Best companies to work for in Charlotte?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Host

What companies are fueling growth in Charlotte? Why are they a great employer?

Reply - Report abuse

local in Charlotte, North Carolina

86 months ago

Most are driven here by some affiliation with the Banks. BofA is a good company, but be prepared for constant change and the ever present risk of job elimination. It is part of their culture.
Wachovia is also a great company but with less transition. Often that will translate to slower progression. Trade off is worth it for many.
Duke Power is also a big player in the market.
On the hospitality/restaurant side. Lots and lots of corporate chains are here. Reality is because there are so many, if you want to advance in the industry you need that experience. Top growing companies are Salsaritas which is on an unbelievable growth pattern. Fuel Pizza is also in heavy expansion mode. Marriott City Center is an amazingly well managed hotel and well worth the time for anyone starting out. This is emphasized by the opening of a Ritz Carlton (owned by Marriott) in the next few years. That experience could get you in the door.
Companies to avoid would be Harpers Restaurnat Group for management. Turn and burn mentality with an unbelievable management turn over rate. For hourly (waitstaff etc) it is a good company with lots of opportunities.
Jillians is also rifling through all level of management. Perhaps you will view that as an opportunity, but be warned... they eat up management as part of a poorly designed growth plan.
On to medical. So many opportunities in the city and really a lack. If you have ever considered a career in the medical field, do it! Start with simple courses at CPCC and then get practical work experience at a number of outlets all over the city. Just remember, these are often swing shift positions with odd schedules. Not exactly a 9-5er.
There are also some unique positions coming on line with the City and County with the new lite rail system. Solid ground floor opportunities.
Start ups with potential: Elevator Channel and ESP. I am sure there are more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Charlotte, North Carolina

84 months ago

Hey Local, I am not from the area, just moved here about 1 year and a half ago. I love the city but where are the good employers who want great employees, who will show up for work on time, will do what is required, often going above and beyond, and employers that do not mind in investing in their employees.
I've applied to the companies that you have listed, and I've yet to hear back. I call and they tell me that my resume is on file and if they are interested they will contact me. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong, I have a geat work history, and I am a hard worker, not to mention I have a college degree, but it seems to me it's all who you know
somebody help me out please!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

local in Charlotte, North Carolina

84 months ago

Cynthia,
Welcome to Charlotte! Your assesment that it is who you know is very true for several industries. It all really comes down to what kind of career you are trying to get and where you are willing to start. Keep an eye on the CareerBuilder section of the Charlotte Observer (Sunday). About every 3 weeks or so they will list Career Fairs. I know, I know... major pain in the &$^#^^# to go to a cattle call, but it puts you face to face with the employers. Come ready with plenty of resumes and have that 10 second intro down pat. Do not get monopolized by one company though. I have seen it a thousand times. Little Joey shows up to the Career Fair. ACME Industries grabs little bright eyed Joey, look at his resume, ask him to fill out some form, make hime wait an hour to talk to someone, then make him wait to talk to someone else... repeat and rinse as needed. End of the day, Joey meets with 1 company and they do not hire him.
Go in and be ready to say, "Sorry, I do not have time to wait right now, but I would gladly schedule an interview with you. How does Monday look?" Be willing to meet with them that day, but set the time. "I can meet with you at 2pm today." They will try very hard to keep you there at their table. Simply say you have other companies to see... and then go work that floor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

john baldo

84 months ago

Host said: What companies are fueling growth in Charlotte? Why are they a great employer?
what are the best companies to work for in Charlotte

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

local in Concord, North Carolina

84 months ago

john baldo said: what are the best companies to work for in Charlotte

John,
I believe your question is answered in the first post. *shrug*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elliott@ctc.net in Concord, North Carolina

70 months ago

I have two years of on the job experience and over three years of technical schooling, I am looking for work in the Charlotte metro area in the HVAC-R Field. I have commercial and residential experience and some refrigeration. Can anyone point me in the direction of a hiring employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lookbothways in Fort Mill, South Carolina

66 months ago

HVACTECH12 in Concord, North Carolina said: Sounds interesting could you send me some info. on it. Email me and I will foward my adress to you. Elliott@ctc.net

Be careful HVACTECH12.

