for her to apply when we move there it would be helpful. :)

We are even wonderinf if we would need to have a car down there as we both want to buy bikes to get around? If car isn't needed then we will just rent a uhaul to move.

Oh and yes what the origional poster wrote was very rude. Everything I have looked up regarding abq says that jobs are plentiful, and the people are awesome. We look forward to calling this our new home soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lived here all my life in Albuquerque, New Mexico

40 months ago

Johnny in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: I just came out here from the Florida market. DO NOT MOVE OUT HERE! The people are horrible and there is no work worth your time unless you are like me, holding an MBA with a 18yr uper managment and sales background. You can get a job at IHop or min wage anywere. That is ot out here. I will do anything to get out of this God for saking town. TRUE ADVICE NO B*ULLS*HIT!

Have you checked the bus schedules? Good luck to you where ever you go!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JP in Lakeside, California

40 months ago

Go back to Florida you whiney little baby. The PPl in NM are great. You're just a negative person.

big ten in Santa Fe, New Mexico

35 months ago

You people are crazy this place is full of crap the place sucks theirs no work every bodys poor no gas money.They dont hire white people fl is nicer like naples fl clean I moved here in 08 every since i moved here i cant find a good job cold as hell windy cant drive a good cab no money 27% split tax at that wow we wife loves i want to move even airzona is beeter you can drive cab their

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cappleman in Albuquerque, New Mexico

35 months ago

Although I have been struggling to find a full time job before I graduate from college in December, I am trying to stay positive because I know that I will come off as a better choice for employment if I do so. I agree that it is much harder to find a job by simply posting a resume in response to an online ad. I am about to start visiting the locations I have applied for to introduce myself and put a face to the resume they have received from me, and hopefully if my resume didn't impress them I will. My question is mostly curiosity about what everyone who graduated with a 4-year degree in psychology did with it afterwards? Were you able to find an entry level job that specifically asked for a bachelors in psychology? Please let me know, and I will broaden my job search that much more! Thank you so much in advance!

NewGal05

34 months ago

Cappleman in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Although I have been struggling to find a full time job before I graduate from college in December, I am trying to stay positive because I know that I will come off as a better choice for employment if I do so. I agree that it is much harder to find a job by simply posting a resume in response to an online ad. I am about to start visiting the locations I have applied for to introduce myself and put a face to the resume they have received from me, and hopefully if my resume didn't impress them I will. My question is mostly curiosity about what everyone who graduated with a 4-year degree in psychology did with it afterwards? Were you able to find an entry level job that specifically asked for a bachelors in psychology? Please let me know, and I will broaden my job search that much more! Thank you so much in advance!

Cappleman, I just relocated into town a few weeks ago to be with my fiance, and yes there are lots of jobs available, but maybe you are right. This internet job application takes forever. I am also trying to stay positive, but was thinking of taking the same approach.

NewGal05

34 months ago

Just wanted to head a warning to any new residents to the state of New Mexico.....last week I found out while applying for my Drivers License that because of a DUI from 5 years ago,even though I paid my fines years ago and completed my Drivers program in another state,this doesnt matter. A NM law requires that I now have to have an interlocking device put on my vehicle for 1 year! Plus pay monthy fees for the deivce. This also disqualifies me from driving from driving in any company vehicles and I cannot apply for a CDL until after the year is completed. I lost a decent paying job offer from a great company because of this. It is what it is, but just wanted to warn any newcomers. Not quite the Welcome wagon if you have a previous DUI or DWI. So make sure you can land a decent paying job to pay the fees. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Simber in Albuquerque, New Mexico

33 months ago

The problem is that companies are not coming to New Mexico. I have lived here for over 30 years and the growth is nil. We need to start recruiting major companies to New Mexico. Are climate is great, our workforce is ready. I have known people that have moved here and left because the wages are ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

NewGal05 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

33 months ago

This is sooooo true, I have great skills, have been in the hospitality and Maintenance industry for years, and no calls as of yet. The other day I got a call from Toys R Us to work for $7.75 an hour? And there is no in between hiring rates, you either work for $8.00 and hour or you have to have a Bachelors and maybe get paid $17.00 and hour, if your lucky. I am trying really hard and would like to stay, am even taking a few classes and investing in NM educational system. Lets see if it pays off!!

