Moving to Asheville - how did you get here?

Comments (51 to 100 of 154)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Boomer in Asheville, North Carolina

32 months ago

Everyone wants jobs. But at what cost and where does it end? Greed has no conscience. Yeah, you can "bet" the amusement park is a bad idea. I'm saddened it's happening. The tribal leaders, like leaders everywhere, struggle to find balance. Be aware of greedy leaders.

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

32 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Your right, most cities across this beautiful country do look the same now.

What do you guys mean by mountain people? Are we talking Deliverance?

By choice I have never watched Deliverance. But if it were written by someone in Hollywood I would take the stereotypes with a grain of salt.

Mountain people, in my mind, know how to live off the land. Losing electricity for a week during a snowstorm won't faze us--we're prepared. The history and traditions are rich. Not used to the transience and generic-ization that the rest of America has grown up on. Mountain folks' distrust of outsiders --when it exists --is a product of living in geographically secluded areas.

The isolation of Cherokee and Scotch-Irish migrants have resulted in a unique culture.

I'm an hour from Asheville, so my comments don't necessarily apply to the big city.

Glad you asked, Joe G.

32 months ago

Boomer in Asheville, North Carolina said: Everyone wants jobs. But at what cost and where does it end? Greed has no conscience. Yeah, you can "bet" the amusement park is a bad idea. I'm saddened it's happening. The tribal leaders, like leaders everywhere, struggle to find balance. Be aware of greedy leaders.

You're right. And earlier, when I was dumping on outside developers, I was momentarily forgetting what's happening in my own backyard.

While so many locals are struggling, the one percenters' economy is really booming. Still bulldozing land and building their vacation homes.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

32 months ago

Thank you for your answer.

I actually have a relative who has a Bed & Break down there.

What made Asheville very popular to outsiders was the fact that for a number of years it made the list of the "10 best places to live."

Have a good day and good luck in your job search/new business.

32 months ago

You're right. It also appears in most books on the best places to retire in the U.S. The top fifty places... The top 100 places... The Top places.. There's a reason for these accolades. And if the economy of Asheville could support a influx of all the people who chose to live here, it would have to transform itself to just another American city, with all the varied accoutrements from which the tourists are attempting to flee.

32 months ago

missmarymac in Rossville, Georgia said: I am an single 51-year-old woman thinking of moving to Asheville. I just heard good things about it. I work from home (telecommute), so finding a job isn't necessary. :). My question is, what is the best area to live in? I will be coming up there to visit in a few weeks.

So it's been a few months... did you relocate?

brn in Hendersonville, North Carolina

31 months ago

I have livedin asheville for forty years. I love the atmosphere of the mountains; butasheville is a city where if you don't know peoplein the job place where you are trying for placement, forget it. This is where the good old boy has the best jobs cause a friend putin a word for them. The born again Christians are also out to use GODs' Words to torment you. If you are not of their religious beliefs then they feel they have the right to give you hell and that means not hiring you, etc. I went to college and never placedin a good position because when my fellow employees found out my husband was black I would be let go because "I did not fitin". We bought land outside the city limits almost twenty years ago from an old black man, who wanted to see a young brother succeed. We would have moved long ago but an friend putin a good word for my husband at a state job and he got it. He was harrassed so much he had a nervouse breakdown bud continued to work, training every supervisor he had. He finally retired and I retired from ptsd and fibromyalgia. We only have our children and grandchildren as friends, stay to ourselves and don't getinvovledin local goings on; becauseAsheville has never really changed only gotten even more expensive.

bern in Miami, Florida

30 months ago

I was just in Ashville, and found this site as I was interested in relocating there. I'm not sure when we would go, and under what conditions we would be there. We live in Miami, FL and have been here for many years. I am a retired teacher and my husband still works, and is planning on doing so as he does not have much of a retirement cushion. Our home in Miami will be paid for next year, and maybe we should just try to buy a small house on the outskirts of town that we can rent out short term, and use a few times a year. I still don't know if that might be something we could afford to do, but it does bother me to read so many negative comments about a place that I would consider living in. The people posting didi not give a lot of specifics about their circumstances, and other facts that i could compare myself to.
I found Ashville to be a friendly and stimulating place on a small scale. I live in spread out huge Miami. There is discrimination everywhere so Ashville is not the only place that has it. I think it matters what people you surround yourself with. I am a jewelry artist so would be interested in all the arts happenings there. My husband is a part-time musician, but does not make his living in the arts. He would like to continue working not by choice, but by need. That is what bothers me about what I have read here about Ashville. He might not be able to find a job. As far as cost of living, Miami has become very expensive so I don't know what to compare it to. I just want to live near a town that I can come to for good resturants, and entertainment once in awhile. I felt a huge attraction to Ashville, but I don't want to invest everything only to be ready to leave after one year. It was strange, but 3 or 4 people that we spoke to there had come from the S. Florida area. How bad can it be especially for us who are not kids anymore?

