Hire a felon, please!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1176)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

eldorado in Atlanta, Georgia

68 months ago

Ramona in Atlanta, Georgia said: I can relate to you all. My felony conviction was in 1996. I'm in the process now of having my conviction expunged. I will also submit an application to have my conviction pardoned. I'm currently attending school for Bus. Admin. My goal is to go into business for myself. I plan on owning a sports bar on or before Jan. 01,2009. I currently have a small tax preparation business.(After being turned down by some many companies. I decided to go into business for my self). I have to write and speak my every move into existence. Man doesn't give 2nd chances.Man has to stay focused on our past mistakes to keep from focusing on his own mistakes. Therefore, I have decided to put all my trust in God. I always tell myself,"what man won't do, God will always do", without judgements or unforgiveness. My advice, t,o all allow yourselves to step out on faith and try God. God is bigger than any storm that you may go through. And, right now we all are in our own storm.
Have Faith in God

I am sorry to hear about your situation as I share a similar one
I Currently have a 28 yr. old non-violent felony conviction and also a 20 yr. old pardon from the state,I can almost assure you that a pardon is merely nothing more than a document that you keep for your own personal records.just a word of advice,but I do wish you the best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ccelaine25@aol.com

68 months ago

i think after so many years, some records disappear from your files. I renctly reported a felony and had a background check come back, clean. My felony is fourteen years old. This is like a blessing from God. The report checked where the admitted felony took place and no record was found. I wanted to share more detailes, but the website would not allow my presentation.

Well, anyway, I will stop reporting, my past record. This company ran a national background check on me and it came back negative. It stated that after 7-10 years negative information is no longer public view, and I neede to know this. What a blessing.

Ccelaine252aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ccelaine25@aol.com

68 months ago

Please excuse my typo's in my last post 1 minute ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

holmese33@yahoo.com in Columbia, South Carolina

68 months ago

hello everyone im 24yrs old with a non violent Felony and im having trouble finding a job the workforce program told me they wouldn't use the money given by the government on me because i was marketable since i have a BS degree... they said they only help non marketable people who want to learn a skill. i just graduated this pass may with a BS degree in computer science and have been on many interviews(even jobs that i over qualify for) and i have had no luck at all. can someone please email me with some help im so depressed.

Edward,
holmese33@yahoo.com

Ccelaine25@aol.com

68 months ago

Hello Edward,
Yes move to another state. Donald Trump stated on a talk show, and he said it's your on fault if you stay in a place where you can't progress. Move brother, try Dallas, Texas, I have a cousin there, who has an excellent career in Computer Science. She lives alone in a house that looks like a small apartment building, 5 bedrooms. Also try Houston, Texas, I have a cousin who moved there from here, and he said he has never regretted the move, he also has a felony, and he has been living in Houston for four years now, and he has been working, since he moved there making good money. I also used to live in Dallas, and Houston back in the early 80's. The job market is lucrative there, and always is.

Pack your bags and get going brother. I am thinking about going back myself, if I don't get employed real soon. I had an interview two weeks ago, and I have another one next week. The only thing I hate about Texas is that it gets so hot, and the travel time in the cities are disastrous to, and from work. "Go west young go west.

Consider, Washington D.C. as well, I just came back from the inaugural, the job market there is good too. I have a cousin and an aunt who moved there from Ks., and MO. years ago, they love it. The only bad thing is that it is crowded, and the cost of living is expensive, but the wages are comparable to the cost of living. Try living in Silver Springs, MD., or Bethesa, Virginia the cost of living is cheaper, smaller towns, 20 minutes from D.C.

There is a company in Kansas City, Mo. that find felons jobs, called "Beyond Conviction", and the staff are all ex-felons, they have a 2 week workshop, and will help you get placed in a job.
Several people I know of have been quite pleased with their services. They will be able to place you quicker, because you have a marketable skill. "Beyond Conviction" has a web site. Just type in the name and city and state. Options for change. Stay in shelters until employed.

C.Henr

Ccelaine25@aol.com

68 months ago

Edward,
Don't give up I have had several interviews myself, without landing the job. I am still trying, the only reason I still live in rural Oklahoma, is because I bought a nice home ten years ago. If I can get a job, I will be able to keep it, but right now I'm facing foreclosure.

Remember that the job market is very tight right now. Be persistent, and pray. I am planning to attend Bible Study at a local church here in my neighorhood tonight. I was having a private pity party, until I read your blog. We have to remain strong.

Hold out don't give up, help is on the way. You have to believe it, to receive it.