Bev in Mesa, Arizona

32 months ago

I am an out of work accountant in Phoenix, AZ. Have a good friend in Albuquerque and have been there many times, I like the area. I have staff/senior accounting and accounting manager experience both here and in the Bay Area. I am considering a change to Albuquerque. Can anyone give any feedback on accounting type jobs in the area? I do have great technical and people skills, a place to stay but don't want to be a burden too long on my friend! Jobs are fairly tough here in Phoenix, and I think a change of pace may be a good thing for me. I'm not looking to be picky on the entry level of a position. Thanks for much for your feedback!

NORTHSTAR in La Luz, New Mexico

32 months ago

Louie in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: The best jobs in Albuquerque are mainly found in defense and research, which mean Sandia National Labs. However, there are a few interesting companies such as Eclipse Aviation and White Star, a small electric car manufacturer. Yet, these companies tend to be doing more research than manufacturing at the moment. Fidelity plans to open a large operation here soon. Victoria Secrets, Citi, Wachovia, AOL, have call centers located here. To the surprise of many, Hollywood is setting up shop here as well. Two studios recently opened up, and a few films have been filmed in the surrounding areas—3:10 to YUMA and the Transformers. Many more are in production. Movie crews are always at work in downtown.
Albuquerque is a growing city. The population is 504,949. It has grown by 80,000 people in the last six years. Many who move here tend to come from California, New York, and Texas. Many love the big sky, the open spaces, the sunny climate, and the relaxed environment. Houses are still fairly inexpensive here when compared to the national average. Mass transportation systems are being created. The Albuquerque Public School system has much to be desired; however, most of the private schools, the Albuquerque Academy, Bosque Prep, and Sandia Prep , and a couple of charter schools, AIMS@UNM and Amy Bheil, tend to be good. Albuquerque is also home to the University of New Mexico.
There is a nice zoo, a botanical garden, an Aquarium, decent museums. There are lots of restaurants that serve every genre of cuisine. There are nice movie theaters.
If you are planning to move out here for work, I highly suggest that you visit first. The “high desert” isn’t for everyone; Albuquerque isn’t for everyone. Many love it, some hate it. Albuquerque is a city that tends to grow on you. It is different for everybody.

You have a very good grasp of the town of Albuquerque, NM. Yes we have the movie industry.

NORTHSTAR in La Luz, New Mexico

32 months ago

Louie in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: The best jobs in Albuquerque are mainly found in defense and research, which mean Sandia National Labs. However, there are a few interesting companies such as Eclipse Aviation and White Star, a small electric car manufacturer. Yet, these companies tend to be doing more research than manufacturing at the moment. Fidelity plans to open a large operation here soon. Victoria Secrets, Citi, Wachovia, AOL, have call centers located here. To the surprise of many, Hollywood is setting up shop here as well. Two studios recently opened up, and a few films have been filmed in the surrounding areas—3:10 to YUMA and the Transformers. Many more are in production. Movie crews are always at work in downtown.
Albuquerque is a growing city. The population is 504,949. It has grown by 80,000 people in the last six years. Many who move here tend to come from California, New York, and Texas. Many love the big sky, the open spaces, the sunny climate, and the relaxed environment. Houses are still fairly inexpensive here when compared to the national average. Mass transportation systems are being created. The Albuquerque Public School system has much to be desired; however, most of the private schools, the Albuquerque Academy, Bosque Prep, and Sandia Prep , and a couple of charter schools, AIMS@UNM and Amy Bheil, tend to be good. Albuquerque is also home to the University of New Mexico.
There is a nice zoo, a botanical garden, an Aquarium, decent museums. There are lots of restaurants that serve every genre of cuisine. There are nice movie theaters.
If you are planning to move out here for work, I highly suggest that you visit first. The “high desert” isn’t for everyone; Albuquerque isn’t for everyone. Many love it, some hate it. Albuquerque is a city that tends to grow on you. It is different for everybody.[/Q
You have a very good grasp of the town of Albuquerque, NM. Yes we have the movie industry

