Newcomer's guide to Atlanta?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 173)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What do newcomers need to know to settle in and enjoy Atlanta? Car registration, pet laws, city services, more...

Reply - Report abuse

Troy James in Charlotte, North Carolina

86 months ago

I have been to the city of atlanta two years ago,but wanting to see more of it as well as know more of the city .So being a bartender will have me interact with people who knows a lot about the city.Iam a people and city person,so atlanta well be the city for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

now a resident of GA in Lawrenceville, Georgia

86 months ago

if you moving to atlanta here are a few things you need to know.

Traffic is terrible. 20 miles can easily take 1 1/2 hour depending on what area of atlanta.

make sure live close to your job or you will go nuts! my advice is to get an apartment first check out the area first, make sure you like it then buy a house later.

Atlanta has tax you pay on your car based on value when you register it every year in addition to the inspection. This due on you birthday every year. This tax can be high if you have a newer nicer car.. $600 plus. Which might be new to you- I'm orginally from ny we paid a set amount to register not based on the car.

You need a good car and you do ALOT OF DRIVING! so if you are leasing turn it in and buy because you will easy do 18-25k a year.

In many areas in Atlanta and surrounding towns you have to pay for garbage pick up (home owners)

It is a "Right to work state" which means they can fire you for little or no reason. No unions poor labor laws. Maxium unemployment benefit is $250 no matter how much you made before you were fired

Good paying jobs can be hard to find and you must be flexible with hours. (there are alot of low paying jobs) by the way, they are slow to respond to job requests/resumes

Cost of living is about the same but you can get a nice apartment or home for less but everything else is the same or more (you spend more on gas because you drive more, food is the same, clothing is the same,so it all equals out)

If you like hot weather atlanta has it. 70 or 80 degrees in november, dec and jan. Great

Roads have almost no pot holes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn in Worcester, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Hi:
Thank you for the very helpful info. I am considering a home in Acworth. Do you know anything about it. Is it in a good area and close to the major roads. Tahnks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Blarg in Kennesaw, Georgia

85 months ago

Carolyn in Worcester, Pennsylvania said: Hi:
Thank you for the very helpful info. I am considering a home in Acworth. Do you know anything about it. Is it in a good area and close to the major roads. Tahnks!!!

Hi Carolyn,

I've been in Atlanta since 2000. Personally, I can't wait to get out. We are located near Acworth, and TRAFFIC is a #1 reason for leaving - it is only getting worse due to uncontrolled massive development throughout.

As far as jobs, I have nothing good to say. Laid off 2001, impossible to get back into the field (above 60% unemployment in IT / Technical field(s)) - career ruined - DUE TO THE FACT IT IS NOTHING BUT AN EMPLOYERS' MARKET HERE. Get a full time job in 2006 (paying less than 1/2 of what I used to make), laid off (no reason, no idea it was coming) now looking for work.

It really depends on what type of work you are looking for. Sorry I can't offer anything positive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie

85 months ago

I,ve read all the comments, not one positive, I have been back and forth for the past 2 years. I build a house in South Fulton. Will be graduating as a PTA. Pyhsical therapist assistance. I was told that I would not have any problem findind a job. I need some feedback please, from anyone. thx. Jackie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jackie

85 months ago

now a resident of GA in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: if you moving to atlanta here are a few things you need to know.

Traffic is terrible. 20 miles can easily take 1 1/2 hour depending on what area of atlanta.

make sure live close to your job or you will go nuts! my advice is to get an apartment first check out the area first, make sure you like it then buy a house later.

Atlanta has tax you pay on your car based on value when you register it every year in addition to the inspection. This due on you birthday every year. This tax can be high if you have a newer nicer car.. $600 plus. Which might be new to you- I'm orginally from ny we paid a set amount to register not based on the car.

You need a good car and you do ALOT OF DRIVING! so if you are leasing turn it in and buy because you will easy do 18-25k a year.

In many areas in Atlanta and surrounding towns you have to pay for garbage pick up (home owners)

It is a "Right to work state" which means they can fire you for little or no reason. No unions poor labor laws. Maxium unemployment benefit is $250 no matter how much you made before you were fired

Good paying jobs can be hard to find and you must be flexible with hours. (there are alot of low paying jobs) by the way, they are slow to respond to job requests/resumes

Cost of living is about the same but you can get a nice apartment or home for less but everything else is the same or more (you spend more on gas because you drive more, food is the same, clothing is the same,so it all equals out)

If you like hot weather atlanta has it. 70 or 80 degrees in november, dec and jan. Great

Roads have almost no pot holes!