Charlotte Henry
Roland, Oklahoma
Ccelaine25@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ron in Decatur, Georgia

68 months ago

i'm from chicago been in georgia for two years. when i first moved here i got hired at dillards at primeter mall they dont do background checks. i got fired after being there for over A year. because my boss didnt like me any way the next job i got i changed my social security # around so that i could pass the back ground check. it works trust me . you want be able to file taxes but hell you'll have A job so good luck and trust you can pass the back ground check like this

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tangi in Tallahassee, Florida

68 months ago

How does one go about changing their ss# around? Do you just get a new one or what?

Debbie Niemeyer in Augusta, Georgia

68 months ago

I don't believe that may be legal [to change ssn]. I am expunging bogus charges against me from almost ten years ago. It takes three years and depending on the charges/convictions. I was honest with an employer after I found out that these charges were on my record, and it worked out for the best to my suprise.

By the way, about those charges, please subscribe to my youtube channel to see the latest vid that I made about wanting to go to Law School and my "checkered" past.

youtube.com/debisis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ccelaine25@aol.com

68 months ago

02/06/2009

I need your assistance in hosting my Organizing For America, party this weekend. I need comments from concerned citizens regarding the American economic crisis, we now face. I plan to host a party in my home Feburary 12th, 2009, to discuss how President Obama can create jobs, help families in foreclosure, etc.

I will be reporting at least 30 comments to Organizing For America headquarters. I have 16 comments from neighbors, family, friends, and random contacts. Your voice counts, and your opinion matters. Anyone interested in posting their major concerns, please reply, and I will submit your comments for review. Obama wants to know what your needs are. Please let know me if it is okay to use your name, and location of residence, when submitting your comments.

I will number concerns, and place names by each comment for public view. Your help is greatly appreciated. Check out the Obama for Change website to review reports. Thanks to you in advance for sharing your ideas, and concerns.

Sincerely,

Charlotte Henry Blaylock
Ccelaine25@aol.com
Roland, Oklahoma

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ccelaine25@aol.com

68 months ago

Those of you thinking about changing your SS#, shows an appareent lack of maturity, this is clearly "Stinking Thinking". This type of negative behavior is an example, of why some of us have prior felonies. Try to be more sensible and logical, and live a truthful life, which will be more fruitful. Have faith, don't be tempted to get caught up in criminal minded behaviors, look what it has already done for some of us.

Let's move forward, and use our heads for more than "hat racks". I went to the inauaguration, and on January 20th, while the event is taking place, my record is miraculously not found. A company did a national backgroung check on me, for an employer, back in December. Now, I don't even have to apply a second time, fora pardon, from the state of my offence. Living Proof; that God can move moutains. I feel so good, about this, I have been trying for years to get my name cleared. However, I am trying to do the right thing, as well.

Don't be tempted to distorted, cognitive thought processing, that will only cause you more regrets, in the future. Trust that eventually someone will hire you, you must be resilient, and humble.

Changing one's SS# is a Federal crime that may possibly land you in Fedral Prison, where they don't offer early release programs. I'd rather be unemployed, than locked down. Think about the consequences, if you get caught. You have a mind of your own, and you need to use it wisely.

"This counseling session is free just for you". (smile)!
"Have a wonderful blessed day".

Charlotte Henry
Ccelaine25@aol.com
Roland, Oklahoma

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Edward in Columbia, South Carolina

68 months ago

Wow that is great God is good! your story gives me hope and faith. im not gonna lie i get very discouraged and my mother tells me to have faith and how its not up to man. this i know but sometimes i get angry when she says that because i've been trying so hard and ive had no progress yet, but your story is so beautiful. im so happy! so how did you get an invite to the inauguration?

holmese33@yahoo.com

Ccelaine25@aol.com

68 months ago

ron in Decatur, Georgia said: i'm from chicago been in georgia for two years. when i first moved here i got hired at dillards at primeter mall they dont do background checks. i got fired after being there for over A year. because my boss didnt like me any way the next job i got i changed my social security # around so that i could pass the back ground check. it works trust me . you want be able to file taxes but hell you'll have A job so good luck and trust you can pass the back ground check like this

1/05/2009

Dear Ron,

Lets use our blog site to encourage others to better. Don't pass on negative behavior that may possibly land someone in jail.

Friendly reminder, the whole purpose of this forum is for second chances at proving, and improving our self worthiness, and credibitly.

Your negative information is one of the main reasons, ex-convicts and felons are told to disassociate themselves from other felons, while on probation, and parole. Do you really want a second chance in life? Have you not learned from prior mistakes, and how they have had a negative impact on your life?

2009, is the year for change. Try sharing more constructive, and positive ideas, it will make you feel better, and God will bless you, for it. "Just for you"!