Nancy TX in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

31 months ago

Although it is beautiful here, in its own way, the truth is that unemployment is high - it might be in the single-digits but that's relative considering how small this place is. Yes, Lowe's is opening up a call center and hiring 250 people, but it's a phone bank that will pay minimum-wage. People are as nice here as they are anywhere else, but talking to friendly people in the library doesn't pay your bills. Winters are freezing. You can pound the pavement hauling your resume' around from dawn to dusk and you won't hear anything back from potential employers. Even if you know people, jobs are scarce and competition for them is absolutely cut-throat. I am going home to Texas ASAP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

raisedinABQ in Las Vegas, Nevada

31 months ago

I have to say, all of the comments here are based purely on individual, and personal experiences. I hope that you dont base any major decisions on any of the negative comments on this page. Having said that, i have neen born and raised here in ABQ and I love this city for a lot of reasons. Its beautiful, outdoors here have endless possibilities, great community of people and lots more. I love my job at the #1 running store in the state (5 years in a row), and the mix of customers i help every day there for the past 8 years are so great that i have to say, ABQ is worth it. I have traveled the country, been through the Army amongst people from every part of the country and the world... and I still love ABQ the most. Plus, our green chile is the best compliment to your diet that has been discovered. You just cant deny the all around beauty of this place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

boyd in Leusden, Netherlands

30 months ago

SamuelG in Rio Rancho, New Mexico said: Reynaldo, I've been job hunting here and have come accross an endless amount of jobs in the gaming industry. There are plenty of jobs in all of the casinos and you don't have to drive forever. Come on down man, you'll love it.

I (20 years of age, male)live in the Netherlands (and I'm Dutch), but want to work in the US, preferably in Albuquerque, NM. Would it also be possible for me to work in the gaming industry? Do the hire foreigners? Is anyone familiar with the workpermit?

raisedinABQ in Phoenix, Arizona

30 months ago

big ten in Santa Fe, New Mexico said: You people are crazy this place is full of crap the place sucks theirs no work every bodys poor no gas money.They dont hire white people fl is nicer like naples fl clean I moved here in 08 every since i moved here i cant find a good job cold as hell windy cant drive a good cab no money 27% split tax at that wow we wife loves i want to move even airzona is beeter you can drive cab their

Holy crap man go back to florida and learn how to spell. You just made yourself look worse than you tried to make Abq look. Hahaha Smart one

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ronny in Albuquerque, New Mexico

30 months ago

Johnny in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: I just came out here from the Florida market. DO NOT MOVE OUT HERE! The people are horrible and there is no work worth your time unless you are like me, holding an MBA with a 18yr uper managment and sales background. You can get a job at IHop or min wage anywere. That is ot out here. I will do anything to get out of this God for saking town. TRUE ADVICE NO B*ULLS*HIT!

Albuquerque is great. This guy is the horrible one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

looking for work in Espanola, New Mexico

30 months ago

Been out of work for many months. Work in the construction indistry and am licenced. would like to stay in new mexico, but am running out of options. Any leads?

big ten in Albuquerque, New Mexico

30 months ago

This is mark i moved here from naples fl this place sucks for work your in the building trade i would move to naples fl where real rich people live they need always a not like abq new mexico Yes i know if you dont like it leave .I will 10 days to drive taxie cab in mesa az lets be real .LARRY BIRD AND LOTS OF FAMOUS PEOPLE LIVE IN NAPLES FL WHERE THEIR RICH PEOPLE LIVE THE MONEY FLOWS.NOT LIKE ABQ NM NO MONEY FLOWING

Bev in Mesa, Arizona

30 months ago

What? It takes you 10 hours to get from Alb to Mesa? Probably you should go back to Naples and think of a new career path. And you are going to NM for money?

rvolguin in Albuquerque, New Mexico

29 months ago

(((Sigh))) I recently returned here, after being away for many years. Now I am wondering if it was the right thing to do. I have experience, passion, dedication, freedom and flexibility. Yet, here I sit, trying to justify my decision to relocate.