30 months ago

Get rid of the husband and look into Tennessee.

What you really should do is look at living oversees...you would be surprised at how better the living is.

Asheville1 in Asheville, North Carolina

30 months ago

I too read the negative posts and noted a similar thread running through many. That is, the Field of Dreams mentality. "If I show up, they're will be a good paying job awaiting me, just like in the big city". While I'm sure this brilliant stategy and lack of due diligence works for some, it shouldn't come as a surprise that many land on their face, finding themselves in a semi remote mountain city without a job, money or a decent place to live. The absurdity continues when I read in some of the posts that they blame the city for their lack of success. Really? Hawaii, Lake Tahoe, tourist towns in Colorado, etc. are full of these hopeful dreamers. While raisig my two childlren, who are now adults, I took a vacation to Hawaii. I wanted to move there but it wasn't economically feasable. Many people with my level of mainland city income had followed their dream there only to find the job market reality was in a trade off. So they took jobs as cooks, bellman or tour guides failing to understand the need for their college educations in their new employment. There are some, albeit few, posts from natives who cannot find good paying jobs. Again, not unlike other tourist areas. I moved to Ashieville eighteen months ago after retiring in San Diego. I don't regret it and don't miss California. Before buying a home here, I thoroughly researched not only the various areass of the city, but outlying areas as well. Each area seems to have it's unique personality. For me, North Asheville was a good fit. I like easy access to shopping and downtown, as well as city services. Nearby UNCA has The Center for Creative Retirement (read about it online), and there is more volounteerism than I ever witnessed anywhere in California, including the Bay Area. I have immerced myself in the history of the area and very much enjoy the four mild seasons. People are courteous and polite. If and when I tire of this place, I'll be at a loss to find a better one.

brn in Hendersonville, North Carolina

30 months ago

Hugh X in Wilmington, Delaware said: Having read all of the comments. My company has offered me a promotion to Morganton NC which is near Asheville. I am a married black male and my wife would have to find work once we got there. So can someone honestly tell me if I need to pass on this promotion or should I try to look on the bright side and make it work

I am white and my husband is black. He is from Asheville and never wanted to move. We have been married forty years and it has been hell here. The prejudice, born again Christians are the worst. They feel they have the right to tell you WHAT THEY BELIEVE. I would never move to Morganton, its even worse. Ignorance runs rampid. You have to know or be related to someone to get a job. These people will smile at your face and stabb you in the back. BEWARE

30 months ago

Dipping into the moonshine tonight Vern?

brn in Asheville, North Carolina

30 months ago

No i don't drink but I do not like somebody tell me I should move because they did not like my comment.

30 months ago

For you people who are looking to move to Asheville this is one of those friendly people you have heard about

30 months ago

For you people who are looking to move to Asheville this is one of those friendly people you have heard about.

charger2 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

29 months ago

I moved to asheville from miami in 1979 with my mom- i finished high school there- i hated it for the first couple years but met friends and started to really enjoy it-at that time many people had neve seen the beach or been on a plane - very antisematic also-any jews there didn't say they were jewish - justthe way it was- then turned 21 yrs old and got extremely tired of stuck in the snow winters and very bored - so i moved back south and visit several times a yr- I continue to visit several times a year and appreciate it for what it is worth the people are for the most part the most friendliest- but high unemployment, homeless and prejudice- so if you are coming from a multiethnic diverse town - i suggest you rent first it may not be your cup of tea-music scene is great - many artists but unfortunately many starving my mom was an artist for 35 yrs and she had to leave the town to make a living - but she kept her home there because she loved the town- i prefer chunns cove, north asheville, beaverlake area- west ashevile was always called worst asheville- who would move anywhere on a whim is for sure just taking a chance any way-

JM in Candler, North Carolina

29 months ago

I will be moving from Asheville in a month. I am so happy!! I'm burying the wrong decision I made to move here. I understand there is good and bad everywhere you go. However, I dislike covert discrimination that is alive and well here. There is southern discrimination against northerners--absolutely! As mentioned by others here, the 'good ole boys' rule the nest. I have only been hired here by people from the North. In downtown Asheville, everything seems fine. Most people--waiters, storekeepers, etc are from the North. Venture out further in Candler, and you see pick ups with the confederate flag. When Southern whites are questioned about this, they say it is "Southern Pride:. When Southern Blacks are asked, they say it's racism. I've heard the 'n' word dropped so many times that i wonder if people know it is negative. When you wonder around downtown you wonder why isn't there more culture diversity. On every 50 ft. of square land you see new house being built to rent out at very high prices--almost as high as the Northeast, but the wage difference doesn't match. My parents were from the South, and perhaps it was that familiarity that attracted me. Then again, I also know they left the South for other reasons.

