DON'T WORK FOR GIANT FOOD

Comments (1 to 50 of 90)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

cgroncki in Saint Louis, Missouri

95 months ago

Don't work for Giant Food They will tell
you what they think you want to hear and turn around and do the complete opposite.
I should know I worked for them and thank
god I quit that company. They LIE to
people just to get them into the company.

kevin in Arnold, Maryland

92 months ago

i just got a job there how much do they pay you

brad in Bel Air, Maryland

84 months ago

i work there now. and i make 6.60. its horrible. they told me i would be a bagger. and they have me doing ppu. and now im turning sixteen soon and hear that im not going to be a cashier! but a shelf stocker! plus, they make me mop floors, clean bathrooms and take out trash. and i did not sign up to clean any bathrooms. its ridiculous. and my boss is like foreign and i cant understand what he says. and she dont get our schedules until saturday when the schedule starts on that sunday! so we get one day notice of when we have to work! because my incompetant boss cant do anything! and he also cant schedule people correctly, sometimes we have three baggers schedules and only two cashiers. its ridiculous. noone likes working there. it the worst job ever! dont work there!

GrocCLERK in Essex, Maryland

63 months ago

george in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: just applied for giant and there is NO union,dont no what my pay will be yet

In some states you have the option to be union or not. My mom, a Store Manager, transferred from a Maryland Story to a Virginia Store and they do have an option. but if you have an option i say stay out of the union. all they do is take your money and arent really there when you need them (if you ever will)

diva in Rockville, Maryland

63 months ago

I have worked for giant for about 8 years now and it is terriable. They hire these young ass kids that don’t wanna work or come to work. The managers are dumb as hell. Don’t work there you will hate it. Trust me !

rob m

63 months ago

great store

rob m

63 months ago

frozen is teh best

jenna in Bel Air, Maryland

62 months ago

brad in Bel Air, Maryland said: i work there now. and i make 6.60. its horrible. they told me i would be a bagger. and they have me doing ppu. and now im turning sixteen soon and hear that im not going to be a cashier! but a shelf stocker! plus, they make me mop floors, clean bathrooms and take out trash. and i did not sign up to clean any bathrooms. its ridiculous. and my boss is like foreign and i cant understand what he says. and she dont get our schedules until saturday when the schedule starts on that sunday! so we get one day notice of when we have to work! because my incompetant boss cant do anything! and he also cant schedule people correctly, sometimes we have three baggers schedules and only two cashiers. its ridiculous. noone likes working there. it the worst job ever! dont work there!

poor brad, i worked with you and know that crap wasnt fair..my dumb self still works there...ugh

grunt in Easton, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

they treat there workers like dirt. management needs to grow up and stop play favorites iv been working there for 2 1/2 years and its always going to be the same crap if u dont need the benefits dont work there

bobwilson in Fort Myers, Florida

59 months ago

Gigi in Washington, District of Columbia said: I agree about the Capitolism is only as good as the social justice it provides....If they wish not to support the social justice and it's workers then one day they will faulter on business cause the word will get out if someone would be brave enough to take this issue about Giant Food and put it on the news

Gigi
Washington DC
Ex-assistance manager to Safeway(affliate of Giant)both owned and operated by the same people same company

Gigi,

Giant is not an affiliate of Safeway. They are competitors. Giant is owned by Royal Ahold and Safeway is independent. Just thought I would clear that up for you.

theterrible1 in Purcellville, Virginia

59 months ago

Ria in Laurel, Maryland said: I just got hired at Giant. 7.25 an hr. As a cashier. I really needed a job, but 7.25/hr coming from Harris Teeter making 10.75 is a big difference. But ever job has its faults. I rather enjoy working at Giant. Alot more than working at HT. Grocery isn't for everyone.lol.

Harris Teeter is a crappy company. Go check-out the Grafe auction website, they are always auctioning off equipment from Harris Teeter stores that went out of business in their home state of NC.

Ria in Arlington, Virginia

59 months ago

Yeah. I know Harris Teeter was pretty crappy. I didn't even give notice when I quit I just left. I'm pregnant and it was during my first trimester when I quit, I told them I was pregnant and everything changed. They started giving me 10 hr shifts, making me clean more, making me take stuff down in the freight elevator. I just couldn't take it. They would get mad because of how bad my morning sickness was. Giant hired me. On the spot. Big 6 month belly and all. There are a few shady managers there but the customer service manager is decent.

theterrible1 in Round Hill, Virginia

59 months ago

Ria in Arlington, Virginia said: Yeah. I know Harris Teeter was pretty crappy. I didn't even give notice when I quit I just left. I'm pregnant and it was during my first trimester when I quit, I told them I was pregnant and everything changed. They started giving me 10 hr shifts, making me clean more, making me take stuff down in the freight elevator. I just couldn't take it. They would get mad because of how bad my morning sickness was. Giant hired me. On the spot. Big 6 month belly and all. There are a few shady managers there but the customer service manager is decent.