This is true for almost any where you go these days, You must have a profession to fall back on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Blarg in Kennesaw, Georgia said: Hi Carolyn,

I've been in Atlanta since 2000. Personally, I can't wait to get out. We are located near Acworth, and TRAFFIC is a #1 reason for leaving - it is only getting worse due to uncontrolled massive development throughout.

As far as jobs, I have nothing good to say. Laid off 2001, impossible to get back into the field (above 60% unemployment in IT / Technical field(s)) - career ruined - DUE TO THE FACT IT IS NOTHING BUT AN EMPLOYERS' MARKET HERE. Get a full time job in 2006 (paying less than 1/2 of what I used to make), laid off (no reason, no idea it was coming) now looking for work.

It really depends on what type of work you are looking for. Sorry I can't offer anything positive.

HI:
Thanks for you input. You sound like me in PA. I hate it here so much. Traffic here is also bad. Best wishes to you. I lived in Chicago 10 years ago and it is a really great place!!
I just can't deal with the cold weather at this time of my life. Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

BC Resources in Atlanta, Georgia said: Dear Carolyn,

I live just outside the ATL. I still fail to understand why this city attracts so many people from the north.
Jobs here are very hard to find, unless you know someone. Employers for the most part are very unprofessional, they can fire you for no reason. Traffic is very very bad. Its the good old boy network. Collage football is real real big here! If you did not go to a University down here, job hunting will be hard. Harvard may get you a mail room job :) Acworth is in the sticks. Social life....will be an eye opener..for someone from PA.

Hi:
Thanks for you input. I will be a Nurse Practitioner and my husband is in finance ( 2 Masters degrees). Are you saying you do not find the people friendly? I live in the Philadelphia area and the people here are so rude and hostile!! Oh and did I mention aggressive? Anyway, Best Wishes!!!
Carolyn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Roswell, Georgia

85 months ago

Carolyn,
I moved to Metro Atlanta from NYC 26 years ago. Yes, the traffic is now awful and it no longer feels like a southern city because of the tremendous influx of people from everywhere, but it is still a very nice place to live. Atlanta itself is not what you would expect of a big city, but the Metro area is very widespread with many different lifestyle choices. There are lots of entertainment options of every kind, many good restaurants,colleges and universities are quite good with some ranked in the top 50. Gulf or Atlantic beaches are both about 5 hours away. As a NP you will have no trouble finding work and there are a number of excellent hospitals here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

iesha in Las Vegas, Nevada

84 months ago

these comments are scaring the heck out of me because i plan to move to Atlanta from Las Vegas and I seem to be having trouble getting anyone to respond to my resume that I placed on line. I have visited several times and have enjoyed myself but if this is what i have to look forward to maybe Texas won't be so bas after all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kisha in Norfolk, Virginia

84 months ago

I've been to ATL several times and have enjoyed myself everytime however I have the concern of job placement. Currently I am a Head Teacher Coordinator and passed the Paraprofessional with a score of 474. Do you think I can find a job in the school system as a Teacher Assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

P. Smith in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

I recently moved to ATL - Riverdale section. I moved to ATL from New Jersey a city where is it impossible to own a home, too expensive and taxes are high. My concern is the job market. I have been scotting for approximately 2 weeks. Why is it that you apply for numerous positions and get no response. Do you think they prefer Georgians as oppose to outsiders?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

iesha in North Las Vegas, Nevada

84 months ago

it seems that way but maybe they will give you a better chance since you live in the city now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

P. Smith in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

iesha in Las Vegas, Nevada said: these comments are scaring the heck out of me because i plan to move to Atlanta from Las Vegas and I seem to be having trouble getting anyone to respond to my resume that I placed on line. I have visited several times and have enjoyed myself but if this is what i have to look forward to maybe Texas won't be so bas after all.