29 months ago

With the exception of the cost of living and the weather everyplace is the same. There are Joe Gagill's all over the USofA.

stayintruetosoul in Asheville, North Carolina

28 months ago

It once was a haven for activism and environmentalism. While it SELLS itself as such to outsiders, embarrassingly calling itself a "green city," it is anything but. The city transportation system around here lacks considerably. The infrastructure downtown can barely handle the amount of traffic and development that is handling there. The independent, intelligent and activist type is disappearing, giving way to a younger generation of consuming hipsters and drunks ... all bent on a good time, which the city feeds in order to take their money. I see and hear more incidences of the homeless getting beat up by drunk kids, but the visitors can do no wrong, it is the bum that gets the blame. Case in point, a woman hit and killed a homeless man a couple weeks ago ... dragging him under her car for four miles (I mean, what the hell?) It was raining out, and she thought she had a flat tire. The police chalked it up to it being dark out and the rain ... no involuntary manslaughter, nothing. Had the homeless man been "valued" by the community, this would have turned out differently

Matt in Chicago, Illinois

27 months ago

WOW very informative in a way. Interviewing for a very well paying job next week in Asheville. Dont like what I have read on this site. Chicago to Asheville-- the change--especially the racisim and overall biogtry---- with such an obviouss targeted focussly, sounds awful to live within. Obviously a city like Chicago has many issues and problems but a conversation about the ASH community seems to bring out alot of angst and tension. It is imporatant to note that. ... I am just some guy who lives somewhere else..... its too bad that different is defined as negative or threatening..... we'll see waht happens

3CK in Indianapolis, Indiana

27 months ago

Hello! We are considering a move to Asheville. This is a big move for us and financials are extremely tight.

Career - I have professional experience in higher education with a focus in multimedia, web design, web development, marketing...

Residency - Prefer home rental or rent-to-buy option.

Any feedback you have is greatly appreciated.

3CK in Indianapolis, Indiana

27 months ago

We are considering a move to Asheville.

Career - I have professional experience in higher education with a focus in multimedia, web design, web development, marketing etc.

27 months ago

Elana Santoro in Asheville, North Carolina said: Might I also add - my apologies for using the word "quickly". If you read that statement in the context I meant it -- it would have been much more clear if I had said "People with negatives will be more likely to post" (And I mean this in the best way - they often want the " buyer to beware" as I assume you do). I did not mean to imply anyone posted comments that were anything less than well thought out and/or well considered - including my own. Thank you for your perspective on my reply.

I dont think people with negatives are posting - they are just telling it like it is from their experience- I moved there to finish high school in the late 70's - we couldnt tell anyone we were jewish because of the prejusice - I am not sure they have a temple now - will have to check - the town was segregated -it has gotten better - but in a small way - we still have property and a house there because it is a great place - i love the mts. but it is small town and many of the people that live and grew up there- small minded it is just the way it is- if not for the transplants it would really be behind the times- so I do give them credit for that - over 30 yrs I saw people come to live their dream and open business- very few make it in this town because living wage is low low low- the only jobs are at the hospitals which have taken over- my mom could not find a good dr for the first 15 yrs so came to fla for her medical help- great place but I am glad people will write the negatives as well- instead of painting it such a pretty picture-

27 months ago

Matt in Chicago, Illinois said: WOW very informative in a way. Interviewing for a very well paying job next week in Asheville. Dont like what I have read on this site. Chicago to Asheville-- the change--especially the racisim and overall biogtry---- with such an obviouss targeted focussly, sounds awful to live within. Obviously a city like Chicago has many issues and problems but a conversation about the ASH community seems to bring out alot of angst and tension. It is imporatant to note that. ... I am just some guy who lives somewhere else..... its too bad that different is defined as negative or threatening..... we'll see waht happens

wow big change for you - I came from miami with all kind of diversity - great town but kind of slow - good luck

27 months ago

Boomer in Asheville, North Carolina said: Hey Mona,

Don't be alarmed. Asheville is a tourist area so it attracts dreamers who pack it all in and head for the hills without a real plan ignorant of due diligence. It happens in Hawaii, Sedona, Lake Tahoe, etc. Reality kicks them in the pants then they blame the place because they didn't do their homework. If you noticed the posts from these disenfranchised folks, they're leaving Asheville. It's unfortunate their dreams did not materialize, for whatever reason. Asheville is a dynamic, diverse and tolerant place. It is incredibly beautiful and this weekend, you'll see fall colors starting to emerge. Safe travels...

diverse and tolerant in small units- lived there for 8 yrs - family there for 30 yrs- still segregated very antisemetic

27 months ago

3CK in Indianapolis, Indiana said: We are considering a move to Asheville.