Try to get a job at Wegmans, it's still a family owned company and they treat their employees very well.

busytire in Owings Mills, Maryland

58 months ago

I have worked for GIANT Foods for almost ten yrs now and have seen a steady decline in the attitude and moral standards of the employees and management team. If you are considering to work for GIANT then you need to do a few things to protect yourself from abuse.

1) Write down the exact time you punch in and out according to the time clock.

2) If anything is done or said to you that is inappropriate write it down right away, stop what you are doing go write it down. If you have to
tape it for your own record.

3) If you work with theses managers you must record everything said and done to you or another employee:

nascar15 in Vienna, Virginia

57 months ago

george in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: just applied for giant and there is NO union,dont no what my pay will be yet

I work for Giant and and when you get hired it is you choice to join the Union or not. I did not join the union

nascar15 in Vienna, Virginia

57 months ago

giany in Cockeysville, Maryland said: im 14 and just applied online for giant im scared because its my first job and i rellay want is it hard to get a job at groceries stores

I work at on the Giant store in Northern Virginia, so far it was easy getting a job their. At the store that I'm at they treat me like that I have been with the store for a long time. I'm on my 4th month working at Giant. If you get a job as a bagger sometimes some baggers have to do parcel pickup that Courtesy Clerk that means getting the shopping carts from the parking lot and bringing them back to the store enterance, A Courtesy Clerk has to clean up spills and collect the trash and do the shopping carts. If you get along with you boss/supervisor and he/she likes how you do you job then. you might get reward. I was the employees of the Week couple weeks back at my store and I got a $10 Giant Gift Card. My boss asked me if I wanted to learn about the self checkout.

I do like working for Giant to me at my store seems like everyone gets along together that is the key thing.

Good luck.

LadyMars in Arlington, Virginia

57 months ago

Sad I was happy when I started a month ago. Now I am fed up. I am 8 months preg and get no sympathy. I am often the closing cashier and when I asked about gettin different hrs last week the just gave me 2 days this week to work. AND just called me to ask if I can work 2mor 4-11 and I didn't answer on purpose they left another message sayin they put me on the schedule.BULL! I dont even know what to do.

busytire01 in Owings Mills, Maryland

57 months ago

The policy is that if they give you 24 hours notice you have to work it. Before you go out on maternity leave make sure you get your paperwork in well before your last day. You need an FMLA and not sure what else. Good luck.

badboychantilly va in Bronx, New York

55 months ago

Giant food sucks treat there worker horrible bad and they dnt care what u do and union sits on there ass I hope both company go down because giant and union care about money all they care about union never show up about get fired bc got in argument with stop and stwert she was union person at store and she goes report me in said kill her family and put bomb in her car wtf never say thous kinda staff union stop/stwert she has drinking issua Alot drink everyday missing up with brains she needs help have meeting next week and enjoy if do get fired am rep my shirt and right some staff on shirt then throw it at the manger bc they all suck treat works like ass

nascar15 in Herndon, Virginia

55 months ago

Has any worked 8 hours before, and I was just wondering how you clock out for lunch?

De in Rosedale, Maryland

55 months ago

nascar15 in Herndon, Virginia said: Has any worked 8 hours before, and I was just wondering how you clock out for lunch?

I believe it is 30 min.

nascar15 in Herndon, Virginia

55 months ago

De in Rosedale, Maryland said: I believe it is 30 min.

I know it is a 30 minute lunch break, I was just wondering how do I clock out for lunch since this will be my first time working 8 hours

thisisbad in Lexington Park, Maryland

53 months ago

I have been working at the giant in california md store for a little over a year now and i must say, it has been the most miserable year i have ever experienced. I started working midnights on the night crew and i thought the job was great. The team of guys i work with are incredibly hard workers and we do our best to produce 100% everynight. The job was great until we were switched to day work.

I was written up today for being absent a week ago for being sick. I had food poisening and was vommitting heavily, and had severe diarreah. I recall calling out and having the perishable manager scream at me on the phone and demand i come to work even though i was sick. The managers of giant do not care about there employees or there customers.

I have only been written up once for being absent but on my notification i received today says i have been absent 4 times. I do not miss work.

