Newcomer's guide to Atlanta?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 173 of 173)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

Shelly in Atlanta, Georgia

25 months ago

Trust me, it is expensive to live here especially when your commuting to the neighborhood stores. There are no sidewalks! Drivers turn anywhere and everywhere dont be a victim! The weather has been Londoner for most to the time during the winter months...have your trolley (umbrella)ready! Pothole lookout for Buckhead! good luck! and make sure you have a bag money because your going to need it until you find that wonderful job to NOWHERE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Jackie said: I,ve read all the comments, not one positive, I have been back and forth for the past 2 years. I build a house in South Fulton. Will be graduating as a PTA. Pyhsical therapist assistance. I was told that I would not have any problem findind a job. I need some feedback please, from anyone. thx. Jackie

Unless, you have a job waiting and a letter confirming your salary....woops don't forget the right-to-work law. Old boys school dogs best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Carolyn in Worcester, Pennsylvania said: Hi:
Thanks for you input. I will be a Nurse Practitioner and my husband is in finance ( 2 Masters degrees). Are you saying you do not find the people friendly? I live in the Philadelphia area and the people here are so rude and hostile!! Oh and did I mention aggressive? Anyway, Best Wishes!!!
Carolyn

from philly myself (NE Cottman Ave)have a finance degree good luck with being a sales rep jobs here are fake and full of backdoor workers. Yes, I am very intellectual and people find my friendliness too Northern as I have been told to dumb it down! Welcome to hickville. But don't let me stop you, I just wish I had someone to tell me this. Would of went elsewhere. peace and blessings!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TJ

25 months ago

Undecided in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts said: Hello - I am even more undecided about the possibility of moving to Georgia after reading this forum. We are THINKING of moving to the Atlanta area. A well paying job for my husband would already be in place. The concern is employment for myself. We are looking at living in outside areas (ie Peachtree City , Fayetteville, Marietta, Kennesaw, Smyrna etc.) Is it just as difficult to find jobs in these towns as well? I have a strong office administration background but am willing to work hard at just about anything. Long story short, if it will be next to impossible for me to find a job then we won't move. Any input or info on areas close to Atlanta that would have jobs would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Just an FYI, We moved here from NY in August 2012, I have a masters in Healthcare administration and I just found a job in January 2013....And I was out after me being out there almost every day handing out resumes. I am still not making the money that I should be making with my degree...Here it is ALL ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW...NOT WHAT YOU KNOW.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SDubya in Thomaston, Georgia

25 months ago

TJ said: reply

Just an FYI, We moved here from NY in August 2012, I have a masters in Healthcare administration and I just found a job in January 2013....And I was out after me being out there almost every day handing out resumes. I am still not making the money that I should be making with my degree...Here it is ALL ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW...NOT WHAT YOU KNOW.......

Seems to be accurate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Undecided in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

25 months ago

TJ said: reply

Thanks - that is helpful! Other than the employemtn factor, do you like it there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jay Paper in Fayetteville, North Carolina

21 months ago

Yall got me messed up a little bit. The negative you all talking about happens everywhere. I am also looking for a job in the trucking/warehouse field of Atlanta. It's all about having a have a FALL BACK JOB. Anything can happen no matter how comfortable you feel in you current job. From the celebrities (who have more the 1 hustle most the time) to the middle age guy working 3 jobs. You always have to have more than just 1 job just in case you get fire, laid off for whatever reason or the place shut down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ivan in Santa Fe, New Mexico

17 months ago

I've been thinking about starting fresh in ATL, however, after reading this thread, I think I may stay where I'm at and enjoy Atlanta as a tourist.

Unlike many people on this post, I do not have a degree of any sort, and I have a family of 4. I fell in love with the people, and overall friendliness that I experienced while visiting Atlanta to watch a Falcons game. I thought it would be an awesome place to raise a family, and enjoy the endless possibilities for entertainment.

When I really started looking into finding an actual job that would pay similar to my current position($14-$18/hr.), I gotta be honest, it scared me. It's quite scary thinking that there are literally thousands of people applying for one position, and that you could be fired for little to no reason at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Yonkers, New York

16 months ago

I don't know what to say after reading All the post. Iam planning to move to Roswell, GA in the next year and after reading these post -- I am speechless and learned from these post to do EXTENSIVE RESEARCH before I move. I noticed that there were two post asking employment for MSW'S (Master of Social Work), and nobody answered the question. My field is case management at a Health Insurance company presently. I am concerned if I will be able to find a job in human services in GA. Iam working on a MSW now, but still would like to know the prospects and salaries of people who work for not for profit organizations or any area of human services. Can someone please assist or direct me to a job agency that specializes in careers in any area of human services? Thank you.