Career - I have professional experience in higher education with a focus in multimedia, web design, web development, marketing etc.

probably work at the college- great place for many- I always tell people about asheville try it for short term - not as diverse as they say- still small town mentality except for the transplants

Will Never Leave AVL in Asheville, North Carolina

27 months ago

I have visited AVL for 8 years before moving from NY to live here 2 years ago. Everything has exceed my expectatations. Worked in Manhattan, lived nearby, was somewhat concerned about a culture clash. Asheville is a blue dot in a red sea. Some comments about the rednecks are accurate for the towns outside Asheville like Candler. I live in North Asheville where Obama got about 65% of the vote. As you may know, the christian conservatives and right wingers won the statewide vote to make marriage only for a man/woman couple though Asheville had a slim majority against the measure. Large gay community which does stay in the shadows except maybe when in the outlying rural areas. - Downtown Asheville and close in surburbs tend to be open-minded,involved and friendly people. The rednecks in pickups mostly come from the more rural, less educated areas, just like everywhere else. There is also a sizeable conservative christian population (Billy Graham HQs in next town). You can eat in more fantantic restaurants than anywhere within several hundred miles. The Orange Peel was cited as one of the top 5 small music venues in the US( by the way, saw Elton John at Civic Center first week in AVL). Musicians, Artists and Creative people abound. The real estate is much cheaper than by NYC but many are surprised by how expensive it is (duh, people WANT to be here). Beautiful mountains with hiking, kayaking, cycling, etc.
- I work from home. Big employer is Healthcare Industry. Unemployment has dropped to 7.2%, best in western NC. Manufacturing is slowly coming back here. Obama is in AVL today (for 4th time) to tour Linamar plant which makes engines. Other jobs tend to tourism, not the best paying. Best way to succeed is start your own biz. The large influx of ppl from NY,Chi, LA, FLA has made AVL a vibrant stimulating city but you need to be more than average or have resources to truly succeed here. The anti-AVL complainers may not have what it takes.

Will Never Leave AVL in Asheville, North Carolina

27 months ago

Meant to say gay community does NOT stay in the shadows.

27 months ago

well said - I lived in beaverdam for a couple yrs before the developers came in and destroyed it - chunns cove will always be home - and you are right on the money anout being above average or have resources to truly succeed here- as far as comparing real estate from ny to asheville is like apples and oranges- of course living in sfla prices are always inflated - good luck it is a beautiful town

Importantfacts in Cary, North Carolina

27 months ago

As a former resident of Western North Carolina, I can tell you what's wrong with Asheville: Education! The local university, UNC-Asheville is very small and isn't allowed to grow. Instead of expanding and offering programs in technology, math and science, it is instead touted as some kind of public liberal arts school. That's the way the liberal administration want it and so the region suffers. (WCU is NOT in Asheville, BTW and has the same problem regarding tech/math/science). Asheville needs a medical school. Asheville needs an ENGINEERING school, etc. Only then, will an educated workforce attract more high tech, high paying jobs to Asheville and WNC. As it stands, the region suffers from "brain drain." Smart kids (and not so smart, but good enough), leave WNC to go to school and they never come back. Because 8-dollar-an-hour-Asheville offers nothing for them. And educated people like to live a certain lifestyle. That's why I live in the Triangle. Asheville couldn't PAY me to live there -literally.

SRWinNC in Asheville, North Carolina

27 months ago

I moved here just over a year ago but have lived in TN for a few years and originally most of my life in MD. My brother came here in '78 and his wife is from here. I first started to visit and decided I wanted to move here one day back then. They transferred out of state about 20 years ago but i decided to move here and give it a try. Have not found work yet and have removed my Master's degree from my resume and dumbed it down in hopes of finding a busywork job and meet/network with more people. I know of an engineer who had to remove his masters and engineering experience to get a waiter job at a fine dining restaurant but he was succesful from persistence. But i know people in other cities who had to do the same. As noted, much entry level work here is in the 7.50- 10.00/ hour range. You can visit Indeed, etc. and the Biltmore website to see what they pay people who flock to work for them. Most jobs listed are around 8.75 an hour and most are reserve or flex staff, meaning they lay you off a few weeks or more each year and don't pay you benefits. People work that way at biltmore for many, many years. Cause they are retired or in school or it's a second income. The president was here recently speaking at a new plant that hired 150 people. Sounds good until you realize the same plant hired over 250 a few years ago but then Volvo relocated to PA. The local paper printed a story coinciding with the Pres. visit stating that in the last decade the metro area's manufacturing jobs fell from 24,000 to 18,000. So AVL will need a lot of new plants to make up the 6,000 lost manuf. jobs. The same editorial also mentioned that in that same decade the number of children using some sort of assisted or free lunch program in buncombe has gone from 25 to 55%!!! This is nice area to live especially if you work in health care or one of the few other big companies. Housing, prop. taxes, vehicle inspections/taxes are expensive. It will take you time to break in like anywhere these days.