I have witnessed the store manager reprimand employees in front of customers. Our store manager has gone as far as screaming at the employees in front of customers. She tries to make everybody scared of her, and does not like anyone who isn't and doesn t take her abuse. My mother left the company because of her unfair treatment. My brother and i however are stuck here until we find different jobs.

Because i never recived notice of the previous 3 write ups, can they still use those to terminate my employment? I have only signed one notice. What do i do? Anybody have any ideas?

thisisbad in Lexington Park, Maryland

53 months ago

I work for the california md store. Would anyone have the number for my districts union rep?

busytire01 in Reisterstown, Maryland

53 months ago

Read my prior comments. Document EVERYTHING, call the union and consult a civil rights attorney. Do not sign Anything, even if you are told you have to sign, don't do it.
By the way what is her name?

53 months ago

I dont have your number but ask at customer service or one of your co workers also go on the website. Cant post numbers on this site sorry. Just try googleing.... ufcw

53 months ago

very angry mother in Nottingham, Maryland said: my daughter has worked for Giant in Bel Air, MD since her junior year in high school, when Bel Air store closed she was transferred to White Marsh. There is a witch there by the name of Donna Kelly who thinks she is the queen bee of the store~~~she talks down to the employees in front of customers, she belittles her employees and nobody does anything. THIS WILL GET YOU!!! My daughter lost her baby before it was due and had to be put in the hospital for emergancy surgery to remove the baby. She was written up this morning by Donna Kelly for missing work. As it is not stressful enough that someone just lost their baby but to go to work and get written up for it is a disgrace. Does anyone know who I can call to complain about the write up???

I have worked for this woman. Please spread the word about GIANT Management. See my previous posts.

53 months ago

very angry mother in Nottingham, Maryland said: my daughter has worked for Giant in Bel Air, MD since her junior year in high school, when Bel Air store closed she was transferred to White Marsh. There is a witch there by the name of Donna Kelly who thinks she is the queen bee of the store~~~she talks down to the employees in front of customers, she belittles her employees and nobody does anything. THIS WILL GET YOU!!! My daughter lost her baby before it was due and had to be put in the hospital for emergancy surgery to remove the baby. She was written up this morning by Donna Kelly for missing work. As it is not stressful enough that someone just lost their baby but to go to work and get written up for it is a disgrace. Does anyone know who I can call to complain about the write up???

Call a cival rights attorney

de in Rosedale, Maryland

53 months ago

The union Local 27 will not do anything for you unfortunately. they are deep in the pockets of Giant Food Management. It has always been a known fact. Only if you are drinking buddies or party buddies do they come to your aid. Get a GOOD lawyer.

Maria in Mc Lean, Virginia

53 months ago

What is giant's employee website thingy to access your paystubs. I requested paper stubs and never got them -___-

53 months ago

myhrexpress.com

ssm in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

i am looking for this guy jordan that works at safeway in maryland :( if anyone has any ideas let me know. thanks

de in Nottingham, Maryland

53 months ago

I have someone very dear to my heart that works for GIANT FOOD. It breaks my heart to see him humiliated beyond belief by upper management in specifically a rude district mgr who thinks that he knows everything about everything except manners and civility. To make matters worse the employees of thus illustrious store rides on his coat tails and chides in on the treatment of this poor soul. I thought that there was a code of ethics at GIANT but I guess it's for the flava of the day...

53 months ago

I have a question; Are people that unhappy with themselves and life that they enjoy belittling and me-lining their coworkers and get off when they see others doing it. But they would be the first ones coming to see them in a fuzzy box at the funeral home and shaking my hand telling my husband and I what a great son that I HAD!!!!!! You all know who you are, don't ya and so do I.

lynda in Baltimore, Maryland

53 months ago

de in Nottingham, Maryland said: I have someone very dear to my heart that works for GIANT FOOD. It breaks my heart to see him humiliated beyond belief by upper management in specifically a rude district mgr who thinks that he knows everything about everything except manners and civility. To make matters worse the employees of thus illustrious store rides on his coat tails and chides in on the treatment of this poor soul. I thought that there was a code of ethics at GIANT but I guess it's for the flava of the day...

why do all the employees openly whine on the sales floor at giant on belair road (by rossville blvd.)is that where that mean ol supervisor works ?...

theterrible1 in Purcellville, Virginia

52 months ago

Treatuslikewearepeople in Silver Spring, Maryland said: It seems like all giant does is hire incompetent ignorant mean cruel inhumane selfish sadistic and did i mention inhumane managers that seem to be on their own goals at the store.I've had front end managers who rufuses to let me use the bathroom.
she would say take your break and its only been 45mins since i started my shift. im diabetic and have heart problems so i have to take diuretics so it makes me run to the bathroom often. and i do try to hold it in but not to point where i will wet myself. so yeah... giant use to be the best place to work for now its my hell. cant quit need money that kinda thing.