I have been in ATL from New Jersey for approximately a month now. I know you can't get a job in a week, but so far I have filled out over 20 applications on-line and no responses. I am an Administrative Assistant for well over 15 years and know that my qualifications meet these company requirements. I have completed numerous applications on-line and with Temp agencies. In NJ, you physically go into these Temp agencies and can obtain employment, here you have to fill out the application on line - they don't even want to see you. I also noticed here the majority of these companies want you to go on-line and complete their application or submit a resume and cover letter, they don't even want you to come into their office to complete anything. I would try to make sure I have a job first, unless you have money to live off of until you get a job. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Asalyn in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

All the posts about Atlanta are accurate. I moved to ATL with high expectations and was somewhat disappointed. Here is what I learned and I hope it will help you:

1. Some of the people here are phony. You think they are your friends and then all of a sudden, BAM, you find out they are not.

2. Unless you know someone that can get you into a specific company, finding a job is very difficult (I can only speak for the accounting/auditing field). Home Depot, Coca-Cola, UPS, Turner, and other Fortune 500's post bogus jobs to fulfill EOE requirements. YOU MUST NETWORK!! Some of the larger companies only fill positions through staffing/recruiting companies. Be wary of staffing companies here, unfortunately they are after your references and not willing to assist you with finding a job. There are 5,000 people that want the same position you want, you must stand out.

3. Live in an apartment first before you buy a home. I am so glad I did that because I had my heart set on a house in S. Fulton. and the traffic would have been horrific, and the noise from the nearby "busiest airport in the world" would have been icing on the cake.

4. As far as registering cars/license that's easy. Georgia splits up registration and licensing so you are not at the DMV for hours. You have to go to two different places, but at least you don't have to wait 2 hours. You have to get an emissions test and then you are on your way. Car insurance will eat you alive if you are not used to paying high insurance premiums. Same for renter's insurance. My insurance doubled.

5. Live close to the freeway as possible and try to live where you have some options (i.e. 85, 285, 400, surface roads or Marta I can use all of these as alternate routes). I live in Brookhaven off of Peachtree Rd. and it takes me about 8-10 minutes to get to 85 and it's only about 2-3 miles. With traffic it has taken 20 minutes to get to 85. Then once I am on 85, there is another 25 min. backup.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs Z in Lithonia, Georgia

84 months ago

What do newcomers need to know to settle in and enjoy Atlanta? Car registration, pet laws, city services, more...

I would highly recommend that you only come here with a job relocation. It's not like it was years ago where this was a city of opportunity. Or come here with credentials in a high-demand field like nursing, engineering, etc., in that way you can bounce back after being fired or laid off. Both my husband and I relocatd to Georgia with our jobs. The cost of living is definitely better.

I read the post about going through numerous layoffs, that's because companies here abuse the Georgia at-will employment laws. And even the big corp's operate like Mom and Pop shops, rather than their corporates in other cities. And the folks that have been here in jobs for a long time are so insecure and intimidated by "outsiders" (especially if you are more educated and credentialed), and they hate change. It will be some years before all of these people retire and filter out. Once that happens you will see a better corporate climate.

On a good note there is all kinds of entertainment and lots of things to do. You can go to sports events, plays, musicals, concerts, marathons, walkathons, all kinds of clubs to join, conventions, tourism, workshops, take classes, fishing, there are great restaurants all over . . . But Atlanta is not fitness-friendly there are not enough neighborhood parks and sidewalks. You will probably want to join a fitness center, because everybody is always cooking. Or get outside of the city and go hiking and biking. There are lakes up north if you are into boating . . . drought right now though.

We pay for all of our neighborhood services. Car registration$$$ depends on your car. Dogs, cats and pets are everywhere and where we live deer walk right into your front yard, just know that there is a leash law for your dogs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

iesha in Las Vegas, Nevada

84 months ago

what is at-will employment and how is it different from any other employment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sherry in Grand Blanc, Michigan

84 months ago

how hard is it for outsider to find a job in ATL ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pat in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

I arrived from NJ a couple of months ago and have been applying for over 40 positions and not one interview yet. I know with my background that I qualify for the positons, otherwise I would not have applied, but I have not received any replys yet. Can't quite figure out yet what the problem is. Is it the location from my home to where the job is? Is it my previous salary range does not compare to what they pay here or what? I mean there are a number of positions out there so what is the problem, I would like to know myself. So the answer to your question about outsiders jobs, yes it is hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

M Fairly in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

iesha in Las Vegas, Nevada said: these comments are scaring the heck out of me because i plan to move to Atlanta from Las Vegas and I seem to be having trouble getting anyone to respond to my resume that I placed on line. I have visited several times and have enjoyed myself but if this is what i have to look forward to maybe Texas won't be so bas after all.