Bill Kesatie in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: I am a job developer working with Goodwill Industries of New Mexico. I can tell you from first hand experience that there is lots of opportunity here in Albuquerque. The question is what type of opportunity are you seeking? What type of skill sets do you have? What is your disposition during interviews? The more pay that you are seeking, the longer it takes to land a good (and the right) job.

Having said that, some of the old reliables here in town are definitely struggling. Intel, PNM and Sandia Labs which are three major employers are all considering or performing cutbacks and layoffs. That doesn't mean that there is no jobs -- you just have to look beyond the most major employers to find them.

ru in Albuquerque, New Mexico

28 months ago

It's too bad for our country that someone holding an MBA can't spell. Two words genious: SPELL CHECK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeepers in Germantown, Maryland

27 months ago

Dude, you spelled genius wrong

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Thinking of moving in Louisville, Kentucky

27 months ago

ru in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: It's too bad for our country that someone holding an MBA can't spell. Two words genious: SPELL CHECK!

It's "genius". :-)

BacktoABQ in Washington, District of Columbia

27 months ago

I am living in MD right now, but can’t stay. MD is too expensive and the salaries I find are as big as those in Albuquerque. Of course, the problem with ABQ is that jobs are very hard to find and the ones available are those at Sandia Labs. Or the Air force. Said that, once you get one, it is nice to live there.

NewGal05

27 months ago

I have been livn here on my own for 8 months now, but it has been a tough move. Make sure u have enough to cover rent and such till you find work. Lots of jobs but application process can take forever. U should start looking b4 u move and it helps if u have a clean record or background. All jobs will b checkn this. The weather is good, quite dusty and dry but people are good and everyone seems to keep to themselves. No big city, but lots of hiking, biking and travel. Good luck!

Paige in Davis, California

23 months ago

defending the duke city in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Albuquerque is beautiful we do have a city life but we have beautiful scenery that you cannot find any where. We do not have best public transportation but we do have beautiful bike trails that with a little more effort can get you any where in the city. Jobs are not hard to come by just got to put a little effort rather then driving around buildings looking for now hiring signs (that's how that one blogger found IHOP was hiring). I know this because well my highest education is a GED and have had no problems finding a job that pays real well with benefits. I am a Technical Analyst . With all the positive things about Albuquerque it never hurts any one to do a little research...Forgot to mention the people here are really nice, true we do have some bad eggs like every where else but those bad eggs are the people like the first blogger who move out here make the worst of life and spread it to everyone around them. Welcome to the Duke City!!!

I've heard that if you have any education above high school or GED then jobs are hella hard to find and they specifically DON'T want you. Most State of New Mexico jobs actually spell out that they want X number of years of work experience and high school or GED and NOTHING ELSE. No substitution of higher education for work experience, not like other states where that "substitution" is allowed because the state government in other states would actually rather hire a more educated workforce than high school dropouts with years of work experience. It feels like there, the more higher education you have, the WORSE off you are trying to find a job. I actually overheard - I kid you not - someone saying that he'd rather hire people WITH felony convictions and criminal records because anyone without a criminal record, he wondered "where they'd been." I kid you not. Employers?? Actually think that if you've been in jail at least they know where you've BEEN??

23 months ago

NewGal05 said: I have been livn here on my own for 8 months now, but it has been a tough move. Make sure u have enough to cover rent and such till you find work. Lots of jobs but application process can take forever. U should start looking b4 u move and it helps if u have a clean record or background. All jobs will b checkn this. The weather is good, quite dusty and dry but people are good and everyone seems to keep to themselves. No big city , but lots of hiking, biking and travel. Good luck!

No, actually from the gist of my being there last summer, it seems that a criminal record and NO college degree stand a better chance of finding work in Albuquerque and probably all of New Mexico, unless you want to teach. Teaching is about the ONLY thing there that actually wants people with higher education credentials and no criminal record (beyond late library books). No it doesn't "help" if you have college degrees and a clean background; it seems that only "hurts" in the Wild, Wild West where they don't TRUST anyone who's never seen the inside of a police station!