Giant Food only hires "yes-men" to manage their stores. The real problem is that these managers are trained to act the way the do, it's the only way for them to keep their jobs. You see, the upper management sees an employee who's been around for 10,15,20 years and all the think is "how can we replace this person with another that we can pay half as much". THAT IS THE BELIEF AT THE TOP AND IT TRICKELS DOWN TO THE STORE MANAGEMENT.

Frank in Arlington, Virginia

52 months ago

I worked in store 751 back in 2006, worst job ever. Was promised a management position but got the run around instead in the form of some training program. This was just an excuse to give me extra responsibilities with no raise. I ran the store during the busiest hours with half the crew on any other day. After I was finished trainng, they just pulled some one else off the street and started them on management pay. I called the union (which I was forced to join) and my rep just laughed and said "they do that," then I got fired the next day for contacting the union.

JOEYY in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

51 months ago

diva in Rockville, Maryland said: I have worked for giant for about 8 years now and it is terriable. They hire these young ass kids that don’t wanna work or come to work. The managers are dumb as hell. Don’t work there you will hate it. Trust me !

yea datz tru on real stuff...i work at giant in upper marlboro..and swear 2 god the managers be playing wit our schedules...i turned 18 on jan 18..so im supposed 2 be working 5+ hours...afta 1 month pass...sum manager walked up 2 me..an said..did u juz turned 18?..im juz like..no dip i been 18 for a straight month...im bouta quit dat job cuz dey pay do sucks an taxes are a killer if u making over 100

JennyCash in Norristown, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

I've worked at Giant a little over three months in produce and it's a great job.
Retail management that cares about you is rare, just do your job and be glad you have it.
If you don't like being treated like a grunt, go to school and get a job that isn't retail.

anoynmous in Columbia, Maryland

51 months ago

the pay isnt amazing but the job isnt too grueling. easy money especially working mornings. be friendly and the job is a breeze. ive been bagging and working casheier for a few weeks and havent found too much too complain about

partimer in Silver Spring, Maryland

51 months ago

I started a few weeks ago at the Safeway and I am making 7.60 per hour as a cashier. The hours are pretty good. But it is a part-time job for me. The worst part is the customers that you have to deal with. It is a good start for a first job or if you really need the money. I'm making some extra money so I won't complain.

LYONS DEN IN TEXAS

51 months ago

ACustomer in Waldorf, Maryland said: LOL......He (Jim Lowthers)

I have to disagree. Jim has a very fat ass and is good in the sack. He takes it like the man he is and doesn't scream or anything. Plus he shaves his balls which makes it nice for everybody. Keep it "up" Jim. Hope we meet in that bathroom again.

LYONS DEN IN TEXAS

51 months ago

nascar15 in Vienna, Virginia said: ___________________________________

I work at on the Giant store in Northern Virginia, so far it was easy getting a job their. At the store that I'm at they treat me like that I have been with the store for a long time. I'm on my

YOU SOUND LIKE A TOTAL SUCK ASS. THANKS FOR KISSING MGMT'S BALLS.

LYONS DEN IN TEXAS

51 months ago

connie in Bel Air, Maryland said: It says "DON'T WORK FOR GIANT" So what are you smoking. I worked there for over 8 1/2 years

I AM SMOKING CRACK AND HAVE BEEN FOR TWENTY FOUR YEARS. I KNOW ALL THERE IS ABOUT CRACK AND CRANK. I ALSO ENJOY HUFFING GOLD SPRAY PAINT. AND YES THE GOLD IS THE BEST. GIANT FOODS BRINGS OUT THE BEST IN ME CAUSE THEY HAVE THE BEST RESTROOMS FOR SMOKING AND HUFFING. CANT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES I WENT IN THERE, SMOKED, HUFFED, SHOT SOME DOPE, JACKED OFF AND THEN WENT OUT AND HELPED CUSTOMERS. SHOOK THEIR HANDS TOO. MY HOMEY EVEN SCORED SOME ASS IN THOSE RESTROOMS. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES GIANT FOODS.