Nikki in Yonkers, New York

16 months ago

Also, what is a head hunter ? And how can you contact one? Do you have to pay a fee for the service?

NewJerseyGuy in Riverdale, Georgia

16 months ago

I'm glad I found this thread. Now I don't feel alone. Same story here. Moved from New Jersey 1.5 years ago (funny I've meant alot and seen alot of ppl from New Jersey down here) Purchased a house. Been looking for work. Haven't found anything. I'm more than qualified. A matter fact, anyone with a college education is qualified for these low paying jobs down here. Had 2 employers call up, only phone interviews. But no job. Angry and frustrated. When I was in NJ....for years I would hear how great ATL is. ATL is a big disappointment. ATL is overrated. The poor and middle class do not share in the progress and fruits ATL has to offer. Traffic, jobs, egos all bad down here. I come to realize ATL is really a tourist town. Its only good if you have job or big money down here. And nobody wants to admit it, but I still sense a 'segregationist' mentality down here. I'm now on my Plan H (Plan A - G all failed) Just had another phone interview. Waiting to see what happens. If I don't get this job I may have to sell the house and move back to NJ before I completely run out of $$$. Also researching Houston, TX. Sad, because I really liked this house. Only thing I found positive is less crime and nice temps. oppose to New Jersey crime and cold winters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SDubya in Dacula, Georgia

16 months ago

Jersey Guy, your perceptions are correct. GA is only good if you transfer here, bring your money with you or are a native. The natives are tight knit and only look out for themselves unless of course they happen to take a liking to you. They do not like outsiders and appear to be less accepting of us Northerners. Hate to say it but moving to another state is your best bet. I've been living here for over one year and still no full time job. I've even been put through 3 interviews for a part time job I didn't get and was called back one month later only to be told I didn't get it! It's ridiculous down here. I know if I were back in NJ I'd be working by now. I too have a college degree with experience and currently work part time in retail because someone liked me and told their boss to hire me. Sorry it didn't work out as planned but remain optimistic. All the best to you!

SDubya in Dacula, Georgia

16 months ago

Nikki in Yonkers, New York said: I don't know what to say after reading All the post. Iam planning to move to Roswell, GA in the next year and after reading these post -- I am speechless and learned from these post to do EXTENSIVE RESEARCH before I move. I noticed that there were two post asking employment for MSW'S (Master of Social Work), and nobody answered the question. My field is case management at a Health Insurance company presently. I am concerned if I will be able to find a job in human services in GA. Iam working on a MSW now, but still would like to know the prospects and salaries of people who work for not for profit organizations or any area of human services. Can someone please assist or direct me to a job agency that specializes in careers in any area of human services? Thank you.

Don't come here unless you have something lined up and it's in writing. There's a big issue with DFCS and they plan to expand the budget. You may find work with that agency or try the VA.

squirrelonfire in Atlanta, Georgia

16 months ago

Riverdale in GA sucks, get outta there. And no it is not true that GA does not like northerners. It is illogical to say that. Some people like you, some people don't. Do understand that if you are black or white, you will see a significant advantage on where you apply for a job. I suppose in the North, this racial differences is at minimum, where as in GA, it is either yes or no, no neutrality here.
GA is not a tech city so your tech credentials matter a lot. Most of the techs in this city are dolts and so if you have very high end credentials, you will definitely get a great job. But say if you have like an A+ and a bachelor degree, blah that's thousands of other idiots have the same credentials as you. Try a master and MCSA or MCSE or CCNA. This is a situational generalization because GA doesn't have a lot of tech jobs, they tend to hire only the best candidates. Where as say like CA, average credentials would just get you an easy tech job.

eagerengineer in Los Angeles, California

15 months ago

And here I am thinking that Atlanta has greener pastures than Los Angeles for IT professionals. This forum might have just saved my life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

beerisgood07 in Port Chester, New York

13 months ago

What would you say the ration of Georgia natives vs northern transplants is?

80/20 ga natives?

hotnerd in Charlotte, North Carolina

12 months ago

I will be moving to Atl at the end of the month. I was offer a job at one of their many hospitals. I will take my chances because you never know unless you try and plus anything is better then NC this place isnt that good for blacks or gay ppl. So, wish me luck

Bob in LaGrange,Ga in Lagrange, Georgia

10 months ago

Ok folks, Here are my recommendations.
Do not move here until you are receiving your retirement/pension, This way you are in total control of your livelyhood and the G.O'L.B. network can't dictate your very existence.
Pay cash for a good bank owned home, All you will have is a city bill, property taxes are dirt cheap.
If you come here looking for a great paying job..good luck to you, When high paying jobs are posted on job agency sites I was told by locals that job agency workers will contact family members and close friends and hook them up first, You will be offered the crumbs.