Or maybe they just didn't believe ME about that because I'm Choctaw Indian.....there's that, too.

23 months ago

BacktoABQ in Washington, District of Columbia said: I am living in MD right now, but can’t stay. MD is too expensive and the salaries I find are as big as those in Albuquerque. Of course, the problem with ABQ is that jobs are very hard to find and the ones available are those at Sandia Labs. Or the Air force. Said that, once you get one, it is nice to live there.

Realize that there are only slightly over 2 million people in the whole STATE and it's like the 7th largest state in land area. That's the jobs-to-people ratio. That said, it ranks number 16 in unemployment lately - 16 from the TOP. That doesn't mean that jobs go begging, on the contrary they're as picky as hell; most wanting perfect credit and preferring years of work experience to college degrees.

23 months ago

I'm surprised the MBA helps worth diddly squat. It's the 18 years experience that's all they're looking for, trust me. Higher education means very little; I was surprised as hell that so much of the state is actively recruiting Math teachers. And even THAT, really only requires an Associates degree, and again, they prefer work experience even there.

23 months ago

boyd in Leusden, Netherlands said: I (20 years of age, male)live in the Netherlands (and I'm Dutch), but want to work in the US, preferably in Albuquerque, NM. Would it also be possible for me to work in the gaming industry? Do the hire foreigners? Is anyone familiar with the workpermit?

I used to work for INS but that was several Presidential administrations ago, so I can only guess that these days, you'd have to get some sort of work visa lined up with the American Embassy in Amsterdam BEFORE setting out. Or come here and marry a US citizen; that's what most foreigners are resorting to these days. You see working in a casino doesn't qualify you for a H1-B visa because it's not highly skilled or requiring advanced levels of education (like scientists, doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc).

23 months ago

Nancy TX in Rio Rancho, New Mexico said: Although it is beautiful here, in its own way, the truth is that unemployment is high - it might be in the single-digits but that's relative considering how small this place is. Yes, Lowe's is opening up a call center and hiring 250 people, but it's a phone bank that will pay minimum-wage. People are as nice here as they are anywhere else, but talking to friendly people in the library doesn't pay your bills. Winters are freezing. You can pound the pavement hauling your resume' around from dawn to dusk and you won't hear anything back from potential employers. Even if you know people, jobs are scarce and competition for them is absolutely cut-throat. I am going home to Texas ASAP.

All I can say to this is that it's way WORSE everywhere else. In the Bay Area in California, the competition for work is absolutely cut-throat too, and the added problem is the COMMUTE once you DO get something, wears out your car and gas money eats up your entire paycheck and THEN some for every little repair costing you in the quadruple digits (and I drive an "economy" car?!?!) and try registering a used car in California without spending triple-digits to the DMV in fees and quadruple digits making it PASS SMOG?!?!

At least the cost of living in New Mexico is way lower so that it's easier to live. And don't forget Medicaid. Medicaid is for everyone low-income not just the unwed mothers and the disabled. So that makes all the difference in the world. Medical care you don't wind up in Bankruptcy Court over the BILLING from.

23 months ago

NewGal05 in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: This is sooooo true, I have great skills, have been in the hospitality and Maintenance industry for years, and no calls as of yet. The other day I got a call from Toys R Us to work for $7.75 an hour? And there is no in between hiring rates, you either work for $8.00 and hour or you have to have a Bachelors and maybe get paid $17.00 and hour, if your lucky. I am trying really hard and would like to stay, am even taking a few classes and investing in NM educational system. Lets see if it pays off!!

No, you can have more than a Bachelor's and STILL get that call from Toys R Us for that $7.75/hour. Bachelors or higher degree requiring jobs are few and far between in New Mexico if you don't also have the 3-5 years work experience they demand go with it. As if. Anyone who fit THAT criteria wouldn't want to live in an OVEN. It is, after all, a Desert state.