LYONS DEN IN TEXAS

51 months ago

theterrible1 in Purcellville, Virginia said: For all of you, stay away from Giant Food. When Ahold bought Giant, they took out ads in all the news papers PROMISING CUSTOMERS NOTHING AT GIANT WOULD CHANGE! This was an out-right lie, there were plans to change things before they were bought-out. Now, if the company that owns Giant is willing FLAT-OUT LIE TO THEIR CUSTOMERS, HOW DO YOU THINK THEY WILL TREAT YOU AS AN EMPLOYEE? Further more, NEVER BELIEVE THE UNION WILL DO ANYTHING HELP YOU. The Local 400 is corupt, they have screwed-up the pension fund and have CHEATED member out of thier money. Jim Lowthers talks a good game about what a "good contract" he was able to negotiate, but the contract is written in a way that WILL ALWAYS FAVOR THE COMPANY NOT THE EMPLOYEE. If this wasn't true the company wouldn't agree to it. Jim Lowthers wants you to think he's your friend, but he's just

I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T LIKE JIM BUT HE HAS A VERY FAT ASS THAT WE ALL CAN LOVE. HE TAKES IT ALL AND DOESN'T EVEN SCREAM. IF YOU ASK NICE HE WILL GIVE YOU A REACH AROUND. HE LOVES HAVING HIS EARS NIBBLED ON. ALSO HE WEARS A DOG COLLAR WITH STUDS WHICH IS SUCH A TURN ON. THANKS FOR EVERYTHING JIM. WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

51 months ago

There are some REALLY screwed up people who are employed by Giant, in specific the ones who like to be called manager of whatever it is they do. They must have had an in to the title. My son and I were shopping wal mart,yes Giant Food wal mart. I went in to get my rx's filled that Fri. nite my son spotted a Giant food Mgr or so she likes to be called come out of wal mart while he was waiting for me, now today he hears that the DM of Giant Food was shopping wal mart with his whole family and heard terrible things said about him? What the hay? I was getting a rx filled he was outside most of the time, somebody smoken somthin' there. This is the SAME so called mgr that told the florist lady that mom would file a sexual harassment claim against her her if she didn't fix the rose right. I really think this woman has an elaborate mind and needs help in occupying what goes on in it. She really must hate this other employee to say such sick things. I can promise It is documented.......

51 months ago

It is also ashame that if you work at a local Giant Food and you see another employee out and about that you cannot extent a wave except to stab one in the back, even when you are on sick leave. What are they doing. It can go both ways you know. She does read this site. He is a really nice young man leave him alone stop the lies.

Anon in Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

I think some of the worst of it is that with the store I work at, they can fire you for talking about it ONLINE. Seriously. What the hell is that about?

starrzie in Allentown, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

theterrible1 in Purcellville, Virginia said: Giant Food only hires "yes-men" to manage their stores. The real problem is that these managers are trained to act the way the do, it's the only way for them to keep their jobs. You see, the upper management sees an employee who's been around for 10,15,20 years and all the think is "how can we replace this person with another that we can pay half as much". THAT IS THE BELIEF AT THE TOP AND IT TRICKELS DOWN TO THE STORE MANAGEMENT.

This is absolutely true. My ex husband is a very sweet hard working man who worked every time they wanted him to for 9 years. He really never said no. He never took sick or days off or used vacation. Worked holidays, nights, any dirty job, was always pleasant and nice. After 9 perfect years he made one teeny tiny mistake on the job and they fired him - no writeup no warning. This is a mean evil money grubbing company who has policies that are directly against their employees. Do not stay there long. You are are already doomed.

GMU4.0 in Fairfax, Virginia

49 months ago

I am glad to be at GMU and not at Giant. I started working at Loehmanns Plaza in July 09. The job was okay until Nizam Mohammed came. He liked to nitpick people even me for nothing. He played around with everyone's schedule and deducted hours for nothing. I used to work 35 hrs per week and it got deducted to 15-25, thanks to him. I sometimes started early and finished late because of customer service. Nizam then wrote me up for that kind of attendance. He also made up a lie that he lost money on WICS just so he would get nosy on what we use for WICs and then get us into trouble. I was glad to transfer out of there to another GIant to get away from him. Then at the other Giant, I was made a bagger and had 5 months run around until late AUgust when I became a cashier thanks to the Union. While a bagger, I had to endure Martha Machuca and Saliha's rude and bullying behavior and working outside in the heat pushing carts. Angela Carter sometimes she can be nice and sometimes she can be rude. The thing that really got me with Angie, was last December when she threatened to take me off the register and I would stay a bagger. They only gave me a raise from 7.6 only to 8.1 an hour. They would never let me work fulltime and I would have to wait a year and a half to get benefits. I think that Nizam and Angie are manipulated by Ahold.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.