27 months ago

we moved to asheville from sfl because my mom fell in luv with the mts and area- I spent 8 yrs there and still come and go several times a year -As I can not make a living there_ I moved back to sfla- what caught my eye about your post is the fact that you remove your masters degree from your resume to try and obtain employment- I am a proud college graduate and If i had to remove that part of my resume to get a job I would seriously question what is of value to me - there are jobs there- unfortuneately it is a who you know town always has been unless you are in medical field which is the major employer there- - good luck to you! asheville is a great place

27 months ago

charger,
I concur with you. I worked pretty hard for my masters degree and got a very good gpa. I have other work experience and documentation in my portfolio that i am equally, or more proud of. it sticks in my craw to have leave them off an application just so I might even get an interview. This is 2013 and in spite of what the media or government says, the recession is still going on. Going to an interview showing how overqualified you are for a job has not proven very succesful for me or others I know. I think in these economic times in most places you go to that the world is very much a "who you know" world. Did you return to "sfl" because you already had business conections and knew people there? I could go back to MD and probably get a pretty good job...but I no longer wish to live there. For a long list of reasons. Therefore, to get my foot in the door, get a job, and possibly meet and network with people it has become neccessary to "hide my candle under a bushel". I was not endorsing the great employment opportunities in Asheville or many cities in the mountain south. I was merely illustrating the kind of things one might have to do to get a foot in the door in Asheville, or any new place they may wish to relocate to. If a good paying job using my education was my main driving motivation for living in this region i would go to Charlotte or Greenville SC. I agree with you, this is a tough job market to break into and if you really want to live here you will have to make sacrifices and probably need to re-invent yourself to do that.

27 months ago

SRWinNC in Asheville, North Carolina said: charger,
I concur with you. I worked pretty hard for my masters degree and got a very good gpa. I have other work experience and documentation in my portfolio that i am equally, or more proud of. it sticks in my craw to have leave them off an application just so I might even get an interview. This is 2013 and in spite of what the media or government says, the recession is still going on. Going to an interview showing how overqualified you are for a job has not proven very succesful for me or others I know. I think in these economic times in most places you go to that the world is very much a "who you know" world. Did you return to "sfl" because you already had business conections and knew people there? I could go back to MD and probably get a pretty good job...but I no longer wish to live there. For a long list of reasons. Therefore, to get my foot in the door, get a job, and possibly meet and network with people it has become neccessary to "hide my candle under a bushel". I was not endorsing the great employment opportunities in Asheville or many cities in the mountain south. I was merely illustrating the kind of things one might have to do to get a foot in the door in Asheville, or any new place they may wish to relocate to. If a good paying job using my education was my main driving motivation for living in this region i would go to Charlotte or Greenville SC. I agree with you, this is a tough job market to break into and if you really want to live here you will have to make sacrifices and probably need to re-invent yourself to do that.

I originally came from sfla and just knew I would have more opportunity there along with some family and friends- when I left asheville in the 80's main jobs were in factories which I knew I was not going to do and I knew grown men working for minimum wage to support their family - only when the hospitals came in did those fields grow-still has hidden discrimination

27 months ago

charger,
true, the economy is much better in other parts of the country. Not denying that. Don't blame you for going back to where you had connections. I could go other places and might find it easier to 'break in'. If finding a good paying job was my main goal I wouldn't be here, but at this stage in my life, it's not. I loved living in east TN near the smokies, gorgeous scenery, beautiful climate, and much cheaper to live in Johnson City than AVL but found it even harder to make connections. Nice people, don't get me wrong, but not as gregarious as folks are in AVL. May go back there someday when I decide to retire and want to live cheaply, but less opportunity there than in AVL. even finding a BS job like Lowe's or Home Depot there seemed to take familial or church affiliations. I have made more good business connections in under 12 months in AVL than I did in 4 years in Johnson City. I know I will work my way in here sooner than I would have in JC. My situation and stage in life is different than young folks coming out of college. Closer to retirement. If I was a young person starting out my career I wouldn't be any where near the mountain south.