23 months ago

True story. I was on my way to Las Cruces to sign up to substitute teach Math. (This is my "a funny thing happened on the way to Las Cruces" story.) My 30-year-old Toyota vapor locked in Raton. The guy who ran out and chased down the car and stopped it from running away, told me that I should instead look into teaching overseas with the Dept of Defense schools. Now this is someone not looking at my credentials or my personal credit "problem" with being drowning in debt from the Student Loans from way back in my Undergrad years. Point blank. No, school districts don't check credit for their Teaching job applicants. That's why I resort to that, yes even with Yale and law school under my belt. Everything is checking credit these days. And as for poverty? Once you're drowning in debt and have one Bankruptcy under your belt, places stop being willing to lend you any more money, even more Student Loans (even THOSE are checking credit) to get OUT of poverty. No, being a $60 a day substitute teacher is ALL you can GET if you can't pass a better job's credit check.

Remember the good ol' days when teachers got Room and Board provided by the school....???!!! Instead of winding up just as poverty-stricken as people who didn't even finish high school and those with criminal records or drug and alcohol addictions.....which is the FIRST assumption when you go into the welfare office to apply for Medicaid or Section 8, NOT that you're a poverty-stricken TEACHER. I've had to learn to live with that constant INSULT everywhere I go like a kick in the head. I got Math teaching credentials to wind up schlepped right in with the drunks and the druggies and the criminal element.

23 months ago

Nancy TX in Rio Rancho, New Mexico said: Although it is beautiful here, in its own way, the truth is that unemployment is high - it might be in the single-digits but that's relative considering how small this place is. Yes, Lowe's is opening up a call center and hiring 250 people, but it's a phone bank that will pay minimum-wage. People are as nice here as they are anywhere else, but talking to friendly people in the library doesn't pay your bills. Winters are freezing. You can pound the pavement hauling your resume' around from dawn to dusk and you won't hear anything back from potential employers. Even if you know people, jobs are scarce and competition for them is absolutely cut-throat. I am going home to Texas ASAP.

With criteria like this, the only places where unemployment will be "low enough" will be in the DAKOTAS where there's no HOUSING such that even $60,000/year oil drilling engineers are still living in their CARS because even the MOTELS are full.

23 months ago

Stacy in Tampa, Florida said: I work in the insurance industry in Florida and absolutely hate it. I want to work in the green industry, have a 4 yr degree and love the West. I miss the wide open spaces of Texas and want to live in a dog-friendly, diverse community . Albuquerque sounds perfect but I'm not sure if I could land a job in research with just a four year degree in psychology. I'm used to making decent money and wonder if anyone has some suggestions? I don't know anyone that lives there so I would be completely on my own.

I will say one thing: not a lot is advertised either on the Internet or in the local newspapers' online editions. More is done "word of mouth" and in person. You have to be there in person and look around. There are some things you can get applications for on the website, print them out and mail them in, but you will rarely hear back from things you do that way. And places almost never answer their email. I had to try endlessly to apply for housing on the southeast housing authority's website and the thing kept giving me an "error" message for months on end, I sent an email which was never answered, and finally had to CALL down there only to be told that they weren't taking applications which still doesn't answer why their web application doesn't work. That is the typical mentality of all of New Mexico (that was Alamogordo) not just Albuquerque. Very technologically UN-sophisticated when it comes for applying not only for jobs but for housing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

as in Valrico, Florida said: I live in FL. Have been here 20 yrs. Coming to ABQ in August to look for work. Will stay if I find a job. I have done commercial loan processing for many years. No college degree. Not looking for a "career". Upper middle age, but need to be able to live. If anyone has any suggestions. Please tell me! We have been to ABQ four times and love it.