Charlotte Henry
Ccelaine25@aol.com
Roland, Oklahoma

Ccelaine25@aol.com

68 months ago

Edward in Columbia, South Carolina said: Wow that is great God is good! your story gives me hope and faith. im not gonna lie i get very discouraged and my mother tells me to have faith and how its not up to man. this i know but sometimes i get angry when she says that because i've been trying so hard and ive had no progress yet, but your story is so beautiful. im so happy! so how did you get an invite to the inauguration?

holmese33@yahoo.com

1/05/2009

Holmes,

The answer to receiving my official Invitation to the 44th Presidential Inauguration, is persistence. I contacted my local & state representatives in a timely manner, and was repeatdly told 4,or 5 times, that they no longer had tickets. I have been a constant supporter for Obama's campaign from the beginning. Even as an unemployed Gratuate Student, I made small contributions to the campaign, at info@barackobama web-site. My contributions were small, but steady, and I also encouraged family members and friends to meet my plegdes. I joined their blog page submitted my concerns, and comments as I do on this forum web site.

I recieved thank you correspondent, from Obama and Michelle, personally, and their campaign manager as well. I have received picture post cards, from the President with his signature as well. I was planning to go to the inauguration anyway, this was my mother's 74th birthday present, to take her, also. My father's sister lives in Washington DC, and one of my cousins live in Silver Springs, MD. I also attended the annual Black Causus Meeting, there in October, of 2008.

I wrote the President, and asked for two tickets, I also wrote his campaign manager, and requested tickets. Time passed, and I had no response from either source. However, I continued showing my support, and receiving daily emails from the info@barackobama website. Two weeks prior, to the inauguaration, I received an formal invitation, in the mail. My invitation was a gift from God.

Precious in Bellmawr, New Jersey

68 months ago

AWESOME ANSWER!!!!!!!

IT IS ABOUT CHANGING YOUR LIFE TO STAY OUT OF TROUBLE

YOU CAN MINISTER TO PEOPLE IN SO MANY WAYS...... I HAVE READ YOUR POST MANY OF THEM AND THE POSITIVE FEED BACK HAS TOUCHED AND CHANGED MY LIFE.

GOD BLESS

chris in Albany, Georgia

68 months ago

I was convicted of 15 felony's 22 years ago. I have always had to fight for a good and well paying job but have always done well for myself and family. being confident and willing to look harder than everyone else will help u find good jobs and succeed. I once stayed on a job just because I didn't believe I would be able to obtain anything as good or god forbid better but I decided i deserved better and went for it and I must say I have been rewarded for my efforts and continue to prosper even in these hard times. Look outside the box stay legal and create your own importunity.

Good Luck
Chris

QUOTE who="David Thompson"]Somebody help. Everybody is talking about
the 2nd chance Act but nobody will even talk
to you with a felony. Company policy....

convicted for life in Rapid City, South Dakota

68 months ago

I really enjoy everyones post here.. I have had no problems gaining employment since my convictions but i really have't looked into a real career either all the jobs I have done have been in manufacturing (work really hard with little pay) and they don't even ask about it on apps.I just had the most woderful thing happen in my life and that was a little boy. I decided to quit the job I had at Perdue woodworks building furniture for 14 an hr and go back to school for something just haven't really figured out exactly what I should go for yet. As a young man I always wanted to be a lawyer but after dealing with them so many times on drug and dui charges I think that it just might not be for me. I have changed my ways so I know it can be done..Growing up I never got into any trouble at school or with the police it was when I turned 19 that the $%#& hit the fan.So if I cahnged into a criminal?? I guess I can change out of one. I am really trying to figure out what i can do with a felony conviction you know some say whatever you want but I have been on the net now for 3 days looking and reading post about how people can't find work even at wall mart so that really scares me.So any advise from someone thats been there would be appreciated..thanks mike

Bren in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

Ccelaine25@aol.com said: Sharon,

You are on the right track, try Pschology, there waivers for these jobs. You can get work in this field, but in order to make the big dollars, you will have to get a Master's Degree. It will be worth it. You are right, teaching, and nursing professions are not options for us. The Mental Health Field is growing and will continue to flourish, due to the stricken economy, soldiers coming home from the war, and suicide rates are higher, and with people facing drug problems. Psychology has 53 different branches in the field. Try it, you will like it. I love it. I was working on my teaching degree, and transfered to psychology, when I realized, I would not be able to teach.

I am not exactly sure, but if you get a Master's Degree you can teach on the college level, just grade school, or secondary, but still it all depends on your felony, and the state you live in.

When, I can't get a job, I reflect on my felony, other than that, I have a positive attitude, because I'm not a criminal, as for as I'm concerned, and I'm no longer embarassed, if asked about it, because that was 13 years ago, and I made mistakes, and used poor judgement, back then. We can't change our pasts, but we can prepare for better futures, and yes Education is helpful.

Just look at all the crooks, and criminals in high places. Most have better advantages because they are white. Things will be better.Live right and let God work it out you must have faith.