Visiting Atlanta and moving to Atlanta is two different things. Yes, this is a great city for entertainment, but without a decent job it is horrible. I spoke with a man who moved from California to Georgia without a job.

He stated this has been the worse 9 months of his life. He stated he was in prison for three years and it does not compare to being in Georgia without his family, a job or any financially means to take care of himself.

Yes, it is that serious.

I am a property manager and leased a home to a tenant. They paid rent for 6 months in advance and have yet to find a job. They are currently out of money and have no financially means to pay their rent. They gave up career jobs in their former city, because they visited Atlanta and thought it would be a great place to live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

iesha in Las Vegas, Nevada said: what is at-will employment and how is it different from any other employment

At Will or Right to Work State. They can terminate your employment from any reason or no reason at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Kisha in Norfolk, Virginia said: I've been to ATL several times and have enjoyed myself everytime however I have the concern of job placement. Currently I am a Head Teacher Coordinator and passed the Paraprofessional with a score of 474. Do you think I can find a job in the school system as a Teacher Assistant.

Kisha,

Paraprofessionals do not make that much money in Atlanta ($8.00 - $11.00 an hour), unless you have additional income in your household, it would be hard to make ends meet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gwendolyn Smith in Stone Mountain, Georgia

83 months ago

Jackie said: I,ve read all the comments, not one positive, I have been back and forth for the past 2 years. I build a house in South Fulton. Will be graduating as a PTA. Pyhsical therapist assistance. I was told that I would not have any problem findind a job. I need some feedback please, from anyone. thx. Jackie

I have been back and forth for about 2 years. Yes, jobs are hard to come by and I have only had 3 prospectives since June. I officially moved to Atlanta in June. I am still looking for a job. I wouldn't give up. I am praying and relaxing. If you know the Lord he will guide you through this process. If this is where you want to be then don't expect people to support you. Support yourself. What good for one is not necessary good for the other. People preceive people differently. I am not going to give up. True we should have done the planning but we didn't so now deal with it. All things are possible if you believe. Don't pull the cart before the horse. It will work out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dickenson in Valdosta, Georgia

83 months ago

I am coming from Tampa, and I currently staying in Valdosta, Georgia for a period of one week on my way to Atlanta; after reading these posts, I think I am making an about face and turn right back to Tampa, Florida.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Dickenson in Valdosta, Georgia said: I am coming from Tampa, and I currently staying in Valdosta, Georgia for a period of one week on my way to Atlanta; after reading these posts, I think I am making an about face and turn right back to Tampa, Florida.

I moved to Atlanta, GA 14 years ago. I wanted to buy a house. While in Georgia, I meet my husband and we know own 8 investment properties. Atlanta has been good to me.

Moving to Atlanta was a great decision for me. It is a great city.

Mia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pat in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

My suggestion is NOT to come to ATL without a job. Housing is in abundance, job opportunity I find is NOT. If you move here make sure you are close to these areas, Downtown ATL, Buckhead, Norcross, Roswell areas, I see most job posted in these area, therefore you will not have to deal with over whelming traffic, which I have never seem in my entire life. I thought the traffic on the Garden State Park in New Jesey or the traffic in New York was bad, nothing compared to here. Other than that, ATL is OK, not great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

thank you for being honest living there and visiting there are two different things and i know that it will be a struggle to relocate. that is another reason i am still in Vegas. i know once i get there i will be by myself and i have to play my cards right if i wont to survive. my concern is this water drought that has the media in an uproar. is it to the point where they will be monitoring your usage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I haven't moved to Atlanta yet so i don't have a local telephone number. Is that bad when looking for jobs? do you think the companies think that i am not ready to break my ties from Vegas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I know the drought is a serious problem; however, I do not know if the media is blowing the situation out of proportion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

iesha in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: I haven't moved to Atlanta yet so i don't have a local telephone number. Is that bad when looking for jobs? do you think the companies think that i am not ready to break my ties from Vegas?