If this is such a great company why does Scarleth live in Nicaragua?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jamadd in Tampa, Florida

66 months ago

beware, lots of scammers out there. When you see such offers ask yourself, "why would this perfect stranger offer me such a unique and appealing opportunity?" If it sounds too good to be true.....
Best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HVACTECH12 in Concord, North Carolina

66 months ago

i TOTALLY AGREE; THATS WHY I AM NOT GIVING MY PERSONAL INFO OUT IN THIS FOURM. This is a multy level marketing deal where they sell vitimans. I am not interested.There is no legitimate way to get that kind of money fast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scarleth in Managua, Nicaragua

66 months ago

I still live in Nicaragua because I have only 4 months working for this company but because of this company I'm ready to leave my current full-time job, but if all of you mistrust of me just because I'm from Nicaragua then what about Bonnie Taylor, Dr. Rob Robertson, David Lisonbee and many others who at the present time are more than rich people and live in The States, huh?

And for jamadd, the answer is because this is the way that this business is developed offering opportunities to people like you even if you are not interested, and also this business is NOT promising you're gonna be rich tomorrow, it says you only work 2-5 years to get financial independence, why would you prefer to be working for a boss more than 40 years to retire old, tired and sick if you may retire 2 years from now, young and healthy, huh?

HVACTECH12, you really don't know what the Immune System means, right?

This company doesn't sell vitamins, go to the drug store if you want vitamins, we work with Transfer Factors, they increase your Immune System 437%, now tell me what VITAMIN offers that to you?

You know, I thought the same the first time I heard about Network Marketing, I thought "Another Pyramid" where the higher is the winner, but now I realize with this company that all of that crap about Network Marketing is no more than crap, there's always somebody trying to scare you. Somebody asked to Donnald Trump this: If you lose all your money, what would you do to be millionaire again? He said Network Marketing and everybody laughed at him, then he said that's the reason why you are THERE and I'm HERE.

So think about it, I'm not trying to swindle you, besides I'm only a stranger from Nicaragua, right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jamadd in Tampa, Florida

66 months ago

I recommend a nice cup of green tea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JGray87 in New Jersey

66 months ago

My mother works for this company too, she came into the business 8 months ago with somebody from Puerto Rico and at the present time she's getting more than $ 10,000 per month and increasing.

When you get an opportunity like this one, certainly you can't believe it, but thanks God my mother gave it a shot, even when my own family was saying "Come on, wake up, nobody offers opportunities like this and Puerto Rico? Please..."

I recommend to pay attention to this girl, believe me this is real and she knows what she's talking about, at least give her a shot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

brad24smith in Texas

66 months ago

Hey Scarleth, I'd like to know about the business, last year my father heard about it, he was not interested in the business but he bought a treatment for presure, he had been taking a pill over more than seven years, after the treatment he's been totally healthy and never took the pill again, I saw how these products helped him and I'd like to have my own business, Is the price for the tools still $36.5?... I want to enroll, can you help me please?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Hey JGray87, thanks, you know when people see this coming up they (obviously) think “somebody is trying to swindle me”, but you’re right, people use the most stupid way to “defend” themselves from something that really doesn’t exist, like the idea of swindling people (at least with this company), but they don’t realize they’re letting go an opportunity of a lifetime. Anyway, thanks for supporting me, and... your mother REALLY grew fast.

Hi brad24smith, these are the steps to enroll with 4Life:

1. Fill up the inscription papers.
2. Pay for The Compass ($ 36.5) in any 4Life Factory.

Now, as a new Leader the company requires 100 pts every month, these points can be sold or consumed. 100 pts = $ 130 + or – depending on the products you buy.

Then you start your own network:
1st Level: When you enrol someone (under the same conditions that you are, with all of these steps) the company pays you 25% of their purchase only the first month, after 1 month the comp. pays 2%. Example: you personally enroll 6 people, they buy their 100 pts, and then the comp. pays like $ 150 the first month, the second and all the others 2% = like $ 12.

2nd Level: the comp. always pays 25% here. Example: the 6 people who you personally enrolled have been doing the same and they have 6 people everyone, that means you have 36 people in your 2nd level = 3,600 pts x 25%, the comp. pays you $ 900.

They will be increasing and you are gonna receive a payment for all of them with the same 100 pts that you’re consuming. If you personally enrol 10 people and they too then you receive more than $ 7,000 per month (not including Power Pool Bonus and many others benefits)

Well, this is the basic, tell me your email to send you the inscription papers. Bye

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

HVACTECH12 in Concord, North Carolina

66 months ago

YEA YEA, im sure you could be the next Bill Gates, ALL multi level marketing groups say the same thing, It has nothing to do with what country your from. T he product may very well be a good product but you will not get extremely wealthy selling them. mULTI LEVEL MARKETING IS A RIP OFF. iM SURE YOU COULD SELL SOME AND MAKE A FAIR INCOME . But this is no differant than Amway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

HVACTECH12 in Concord, North Carolina said: YEA YEA, im sure you could be the next Bill Gates, ALL multi level marketing groups say the same thing, It has nothing to do with what country your from. T he product may very well be a good product but you will not get extremely wealthy selling them. mULTI LEVEL MARKETING IS A RIP OFF. iM SURE YOU COULD SELL SOME AND MAKE A FAIR INCOME . But this is no differant than Amway.