No college degree? - PERFECT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

NewGal05 said: Just wanted to head a warning to any new residents to the state of New Mexico.....last week I found out while applying for my Drivers License that because of a DUI from 5 years ago,even though I paid my fines years ago and completed my Drivers program in another state,this doesnt matter. A NM law requires that I now have to have an interlocking device put on my vehicle for 1 year! Plus pay monthy fees for the deivce. This also disqualifies me from driving from driving in any company vehicles and I cannot apply for a CDL until after the year is completed. I lost a decent paying job offer from a great company because of this. It is what it is, but just wanted to warn any newcomers. Not quite the Welcome wagon if you have a previous DUI or DWI. So make sure you can land a decent paying job to pay the fees. :(

Yeah, they're big on DUI's. If you've been there any length of time and DRIVEN on their streets or their freeways, you can see WHY. As long as there's no DWI or DUI on your driving record in ANY state, you will be fine. What kind of advice is this, anyway, you can't have DUI's on your driving record in MOST states with no penalty! The "penalty" is that you can't get a job driving a company vehicle - you really shouldn't be driving any company vehicle if you're likely to get behind the wheel drunk. There's nothing "unreasonable" about this!

You see, in New Mexico, getting tanked up and getting behind the wheel and, oh, you know, smashing up your car and KILLING SOMEONE, is a BIG thing. You have a DUI anywhere, EVER, you shouldn't be driving a company vehicle anyway.

Nate in Albuquerque, New Mexico

22 months ago

Paulo in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Hey guys, lets take it easy on Johnny. With all his experience and education , he is probably very frustrated that he can't land a non- entry level job. As far as hating on the people here, he might just be upset at the slower laid back speed that we operate on. Come this is the "Land of Manana", I moved here from Sacramento, were business operates at a much faster rate. The sense of urgency here in Albuquerque is much different.

I was out of work for months in Sacto and within a few days of searching here in Albuquerque I landed a decent entry level job. Not nearly what I am use to earning or any where near the upper level management job I held for 15 years, but at least I have my foot in the door of a large corporation. I just had to keep an open mind to whatever I could get and keep a good attitude.

I'll take Albuquerque's single digit unemployment rate over California's double digit rate, anytime!

I know it is hard being in a new state and let's face it a new culture, but if you keep an open mind and a good attitude, you WILL find employment here. It may not be what you are wanting or expecting but if you are as good as you say you are, you will advance.

There's an ñ in mañana.

Nate in Albuquerque, New Mexico

22 months ago

Paige in Davis, California said: Yeah, they're big on DUI's. If you've been there any length of time and DRIVEN on their streets or their freeways, you can see WHY. As long as there's no DWI or DUI on your driving record in ANY state, you will be fine. What kind of advice is this, anyway, you can't have DUI's on your driving record in MOST states with no penalty! The "penalty" is that you can't get a job driving a company vehicle - you really shouldn't be driving any company vehicle if you're likely to get behind the wheel drunk. There's nothing "unreasonable" about this!

You see, in New Mexico, getting tanked up and getting behind the wheel and, oh, you know, smashing up your car and KILLING SOMEONE, is a BIG thing. You have a DUI anywhere, EVER, you shouldn't be driving a company vehicle anyway.

And it seems like it's working a little, but for the most part, the DWI Program isn't doing so good. I've seen people get busted for their 7th DUI (jonathanturley.org/2012/07/11/new-mexico-man-arrested-for-seventh-dwi-after-hitting-local-judge/) and even up to 18 and 19.

NewGal05 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

22 months ago

Paige in Davis, California said: Yeah, they're big on DUI's. If you've been there any length of time and DRIVEN on their streets or their freeways, you can see WHY. As long as there's no DWI or DUI on your driving record in ANY state, you will be fine. What kind of advice is this, anyway, you can't have DUI's on your driving record in MOST states with no penalty! The "penalty" is that you can't get a job driving a company vehicle - you really shouldn't be driving any company vehicle if you're likely to get behind the wheel drunk. There's nothing "unreasonable" about this!

Page,
your missing the point. I used to have a commercial license years ago but just didnt renew it. And when I was on the job, I did not even think of drinking on the job or before hand. My DUI was in my own personal vehicle and yes it was a mistake and lesson learned. I just wanted to warn others upon moving here to NM if they have a DUI previous to moving here. Even if your DUI is from 10 or 20 years ago, you still get punished again, which is sort of a Double Jeopardy ruling if you ask me. The MVD and the state are just doing their part pinching pockets! I would have fought it, but then the lawyers want a retainer of $3,000 to fight the case. Its a viscious circle!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.