I would try a free local message phone number and maybe a UPS office box for the mailing address.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

the governor in Vegas states that if we don't do something about the drought here we are going to end up like Atlanta. that is why i asked cause she brought it up like the residents in Atlanta were under strict guidelines when it came to the water usage there

83 months ago

i just want to say thank you. you have been very helpful in more ways than you know

83 months ago

iesha in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: i just want to say thank you. you have been very helpful in more ways than you know

Not right now, but it is a serious concern.

Mia Fairly
www.onesourceatlanta.com
Property Manager

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brandon in Acworth, Georgia

82 months ago

A lot of what people say here is true: It's all about networking, traffic is a nightmare, live close to where you work, DO NOT come without a job (and make sure it's ironclad), the drought is not that big of a deal, Acworth IS up in the sticks and growing fast, it is always hot here, air quality (smog and pollen) downtown is awful, best prices on housing is out of town (then you're back to the hellish commute, of course), it is a good ol boy town, the people are friendly, it is very pretty here.

My stories: One friend of mine sent out HUNDREDS of resumes...no dice. Another got a job and moved, only to have it snatched out from under him. I personally went to an interview where over a thousand people applied.

If you have a solid job offer, move down here, get an apartment, then find a good place to live near your job.

I'm depressed again. I'm starting my own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pesmith0727@yahoo.com in Fairburn, Georgia

82 months ago

Well, when I told people that I was relocating to GA they said, Oh - you will do well in ALT and will like it very much - NOT. I have been here since October and have not been successful in obtaining employment. The only thing I see GA has going on for itself is homes/housing. Where I come from, NJ, you would spend $600,000 for a home that would cost you $230,000 or $300,000 here. The crime rate is high, as far as employment everything is done on-line. The position descriptions are so different. Why would an Administrative Assistant need a BA? Tell me that, and pay scale is $12 to $14 an hour. If I had a BA it would not be for as an AA. Some of the companies AA position description to me is similar to that of a Manager, just check out some of the descriptions. I have been an AA for over 20 years in the states of MA and NJ. AA means assisting a Manager, VP, or Director. Yes, some of the qualifications are similar to a Manager, but there is difference.

My advise - DO NO COME TO GA without a JOB! In addition, like a lot of people state, the traffic is horrible. I though New York was bad, it does not compare to here - I have never seen anything like it in my life, and to think people deal with this every day - HOW! Well, good luck, I am turning right around and going back to where I know I can obtain employment with a decent pay. As they state, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BLARG in Marietta, Georgia

82 months ago

Another rotten Atlanta employer update:

1. Apply for job that I am well qualified for
2. Employer calls 2 days later and leaves VM (this was over a week ago)
3. Over next 2 days, I leave 3 VM's for employer (always away from desk, in meeting, BS, BS)
4. Employer has never responded again.

This is a perfect example of how lousy employers are in Atlanta. I can deal with the "no response" thing, but for an employer to call me to discuss a position and then disappear off the face of the earth is truly disgusting and unprofessional.

Reported recently in newspaper. 7500 people show up at Walmart for 400 positions.

Don't come here looking for work... For you alleged IT professionals, many positions are now demanding Master's

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Var in Kennesaw, Georgia

82 months ago

It is definitely an employer's market in Atlanta. I have been fortunate enough to have had two very good offers since my search began in November. Ridiculous commutes are the norm here and I've been there, done that and am not doing it ever again. It becomes a quality of life issue - not worth the hours in frustrating traffic for a slightly higher salary.

I moved to the west coast for a while and was Stunned by the minimal requirements for positions! I'm not sure why, but in Atlanta it seems like you have to have a masters degree and 10 years experience to do anything. Like many others, I received a college education courtesy of the Hope Scholarship. This probably has something to do with it.

My search is starting to wear on me, but I am trying to stay optimistic. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Poupie in Atlanta, Georgia

82 months ago

Hello all. I just found this forum and I feel a little consoled by the fact that it is not just me. I have a BA from an accredited university in VA, and a few experiences. I moved to ATL in End of May '07. After a month and a half or so I found a job I thought was decent enough only to find out later on that it is the job from hell. Employees are abused and not paid nearly enough which led me to quit thinking I can probably find a better job. A couple more months passed, no luck; so I started working at a mall just so I can pay my bills. And till this day I still haven't found anything. I must have applied to a couple hundred positions. NOTHING. I'm running out on $$ and have no idea what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Sometimes, you may want to use your work experience as a possible consultant or turn it into entrepreneurship. Atlanta is very taxing and financially draining. I have been in Atlanta for 14 years; I have been through great employment markets and the worst market for unemployment. Hang in there. Have you joined any network boards or blogs, beside indeed? Maybe, someone is in the same field and could give you a referral.