27 months ago

SRWinNC in Asheville, North Carolina said: charger,
true, the economy is much better in other parts of the country. Not denying that. Don't blame you for going back to where you had connections. I could go other places and might find it easier to 'break in'. If finding a good paying job was my main goal I wouldn't be here, but at this stage in my life, it's not. I loved living in east TN near the smokies, gorgeous scenery, beautiful climate, and much cheaper to live in Johnson City than AVL but found it even harder to make connections. Nice people, don't get me wrong, but not as gregarious as folks are in AVL. May go back there someday when I decide to retire and want to live cheaply, but less opportunity there than in AVL. even finding a BS job like Lowe's or Home Depot there seemed to take familial or church affiliations. I have made more good business connections in under 12 months in AVL than I did in 4 years in Johnson City. I know I will work my way in here sooner than I would have in JC. My situation and stage in life is different than young folks coming out of college. Closer to retirement. If I was a young person starting out my career I wouldn't be any where near the mountain south.

I left when I was 21 yrs old - I am now 48- we have family property there so I will be retiring there - at least part time - it truly is a great town - and def more open minded than JC- just trying to bank a little more $$$ more before I take that plunge -I have friends there from high school that actually never left -most have had greatcareers and have made it- but many have money and/or have strong family connections- mind set is different than where I am from - I embrace both areas but financially the money is here at least for now- can't beat those mts. I know my life will be complete when I return-just do not want to worry about work being that it is minimal- good luck - keep me posted on your ventures- curious as to your field?

JM in Quincy, Massachusetts

27 months ago

...Best way to succeed is start your own biz. The large influx of ppl from NY,Chi, LA, FLA has made AVL a vibrant stimulating city but you need to be more than average or have resources to truly succeed here. The anti-AVL complainers may not have what it takes.

This makes it sound like a snobby place.

JM in Quincy, Massachusetts

27 months ago

3CK in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Hello! We are considering a move to Asheville. This is a big move for us and financials are extremely tight.

Career - I have professional experience in higher education with a focus in multimedia, web design , web development , marketing...

Before you move to Asheville, do your research first. Do not come before you actually have a job that pays well enough. Rent before you seek a rent-to-buy option. Spend about six months getting to know the town, and its neighborhoods. Only then should you reassess your feelings and lifestyle to make a permanent decision.

C in Asheville, North Carolina

25 months ago

JM in Quincy, Massachusetts said: ...Best way to succeed is start your own biz. The large influx of ppl from NY,Chi, LA, FLA has made AVL a vibrant stimulating city but you need to be more than average or have resources to truly succeed here. The anti-AVL complainers may not have what it takes.

Well I have been here over 20 years. Yep. Start a business, a small one. Bring lots of money in from the outside because not much circulates here. But that's the rub. Every winter will run your business down and every spring will seem like relief and before long you realize that bad has been continually redefined. So yes, brings lots of money. Or, lets put it this way: It (Asheville) doesn't become you, you become it. You will start as "more than average" only to have Asheville make you what IT is.

cinnc in Asheville, North Carolina

25 months ago

JM in Quincy, Massachusetts said: ...Best way to succeed is start your own biz. The large influx of ppl from NY,Chi, LA, FLA has made AVL a vibrant stimulating city but you need to be more than average or have resources to truly succeed here. The anti-AVL complainers may not have what it takes.

Well I have been here over 20 years. I have watched Asheville turn a leaf at least 10 times. Yep. Start a business, a small one. Bring lots of money in from the outside because not much circulates here. But that's the rub. Every winter will run your business down and every spring will seem like relief and before long you realize that bad has been continually redefined. So yes, brings lots of money. Or, lets put it this way: It (Asheville) doesn't become you, you become it. You will start as "more than average" only to have Asheville make you what IT is.

25 months ago

3CK in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Hello! We are considering a move to Asheville. This is a big move for us and financials are extremely tight.

Career - I have professional experience in higher education with a focus in multimedia, web design , web development , marketing...

Can I make a HUGE suggestion? Go to where it is warm, like Florida. There are too many unemployed in your field(s) here (the same can be said of so many others here for lack of commerce). When Asheville did their campaigning to attract growth they did it like the movie "Field of Dreams," in a psychosis of 'build it and they will come'. We have million-dollar loft apartments here, built back in the real estate boom that remain empty today. Asheville's history is littered with attempts to be something it will never be. I've been here over twenty years and have studied its' past. To enjoy Asheville, in any meaningful way, is to breeze in for awhile on your way to somewhere else.