Charlotte Henry
Roland, Oklahoma

It's remarkable to see that I am not alone and doing something positive in society. Twenty years ago I committed a crime, I was involved in an Abusive Relationship and things became heated after consistently being abused, I finally fought back. Unfortunately for me after being abused and taking the law into my own hands I was the one who suffer. Since then I have raised a beautiful successful teenager who was 7 weeks old when I left. I have my AAS and BS

JRL3690 in Jefferson, Georgia

67 months ago

Wow, it is great to know my family is not the only ones who have this problem. My partner has a felony conviction that is now 19 years old. He has done his time, we have paid tens of thousands of dollars in fines, classes and probation. And he has never been in trouble since. He had such a hard time finding a decent job and then we were fortunate enough to find someone who gave him a second chance. He has worked in a manufacturing plant for over five six years and all has been great. Unfortunately they just announced that due to the economy his compnay (headquartered in Japan) is closing both of their US manufacturing facilities. So it looks as if we are back to square one, but now it will be even more difficult becuase there are so many people looking for jobs now that employers can be even more selective of canidates. I have contacted the GA dept of labor and that they can approve him to receive unemployment benifits while he is in school for training in another field. He wants to get a two year degree in the health field. Either as a registered respiratory therapist or in radiology. He can also get the HOPE scholarship (funded by the state lottery) and PELL Grant to pay for pretty much all of his schooling. However, what hospital or medical practice will hire someone with a felony conviction? I am talking to an attorney about our options next week. From the research I have done online Georgia does not "expunge" felonies. However you can apply for a pardon from the state board of parole and pardons if you can either prove that you were innocent of the crime that you were convicted of. They say that is very unlikely and it has only happened in Georgia 4 times before. OR you can request a pardon that does not imply innocence. For this it states that you must have served all of your sentence (time, probation, etc) and paid all fines and must have a clean record for five years there after. Check out www.pap.state.ga.us/opencms/opencms/

JRL3690 in Jefferson, Georgia

67 months ago

Has anyone been successfull at getting a pardon or expungment in Georgia?

slimjim in Atlanta, Georgia

67 months ago

I have a violent felony and even through its been 8 yrs since its been tough. I just got a job at Emory Healthcare and let them know from the beginning that i had this on my record. My point is this "get out of our own way and let god do his thing"

iHopeSo in Greensboro, North Carolina

67 months ago

Are you most likely to obtain a job in a different state other than the one you have a felony in? Like can I check No next to have you ever been convicted for a job in another state?

Ccelaine25@aol.com

67 months ago

iHopeSo in Greensboro, North Carolina said: Are you most likely to obtain a job in a different state other than the one you have a felony in? Like can I check No next to have you ever been convicted for a job in another state?

My cousin moved to Texas, and he said, first he told the truth, then he was not getting jobs. After, he established residency there, he started reporting no to the felony, he said most of the jobs did state check'sfor the jobs he applied for. My cousin is and has been working, ever since he moved to Texas. He says he makes a good salary, and he is glad he moved there. I just passed thru there this past weekend. I am considering moving there myself. The economy in Texas is still pretty good.

marcus in Perry, Georgia

67 months ago

I think its just stupid to punish someone for the rest of their lives as far as finding a job or anything no matter what crime you commit. People do make mistakes in life and you have the dumb people in the world who always saying he or she had their chance but they messed up. What people don't realize is that America suppose to be a second chance nation and we don't give second chances. Even though I don't condone being a repeat offender, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to make sure you and your family is okay. America deserves it when they can't forgive you for what happened back in the past. That's how I feel. Who are we as Americans to decide if someone should live the rest of their lives in sorrow because of mistakes they made in their past.

Ccelaine25@aol.com

67 months ago

03/12/2009

Marcus you made a valid point about being judged for the rest of of our lives, for past deeds, it does not make any sense, but that is how the system is set up, and it truly hurts a lot of black people, especially the men. Just keep trying and one of these days, something good will happen. Try to keep your current record clean. It's hard to do, when faced with no income, but resorting back to the old lifestyle, of crime will not be productive. Remember, it is better to be free than, to be locked up, or on probation, and or parole. I'm so broke right now, but I'm also, so free. (Food for thought). smile.

Ccelaine25@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cooley47 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

67 months ago

D Parker in Greenville, South Carolina said: Maybe you should seek out other felons that you know or know of and find out what they do for work. A lot depends on who you know. I am not a felon but I do know several who have to work odd jobs because of their past. Good luck.

David

technically its against the law for a felon to be around another felon..
Its sad that people make a mistake and pay for it the rest of there lives..
second chances don't exsist to 98% of employers...

C.J. in Palmdale, California

66 months ago

cooley47 in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: technically its against the law for a felon to be around another felon..
Its sad that people make a mistake and pay for it the rest of there lives..
second chances don't exsist to 98% of employers...