And you think that 200,000.00 people are coming into these business every month because they want a "fair income"? And they don't stop, they keep working, making huge incomes, if this doesn't work out then Why are they still in this sort of business?

It's true, all these companies have the same system, but not all of them pay the same. That doesn't mean they're fraud, that means that they're having good results, all you have to do is choose the company which offers the best payment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robinnc in Belmont, North Carolina

65 months ago

Yea.....people are desperate this days....This is nothing but a scam.....people in this business LOVES a recession to try to hook people!!!!!!!!! total BS................

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

HVAC TECH12 in Concord, North Carolina

65 months ago

Robinnc in Belmont, North Carolina said: Yea.....people are desperate this days....This is nothing but a scam.....people in this business LOVES a recession to try to hook people!!!!!!!!! total BS................

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY, JUST ANOTHER AMWAY LOOK A LIKE

pattersonc

63 months ago

Cynthia in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Hey Local, I am not from the area, just moved here about 1 year and a half ago. I love the city but where are the good employers who want great employees, who will show up for work on time, will do what is required, often going above and beyond, and employers that do not mind in investing in their employees.
I've applied to the companies that you have listed, and I've yet to hear back. I call and they tell me that my resume is on file and if they are interested they will contact me. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong, I have a geat work history, and I am a hard worker, not to mention I have a college degree, but it seems to me it's all who you know

I agree with you. I am in the same situation and am having a very hard time finding employment. I was laid off of my job and you are right, I have applied to several companies and called and they tell me the same thing. I am originally from Jersey and did not have these problems. I am currently in college working towards my degree. I have been living here for 11 years and still are experiencing the same thing. Unfortunately, I have no answer for you because I feel your pain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

neanea in Bedford, Ohio

63 months ago

I am a new RN grad, looking to relocate to the charlotte, nc area this August. I was just down in the Matthews, Concord area 2 months ago and love it. Does anyone have any idea how to make the transition?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

LookingTOO in Kannapolis, North Carolina

62 months ago

Cynthia in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Hey Local, I am not from the area, just moved here about 1 year and a half ago. I love the city but where are the good employers who want great employees, who will show up for work on time, will do what is required, often going above and beyond, and employers that do not mind in investing in their employees.

There are very few good employers who look for good people - most of the jobs around I have not heard from either. I don't know who is getting the jobs, but it doesn't appear they want the good people - just the cheaper ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

irwin ashby in Brooklyn, New York

41 months ago

i guess this is a long shot, so here goes i'm looking to relocate from nyc, i need a different place to relocate and its been on my mind quite awhile. i hv yrs of expereince in working in the facilities field, and if there are hotels that need workers i would very much like to try. i'm trying this to see if i get any positive responce. i have seen so many thread an wow but i am determin to relocate to NC charlotte any way in that state. i am use to doors closing in my face but hey one can only try. i look at this as my quest of determination yeah i know ''good luck'' dont beleave in luck. as the saying goes it's WHO YOU KNOW. I AM SURE THERE are good employer out there looking for good worker. like i said here goes. i welcome any positive reply. thanks.

PKgibson in Charlotte, North Carolina

39 months ago

There are too many people applying for every job. And employers are sitting on their hands because of the economy. Oh yea it's called a recession. And the Government lies about how bad it really is. Why do you think the Gov is holding on to their vaults of gold? Because our dollar is tanking in value and gold is probably the the only thing the Gov. has of any real value to other countries.

James in Charlotte, North Carolina

5 months ago

Elliott@ctc.net in Concord, North Carolina said: I have two years of on the job experience and over three years of technical schooling, I am looking for work in the Charlotte metro area in the HVAC -R Field. I have commercial and residential experience and some refrigeration. Can anyone point me in the direction of a hiring employer.

Morris Jenkins, I just had an interview there, was very impressed so far. :-)

James in Charlotte, North Carolina

5 months ago

jamadd in Tampa, Florida said: beware, lots of scammers out there. When you see such offers ask yourself, "why would this perfect stranger offer me such a unique and appealing opportunity?" If it sounds too good to be true.....
Best of luck

OMG you are so right with that, I accidently applied for 4 colleges the other day trying to sign up with talent bridge, I started getting all these calls to go to college, I was so mad, I was like a need a job not more college debt. If these colleges were really legit, they would not have to practice deceit to get your personal information and sell it when you do not agree to go into debt with their college, what a scam.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.