25 months ago

Importantfacts in Cary, North Carolina said: As a former resident of Western North Carolina, I can tell you what's wrong with Asheville: Education ! The local university, UNC-Asheville is very small and isn't allowed to grow. Instead of expanding and offering programs in technology, math and science, it is instead touted as some kind of public liberal arts school. That's the way the liberal administration want it and so the region suffers. (WCU is NOT in Asheville, BTW and has the same problem regarding tech/math/science). Asheville needs a medical school. Asheville needs an ENGINEERING school, etc. Only then, will an educated workforce attract more high tech, high paying jobs to Asheville and WNC. As it stands, the region suffers from "brain drain." Smart kids (and not so smart, but good enough), leave WNC to go to school and they never come back. Because 8-dollar-an-hour-Asheville offers nothing for them. And educated people like to live a certain lifestyle. That's why I live in the Triangle. Asheville couldn't PAY me to live there -literally.

UNCA contributes very little to our communities or to Asheville in general. I can only suspect it writes its own PR. It functions, but for the sake of itself. I would call it a haven of 'continuing education' for retirees (it excels at that), or a boarding school for out-of-state private pay students. As for adding science programs to UNCA's academic offering there's very little point. Asheville remains an expansion of Roosevelt's TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority)for union-free (low wage) manufacturing despite the losses in manufacturing. In many ways Asheville is intolerant of education, that's why so many degreed job-seekers leave their education off their applications. On the other end of the job-market spectrum here is an ever growing State sanctioned monopoly in and of Mission-St.Joseph's Hospital(where everybody with the required registrations and certs apply).

25 months ago

cinnc in Asheville, North Carolina said: Can I make a HUGE suggestion? Go to where it is warm, like Florida. There are too many unemployed in your field(s) here (the same can be said of so many others here for lack of commerce). When Asheville did their campaigning to attract growth they did it like the movie "Field of Dreams," in a psychosis of 'build it and they will come'. We have million-dollar loft apartments here, built back in the real estate boom that remain empty today. Asheville's history is littered with attempts to be something it will never be. I've been here over twenty years and have studied its' past. To enjoy Asheville, in any meaningful way, is to breeze in for awhile on your way to somewhere else.

Asheville is a great place- but people need to check it out themselves beffore any long term move- I went to high school there moving from miami bch- headed back to fla at 21 yrs old- nothins much to do and eople were very antisemetic at that time- we still have property there as my mom live there for 34 yrs- BUT she could never make a living there- she was an artist and traveled many weekend a month to make money - I always suggest stay for amonth to see if its your cup of tea- no jobs and alot of homeless and unemployed there- previous post says it well! many loft apt. empty they really did think people would flock there- in a way I am glad they didnt :) enjoy it for it is a beautiful mt town - go with money because you are going to have a hard time making any there- overall the people are great but still ALOT of prejudice there-

25 months ago

you said it very well- I finished high school there after moving from miami bch with my mom - different kind of artsy music town - very hard to make a living there and everybody works at the hospital ugh- not putting them down - but my mom was misadiagnosed for over 10 yrs with cancer finally got diagnosed and treated at shands in gainesville fla- where they kept her alive for well over a 20 yr period with their advanced cancer centers- I am sure she would have passed many yrs earlier if she had attempted treatment in asheville as the progress there is VERY BEHIND - sorry to say- great sumers and fall is heaven beautiful place to live part time - overall people are great!

25 months ago

charger2 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: you said it very well- I finished high school there after moving from miami bch with my mom - different kind of artsy music town - very hard to make a living there and everybody works at the hospital ugh- not putting them down - but my mom was misadiagnosed for over 10 yrs with cancer finally got diagnosed and treated at shands in gainesville fla- where they kept her alive for well over a 20 yr period with their advanced cancer centers- I am sure she would have passed many yrs earlier if she had attempted treatment in asheville as the progress there is VERY BEHIND - sorry to say- great sumers and fall is heaven beautiful place to live part time - overall people are great!

Sorry to hear about your Mom, but yes unfortunately the level of care at Mission here has emphasized expense accounting and capital improvements instead. It is unfortunate, but the main goal at the hospital is "continuous improvement (efficiency) while increasing quality in patient care". That translates to less 'face time' between healthcare staff and patients (which has afforded the kinds of expansions that Mission has so far enjoyed). In between patients and staff are the computer screens to account for every activity.

Sue in San Francisco, California

25 months ago

I lived in Asheville for 13 years, and moving away was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I only stayed that long because I had been in two different long-term relationships. The wages there suck. Labor, white-collared or otherwise, is highly undervalued. If you're extremely lucky, you will find a boss that can and will pay you almost what you're worth (but don't expect insurance or good benefits). Most of the small businesses there simply can't afford to. Because Asheville relies heavily on tourism, the majority of an establishment's business is seasonal. So jobs pay minimum to low wage, and tip wages are seasonal as well. Non-steady business income -> low-paying wages -> less money for locals to spend in the local economy -> vicious cycle. Then, as people have mentioned, housing is sky high considering the low salaries due to rich people from other states moving there and saying, "Wow, $280K for a 1000 square-foot house? What a steal!" And up goes home values AND rent. The 25-year-old single mother bagging groceries at GreenLife lives paycheck to paycheck at best with no prospects because she can't afford higher education.