Cooley47,

Where did you get your facts from? I live in the California, where they have some of the strictest laws in the country, and it is not against the law to for felons to associate. Only if you are on parole, it may be deemed as a violation. But if you off of parole, you can associate with whomever you choose.

My story: I always tried to do what was right. I served in both the USMC and was a Captain and aviator in the USAF. Then I got a DUI. My career was terminated, I was basically encouraged to resign my commission, and leave with an honorable discharge. I was crestfallen and depressed, I dreamed of flying since I was a child and worked so hard to get where I was at.

In my mind, I was not an alcoholic, as I did not drink everyday. In fact, I would go a couple weeks without drinking, it was not like I was addicted to alcohol. The problem was, when I drank, I would get ants in my pants and want to see where the action was at.

I bought an airplane to fix my flying "jones" and flew almost every other day. Often, I would fly out to beach cities to party with my nephew and his friends. Well low and behold, I got another DUI, it was a wet wreckless, below the legal limit, but for all intents and purposes, it was counted almost as severely as a DUI. That is how chicken sh_t these cops are out here. On my motor cycle, I was doing 55mph in a 45mph zone and he pulled me over for speeding. I had three drinks about 2 hours prior(this is the absolute truth), he ran my license number(all cops out here have computers in their patrol cars) saw I had a prior DUI, and asked me to blow into his portable breathalyzer. I blew a .06, I thought I was good to go, (continued)

66 months ago

(Continuing my saga) as I was just about 500 yards from the small airport where I parked my plane at, I thought the cop would just give me ticket for speeding as I blew under the legal limit of .08. Well the C.H.P. officer, who are the most chicken sh_t of the chicken sh_t, decided to take me into breathe into the sheriff station's calibrated and more accurate machine(out here in California, the CHP often use the sheriff stations for booking and detaining subjects).

In the sheriff station, the deputies were nearby when I blew into the machine, low and behold, I blew a .06 and .05. The deputies could tell I looked sober when I walked into the place, that is why they were watching so closely. When I they saw what I blew in the machine, they said, "you aren't going to book that guy?". The CHP officer, in a sheepish manner, related that he was going to book me for a "wet reckless". One older deputy flat out told him that it was "chicken sh_t and he should let me go". Well as soon as I was booked in, and as soon as the CHP officer departed the station, the deputies let me call my wife to pick me up. While we were waiting for my wife to arrive, I was sitting in their break room eating a jail house sandwich and watching b.s.ing with them.

Ultimately, the FAA caught wind of the fact that I had the first DUI, some three years later, where they suspended my license until further notice. I had to mail my license and medical certificate back to them. Ultimately, I sold my airplane, as I no longer had my license and knew it would be some time before I got it back, if ever.

To make a long story short, I ultimately got a total of 4 DUIs and a wet reckless in a seven year period. As a result, with the 3rd, 4th, and 5th DUI, I did 90 days in L.A. County Jail(3rd), 200 days in Ventura County Work Furlough(4th & a felony), and on my fifth, I was sentenced to the state pen, for two years. I dd 13months, where half was in a half way house.
(continued)

66 months ago

(my saga, continued) The worst part of everything was being away from my wife and children. I really loved my family and it was terrible thinking about the grief and misery my wife and children must be suffering, as a result of my selfishness and lack of self control.

I was a high achiever, I worked my way through college, getting my bachelors degree while working 60hrs a week. I had been a Marine, who was the most outstanding Marine in the company, where I received two meritorious promotions and was recommended for Officer Candidate School(OCS). But as the USMC were slow to process my application to OCS, I contacted a USAF recruiter who set up an Air Force Officer Qualification Test(AFOQT). I just wanted to do decent on the test and was quite nervous. I scored in the 95 percentile of all who have taken the test, where all were college grads with 4 yr degrees. They immediately offered me flying slot, and set the wheels in motion to get me a transfer out of the USMC.

Fortunately, my First Sgt.(known as "top") ran the detachment where I was assigned. He liked me and treated me like a son, not a younger brother, but a son. Even the commanders of our Unit are of course officers, Top "B" called the shots. My transfer out of the USMC was approved and I was off to be an "Officer and Gentleman" and later a "fly boy" in the USAF. It was a fantasy, as I was going through training. More than half of the members in my flight training squadron had trouble and washed out For me it was not a problem, even though I partied hard every weekend and even during the week I partied.

I met a beautiful Canadian gal. She was and is the girl of my dreams. We married and at first, had a story book marriage. She had and still does, have a professional career and I was making decent money, including flight pay and per diem as a 1st Lt., then later as a Captain. We were socking away some serious dough. Money was my last consideration.

