Want to move from Illinois to Atlanta

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 130 of 130)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

jerry in Odenton, Maryland

31 months ago

catika1974 in Calumet City, Illinois said: I am a 34 year old woman who want to start all over! I need a job in atlanta before I leave

Are you cute, come to Maryland live with me for a while...it will be interesting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ready for new life in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

I too am considering moving to ATL like so many others. I am a nurse, been looking for a job but having hard time (makes me wonder if there is really a nursing shortage in ATL!!) seems as though I need to know somebody, which is scary, this is HEALTHCARE we are tslking about, I am very qualified in my field and have the experience in my field, but can't get a job in ATL, what's going on with the hospitals there and the recruiters??? Any insight or advice welcomed. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dob in Fayetteville, Georgia

30 months ago

Shannon in Atlanta, Georgia said: Please don't move to Atlanta. I hate it here and am looking to move away as soon as I get the money. Very hard to find a job. The traffic is horrendous. People are unfriendly; won't even look at you when you walk by. The weather is sooo hot, humid and miserable in the summer. Cold in the winter, but no snow ever. If you are a single female, it is very hard to date. The men are dirt ugly. There is really nothing to do entertainment-wise. I recently went to Chicago and cried for a whole week when I got back from that beautiful, fabulous city only to come back to this awful mess.

I grew up in NY, been to chicago many times and I have been in Atlanta for 20 years.. No way in the world would I trade Atlanta for chicago... that place is a hell hole, very cold and becoming more expensive by the minute... you can have that stinky midwest dump...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

dob in Fayetteville, Georgia

30 months ago

Color Laser in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hello everyone, I have lived in ATL my whole life, mostly in Fulton County. Atlanta has a little something for most people. I'm in my 20's and live within the city limits of Atlanta, GA. Atlanta is a huge and i mean huge, metro area. If someone lives outside the city limits, they are not really in ATL. ITs amazes me that people who are used to living in other major ciites, move to metro areas of ATL and think that it will be bustling and vibrant. THis is NOT THE CASE.

If your looking for culture, hip, trendy, cosmo, entertainment et cetera then make sure you move to East ATlanta Village, Midtown, Downtown, Buckhead. There are singles & families here. If you move outside the city, of course there will be less stuff to do and more FAMILIES. Cost of living is from $650-$1200 for apartments intown.

I consider myself a open and tolerant person so I dont mind people who are totally different from me for the most part. I would like a change and have been kinda playing with the idea of moving.

If anyone has any questions, maybe i can answer.

I think you have the most accurate take on Atlanta so far around here...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patty Smith in Sacramento, California

29 months ago

It's really confusing for someone like me, who also came to visit atlanta, and liked it when I arrived there. I did not want to go back home. My two children, and I came to visit ATL in 2010, we stayed in Gwinnett county at the residence inn for a week, and we loved it. We came up there for a family member's graduation, and I most definitely had my own transportation to move around . For me as the plane was approaching the airport, I liked the beautiful trees we saw, and I also liked the courtesy that the people shared with my kids and I at the airport. I too am planning to move there very very soon, like this summer. Perhaps June, or July of 2012. I do not have a job lined up, but I have some money saved up to make the move, and was hoping to find a job once I get there. I will have my house lined up so all I have to do is move in the house, but the job transfer is not on the menu. So from reading some of the posts, is that if I don't have my a job to transfer, my own husband, I am in trouble. So what you all are saying don't come empty handed because I will be looking like a fooool? Because I was really coming to seek a change for my family and I. Thank god I have one of the criterias, I do have a man, but the job we both are looking to gain some kind of stability in ATL. So I should really do my research, and or consider staying where I am at until things get better on the employment side of the spectrum RIGHT?
Thank you all for the post, it has been very informative good, and bad. I think the posts has helped me to get an idea of the pros and cons of the city, and what people who been there for a while, as well as those people who has been there for a short time feel about the city.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ren in Atl

29 months ago

Patty Smith in Sacramento, California said: Thank god I have one of the criterias, I do have a man, but the job we both are looking to gain some kind of stability in ATL. So I should really do my research, and or consider staying where I am at until things get better on the employment side of the spectrum RIGHT?

