Searching for Employment in Austin, before we relocate!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

I Brig in Bay Area, California

39 months ago

I have been submitting my resume to various companies, however no response. I have indicated on my cover letter and resume that I am relocating to Austin at own expense. Is my out of state address preventing job opportunities for me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DS in Saint Paul, Minnesota

39 months ago

Maybe. I did something similar while living in San Diego, CA and looking for work in several states in the Midwest. However, I put in my resume summary (plus on Dice & Monster job boards) that I was moving to <city & state>, when I was moving, what areas (suburbs/cities/states) I was interested in working in, and when I would be available for interviewing. This seemed to generate a better response from recruiters in the states & cities I had listed, although some recruiters didn't bother reading my summary. Also, once I moved to the Twin Cities, I received more recruiter emails and more interviews. But it does take time so be patient.

Don't just contact specific companies. Also contact recruiters, temp agencies, and use the local Texas Workforce website to find jobs in Austin. Every state has a Workforce website to help the unemployed find work. Networking is the way to land many jobs in this economy - do you already know people in Austin that you can network with (share your resume, talk about jobs, etc)?

Keep in mind - companies all over the US are receiving hundreds of job applications, resumes, etc. Just keep trying - it took me over a year to find a job and I had to move out of CA to do it! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.