66 months ago

(the saga goes on)we had a little boy and it he was my little buddy. Life could not have been any better, especially for a kid who grew up in Pacoima, in a large family, where money was tight and my parents were completely tapped out physically and financially by the time I came around.

Well after my first DUI, I was in a death spiral. At some point, I wish I would have learned my lesson before it was too late. In a period of seven years, I went from a guy that was confident, admired by many, extroverted and happy, to a guy that has a fraction of his confidence, ashamed of himself, not as outgoing, and happy at times, but sometimes wonders when the pain of the shame will ever stop. There is hardly a day, that I don't think about how I let my children down.

I am a better man than when I was flying for the military, better than when I was responsible for safely flying and navigating a 40 million dollar aircraft on numerous mission around the United States and World, where half the time we were carrying a cargo hold full of troops or dependent passengers.

It has been 12 years since my last DUI and arrest. My record has been clean ever since I got popped in March of 1997, and I have been sober since. If I hadn't been sober, you can bet I would have been busted again. I did not get sober until I accepted that I was an alcoholic. I did not go to A.A. to get sober, God just put it in my brainpan, that getting drunk is not fun, and for me, it will lead to trouble. I don't want to lose my family.

I still have my family. My wife saw something in me, she stayed with me and she believes that her children should grow up with their father. Any other woman would have served me with divorce papers when I was sitting in county jail waiting to go to prison.

The recreation company, where I was a manager, closed down over a year ago. At first, I took some time off to work on some projects remodeling our house. (continued)

66 months ago

(short story made long continues)
I started looking for work about 9 months ago and also started taking classes to learn a skilled trade to enlarge my job search prospects. So far it has been an eye opener for me. I thought, felony or not, I have always been hired for every job I interviewed for, from production line worker to production supervisor and manager, to military aviator.

I have had a few interviews and was told on three occasions, that I was the best candidate they interviewed, all commented that they thought I may be overqualified for the position. They asked me how soon I would be available and said they would be calling me; mind you, these places did not ask about your arrest record. On two interviews, I was damn certain I would get the job. But to my dismay, I am still unemployed.

I never considered myself a "hero" for being in the military. But all these institutions and media refer to the members of the military as "heros". So in words of the political hacks and talking heads, I was a "hero". Well, this hero was shown no mercy by the courts and society, where my only crime was driving a little buzzed. The cops never once pulled me over for swerving or hitting another car or getting into an accident. They pulled me over because I was driving at 2:00 in the morning(my fault I know) and on two occasions, they watched me come out of a bar, where I saw them sitting down the street, where I took a short snooze in my car, woke up to see if they were gone, and when I started down the street, they came out from their new hiding place and lit me up.

Seriously, all I have is 5 simple DUIs, the public was not injured or damaged in any way. I was stupid for driving at 2:00 AM, but nobody was harmed by my driving nor would they have noticed. O.K. what I did was a "no-no", the biggest crime, I should have been home with my family. But is what I did so egregious, that my employment future should be destroyed.

66 months ago

(I promise, this is the last chapter) Freaking Sen. Teddy Kennedy drove off the Chappaquiddick Bridge, driving drunk from a party, where Mary Jo Kopechne died from either drowning or blunt force trauma. Teddy an excellent swimmer, swam away from the sinking car, made it to shore and walked to a friend's house, where he waited over ten hours to report that his car was in the bottom of the river. Oh yeah, his car was in the river with his now dead and pregnant girl on the side, Mary Jo. He waited 10 hours to report it to lower his blood alcohol level. He was a U.S. Congressman at the time. Of course the whole thing was whitewashed, just like the assassination of his two brothers; I guess since the feds murdered his two brothers and MLK, they owed him one.

We have one screwed up society when it is o.k. to kill someone in a DUI and rise to the peaks of the U.S. Senate, or get two DUIs like Cheney and become V.P.. But some simple schlock who gets 5 simple, low blood/alcohol DUIs over a 7 year period, where but for the DUIs, was a model citizen who served his country for over 10 years as both an enlisted Marine and USAF Officer, where this poor schlock is sent off to the joint, serves his time, does 3 yrs of parole without a hitch, and does not have anymore contact with the law for over 12 years, and despite all this, he is still branded with the new scarlet letter, the letter "F", for felon.

Ccelaine25@aol.com

66 months ago

03/21/2009

CJ: Your viewpoint on the new scarlet letter,(F)felon), is so sad, but so true. That old saying really rings true, that "LIFE AIN"T FAIR"! There is definitely a distinction between priviledged, and unpriviledged citizens.

Charlotte Henry
Ccelaine25@aol.com
Roland, OK.

marcus in Byron, Georgia

66 months ago

and who want a odd jobs, people should be hired based on knowledge and experience not denied because of a record. People here don't know that's the felons that keep this country going by working a factory jobs and dumb things like that. My thing was as long as I was in the military I was good, but I made a mistake in the service and they said F*** me.