I had a request to market a duplex and while inspecting the duplex, there was a homeless lady staying their. Articulate, 36 years old, graduated from college and could not find a job.

I went on a network board, explained her situation, and someone gave a free place to stay, cell phone and a job. Atlanta, does have great people, we just need to network and get outside our everyday circle of friends.

Good Luck
www.onesourceatlanta.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Poupie in Atlanta, Georgia

82 months ago

Wow. Not everyone gives a lending hand. She is lucky she met you. What network boards do you suggest? I would greatly appreciate any tips. Thank you so much for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PJ in Silver Spring, Maryland

81 months ago

If you haven't find any employment yet, try going to an employment agency, staffing or recruiting firm. There are plenty of them in ATL. This will not only help you get your foot in the door but it will also give you the experience you need.

thepastrychef64 in Louisville, Kentucky

81 months ago

Now I'm scared!!! I'm planning to move to Atlanta in June, and so far no job...I'm a chef, with 15+ years experience...are you telling me I can't find work there???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Z in Stone Mountain, Georgia

81 months ago

A chef that's wonderful! However before moving here I would recommend that you do your homework/research first and start networking with folks that know folks in your field and the decision-makers that hire chefs. It's SO competitive here and employers are SO slow . . .as I've stated before what brought us here was my husband's job, so that helped. I doubt that we would have relocated otherwise.

I H in Lawrenceville, Georgia

81 months ago

Kisha in Norfolk, Virginia said: I've been to ATL several times and have enjoyed myself everytime however I have the concern of job placement. Currently I am a Head Teacher Coordinator and passed the Paraprofessional with a score of 474. Do you think I can find a job in the school system as a Teacher Assistant.

Parapros are in great demand in Gwinnett County (and probably other counties). If you're interested in Special Ed, there are always openings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Toms River, New Jersey

81 months ago

As I stated before, do not move to ATL without a JOB. I had been in ATL for 4 months without a job and no prospects of even getting a job. I returned to NJ do to lack of finances, and within a 2 weeks got work temping for an agency while I search for full time employment, but at least I am making money, whereas in GA I could not even do that.

GOOD LUCK! If I were you, if you are not having problems with Va or your job, stay put, just visit ATL when you get opportunities, the grass is not always greener on the other side, believe me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dickenson in Tampa, Florida

80 months ago

In early December 2007, I was moving to Atlanta from Tampa; I was supposed to stay at intown suites in atlanta; I have a MBA in finance, and I heard that Atlanta has a number of 500 fortune companies and until now, it's still in the top five cities for such jobs, but lucky for me I made a stop in Valdosta; there I discovered this forum; I made a u turn and come right back to Tampa; now I am working at USF. I can't advise you to the same, for you already there so you have to make a more realistic move. The only thing I can suggest is check services like Careerbuilder Monster Yahoo jobs and don't limit yourself to Atlanta in an order world make a nationwide search; If you like education it would be a lot easier because State like New York Austin Texas Fort Worth Texas Florida are recruiting right for next fall and they help you get your certification after you are hired. I lost my comma I hope you can understand it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Toms River, New Jersey

80 months ago

I am glad you saw the light before you made the move to ATL. That was a good decision, and I wish you best in Houston. Something is just not right there. I can image all the people who are considering the move to ATL and companies seeing how many people are relocating there, they are probably getting tire of resume from people out of state. The only thing that draws people to ATL is the housing market and the night life, which is not all that. The houses that are being built are being made as cheap as possible, if you have ever been through any of the complexes they are building all around. I am happy that I made the return to NJ. Continued luck and don't look back, you made the right decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

I.M. in Humble, Texas

80 months ago

thanks and best wishes to you as well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

frances rodney in Yonkers, New York

80 months ago

WELL AFTER READING ALL THESE COMMENTS, I DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE MOVING TO ATLANTA ANYMORE. HAD NO IDEA IT WAS SO DIFFICULT FINDING EMPLOYMENT IN ATLANTA. WHAT ABOUT FLORIDA? ANYONE HAS ANY ADVISE? WILL BE GRAD FROM OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY SCHOOL IN MAY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.