Serenity in Yonkers, New York

10 months ago

Are there any recent updates regarding job growth in Atlanta. Most of the post are old--maybe there has been a turnaround. My career experience is in human services, I hope I can find a job paying at least 35,000. Relocating, to Roswell GA, many post state not to move to ATL, but NY is horrendous, the rents are staggering, you make good money but the quality of living sucks. No where to park, raggedy apartments no upgrades, to go swimming you have to pay for a park pass to enter any pool or beach. Unless your in a certain income bracket with good credit you will never own a home. And if you do by the time you pay heat, gas, electric, property tax, school tax...your financially done. If you live in an apt you might not have an elevator, you still have to drag cart down steps to laundry or go to a laundry mat, no closet space, the list goes on and on. Many are willing to sacrifice a smaller salary but raise the quality of living elsewhere.

Serenity in Yonkers, New York

10 months ago

NewJerseyGuy in Riverdale, Georgia said: I'm glad I found this thread. Now I don't feel alone. Same story here. Moved from New Jersey 1.5 years ago (funny I've meant alot and seen alot of ppl from New Jersey down here) Purchased a house. Been looking for work. Haven't found anything. I'm more than qualified. A matter fact, anyone with a college education is qualified for these low paying jobs down here. Had 2 employers call up, only phone interviews. But no job. Angry and frustrated. When I was in NJ....for years I would hear how great ATL is. ATL is a big disappointment. ATL is overrated. The poor and middle class do not share in the progress and fruits ATL has to offer. Traffic, jobs, egos all bad down here. I come to realize ATL is really a tourist town. Its only good if you have job or big money down here. And nobody wants to admit it, but I still sense a 'segregationist' mentality down here. I'm now on my Plan H (Plan A - G all failed) Just had another phone interview. Waiting to see what happens. If I don't get this job I may have to sell the house and move back to NJ before I completely run out of $$$. Also researching Houston, TX. Sad, because I really liked this house. Only thing I found positive is less crime and nice temps. oppose to New Jersey crime and cold winters.

WOW! INTERESTING I KNOW SO MANY PEOPLE THAT MOVED DOWN THERE AND THEY LOVE IT, IT WAS A STRUGGLE AT FIRST BUT IT WORKED ITS WAY OUT FOR THE BETTER.

Dee in Newberry, South Carolina

10 months ago

iesha in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: thank you for being honest living there and visiting there are two different things and i know that it will be a struggle to relocate. that is another reason i am still in Vegas. i know once i get there i will be by myself and i have to play my cards right if i wont to survive. my concern is this water drought that has the media in an uproar. is it to the point where they will be monitoring your usage

Hello, I'm also relocating from Las Vegas and hoping to move to Atlanta by August, im willing to take a chance and see what happens, all the negative comments are a little scary but you'll never know if you don't try. Hit me up and let's talk, maybe we can be roomates! Lol.

JulissaParis in Houston, Texas

10 months ago

Complete Atlanta guide www.atlanta.net/

Jen in Ashtabula, Ohio

9 months ago

Reading this thread will definitely terrify anyone from moving to Atlanta. I am planning to move there this fall. I went to check some things out this spring and met alot of nice people who were Atlanta natives. I have alot of family there who are Northern transplants from Ohio and have been in the A for over 20 years. I also have friends who are native to Georgia that I met in college that are back in the A too. So, maybe I'm biased. The biggest thing that I noticed on this thread is that people seem to be moving there with lofty ideas on the job market. Coming from Ohio, which is also an "At will" state, I know how the game goes and when you know how to play, you can be better prepared. I guess that's why my Ohio family that's moved there has faired so well. The good ol' boys club exists in Cleveland and Columbus. I've lived in both cities and what's kept me alive job wise is having a good attitude and keeping an open mind and open eyes/ears. I have noticed that it's mainly East coast people are putting up the negative posts. I've met quite a few East coast people who have had a hard time in Ohio too. I love the East coast (especially Philly) but y'all can't keep it real everywhere you go. Especially in the south and the midwest (which is really just a northern version of the south.) I have to agree with Jay Paper. The days of relying on one job is over. You have to have multiple streams of income. Fortunately, I'm in the health field and my job is national, meaning that I can transfer anywhere in the U.S. And it's great paying. So, I don't have to worry about making less money when I move to Georgia. But I'm not going with just this job. I have other streams of income coming in just in case things don't work out. In the end, it's all about the survival of the fittest. Those who are quick on their feet and their minds will find a way to come out on top.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.