FRedlinWetworksEntertainment in Orange, California

66 months ago

Wow, looks like a lot of folks in the same boat. Something to consider, while you will have to work harder than you ever have, outside sales generally provides the best rewards with minimal background information. For example, my company, Wetworks Entertainment is hiring for outside sales reps right now, and while we like everyone else prefer a clean record, we do not discriminate on the bases of past behavior (although we do take things on a case by case basis). If you have a suit, a cell phone and a positive attitude, perhaps you might want to send us a copy of your resume, along with a short message of what you were convicted of. We have 35 outside sales positions open. Might be worth looking into.
send your resumes to customerservice@wetworksentertainment.com, they will get forwarded to HR.

Matt in Lutz, Florida

66 months ago

I have a suggestion, instead of trying to work for someone else, work for yourself. I can help you start up your own home based business with very little upfront money. You will be your own boss with no one to tell you that you don't qualify because of your past. This is a business where anyone who wants to work hard can become a success. Everyone derserves a second chance and this may be just the one for you. Please e-mail me @ mg37@maximumsuccess.com and let me send you some info that might just change your life.

hope to hear from you soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

twogeezs29@yahoo.com in Marietta, Georgia

66 months ago

Deborah Barber in Atlanta, Georgia said: Momat King has a point about this felony issue. Since there are so many of you, why not band together and start a business that assist and employ felons. I would be more than happy to help organize this program. There are Federal funds available for programs like this. This project will need real people as proof that there is a need. This blog is a start. If you all are will to put your names in the hat, make a few steps and contribute a few dollars others will help and a non profit organization can be formed. Those that put their name in the hat will be given first opportunity for employment as paid employees. Essentially you must help yourself if you want others to help you.

Lets start with a call of action list.
Action ONE-send your brief story with you contact email and phone number. To Favor125@gmail.com

Action TWO-go to this website and order a pre-paid debit card for free. www.mynetsepndcard.com

Action THREE-Once you have received you Pre-Paid Debit card in the mail. Before you Activating the Card Email again to Favor125@gmail for your next Level of Call of Actions. You will need a Referral Code to be used during you Card Activation. Only email after action 1&2 has been completed. Please if you already have a Netspend card order another one just for this project.

I have great hope and faith for all of you and hope that you all have the Faith of a Mustard Seed.
Favor is upon your door step and opportunity has just knocked on your door. Open the door and allow the blessings to be bestowed upon you.

Sincerely,
Deborah Barber

Did u do this? I will be willing to help!

66 months ago

Deborah,
Let me know if you are still interested in starting this type of business in Georgia.
\Gina

sistaonthamove in sparta, Georgia

66 months ago

Tasha Smith in Illinois said: The site i've been working on to help Ex- Offenders re-enter the work force has been updated www.tashasmith.webs.com and I wanted to ask those of you seeking employment or would love to help me with this project to make sure you subscribe to the sites mailing list so we can keep you updated and you can assist us with any new resources. Thanks in advance

Yes i will assist as much as i can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Fort Worth, Texas

66 months ago

jayw in Dallas, Georgia said: if you want to do sells give me a shout

Jay w
worthymarketing@hotmail.com

Not to be rude, but you can't even spell "sales". You aren't able to spell a word for the position your hiring for...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kenneth Tucker in Midlothian, Virginia

66 months ago

In 1989, I pleaded guilty in Wake County Supreme Court, to 1 count of PWISD of Cocaine. I served 90 days in jail 3 years suspend sentence. I fully served the sentence imposed upon me for my conviction, had an exemplary disciplinary record while in jail and on probation, and has been living without incident in the community for more than 19 years. In that time, I graduated from college in 1992 with a B.S. in Recreation and served as Treasurer of the P.E.R.T. CLUB in 1991-92. Employed at a Company for 14 years, School District for 7 years, 1 year as Substitute Teacher and 6 years as Head Boys Track Coach. Volunteer with the PAL LEAGUE, Coached AAU Basketball and Track organization.
I recently moved to Virginia with my family. My purpose for moving is to start my own Sport organization and to be with my family. Because of the new laws and company’s policies I can’t provide for my family or coach. I’m a good person, that done a bad thing. I’m not a drug dealer. I’m a good father, good son, good brother and good coach.
There is 5,259,350 felon. What we need to do march on Washington DC. Let our face be seen and demand our freedom back. Cindy McCain was convicted of a ScheduleII drug charge. The prosecutor spared her family, but want to destroy my family. Our children have the right to have both of parents providing for them.
Our children needs to see us striving to be what we want to be.
We have the power 5,259,350 felon and growing everyday. WE NEED TO MARCH, MARCH, MARCH, CALL, MARCH, CALL, MAR..........CH. PUT YOUR FUTURE IN YOUR OWN HAND.