There are no jobs here. You need to figure out a plan as to what you will do when your savings run out and you still can't find work. Georgia's job recovery lags behind many other parts of the country. There are so many people out of work here. Having a degree won't make much difference. Georgia's job market isn't expected to fully recover until 2020. Google it. If you can live off your saving until 2020 then good for you.

What spawned Georgia's growth of the last couple of decades is people moving here for the cheaper housing. However, Georgia's job market did not support that level of growth. You can't base an economy on housing alone when there's no business/job growth. Also it's expensive and the jobs that are here pay very low, even if you have a degree. Too many people moving here like it's the promised land but not enough jobs. I've lived here for 15 years and I'm so ready to leave this place.

I don't get why people want to come here so bad. There's nothing here!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

nlove in Atlanta, Georgia

29 months ago

Onuska in Norcross, Georgia said: I hate this place from many aspects

me too!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Georgia Realtor Brandi Callum in Covington, Georgia

29 months ago

jeffsm in Atlanta, Georgia said: I can't figure out why everyone wants to move here. Unless you have a degree in a specialized field or special skills, forget it. The cost of living here is not that cheap anymore, & the only jobs available are very low paying service jobs. Cities are pretty much the same no matter what state you live in. There's nothing special about living here no matter what people tell you. Even temps services aren't hiring, & some offices are closing. Too many workers & not enough jobs. Your'e better off staying where you are, at least you know your way around there.

When I hear people Atlanta Bashing, I cringe and wonder who they are and what terrible experiences they must have had. Atlanta is an absolutely beautiful city with a rich history and an great neighborhoods, awesome - totally awesome fine dining establishments, beautiful parks and great people from all over the world.

I would say - before you move, contact a Realtor to help you have a smoother transitions. Think of your lifestyle in your current home and what you like and what you don't like and ask the Realtor to help you find the right home or apartment home. Regarding Jobs - there are so many opportunities here and the houses are so low the buyers are having a ball. Atlanta is ready for you..So, come on Home to Lovely Atlanta Georgia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ren in Atl

29 months ago

For those who say that there are job opportunities here, I guess the hundreds of thousands of Georgians who either can't find work or are underemployed, along with all of those economists and financial experts who say that Georgia is lagging behind the rest of the country in job replacement and isn't going to recover all the jobs lost since 2007 for another 10 years are lying and don't know what they are talking about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Moved out of ATL in San Diego, California

29 months ago

Ren in Atl said: There are no jobs here. You need to figure out a plan as to what you will do when your savings run out and you still can't find work. Georgia's job recovery lags behind many other parts of the country. There are so many people out of work here. Having a degree won't make much difference. Georgia's job market isn't expected to fully recover until 2020. Google it. If you can live off your saving until 2020 then good for you.

What spawned Georgia's growth of the last couple of decades is people moving here for the cheaper housing. However, Georgia's job market did not support that level of growth. You can't base an economy on housing alone when there's no business/job growth. Also it's expensive and the jobs that are here pay very low, even if you have a degree. Too many people moving here like it's the promised land but not enough jobs. I've lived here for 15 years and I'm so ready to leave this place.

I don't get why people want to come here so bad. There's nothing here!

Ren,
Great job by stating the TRUE FACTS!!!!!
I moved out of ATL last year to west coast and I LOVE IT here.
I was living in ATL for over 15 year but I got tired of the single life and tired of 2 faced people. I am excited to be around open minded people and positive environment unlike GA people who are very much backward and they don't hire you for job based on your career achievements, education, skills but they will hire you based on your race and who you know and NOT what you know.....so much for equal opportunity employment....
I encourage to move away while you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ren in Atl

29 months ago

Moved out of ATL in San Diego, California said: Ren,
Great job by stating the TRUE FACTS!!!!!
I moved out of ATL last year to west coast and I LOVE IT here.
I was living in ATL for over 15 year but I got tired of the single life and tired of 2 faced people. I am excited to be around open minded people and positive environment unlike GA people who are very much backward and they don't hire you for job based on your career achievements, education, skills but they will hire you based on your race and who you know and NOT what you know.....so much for equal opportunity employment....
I encourage to move away while you can.