Then there's the lack of diversity. Yes, LACK of diversity. Don't believe any crap you hear about Asheville being diverse, unless you count the different types of white people there - the goths, the hippies, the yuppies, the retirees, and the hipsters - but they're all white. Per the 2000 census, almost 80% of Asheville is white. (Look it up on Wikipedia.) Those who claim racial/cultural diversity there are Caucasians who raised in Leave It to Beaver, white-bread homogenous upbringings who've never seen tattoos, nose-piercings or dreadlocks.

Then there's the people. OH, the people. They claim to be open-minded liberals. Yeah, they're liberal, which is fine, but they are not open-minded. If you drive an SUV, are a Christian, or eat Big Macs, they will either turn their noses at you, bully you or tease you, or all of the above.

25 months ago

(continued)

If you don't agree with their beliefs to a tee, you will be shunned. Political hypocrites and snobs, for sure. And for some reason they MUST politicize everything. I live in San Francisco now, a very liberal city, and I love the people here. They don't take every topic and politicize it. I guess people in Asheville do it because they like putting themselves on high horses and look down on everyone else who's "wrong." That's the only reason to have political discourse with people who agree with you, and there's lots of that in Asheville. This behavior breeds the elitist, holier-than-thou attitude that Asheville reeks of. Oh, and those people who are convinced Asheville is an open-minded place? That's only because they believe the same political rhetoric to begin with.

Asheville people, not so much the true locals, also think they're special. As my friend who lives there says, they "like to pat themselves on the back for being here." Yeah, that's about right. My friend moved there when it was a ghost town, so yes, she can say that. They also think there's no other better place in the world. Yes, seriously, they believe that. That just shows their incredible pretentiousness. No one can ever make that claim about anywhere. And they think what's good for them is good for everyone else. Ludicrous. Well, if they like low wages, high rent, and a dead job market, more power to them, but count me out.

So after two years of off and on depression because my life was going nowhere, I made the jump out of there. It was scary because at the least I was familiar with Asheville. I was unhappy with my last job there and started looking for something else in my field. Nada (except for $8/hr jobs) for 6 months. Then I was laid off. I knew I had to apply for jobs out of state, and here I am in a great career with a tech company with an international web product. I feel valued by my company, I love my co-workers, and I love the diversity and big-picture people.

25 months ago

(continued)

The thing to remember about Asheville is that it seems so great because there's nothing else around it besides podunk towns. If you want some city excitement or go to any sports games, big events or do some big shopping, you have to drive 3 hours to Atlanta.

Also, wages in Charlotte are about double those in Asheville for the same jobs, and the housing costs about the same. Something to think about.

25 months ago

There is a lot of the Big Fish in a Small Pond mentality around here. Not to mention blatant political corruption. The good things about this area are being quickly destroyed by developers. Some are locals but most are outsiders.

Unless you land a cushy job at UNC-A or WCU, the wages are horrible.

25 months ago

Sue, you'll probably get jumped on for writing what you did, mostly by the folks on the Asheville bandwagon who've moved here and drunk the Kool-Aid like you noted and think it's the best, most enlightened place on earth, but I've found there's an awful lot of truth to what you have written and it's kind of a circle jerk by a group of people who think they are the most liberal and enlightened people on the planet that like to pat themselves on the back and if you have different socio/political views then it's best not to discuss politics and keep those views hidden for the privacy of the voting booth. I've enjoyed living here for the most part but you can't find a living wage job without connections and it takes a lot of time to develop those, years in many cases, if you come from out of town so it will be a struggle to get by on what most employers pay until then. Starting you own business as others suggest is a good idea from what I have seen otherwise it's largely seasonal temp jobs and bartender/waitress jobs like any resort town. There's been a loss of over 6,000 manufacturing jobs in the last decade according to a Citizen Times article a few months back when the President was in town touting the 150 new jobs created by a company that moved into the old Volvo plant that took more and better paying jobs with it when it moved to PA. If you look at the two big areas about an hour away, Charlotte and Greenville, their economies are based on engineering/manufacturing/finance/IT and there is a "middle class" I call it, instead of the "haves/have nots" here in Asheville. Those jobs pay 5 to 10 dollars an hour more than what people are making at jobs here with similar stress and responsibility while their homes cost the same or maybe even less in some areas. Bringing those types of industries to Asheville should be Job One for the "powers that be" around here but many of them wouldn't like that as it would drive up the wages they would have to pay their employees too

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.