Tina in Cumming, Georgia

66 months ago

Yes I agree, March, March,March!!!!!!!

65 months ago

We need to march...how do we do it and when?
Gina

65 months ago

Look folks, marching is useless. What you need is to consider a company that does nto assume that your debts to society should be paid for the rest of your lives. Again, Wetworks is one of those companies, and we are hiring sales representatives NOW! Contact us at customerservice@wetworksentertainment.com and mention this thread in your message.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Durham, North Carolina

65 months ago

Not giving a convicted felon a chance to work and move on in life only contributes to more unemployment and more crime! I believe that the states should create more incentives for employers to hire convicted felons. I know that some programs exist. After all, it is the state who makes the laws and convicts people, so it should be some of their responsibility to keep society from turning it's back on convicted felons!

65 months ago

It is not up to the states. It is however up to the companies and the individuals within them to understand that discriminating against an applicant solely for the mistakes of the past is myopic and short sided.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alicia E in Jacksonville, Florida

65 months ago

Ccelaine25@aol.com said: 03/12/2009

Marcus you made a valid point about being judged for the rest of of our lives, for past deeds, it does not make any sense, but that is how the system is set up, and it truly hurts a lot of black people, especially the men. Just keep trying and one of these days, something good will happen. Try to keep your current record clean. It's hard to do, when faced with no income, but resorting back to the old lifestyle, of crime will not be productive. Remember, it is better to be free than, to be locked up, or on probation, and or parole. I'm so broke right now, but I'm also, so free. (Food for thought). smile.

Ccelaine25@aol.com

Hello all! I too am a convicted felon, but I did not let that stop me from making money and being successful in this society! I am an Independent Business Owner, and I make very good money out of the comfort of my home. No commuting, no bosses to tell me what to do....I am my own boss and I make all the rules. I am part of a 17 year old debt free company. We are the Nation's Premiere Health Programs Company and are looking for leaders. Customer service skills preferred, but no experience is necessary. Free training is available via telephone, Internet, and local training centers. Must have Internet access, and be willing to work with other team members. Part-time or full-time available. Daily pay with benefits, 401(k) options, and direct deposit available. If you are sick of being told "NO" because you are a convicted felon, visit my website and read more about this awesome company that is changing people's lives. www.freedomathometeam.com/aliciaeddings. If it sounds like something that you can see yourself doing, just click on the "Request an Interview" link and I will be in contact. Hope to hear from you soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marcus in Fitzgerald, Georgia

65 months ago

I am in the process of going to truck driving school and then starting my own business. I am gonna focus solely on hiring nothing but felons. Cause I believe as long as we got something to do we wouldn't have to result to a life of crime. We wouldn't go back to prison as long as we are generating an income to take care of our families. And for guys like Obama and all the state officials they can kiss where the sun don't shine.

Amber04 in Douglasville, Georgia

65 months ago

Hello all!!! I have been reading all of your comments and suggestions in a desperate search to help my husband. He has felonies that are over a decade old and he still has trouble finding a job. The last felony he got was at the age of 19. He was a stupid teenager that was making mistakes just like all of his other friends. His felonies are not violent ones or drug related, but that doesn't matter. I hate to say it but if you have any type of felony in the state of GA you are screwed. Your life might as well be over, unless of course you have loads of money at your disposal so that you can have them expunged, but that doesn't always work. Some employers still count them depending on what type of felony it is.

I agree with the fact that felons are considered trash when it comes to employment. They want these people to pay for the crimes that they commit, but what lawmakers do not and will not accept is that they are perpetuating the crime problem in this country because there are not enough programs to help people that made a few mistakes in their lives and are trying to make right. It is so unfair. Their should be limitations on how far back employers can go on background checks. Also I think that if the felon was placed on parole or in a half way house for more than a year after their incarceration they should be evaluated and certified as to whether or not they are reformed. I think that it should be a program that the court system and the lawmakers work together on. There has to be some way to keep these people from having to resort back to crime. It is a burden that is placed on the family as well as the offfender. And someone needs to wake up and realize that people CAN change and that no one is perfect, and EVERYONE deserves a chance to have a good life and be able to provide and support for their family.

slimjim in Atlanta, Georgia

65 months ago

I just want to say that if you hold on and let GOD do his job and get out of our own way things will work itself out. I beat someone with a bat which is in the eyes of some people is a no no, no matter the reason. I was giving a chance in a job with a big hospital in ATL out of 158 other people, with no hospital experience. So i know that GOD do love us and looks out for us. I feel as though as long as we play by his rules and live the life that he ask us to all will be well

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.