San Diego,

Congratulations and good luck with your new life! Everything you are saying is true.

What kind of work do you do? What is your education/job background? Did you find a job in CA before you went there? How are the salaries there these days? My mom lived in San Diego for many years but moved to GA for the affordable housing; but now she wants to leave here. She doesn't like GA either. I used to want to live in San Diego but the cards life dealt me put me here and I've been trying my best to find my way out of here. I'd love to hear more about your experiences in CA.

I'd been considering either the Northeast Coast, the West Coast, or moving back to my hometown of Chicago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CC in Rex, Georgia

29 months ago

I have to agree with Ren because he did state true facts. Born and raised in Georgia. Lived in Atlanta for about 4 years now. I moved here in September 2008 from Savannah, GA. From Sept 2008 to February 2009, I literally, sent out over 300 resumes, and that is just online. I have been to 150 employers searching for work and that does not include the resumes I have sent by mail. I came here with nothing and I was trying to start over. Out of the 150 places I have been to and all of the people whom I have spoken with, I only had 5 interviews, that inlcudes, phone and one on one interviews. First job I finally came across, with the help of my cousin, was *drumroll please* Arby's. I was desparate for work, I was living with my grandparents and I needed something coming in to help pay bills and care for myself. Second job I landed in 2011 was *wait for it* Kohl's. I am about to have my second child, just got married, and I am definitely feeling the urgency to make a serious career change, not just for me, but for my family. Brandi Callum, I understand you dislike how people feel about Atlanta, it is a beautiful place, rich in entertainment and history. I know you are a realtor and you work/live in Atlanta so you have to sell, sell, sell Atlanta but facts are, Atlanta's beauty and entertainment doesn't pay my bills, not even a portion of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

CC in Rex, Georgia

29 months ago

And I've been to dozens of job fairs. More schools than jobs, then when you get there, you still have to go home and apply online. So, what was the point in going?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ronnique Garner in Florissant, Missouri

20 months ago

catika1974 in Calumet City, Illinois said: I am a 34 year old woman who want to start all over! I need a job in atlanta before I leave

I'm moving to Atl too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GaSuperRealtor in Covington, Georgia

20 months ago

I am listening to some of the terrible comments about my beautiful city and I am quiet surprised. I do not know about the job market because I am self employed. As a Real Estate Broker, my livelihood depends on working Families wanting to move into homes. They all have to have jobs. The houses are selling so fast here I have to be a SuperRealtor to catch a deal. That means, people are working on jobs or paying cash and able to purchase these homes. You can find me on youtube and follow the path to my website to search for homes.

For your spiritual life, there are Many lovely places to Worship and fellowship with believers of your faith.

Atlanta's things to do is include the lovely Georgia Aquarium, Six Flags over Georgia Stone Mountain Park are a few for family adventure. For nightlife - go to google and pull up the overhead view of Lennox, Buckhead,Roswell and downtown Atlanta just to name a few of things to do and places to go.

Atlanta is ripe and ready and full of opportunities for purpose driven people.
Start by making some good positive connections. I believe one would have to start with inner beauty, a smile and a positive friendly attitude. Remember the song or words when you smile, the whole world smiles at you. At least it will make you feel good.

All the best on your decision. I hope this helps.
Ga Super Realtor
BC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

someone in Savannah, Georgia

18 months ago

I am from Georgia. My take on Atlanta is that it is one of the most intolerant, pretentious places I have ever lived. The entire region (southeast) is corrupt and degraded in all areas of life, including education, the environment and overall quality of life. As a single man places like Atlanta leave little to be desired. I believe that Atlanta and other low towns like Savannah are wonderful places for women, rednecks, rightwing expatriates and lesbians. There are many opportunities for people who fall into those categories. There are no jobs and those that do exist are reserved for white people and women.

