Radio Use during Hurricane Katrina

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Kelly in Greensboro, North Carolina

87 months ago

I am a student at Elon University and I am working on a project about radio during Hurricane Katrina. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about their use of radio during the hurricane. Was there any specific broadcast that made an impression on you? Did anyone called the radio station during the Hurricane? All feedback is appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BR_Rat in Dallas, Texas

79 months ago

Contact these two talk radio stations: www.wjbo.com (BR) and www.wwl.com (NO). Most ppl got their info from those two.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

clayton in Kingfisher, Oklahoma

78 months ago

I am a Ham radio operator. While working with a construction company after katrina. I tried to volunteer with the "red cross" in Slidel in my spare time. They were located behind a armed enclosed fence along with the national guard, and city/state personal. I was told by armed guards to leave along with other people, who were looking for help. I turned out driving to the edge of florida to find an open store, wal-mart. I bought a load of peanut butter, bread, and bottled water and returned to slidel, la. I was told by the local police (couple of kids) I was not a registered charity and would face being arrested if I didn't leave. I will never volunteer with the red cross, donate, or help in any way any hurricane or natural disaster again. This conclusion was also supported by the way the red cross treated the locals during the May 3, 1999 tornado in Oklahoma. Money has a way of distroying any cheritable organization.
Clayton

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Natalie in Walker, Louisiana

73 months ago

I remember that listening to the radio then was a lot less lonely. I also remember wanting to see the images I was hearing about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

danellis69@gmail.com in Eureka Springs, Arkansas

65 months ago

As Hurricane Katrina transplant I have promoted Mardi Gras in the Ozarks. (www.Krazo.Ureeka.Org) I am now trying to promote the Longest 2nd Line in the World on Mardi Gras Day -- (www.L2LW.Org)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.