Crime is a big issue in cities and towns like Savannah and Atlanta. Those who are thinking individuals are not immune to observing blatant economic disparities between blacks and whites. With Black males existing at the absolute bottom in everything, by design. This breeds crime as a culture of almost absolute hopelessness exists in black communities. Much of the industry and wealth in the area is built on tourism, construction and of course the wonderful real estate industry. All of which are lead by women. What is worse is that these pseudo 'wealthy' people truly believe that by owning a low-end BMW and taking an occasional holiday to London somehow elevates them to the height of class and culture. Indeed these are the same racist ignorant trailer park rednecks who have always ruled in the south. But following the introduction of new skool redneck tv culture, ei, Hannah Montana.. etc. These people feel absolute in their power now and truly believe that they along with their crappy towns somehow rank with cultural centers like Paris, New York and others. It is an insanity that you will find very common, especially in Atlanta/savannah. A place that barely ranks as a major city often considers itself the same as New York City. Racism is rampant in the south and is an obsession for most people, yet is unspoken at the same time. The schools here are low.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

someone in Savannah, Georgia

18 months ago

Realtor folk are the maggots of Savannah and Atlanta. They are absolutely racist in their effort to gentrify and carve up, mostly black communities. For the export of blacks out of the city proper to benefit the whites who are arriving in from the north. As a result of their inability to afford housing up there. Though this act is often disguised in the form of a phony interest in the south. These northerners who prefer the south tend to be your more rightwing variety from Jersey and Boston, etc. Who have no problems with racism and almost pre 1980's south african levels of economic inequality and segregation. These folk are also followed by their foreign conuterparts (ie australian, south african, new zealanders, east german, Dutch.. etc) who have immigrated to the south as a result of their countries 'liberal' ways. In their country's they would be considered quite low and intolerant. However in the usa (deepsouth) they are fully embraced despite their racist attitudes. There are a lot of these southern dirty 'hipster' types also who (ape) in dress only to create the illusion that places like Atlanta/savannah are 'progressive' but in reality those individuals are some of the lowest racist maggots you will ever meet. Some even have ties to organized hate groups and or feel sympathetic towards hate ideology. This is common in places like Savannah where uncredited colleges have convinced the masses that they are 'world class' institutions of creative development. When in fact they are not even accredited as such, nor are they even considered in the upper echelon of institutions. They are populated with vile racists who often refer to the indigenous people in their host towns in the most negative of ways. I hate Savannah and Atlanta. I hate the deep south and I shall always tell people the truth about this lie called the 'new south'. It is only new in it's techniques and processes to degrade, kill and oppress the lives of black males. And no I am not black.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CC

18 months ago

Someone, what is your background? Just curious since you say you're not black. No white person from the south, or north for that matter, cares that much about our disposition. I from Savannah. I remember not being able to land a job at a private club because of being dark-skinned with dreadlocks. I tried for three years straight. HR finally gave me the breakdown, if I wasn't working outside or in the kitchen, it would be next to impossible to work there. I'm a woman by the way. Originally CC from Rex, GA. Hoping that some of these connections I made here will be beneficial. My husband and I are talking about starting a business. Only way I'm starting to think one can make it here.

CC

18 months ago

Have to make a way out of no way. Maybe this experience of having me out of my element will push me towards what I'm striving for.

Undecided in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

18 months ago

Hello - I am even more undecided about the possibility of moving to Georgia after reading this forum. We are THINKING of moving to the Atlanta area. A well paying job for my husband would already be in place. The concern is employment for myself. We are looking at living in outside areas (ie Peachtree City, Fayetteville, Marietta, Kennesaw, Smyrna etc.) Is it just as difficult to find jobs in these towns as well? I have a strong office administration background but am willing to work hard at just about anything. Long story short, if it will be next to impossible for me to find a job then we won't move. Any input or info on areas close to Atlanta that would have jobs would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Mia Gomez in Bartlett, Illinois

18 months ago

Please help! My husband just got offered a once in a lifetime job offer in Atlanta. We are seriously considering it. We still have to sell our current home but wondering what are the best cities to raise children outside of Atlanta. He will be working downtown Atlanta, willing to drive 30-45 minutes. Our main priority is excellent school system and very safe neighborhood. Willing to pay 300k for homes. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sergand in Mikolow, Poland

4 months ago

IF talk about visting other countries, then I would say that I strongly recommend to visit Poland. For me it is a really great country. You can read about it here:
www.partykrakow.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

danielwork07@yahoo.com in Laurel, Maryland

3 months ago

How is Atlanta Georgia now compare to 3 years ago? Are there more jobs? Less crime? More opportunities?

Ren in Dallas, Texas

3 months ago

danielwork07@yahoo.com in Laurel, Maryland said: How is Atlanta Georgia now compare to 3 years ago? Are there more jobs? Less crime? More opportunities?

I moved from Atlanta to Texas two months ago after not being able to find work there for five years. Crime has gone down all over the country but Atlanta still has a lot of issues with street robberies, break-ins, home invasions, kidnapping/robberies(in rich areas)and the like.

I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area now. Here there are more jobs and more resources to help the under/unemployed to either find work or get free job training and certifications. I've had 3 interviews in the last week. I didn't average one interview per year in Georgia.

Tori in Mokena, Illinois

3 months ago

Hello all, I'm married with two children looking to relocate to Atlanta. My husband works for a very well known hospital here in Chicago, and I also an in the medical field. We are making a decent living but feel like with everything going up including the crime rates and increase in school closings that is time for a change. We already have some family members down in Atlanta,I'm just trying to see if this would be the best move for my family. Any and all advice is appreciated and welcomed.Thank you

Associate Broker: Brandi Callum in Covington, Georgia

3 months ago

Come on to Atlanta.

But you don't have to live directly in the city of Atlanta. There are many surrounding counties with amazing family friendly communities. I believe some of the top towns to raise your children are Covington(30016), Grayson (30017), Snellville (30078)and Lawrenceville 30044. But there are so many more. Come on to Atlanta and see for yourself. I will be happy to help you get acquainted with Atlanta. Just look me up at www.homebrokersinc.com and I will help get you moving!

Bob in LaGrange,Ga in Lagrange, Georgia

3 months ago

Ok folks, Here are my recommendations.
Do not move here until you are receiving your retirement/pension, This way you are in total control of your livelyhood and the G.O'L.B. network can't dictate your very existence.
Pay cash for a good bank owned home, All you will have is a city bill, property taxes are dirt cheap.
If you come here looking for a great paying job..good luck to you, When high paying jobs are posted on job agency sites I was told by locals that job agency workers will contact family members and close friends and hook them up first, You will be offered the crumbs.

3 months ago

Associate Broker: Brandi Callum in Covington, Georgia said: Come on to Atlanta.

But you don't have to live directly in the city of Atlanta. There are many surrounding counties with amazing family friendly communities. I believe some of the top towns to raise your children are Covington(30016), Grayson (30017), Snellville (30078)and Lawrenceville 30044. But there are so many more. Come on to Atlanta and see for yourself. I will be happy to help you get acquainted with Atlanta. Just look me up at www.homebrokersinc.com and I will help get you moving!

"Smaller the town...Greater the hypocrisy"

3 months ago

Tori in Mokena, Illinois said: Hello all, I'm married with two children looking to relocate to Atlanta. My husband works for a very well known hospital here in Chicago, and I also an in the medical field. We are making a decent living but feel like with everything going up including the crime rates and increase in school closings that is time for a change. We already have some family members down in Atlanta,I'm just trying to see if this would be the best move for my family. Any and all advice is appreciated and welcomed.Thank you

Tori, Checkout www.wghealth.org Its located in LaGrange,Ga which is about 45 minutes southwest of Atalanta. Best of luck to you - Bob

3 months ago

Bob in LaGrange,Ga in Lagrange, Georgia said: Tori, Checkout www.wghealth.org Its located in LaGrange,Ga which is about 45 minutes southwest of Atalanta. Best of luck to you - Bob

Here is our city link www.lagrangechamber.com

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.